PDA

View Full Version : Is this the end of the Thief series??

SK Denton
3rd Nov 2003, 18:55
Even though I have been looking for it - I read an interview with one of the programmers of Thief3 (maybe even Warren), a long time ago and the person being interviewed mentioned "completing" the series.

I just hope this isn't the last Thief game, and I really hope they don't kill Garrrett off in an effort to start anew.

If anyone has any info on this being the last Thief game or Garrett dying please share.

Bat-mite
4th Nov 2003, 20:15
I know nighing of Spector's or Eidos's plans for the series, but I can speak a little about fictinal characters and audience demand.

1. They could terminate the series leaving Garrett alive, with room for a change of mind later.

2. They could end the series with Garrett dead, and then do "Thief 4: Garrett Rises!" This is a proven method, like so many rock stars' farewell and reunion tours.

In the end, sales and consumer response determine direction. ;)

LrsSlothPaladin
2nd Dec 2003, 23:08
If Thief 3 is extreamly good, I hope they end it so they dont kill it in a sequal...

CJtheRed
10th Dec 2003, 03:34
Originally posted by SK Denton
Even though I have been looking for it - I read an interview with one of the programmers of Thief3 (maybe even Warren), a long time ago and the person being interviewed mentioned "completing" the series.

I just hope this isn't the last Thief game, and I really hope they don't kill Garrrett off in an effort to start anew.

If anyone has any info on this being the last Thief game or Garrett dying please share.

I don't know about Garrett dying, but I recall reading in a PC Gamer article about the fall of Looking Glass that Thief had been intended all along to be a three-game series, and that the developers were deeply disappointed when it looked like they weren't going to finish the story arc. I suspect that there's going to be a great wrapping-up of plot lines and resolution of many of the dramatic tensions from the first two games.

Just speculation, but a New Age where technology finally overwhelms Magic, and both the divine powers of the Hammers and the more-or-less infernal powers of the pagans are lost in the triumph of rationality and humanism would seem like a logical outcome....

Not that I'm rooting for that "no possible sequels" kind of ending, you understand; I'm a big fan of the series and would be delighted to see Thief IV show up at my local EB in 2005 or so. I just think that the developers will probably try to polish off the story they wanted to tell while they have the chance.

Mike Fang
15th Feb 2004, 15:33
Well while it's true that all good things must come to an end, it would be nice if Thief continued for a few more sequels after no.3. If it doesn't, oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

But one thing's for sure, we don't want it ending like a certain other game series. I don't know if anybody else played it, but "Quest For Glory 5" was an abismal failure in my opinion. I mean, I wanted to see how the plot finally concluded, but the gameplay was so poor that I dropped it quickly. The frantic battles, the time passing at a minute a second, the perpetually missed plot points all added up to make the game very disappointing.

We definitely don't want Thief to go down that line. If it ends, we want it to end on a winner. So let's hope that if and when the series comes to a close, it will be neither too soon nor on a game that nobody wants to bother to finish.

Acorn
15th Feb 2004, 21:21
It could be the last one, or they might have a few more angles to explore.

The Baron and the aristocracy=There could be some sort of story here. Wasn't there a war that the Baron was supposed to be away at in one of the last games? A story could involve that somehow. Garrett could try his hand at spying sabotage and espionage. Contact members of la resistance. Garrett is forced into working for the Baron's plans of conquest somehow.

The Un-dead=There could be a new threat from that quarter. So far they've been just a side nuisance. A powerful undead sorcerer threatens the city with legions of minions? In some of the fan missions people have added vampires, so there is potential for new characters.

Or--If the city he's in runs out of threats, how about continuing the series in different places? Garrett takes a ship to a supposedly wealthier land (or a mining colony?) with other cultures, ruling factions and terrains. Deserts, Mountains, or Islands or something. I've seen all that in fan missions, and enjoyed playing it.

Mr. Perfect
15th Feb 2004, 23:30
Originally posted by Bat-mite
2. They could end the series with Garrett dead, and then do "Thief 4: Garrett Rises!" This is a proven method, like so many rock stars' farewell and reunion tours.

Garrett will turn into the Cher of video games. :eek: :D

keeblor
16th Feb 2004, 20:47
Even if they kill Garrett off, there would still be a cool prequil of Garret being a keeper, you play the first few levels a a Keeper, then you find out why he left and how he bacame a Thief

tore
17th Feb 2004, 13:41
Originally posted by Mike Fang

But one thing's for sure, we don't want it ending like a certain other game series. I don't know if anybody else played it, but "Quest For Glory 5" was an abismal failure in my opinion.

The horror, the horror!

On a more serious note though, I think many books and films - and games too with the above example - suffer from wanting to continue on with their stories and characters for too long. Fantasy writers like Eddings and Feist are much to blame here, but also Lucas' Star Wars Empire has gone over the top.

A great story or a game for that matter, should have a great ending - not spin out of narrative control into eternity.

That being said, if the writers can find a good excuse to summon more pilfering goodness out of Garret, I shall eagerly await it,

Nirvana
24th Feb 2004, 14:31
Originally posted by Mike Fang
Well while it's true that all good things must come to an end, it would be nice if Thief continued for a few more sequels after no.3. If it doesn't, oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

But one thing's for sure, we don't want it ending like a certain other game series. I don't know if anybody else played it, but "Quest For Glory 5" was an abismal failure in my opinion. I mean, I wanted to see how the plot finally concluded, but the gameplay was so poor that I dropped it quickly. The frantic battles, the time passing at a minute a second, the perpetually missed plot points all added up to make the game very disappointing.

We definitely don't want Thief to go down that line. If it ends, we want it to end on a winner. So let's hope that if and when the series comes to a close, it will be neither too soon nor on a game that nobody wants to bother to finish.

SNAKE-LORD
24th Feb 2004, 21:04
Originally posted by tore
The horror, the horror!

On a more serious note though, I think many books and films - and games too with the above example - suffer from wanting to continue on with their stories and characters for too long. Fantasy writers like Eddings and Feist are much to blame here, but also Lucas' Star Wars Empire has gone over the top.

A great story or a game for that matter, should have a great ending - not spin out of narrative control into eternity.

That being said, if the writers can find a good excuse to summon more pilfering goodness out of Garret, I shall eagerly await it,

you want to talk about book series that seem to go on endlessly check out peirs anthony's zanth series talk about beating a dead horse.

some long running things book wise are ok though.
robert jordans wheel of time series is proof of good things lasting.
9 or 10 books and doesn't quite look to be over yet. ;)