PDA

View Full Version : Blood Omen 1 Remake Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

EvilZephyr
23rd Sep 2005, 20:35
lol it would take you about 30 years to make BO1 in 3D anyway. And why not get a better editor?

And hey why remake BO1 in 3d? Why not keep it as it is only greatly improved graphics, no loading times, 60fps, maybe add a few spells and some story and were done!

The game would look great in 3D, especially with today's architecture. But, I would hope they would include the 2D version of the game, also (WITHOUT the loadtimes please!). The 2D version will always have a special place in my LoK heart.

robson001
7th Oct 2005, 14:46
I think that remaking BO1 would be a bad idea for a number of reasons.

1. We already know how the storyline goes, so plotwise, there would be very few spurpises.

2. Because of this, the amount of time that goes into this remake would be better spend by making a whole new game in the LoK series.

3. What's wrong with the original anyway ? So what if it looks dated. Let's not forget, it was the technology these days, and 3D gaming was still gaining momentum.
Fact of the matter is, BO1 is a fantastic game as it is right now, so why remake it ?
I agree with you. I missed BO1 at the time of its release, and I only had the chance to play it last year. Even so, I think it is the best title in the series. I wouldn't mind a remake tough...if so many people complains about it being hard to find, the remake could include the original, solved these loading problems etc.

DMraider
7th Oct 2005, 17:39
BO1 is kind of 80% 2D and 20 % 2D

If they remake it I don`t mind if they use the same approach, only far more detailed, nice lightning effects, framerate 60 fps.

Then fix the loading times.

But yea the old BO1 is still fine. I don`t mind the loading times really. The only thing when it`s annoying is when u want to select another weapon, especially when u are chopping trees and u need to switch weapons alot... Or when the music stops playing when u select different spells or weapons...

Still the remake could be awesome. There is so much u can do in BO1 and they can make that even greater in a (3D) remake.

DMraider
7th Oct 2005, 17:45
i beg to differ...if someone can make gta:san andreas then someone can make bo1...with all the buildings and all the eras...

Yea but graphically BO1 is better and the world is more diverse. Maleks bastion, nupraptors retreat they take a while to make. And yea in San andreas they just copy most of the roads.

The graphics of that game kinda suck.

LOL just looked at a SS.

It`s so blurry and undetailed ***k that man.

http://www.g-unleashed.com/files/16_vehicle_supergt.jpg

rabban
7th Oct 2005, 23:54
yeah...and bo1 was a great looking game with graphics that still hold up to todays standards. ;)

gta: sa was created on what will soon be considered a dated engine. the repetative roads you mention are purely a texture problem...again im sure that if gta sa could have been made a year ago then a complete nosgoth could be made today.

DMraider
8th Oct 2005, 09:09
LOL. I mean the possible new BO1.

The roads are meant to be repetative. At least most.

but in a game like BO1 there is more diverse landscape and stuff.

A whole nosgoth can be made but I`m sure in good graphics it would take a veryyyy long time to make.

rabban
8th Oct 2005, 12:48
have you played gta:sa?

there are at least 5 very rural areas and of those 5 areas 2 of them are HUGE!!!

trees all around...i think there was even an abandoned cabin somewhere.

trust me nosgoth can be made like that...with the ps3 and the 360 coming out...*shakes head in disbelief* nosgoth can be made like gta:sa easy...heck gta:sa is just a 3d version of bo1...only difference is the whole vehicle thing.

DMraider
8th Oct 2005, 18:08
Yea the power of the PS3 can handle the bigness (if DVDs can`t, blue ray can :D) and create great graphics.

but just San Andreas doesn`t look that good, and the game contains 1000s of buildings which most of them look all the same or a few changes, and yea the trees also look all the same I bet.

but BO1 is a different story. Fly to Nupraptors retreat or Maleks bastion. They`re both VERY big and a different story than copying big buildings. Each area looks alot different. Snow, rain, day and night.

It would be a dream come true though, if they`d release BO1 on PS3 when it just came out :)

rabban
8th Oct 2005, 19:06
but just San Andreas doesn`t look that good, and the game contains 1000s of buildings which most of them look all the same or a few changes, and yea the trees also look all the same I bet.

i'd have to play it again but the trees do vary in size...all the attention to scripting for varity in gtasa could be focused elsewhere in a nosgoth game.
and personally i think gtasa looked great!! i can use my imagination right now and feel certain streets in that game as familiar as my own.

bo1 is like 1/3 of gtasa and a ton smaller and it's buildings are just as repetative heck if i had some free time i could recreate nosgoth if i wanted too. i need to go to San francisco a lot and when i played the san fierro missions in gtasa i saw where my school was, i saw a recreation of city hall that while not exactly the same did match the overall building structure as well as the surrounding ones.

every major landmark was recreated to fit the game though placed differently and simplfied it was there and certain areas in the game gave me acute deja vu! i know what you mean by the detail in nosgoth but like i said it's a new world in gaming coming and it can be done.

DMraider
9th Oct 2005, 08:12
Is bo1 1/3 of San andreas? Maybe yes. But remember all the dungeons. And remember Dark Eden. u`d have to create a burning, black world infested with weird creatures.

But can u make games? If so how long do u think it will take u to create around 30 dungeons, big cities with people, BIG mountains and unique structures like nupraptors retreat (from the outside) , avernus in flames, the battle with 500-2000 soldiers each. gg try to make such a big battle. If you want to do it right it takes like 4 years for cd to make I bet.

rabban
9th Oct 2005, 09:51
it usually takes 2 years to create a lok game.

most games take 4 years.

i have friends,classmates and teachers that worked on games. the difference between lok and gta as far as level design is that most lok levels are made specifically as puzzles and find the key missions. in gta it's about roaming around and doing random stuff as well as various missions that continue the game.

i could make 30 dungeons easy in a 3d program lol...just make 10 dungeons and duplicate it twice, slap a few different textures here and there and move certain keys and there you go. it's the setup of the levels and the nature of the game that the designers wish to present that is frustrating you. i know lok can be made in this way...it won't match exactly but that is understandable because the level designs for the sarafan stronghold in lokd were very different from sr2.

big cities with people, BIG mountains and unique structures like nupraptors retreat (from the outside) , avernus in flames, the battle with 500-2000 soldiers each.

go to the black and white 2 webpage and look at screenshots.

go to ign and look at the first page of screenshots for the path of neo game...now look at the second to last image...that's for the ps2.

so 500 to a thousand is a piece of cake on a nextgen but there are other ways around this too...look at the lord of the rings games too.

i simply think a virtual nosgoth is capable of being made...heck they could add live stock too.

DMraider
9th Oct 2005, 16:44
Do you learn that on school? You make it sound very easy as if every dungeon is the same except for 2 changes.

I don`t want every dungeon to have the same sized rooms and detail.

Like Castlevania on PS2. It was a cool game but repetative areas

Smoke_Z
9th Oct 2005, 18:51
I'm re-playing Drakkan for ps2 right now. It's an old game, but it feels like an acceptable size for a BO remake. (The loading times are lousy, though it might just be restore from save that I'm noticing.)

How long do you think it will be before fans can take over the remake without getting sued?

rabban
9th Oct 2005, 20:49
i have not taken level design but i did take the game design class, my teach was from midway...(i still wonder each time i look at the suffering looks like my game design document a lot) but from what i have seen i feel that lok would be easy to duplicate but at the same time it will be dlifferent in someways.

for example, the camera would probably be designed in a more basic way then lokd. such a vast world you would want to see it all rather then be stuck with the cinematic one. with polygons it's easy to create levels in the 3d program what's hard imo is making them enjoyable...in sr2 i loved the air forge the most but in gta:sa i loved the entire desert and mountains and forests the most...it is alarming to go there once your done with the first city area.

DMraider
10th Oct 2005, 17:15
Remember SK claimed BO1 took 100 hours to finish and get all secrets.

But you know when I play it, it doesn`t take much more than 26 or 27 hours. If I play around a bit more it can take 32 perhaps but not 100.

Well the 1st time I played it, it took alot longer. Around 60 I think. because there are always times where u are stuck or where u are looking for secrets.

rabban
10th Oct 2005, 18:55
every game must must exagerate something...usually called the key features.

WraithStar
10th Oct 2005, 20:40
Remember SK claimed BO1 took 100 hours to finish and get all secrets.

But you know when I play it, it doesn`t take much more than 26 or 27 hours. If I play around a bit more it can take 32 perhaps but not 100.

Well the 1st time I played it, it took alot longer. Around 60 I think. because there are always times where u are stuck or where u are looking for secrets.

They probably meant it would take 100 hours for someone like me to win and find all of the secrets :p I haven't actually played BO1 yet (I can't find a PC copy, and I actually own a PlayStation copy but I don't have a PlayStation. I'm hoping PS2 will get really cheap when PS3 comes out.). Anyhow, I always manage to wander in circles and get lost, turning what should be a short trip into a really long and confusing path all over the place.

rabban
10th Oct 2005, 21:57
see in gtasa that wandering and getting lost can be fun.

DMraider
11th Oct 2005, 12:55
They probably meant it would take 100 hours for someone like me to win and find all of the secrets :p I haven't actually played BO1 yet (I can't find a PC copy, and I actually own a PlayStation copy but I don't have a PlayStation. I'm hoping PS2 will get really cheap when PS3 comes out.). Anyhow, I always manage to wander in circles and get lost, turning what should be a short trip into a really long and confusing path all over the place.

I`m pretty slow at games so you can`t get much more than I mentioned I think :P

Also just get a PS2 or borrow one. It`s like 100 euro. I mean BO1 alone is worth that. :)

WraithStar
11th Oct 2005, 14:32
A new PS2 is still about $150-$200 last time I checked. I'm going to wait until PS3 is released to see if there is a clearance sale on PS2's. If I can get a PS2 cheap, it might be worth the aggravation I have with gamepads to play a lot of the games I haven't been able to get for PC.

DMraider
11th Oct 2005, 16:44
I don`t think it will get cheaper...It`s about 150 euro with a game so in the USA I bet it`s even cheaper.

Or just get an old PS1. Or perhaps the PS3.

WraithStar
11th Oct 2005, 17:37
I thought about getting an old PS1, but they are all used, so I don't trust that it will work, and I heard that the load times are insane :( I don't really want a PlayStation to begin with, so I'm not going to pay full price for a PS3. I'm hoping to find a new PS2 that isn't packaged with any games for less than $100 after PS3 comes out.

rabban
11th Oct 2005, 21:52
my old ps1 still works...but i'd get the ps2 because it is a dvd player and plays the old games too.

DMraider
12th Oct 2005, 09:00
I thought about getting an old PS1, but they are all used, so I don't trust that it will work, and I heard that the load times are insane :( I don't really want a PlayStation to begin with, so I'm not going to pay full price for a PS3. I'm hoping to find a new PS2 that isn't packaged with any games for less than $100 after PS3 comes out.

lol the load times are the same. It doesn`t matter if you play PS1 games on ps1 or ps2.

Just get it for 30 dollars. I mean...BO1 its worth 200 dollars...And u dont wanna risk 30 dollars.

Also the load times aren`t bad. At least I don`t really get what the problem of loading times are. Maybe I even like it you know. *loading*. I take a deep breath and prepare myself for the next enemy :) )
The only time when its a bit annoying is when u have to change weapons, between the axes and the flame sword.

rabban
12th Oct 2005, 09:52
sr1 actually looks a lil better on the ps2 also.

WraithStar
12th Oct 2005, 17:38
Are the load times really the same on PS1 vs. PS2? :confused: I kept hearing that the PS2 had faster load times. If I see a cheap PS1 anywhere, I guess I'll buy it. By the way, BO1 is really $200? I got my copy, used but in fairly good condition, for $7. I actually got carded, too. All of my friends are busy getting carded trying to sneak into clubs and I'm getting carded buying video games :rolleyes:

rabban
12th Oct 2005, 18:53
not sure all i know is there is a option to make the ps2 look smooth and/or load faster but i never noticed...get a ps2 dude...get it so you can play all the lok games as they were intended...on a console system.

Umah Bloodomen
12th Oct 2005, 19:05
Are the load times really the same on PS1 vs. PS2? :confused: I kept hearing that the PS2 had faster load times. If I see a cheap PS1 anywhere, I guess I'll buy it. By the way, BO1 is really $200? I got my copy, used but in fairly good condition, for $7. I actually got carded, too. All of my friends are busy getting carded trying to sneak into clubs and I'm getting carded buying video games :rolleyes:

Speaking of being carded; I was carded when I recently purchased Fable. My friend wasn't when he bought Marvel Nemesis. I told the cashier this was as if I were getting carded for Mario. :p

I ended up with BO1 (used for PSX) a few years ago from what is now GameStop. I believe I only spent about $10 USD.

rabban
12th Oct 2005, 20:14
...i once got birth certificate...ed...they thought i was too old for dodge ball...i showed them...heheh...

DMraider
13th Oct 2005, 13:07
sr1 actually looks a lil better on the ps2 also.

? What looks better? I wish the framerate was better when u move to the spectral realm :)

DMraider
13th Oct 2005, 13:10

I mean its worth $200 to me, (and maybe to you as well)

I don`t know really. The load times could be a bit faster. perhaps 15%. Instead of 6, 5 seconds for example..

rabban
13th Oct 2005, 16:04
What looks better? I wish the framerate was better when u move to the spectral realm.

the textures, when you pick the option to run it.

DMraider
14th Oct 2005, 12:51
which option?

rabban
14th Oct 2005, 13:49
turn on the ps2 without a game in it...i cant remember past that...it's always been set there once i figured it out...it just makes the textures a tad smoother...saw it in a mag once and it even used sr1 as an example.

WraithStar
14th Oct 2005, 15:39
I wandered down to the mall yesterday to see what the GameStop had. They did have some used PS1's for $20, but when I looked closer, both of them had controllers stained yellowish brown and there were visible coffee stains on the actual machine casing, so I decided that it's best to just pass them up :rolleyes: The PS2's are still $150 so I'm waiting until they get a little cheaper. I'll have to remember to do that texture-upgrade when I do get one :D Oh, while I was there I got a PS1 savecard for $3. I have no way of knowing if it works, but it looks like it's in very good condition. There aren't any scratches, dents, or chips on the case, so I assume it hasn't been kicked around, and there isn't any rust or anything like that on the metal inside that I could see. Also, it's a really pretty shade of green :D

DMraider
14th Oct 2005, 20:08
coffeestains??

Hm the controller do get a bit brown when they are used alot I think ye.

Smoke_Z
15th Oct 2005, 02:12
Used units are okay, (My PS2 was used, and it's been functional since used units were $178,) used controllers are not.

The original sony controller that came with the ps2 is fine, but the used pelican controller was twitchy and I returned it for the new version. (Actually, my pelican is twitchy now too, but I abused it.)

WraithStar
20th Oct 2005, 15:41
I am definitely getting a new controller. I don't want to buy a used unit either, though, because I have no idea who owned it before me so I don't know if they abused it or not (and yes, the used PS1's did have coffee stains on them, at least I hope those were coffee stains... :rolleyes: ). Anyhow, if a new PS2 is $150 right now, I wonder what the chances are that it will be $75 when PS3 comes out? Right now, they give a 30% discount for buying used. I hope they give a 50% discount for buying obselete:p Oh, not that anyone cares, but I saw another copy of BO1 used in the same store I got mine and it was *so* beat up...anyhow, I am now convinced that I actually paid $9 for my copy, not $7 like I said before. I know it doesn't matter, but knowing that I said something incorrect really bothers me if I don't try to fix it.

Dr Kain
1st Feb 2006, 05:07
After replaying the entire LoK series last week, and looking at the screen shots for Oblivion, I decided it would be friggin awesome if we got a remake of the original Blood Omen for the next gen systems.

Who else is with me?

If you're not cool with a remake, what about a Tales of Nosgoth spinoff where you get to choose what you want to do or be?

Dr Kain
1st Feb 2006, 13:03
Whoops, my post doesn't make any sense not that it was moved over here, but oh well.

Blood Omen 1 is non-existant now, and my copy is messed up. When I was replaying it last week, the cut scenes kept freezing up or skipping. Since a remake seems unlikely after reading the first page, how about they port Blood Omen and Soul Reaver (the Dreamcast edition) onto one PS2 disc and release it as a double pack similar to what other games have done?