PDA

View Full Version : Commandos 3 problem

FoxFather
24th Oct 2003, 23:27
I'm a huge fan of the Commandos series, and of course was thrilled when I heard that Commandos 3 was coming out. But unfortunately that game is not working for me.

When I try to start up the game I get this message: Unable to authenticate original disk in time limit.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I was told by Eidos tech support (and let me say the tech support guys were very nice) that I need to update my firmware for my CD-ROM drive. Being computer stupid I said, OK. But since, I have found out that this is easier said than done. So far I have found no update for my CD-ROM. (I have a HP PC with a Philips CD-ROM), and I talked to a computer geek who said he'd never heard of anyone wanting to upgrade their firmware. OK, again.

So I'm in oblivion for the moment. Anyone have a solution other than buying a new computer.

thanks

maddhatta
25th Oct 2003, 08:19
I have the same problem.

Twitch
25th Oct 2003, 19:50
Look on the back of the C3 box and it says Quad speed (4X) is all that's required for "minimum' or "recommended" sysytems. I'll bet you, like me, haven't a a 4X CD-ROM for 10 freakin years so surely you have a decent CD ROM. If it runs every thing else why not C3? Absolute worse scenario and if it is a bit aged a new one is not too much $$ these days. And CD-ROMs usually have to software at all. Firmware must be an acronym for hardware somewhere. :confused:

bart123
26th Oct 2003, 11:08
i have experienced the problem, when i wanted to start the game for the first several times (by now i was getting agitated cause i had just payed 50 euro's for the original game), then i clicked on again, i waited a while and then the game started.......somehow my pc now recognises the CD and emidiately starts the game when i click the icon...

maddhatta
30th Oct 2003, 19:16
I got the error message when using my DVD burner that I got a few weeks ago. I just hooked up an older CD drive and I didnt have any problems whatsoever.

Hope it helps.

WheresTheBeef
30th Oct 2003, 20:17
Have you checked to see if DMA is enabled/disabled for your CDROM drive? Depending on the drive, it can actually slow system performance if enabled (which is usually the default).

If it's enabled, try disabling it and visa versa. Reboot after setting it before trying it.