PDA

View Full Version : Mucky Foot no more!

FuttyMoot
31st Oct 2003, 14:37
You may be sad to know that MF went under yesterday!

End of an era!

Off to find work somewhere else now! Bye!

MunkeeChum
31st Oct 2003, 17:17
This better be a joke.

I see nothing on the website a google search on Mucky Foot close reveals nothing.

A cruel prank this be.

FuttyMoot
31st Oct 2003, 17:55
http://www.yakyak.org/viewtopic.php?t=10896

Gus is Guy Simmons, one of the directors of MF....

No prank I'm afraid... there wasn't time to update the website... everyone was clearing their desks and grabbing work for showreels etc...

Senor v2
31st Oct 2003, 20:18
Many things i have seen point to it not being true........but I will have to wait and see.:( :( :( :( :(

FuttyMoot
31st Oct 2003, 22:38
Originally posted by Senor v2
Many things i have seen point to it not being true........but I will have to wait and see.:( :( :( :( :(

excellent! well, I'll tell the guys and we can go back to work on monday...

Exitium
31st Oct 2003, 23:03
The unexpected has occured at an unusual moment. This cannot be a Halloween nightmare. . .

Although the, "Eidos not funding Mucky Foot's StarTopia campaign" used to be just an olde' pet peeve of mine, the drop in sales may have been the prime reason that a team of people lost their jobs. Imagine if StarTopia was more like Homeworld in terms of success. Most of the reviews were excellent, and I thought it could've been a big money maker as well. . .

Sadly, in a world like ours, business is rough. I've been there too, no job for months in fact. I wish you luck in search of jobs, but it's much more difficult here (in the United States) than most other post-industrial nations at the moment to reach that goal. I'm sure though, with your skills (Mucky Foot), that you will quickly become employed again.

Mike_B
1st Nov 2003, 08:31
Hmm why are you posting from a hotmail account?

Hand-E-Food
1st Nov 2003, 10:30
Originally posted by @m
Hmm why are you posting from a hotmail account?
Exitium of FuttyMoot?

Hand-E-Food
1st Nov 2003, 10:54
I'm sorry but I'm not convinced yet. I have seen not any evidence on any gaming site or elsewhere. If you can point me at one, it would be most appreciated.

Why wouldn't MuckyFoot use the MuckyFoot account? They don't need to be at work to remember the password for it.

I'm sorry that I sound irate, but I've seen people try to pull these things off before. It's too easy to forge on the Internet.

Hand-E-Food
1st Nov 2003, 11:27
Okay. Convinced now.

Lots of luck to you all! I'm sure we'll see your quality work elsewhere in the future.

MunkeeChum
1st Nov 2003, 12:02
All I've seen is forum posts. I need hard evidence...

Mike_B
1st Nov 2003, 12:17
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
Exitium of FuttyMoot?

FuttyMoot.

FuttyMoot
1st Nov 2003, 12:30
Thanks chaps... we almost made it too!

I'm sure you'll hear something official next week.. The directors are dealing with the liquidators at the mo!

Don't know how long the website will be up.

They have much more important things on their minds.

I'm sure our names will reappear soon...

Arctic_Wolf
1st Nov 2003, 14:50
In the middle of project? In the middle of a project for a film corporation? After setting up a second office? Seems like Mucky Foot were doing well, what happened?

Though I think the MF employees are on a Lionhead shortlist aren't they? If so there may be hope yet, maybe even the liquidation of MF will have been a good thing. With MuckyFeet wandering inbetween the Lionheads, it won't be long before LH Studios can start living up to its promises, Startopia 2 may yet happen, Black and White 2 could be top class...

We must force Lionhead to employ them, get your protest boardy things and lets go to Guildford. :D

Senor v2
1st Nov 2003, 15:38
:( :) :D i agree lets all organize a road trip to guildford!!

Mike_B
1st Nov 2003, 15:56
Guys,

As long as this is not on a gamesite I wouldn't buy it. Firstly FuttyMoot's account has been registered with a hotmail account, secondly his IP adress is from an other ISP than the one MuckyFoot was using, thirdly why would they come here briefly just to say this?

MunkeeChum
1st Nov 2003, 16:51
Originally posted by @m
Guys,

As long as this is not on a gamesite I wouldn't buy it. Firstly FuttyMoot's account has been registered with a hotmail account, secondly his IP adress is from an other ISP than the one MuckyFoot was using, thirdly why would they come here briefly just to say this?

I too am taking this as I like my Haddock.

With a pinch of salt..

FuttyMoot
1st Nov 2003, 16:59
Sorry guys, I only came on here to let you know the bad news. I wasn't a top person at MF just a lowly worker albeit a happy one.

Just thought you guys would like to know first. I'll try and get TomF or MikeB to use the proper account and post properly on here...

Mike_B
1st Nov 2003, 17:23
Originally posted by FuttyMoot
Sorry guys, I only came on here to let you know the bad news. I wasn't a top person at MF just a lowly worker albeit a happy one.

Just thought you guys would like to know first. I'll try and get TomF or MikeB to use the proper account and post properly on here...

It's me who needs to apologize for my sceptism..

Sorry, but with all these trolls you never know.

If this is indeed true, which looks like it then I feel really sorry for you and wish you the best of luck in the future :cool:

L Croft
1st Nov 2003, 17:26
that is very sad news :( . I think they are only people who ever wrote credits that made me laugh

AlphaOmega
1st Nov 2003, 21:28
This is indeed a sad day.

As soon as I recieve a confirmation email or see an article about this, I'll make a grand (and possibly final) article @ StarTopia Post.

For everything MuckyFoot... Thank you!

MunkeeChum
1st Nov 2003, 22:51
I think I'm convinced now :(

I really am very sorry. Mucky Foot have always been in my eyes one of the most talented studios.

Sorry for doubting you earlier FuttyMoot, the idea of Mucky Foot closing down wasn't one I wanted to hear.

I wish everyone at the studio the very best of luck.

Mucky Foot
1st Nov 2003, 23:33
Hi peeps.

Yes, I'm afraid it's true. On Thursday the Foot died. No more - all gone. UK games development has been in trouble for a while, and MF is only the latest in a long line of casualties. Still, we lasted a while, and got some good games done, so you know - it's not a complete waste.

I can still provide graphics-card-related StarTopia support if anyone needs it, but you'll need to post to this forum rather than an @muckyfoot.com address because of course we don't have access to those anymore.

On a good point I managed to nab a StarTopia framed poster off the wall as they were kicking us out the building. And it's mine - all mine.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder forever.

FuttyMoot
2nd Nov 2003, 00:14
Cheers Tom! We had fun and now we're off somewhere else... Argentina? Oz? Croydon? Who knows?

Take care, everyone!

Exitium
2nd Nov 2003, 02:21
Something big will come out of this on my end, you can take my word for it. Gisou Ikamono the First does not lie! Whether it be a modification or illustrated story, there will be some credit to the almost unknown game of StarTopia and her creators. Ziech, Foot! Erm, yes. Ehe, disregard that. I'm sure (as Arctic stated) that Lionhead would be very interested in using the former MF staff as new developers.

On other note, why would I use a Hotmail address anyway? I despise Microsoft E-Mail. . .

So be it, goodbye and goodluck. We will be keeping an eye on all of you.

MunkeeChum
2nd Nov 2003, 09:56
I don't think I'm gonna try and get into the Games Industry anymore.

kool_kats_rule
2nd Nov 2003, 11:04
*sob*

DoctorX
3rd Nov 2003, 11:53
Oh dear. That's a bit of a blow - and I was so close to finishing that Startopia Guide, too. Seems the games industry is becoming concentrated into a very small, Hollywoodish industry - I do miss the old coders and tiny teams that used to put out a game every three months in the 8bit days.

Anyway, condolences to all at Mucky Foot - we certainly appreciated the uniqueness of Startopia. I've suffered one or two collapsed studios in my career of animation and visual effects and its very disheartening. Good luck for the future though!

Mucky Foot
3rd Nov 2003, 17:35
/me wipes tear from my eye and pulls down the shutters on the launch bay for the last time...

zebra3... ...out

Arctic_Wolf
3rd Nov 2003, 22:43
I remembered something, Peter Molyneax(Is that right? English people having french names? t'aint right!) was pressing the government for some kind of benefits or some other such from the UK Government and reasoned quite well that if the music and film industries get one, why not the games?

Anyway it probably wont happen because Prince Charles doesn't like games. After we've gone to Guildford perhaps we can stop by Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle and egg the B***tards :D

DoctorX
3rd Nov 2003, 23:11
Now now kids - look at Total Annihilation (http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_totala.htm). When dear old Cavedog passed away years ago the community thought it was the end of the world - but instead the whole community thing took off and has been going from strength to strength ever since.

sbp
4th Nov 2003, 09:34
Thanks for the memories.

FuttyMoot
4th Nov 2003, 18:52
Final proof!

www.muckyfoot.com (http://www.muckyfoot.com)

Lol!

Mucky Foot
4th Nov 2003, 20:39
*MetalDog tips her hat to you all*

Been a fun ride.

And yes, our web site is worth checking out at the moment, quick before the ISP drops the account =)

~MetalDog

FuttyMoot
4th Nov 2003, 20:50
I don't think I ever said anything stupid!

MunkeeChum
5th Nov 2003, 20:31
I want to ask you guys at Mucky Foot a question:

Do you think its worth trying to get into the UK games industry considering the state its in?

Because I know making games is a brillant thing to do - and I would love do it. But does working with what you love outweigh job security?

--

Really funny quotes BTW :)

FuttyMoot
5th Nov 2003, 20:56
I think it's like any business nowadays. If you love it, you'll put up with a lot.

And what would you rather do? Sit in an office doing a nice safe job? or being in a tricksy job like making games but.. hey! you're making games.. I know which I'd prefer!

I don't think there are many safe jobs these days and if you're good, you'll always be able to find something!

I could be wrong, of course!

Devistater
6th Nov 2003, 02:01
Originally posted by Mucky Foot
*MetalDog tips her hat to you all*

Been a fun ride.

And yes, our web site is worth checking out at the moment, quick before the ISP drops the account =)

~MetalDog

Any hidden webpages you want to reveal? :)

I was able to get a copy of everything thats actually linked on your old site. But that doensn't count if you guys had anything that was actually hidden there :)

FuttyMoot
6th Nov 2003, 18:42
Quick! Hide! Santa's coming!

Hand-E-Food
6th Nov 2003, 21:22
Devistator, can you grab the new index as well? That'd be worth mirroring too! :D

Devistater
6th Nov 2003, 21:37
Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
Devistator, can you grab the new index as well? That'd be worth mirroring too! :D

Are you talking about the "eulogy" thingy page that is what is at muckyfoot.com now? I have the index one that was there before the devs changed it to its current one, and the one that the devs linked as "old_index.shtml" yesterday.

ScuzzerMkV
9th Nov 2003, 01:25
Well, not much of a forum poster 'cept when i need help but my condolencies (sp?) to the MuckyFoot crew.

You made a superb game (StarTopia that is, er, i've not played your other games ;) ) which didn't get what it deserved... A place at the top!

Sheesh, such a bugger too, i'd just decided to have a quick game before bed and thought i'd look to see if there were any new patches :( :mad: :confused: :( :( :(

Overmind
11th Nov 2003, 13:06
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Devistater

Did you get their bloopers reel? It's www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/bloopers.html

Enjoy the attack of the 50ft Memau! Get them quickly if you haven't, these need preserving for future generations of StarTopians

DoctorX
11th Nov 2003, 13:47
That's because your slashes are backwards, and there's a full stop at the end of the link, you silly boy.
http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/bloopers.html

Overmind
11th Nov 2003, 14:23
What?:p

Sorry, I've had a hard day. I've been doing Visual Basic division in depth - the way VB dividing's the other way round always gets me...

Narcissus X
11th Nov 2003, 19:01
:(

<Mucky Foot> You will always be remembered. Startopia will forever be installed on every future computer I own!

Too bad we could never get that multiplayer to work.

:(

Devistater
13th Nov 2003, 19:09
Originally posted by Overmind
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Devistater

Did you get their bloopers reel? It's www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/bloopers.html

Enjoy the attack of the 50ft Memau! Get them quickly if you haven't, these need preserving for future generations of StarTopians

Yep, I got that. Anything that was linked on the original news page or the archived one I have (or a link on any other muckyfoot page that led to a muckyfoot link). However if there are any "hidden" files that aren't linked on the site, I wasn't able to find/get those. Like for instance if someone at muckyfoot uploaded something to the server but didn't link it.

JSWY
14th Nov 2003, 00:17
This is getting unbelivable, The closure of Software Refinery, the makers of Hardwar certainly hit the community hard, the remaining fan base is now trying to get what SF were working towards, the now legendary U3.00 patch, we're still running with U.300b1 through U3.00b5 and its tough work, and with nothing from the original team who might have given us hope with the source code it really is an uphill struggle, so I put this to Mucky Foot:

Will you now release the source code?

P.S: The main Hardwar fansite (http://zedo.hardwar.org.uk)

Hardwar is now classified as abandonware, so its avalible on The Underdogs.

Devistater
14th Nov 2003, 07:02
Originally posted by JSWY
This is getting unbelivable, The closure of Software Refinery, the makers of Hardwar certainly hit the community hard, the remaining fan base is now trying to get what SF were working towards, the now legendary U3.00 patch, we're still running with U.300b1 through U3.00b5 and its tough work, and with nothing from the original team who might have given us hope with the source code it really is an uphill struggle, so I put this to Mucky Foot:

Will you now release the source code?

P.S: The main Hardwar fansite (http://zedo.hardwar.org.uk)

Hardwar is now classified as abandonware, so its avalible on The Underdogs.

Mmmm. Reading that site makes me want to get the game! Unfortunately it appears that the places that previously had it for d/l dont have it anymore. (the cd version). So I think I'll try and get it on ebay or something.

JSWY
14th Nov 2003, 16:55
Try The Underdogs (http://www.the-underdogs.org), its now classified as abondware, if you're into elite syle games, its certainly something to try. If you want more informaition, use the above site

Of course, I will bring this news to the Hardwar community, some of them are bound to be interested in Startopia, I just hope that the Mucky Foot guys will stay here and not leave us with nothing so much as a conformation of the liquidation.

Long Live Mucky Foot!
Long Live Startopia!

AlphaOmega
17th Nov 2003, 09:26
Farewell... and good luck.

A little farewell speech is on the Post for both Mucky Foot and the community.

http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia

Exitium
18th Nov 2003, 00:30
<Salutes the setting Mucky Foot flag. . .>

We must unite!

Mucky Foot
19th Nov 2003, 07:17
I just hope that the Mucky Foot guys will stay here and not leave us with nothing so much as a conformation of the liquidation.
As if we would do such a thing. I'm still here for any graphics-card problems. Or any problems at all actually. Contacting us may be a little tricky - the best bet at the moment is the address given on the website - muckyfoot (at) hotmail (dot) com. Or do some creative googling.

TomF - Muckyfoot codex.

MunkeeChum
19th Nov 2003, 17:39
Originally posted by Mucky Foot
muckyfoot (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Msn activated?

Arctic_Wolf
19th Nov 2003, 23:23
spam proofing

Devistater
2nd Dec 2003, 18:16
AlphaOmega: Did you want a copy of the startopia mirror I mentioned earlier? 28 megs with all the download files (patches etc), and about 3 or 4 without.
Send me a pmsg about it if you need a copy. I dont sign on very often, but thats probably the fastest way to reach me.

Sunrise
7th Dec 2003, 15:46
After leaving the forum a long time ago because the game kept CTD. I get a new a computer. first thing i load is startopia. i run through the entire campaign again. then i suddenly remember. There's a forum. :) Then i come onto the forum and find this... this... this abomination. MuckyFoot gone...

Good luck to all the muckyfoot guys in finding new jobs, and thank you for making the greatest game ever

Hand-E-Food
7th Dec 2003, 23:14
Oi you! Where have you been? You vanished suddenly!

Welcome back! :)

Pinky the Cow
9th Dec 2003, 13:16
My condolences and best wishes to all Mucky Foot.

Mimic
8th Jan 2004, 00:11
Sad to hear!

I played Startopia when it was out in germany... and then it got lost under tons of other software. But i found it again and we play atm.

I think i can say i have played quite many games. From RTS over round based things, shooter, mmorpgs, action, rpg. And there are not many games that were created with that details nor with that love.
Startopia is one of the best games that i ever played because of this details and things you can see after hours and hours of playing. it is so complex and so easy at the same time.
Not to mention the support.. TomF posts about 2-3 years after release little patches and tips.

You guys have to make another game !!! Never give up i have never seen such talented guys that work with that love!!!

I'll hope u all got some new work and you are creating the game(s) we would create if we were you ;).

Mimic

Arraxis
11th Jan 2004, 21:24
I was gone for a while (a year or two), and then for some reason, while I was on holidays, I had an urge to play Startopia. After playing for an hour, the game crashed, so I went to the forums to report the problem. Instead, my day became worse, having to see what happened to Mucky Foot. I hope you all get good jobs somewhere. It's Cavedog all over again (as it was said before), but, if it is similar to it, we would all become 133+ programmers overnight and make mod after mod for Startopia.