PDA

View Full Version : Worst gaming rig

Tbone
23rd Oct 2003, 00:52
I have absolutely no hope of winning the usual p***ing contest of who has the most Ub4|2-1337 system, so I'm going to bank on having one of the worst instead:

700MHz T-bird Athlon
Overclocked to 800MHz baby! pH34r the extra 100MHz!
Some ASUS motherboard with the KT133 chipset of the damned
I think it's a K7M, but I wouldn't swear to it right now.
128MB of PC133 memory
only the weak need DDR! Oh, and one of the banks is really just PC100 memory that doesn't seem to object to the higher frequency.
Geforce4 Ti4200
This was a recent addition, and almost the only redeeming feature of my poor computer
30GB IBM Deskstar
This would be the other one. Granted, they're a little bigger and faster now, but it's not that big of a deal. I'm still only using about 15GB anyway, and that's with a lot of junk
SB Live! value
Ok, I guess I can live with this one, too. FYI, the only difference between the Live! and the Live! value is that the value doesn't have gold-plated audio jacks. Wheeeee.

Other than that, I have a 24x mitsumi CD burner and some brand-x 56x CD-ROM drive. Both seem to work about as well as anything else I've tried.

Oh, and I think my power supply has emphezema. I may have to put it down soon. *cue dramatic Ol' Yeller scene*

Except for the video card (I used to have a GF2), I literally haven't upgraded this system in 3 years. Ironically, DX1 was probably the deciding factor in me upgrading it 3 years ago from some old 300MHz clunker that my father bought for me for my freshman year in college. It's gotten to the point now, that I can't even really upgrade it. I can keep the video card, sound card, and the hard drive, but literally everything else has to go, and that's more money than I really have to spend right now. I really want to rush out and buy DX2 when it comes out, but I know that at best, it will make for the most craptastic gaming experience ever, and at worst, it won't even meet minimum system requirements.

So who else wants to join the ghetto hardware club?

Lawnboy360
23rd Oct 2003, 01:02
You call that outdated?
Is that really the worst you can do?
Let's get serious.

Pentium3 450mhz
320mb PC100
GeForce 2 MX200 32mb PCI
8gb
and a DVD drive, because of course "games on DVD will be coming out soon" (from 1999)...
:mad:

:)

Tbone
23rd Oct 2003, 01:11
Heheh. Don't make me bust out my old 8088 (no kidding! I really have one!)

Sylvester Ink
23rd Oct 2003, 03:12
Hey, I have an Apple IIGS Special Edition. And it still works. And I still use it. Sometimes. SO EAT THAT FOOLS!

MrRoboto1024
23rd Oct 2003, 03:27
dont know what an 8088 is

we still have an old 33mhz 8mb ram somewhere around here.

Lawnboy360
23rd Oct 2003, 12:46
Yeah, but my 450mhz is my main PC, unlike you.

Quillan
23rd Oct 2003, 14:00
Yeah, my old Pentium 2 300 mhz is still sitting in the room, but I don't use it anymore.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Oct 2003, 15:03
I still use my K6-2 300MHz, but only as a server for my other PCs. (and you know what, Windows XP DOES run on a 300MHz with 64Mo RAM. unbelievable but true. and slow). I still can play Quake 3 and NFS3 on it, but DX1 was a little too much for it

Foten
23rd Oct 2003, 15:43
Hell u guys r lame, i have an old Atari and i tell u its just an floppy disc and a keyboard, and I still play on it. It have like the best games in the world. So dont come and say that ur computers r old.(I wonder if I can call this a computer?):D :p

Cyzada
23rd Oct 2003, 15:49
I tend to canibalize my old PC when i get a new one for RAM and Cards and such.

ziruz
23rd Oct 2003, 23:03
my mom uses a 486 90MHz 32MB RAM with the amazing storage capacity of a 420MB hard drive daily!

poor woman! (although admittedly she's not much of a gamer :))

sneelock
23rd Oct 2003, 23:10
well my friend has a 486 32mbs of ram running windows 2000 and office xp pro. one of my other friends went over there to fix it and it took 6hrs to uninstall office.

as for my self i still have k62-500 that i still use.

Lawnboy360
23rd Oct 2003, 23:37
it took 6hrs to uninstall office.

:D

Tbone
24th Oct 2003, 00:46
I finally found this website again:http://totl.net/Eunuch/index.html
These guys took an old 486 and used a friend's freezer and bunch of booze to overclock it to 247MHz. They ran Half-life on it for a little over three and a half minutes before the whole thing melted down. I think that beats everything I've ever done to a computer.

James Warren
24th Oct 2003, 01:03
Foten{
Hell u guys r lame, i have an old Atari and i tell u its just an floppy disc and a keyboard, and I still play on it. It have like the best games in the world. So dont come and say that ur computers r old.(I wonder if I can call this a computer?)
}

Ah, dear Foten, you have struck a nerve! (The old man swallowed and blinked away some tears) The Atari 800 (for which I paid $800 many years ago when I was all ready an old man compared to you now) was my first "computer." And YES you can call it a computer. I spent many fascinated hours programming my vision of fun games on the thing with the brilliant "Action!" compiler. The "800" was cloned by Commodor and sold as the Commodor 64. It was made and sold with such economy that it put the old Atari company out of business. The Amiga was Jay Miner's advanced multi-tasking version of the Atari 800 design which sold new for $750 and held such promise for early gamers. Jay Miner worked for the old Atari when he designed the Atari 400 and 800 machines. I had a friend who also worked for Atari at the time. Before Sam Tramiel taught them the economic facts of life, it was a very luxurious place to work with hot tubs, game rooms, gyms etc.

Do you have the co-op mode game "Mule?" I and my family played many happy hours with that game. It was no Halo, of course, but a war game like Halo would not have held the interest of my daughter and wife. My daughter learned to type as a very small child with a game that I wrote for her. Do you have "Alley Cat" and "Ball Blazer?" Those were two of my favorites. God, what memories you triggered... gulp! There was a very early and primitive 3D first person perspective version of a pack man like maze game that was little more than square halls and single colored walls that I tried for countless hours to reproduce with the Action! compiler and to "texture" the walls with sprites and redefined character sets. Ah, the long forgotten memories. I have never since had quite so much fun and sense of discovery trying to program a computer or playing with ANY electronic toy for that matter.

I gave the thing away many years ago to a relative who had no computer toy for her child. The child graduated with a degree in computer programming. He is doing quite well but I don't know what became of the old Atari and the two "Happy" drives with my see-though home made cases that I gave him.

Frost Giant
24th Oct 2003, 01:14
Well if you think those are crappy, I have the IBM 5100 the first PC ever made in 1975.

- 1.9MHz processor (Megahertz)
- 16K Ram
- 20K Tape drive
Now I only use it for show.
Bottom that!!!
(imd)

Ohhh!!! You are talking about "gaming" rigs. Never mind then.

My other comp is 2.8 GHz w/Hyper threading technology, 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM PC 3200, and 120Gig Hard drive 7200 RPM!!!!!

dirigimaster
24th Oct 2003, 01:26
Originally posted by Lawnboy360

At my school it took about an hour on the "new" Pentium 4 1.8GHZ systems... and that was uninstalling the "media content".

It's not that your computer is slow it's that Office doesn't know how to uninstall.. or install for that matter

Grey Mouser
24th Oct 2003, 01:43
Originally posted by Tbone
I finally found this website again:http://totl.net/Eunuch/index.html
These guys took an old 486 and used a friend's freezer and bunch of booze to overclock it to 247MHz. They ran Half-life on it for a little over three and a half minutes before the whole thing melted down. I think that beats everything I've ever done to a computer.

That is _awesome_!

Sylvester Ink
24th Oct 2003, 06:59
Originally posted by Grey Mouser
That is _awesome_!

I completely and wholeheartedly agree! I gotta try that one day!

Foten
24th Oct 2003, 14:17
Originally posted by James Warren

Do you have the co-op mode game "Mule?" Do you have "Alley Cat" and "Ball Blazer?"
I dont really know the names of the games that I play on it, I dont even think it stands some where. But one game u r a girl that gets fired from here job or something like that, and then u start in her apartment and take the stuff there and then u go out and discover the world. I have never finished the game but I think that its supposed to go out on saving the world from aliens but im not sure. Another game that I plat on it is like an american civilwar game, its a really funny game. Oh and I play the extremly good game Bubble bubble. The games that u said I dont think i ever heard of:( . Oh and theres onther game that I dont know the name of but its a game where u play some sports like surfing, skateboarding and BMX-biking. I cant really call this the worst gaming rig cuase its really good:D (so im sorry if u thought that I think so cuase i dont.)

crimson_stallion
29th Oct 2003, 07:24
Originally posted by MrRoboto1024
dont know what an 8088 is

we still have an old 33mhz 8mb ram somewhere around here.

Well, we all know 286, 386, 486, etc...

8086 is essentially an "086" if im not mistaken. My cousin had one about a year or two ago.

My comp list goes something like: (includign consoles)
1) Commodore 64
2) Sega master system
3) Pentium90
4) Nintendo64
5) Athlon 700
6) Athlon 1gig (1 gig ! how amazign that was at the time..)
7) P3 1 gig (the athlon $hited itself after my psu blew)
8) Athlon Xp 2500+ (current system).

Up until about 2 weeks ago, my system was:
P3 1 ghz
Asus CUSL2 (i think)
512mb SDram (all the damn board supported)
60gb HDD (20+40)
Geforce2MX 32mb
Sony G520
Hercules MuseXL

I thought that system was about as lame as it got, but I now see otherwise .. in the end i had to scrap it because it really didnt like to operate smoothly (i.e. winamp & compiling & iexplorer simulataneously = crash).

About 2 weeks ago upgraded to:

Athlon XP2500+
1GB Kingston DDR333 ram
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
same ol scummy hard disks
same ol scummy video card
same ol beautiful screen :) (still worth more then whole comp combined)

My hard disk upgrade (120gb WDIGI SATA) and videocard upgrade (redeon 9800 non-pro) should come in the next 3-4 months. Possibly including a speaker upgrade.

Until then, i'm hoping that DeusEx :IW will RUN on my system (thanks to the good ol GF2MX).

crimson_stallion
29th Oct 2003, 07:27
Originally posted by ziruz
my mom uses a 486 90MHz 32MB RAM with the amazing storage capacity of a 420MB hard drive daily!

poor woman! (although admittedly she's not much of a gamer :))

32mb ram !! on a 486 !! wow... back in the day that would have been like the Rolls of computers!

crimson_stallion
29th Oct 2003, 07:34
Originally posted by dirigimaster
At my school it took about an hour on the "new" Pentium 4 1.8GHZ systems... and that was uninstalling the "media content".

It's not that your computer is slow it's that Office doesn't know how to uninstall.. or install for that matter

SO true......

crimson_stallion
29th Oct 2003, 07:36
Originally posted by Foten

I had alleycat in C64 !! I loved that game ! I also loved return of the ninja (or something like that - although ti couldnt figure out how to play it), and potty pigeon!

Lawnboy360
29th Oct 2003, 14:16
Until then, i'm hoping that DeusEx :IW will RUN on my system (thanks to the good ol GF2MX).

It has been posted so many times, it seems unavoidable that one would be aware that
DXIW requires a DirectX8 card:
GeForce3
GeForce4 excluding the MX
Radeon 8500 & up

You won't be able to play DXIW with a GeForce 2.

DarkForge
29th Oct 2003, 15:02
My old system is:

Pentium II 350Mhz
ATI Rage Pro graphics card (with updated drivers)
SoundBlaster Live sound card (I think)
160 MB RAM
6.2 GB hard drive (I did have another 30 GB one, but it went AWOL on me last Christmas).
Win 98 SE.

Perhaps not the lamest system around - surprisingly I even managed to get the Deus Ex and Quake 3 demos working on there... just! :D Still, it's unbelievably unstable now. Thank god for my new pride and joy! ;)

Although, if we were to bring up the subject of my 12-year-old Commodore Amiga 500... :p

crimson_stallion
31st Oct 2003, 03:11
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
It has been posted so many times, it seems unavoidable that one would be aware that
DXIW requires a DirectX8 card:
GeForce3
GeForce4 excluding the MX
Radeon 8500 & up

You won't be able to play DXIW with a GeForce 2.

Yep, I know. That was what i have always figured, just trying to keep some hope :) lol

Although its worth noting, even if it did run on th at card, it would problably bo so slow and ugly it woudlnt be worth wasting time.

MR X
31st Oct 2003, 03:34
My old system is:

Pentium II 350Mhz
ATI Rage Pro graphics card (with updated drivers)
SoundBlaster Live sound card (I think)
160 MB RAM
6.2 GB hard drive (I did have another 30 GB one, but it went AWOL on me last Christmas).
Win 98 SE.

Perhaps not the lamest system around - surprisingly I even managed to get the Deus Ex and Quake 3 demos working on there... just! Still, it's unbelievably unstable now. Thank god for my new pride and joy!

That's nearly the same as my old system. I had a

Celeron 366 Mhz Processor
Ati Rage Pro (with updated drivers)
Something much ****tier than SBlive, not even worth remembering
3.2 Gb GODLY Hdd, boy it was fun trying to fit more than one game on it at a time :D
Win 98 SE.

I got through half of deus ex on it, then I updated my graphics card to the unbelievable, extroardinary (drum roll) VODOO 3 2000 PCI! (I had no agp slot)

My new system has a p4 2 Ghz, 516 mb DDR, and everything I could possibly want. Except my geforce 3 ti 200- well, atleast its capable of handling deus ex's features, even if it IS as slow as a gforce 2...

Amazon Warrior
31st Oct 2003, 04:28
My first 'proper' pc was:

350Mhz AMD K6-2
SiS 8Mb graphics card- wasn't even 3D to start with!
64Mb RAM (I think; might have been 32)
4Gb HDD
Some fairly horrid generic ISA sound card

This was the set-up my dad deemed worthy for my usage. Quotes like "you'll never use all that space" and "why do you need a 3D graphics card, exactly?" still haunt my sleep...

Most of it is still running around. I have the HDD as a slave in my current system, and the FDD, and for some reason the keyboard it came with, which has withstood all that I have thrown at it (and there has been much!) for the last four or five years and still works perfectly. :confused: The rest has been farmed off onto various members of my family. My sister has my old graphics card, while the rest of it is the basis of my mums computer, when she decided to upgrade from the 486 we bought out of the papers for £50...

It wasn't such a bad system, until I started getting really into pc gaming. Thief ran OK, and I played a lot of Civ2. It beat the pants off my dad's pentium 90 for a bit anyway! Tee hee... was he ever jealous! First year in Uni, I was in halls and on the network. My parents came to see me, and I think my dad spent more time fiddling with my computer than talking to me...

If we're talking really worst, a mate of mine is still running (and regularly using) a 266 celeron, with some sort of S3 graphics card. It can just about manage Quake 2.

Neur0
31st Oct 2003, 06:52
Ahhh I finished Deus Ex 1 on my old system at around 15fps

Pentium 166
80Mb RAM
6Gb HDD
Voodoo Banshee 16Mb

but I still loved every minute of it!
I just upgraded from

AMD 1.33 T'bird
768 MB SD133
40Gb HDD
128Mb GF4 ti 4200
burner dvd etc

to

P4 2.4
1Gb DDR 400
160Gb HDD
128Mb 9600 Pro
burner dvd etc.

So this time around I'll have fantastic performance! Hopefully :)

crimson_stallion
31st Oct 2003, 07:48
Originally posted by Neur0
Ahhh I finished Deus Ex 1 on my old system at around 15fps

Pentium 166
80Mb RAM
6Gb HDD
Voodoo Banshee 16Mb

but I still loved every minute of it!
I just upgraded from

AMD 1.33 T'bird
768 MB SD133
40Gb HDD
128Mb GF4 ti 4200
burner dvd etc

to

P4 2.4
1Gb DDR 400
160Gb HDD
128Mb 9600 Pro
burner dvd etc.

So this time around I'll have fantastic performance! Hopefully :)

Just wondering, what brand is your 9600? I can barely stretch the budget for a non-pro 9800, and im wondering if its worth forking out AU$500 for a video card (due to depreciation reasons) so i'm thinking of looking at a 9600 pro instead.

What type of performance do you get out of current games in say, 1024x768x32 with high detail?

I'm running a barton 2500+ with 1gb DDR333 ram so i'm thinking the system performance would be relatively comparable.

If you get good performance with the 9600, ill jsut go for that. If it struggles with some current games, i may have to look at the 9800...

Also, do you ever have any problems with image quality, lock ups, etc with the card?

Thanks !

Neur0
31st Oct 2003, 11:14
Originally posted by crimson_stallion
Just wondering, what brand is your 9600? I can barely stretch the budget for a non-pro 9800, and im wondering if its worth forking out AU$500 for a video card (due to depreciation reasons) so i'm thinking of looking at a 9600 pro instead.

What type of performance do you get out of current games in say, 1024x768x32 with high detail?

I'm running a barton 2500+ with 1gb DDR333 ram so i'm thinking the system performance would be relatively comparable.

If you get good performance with the 9600, ill jsut go for that. If it struggles with some current games, i may have to look at the 9800...

Also, do you ever have any problems with image quality, lock ups, etc with the card?

Thanks !

I got mine for AU$295. Well I just finished Max Payne 2 and it ran perfect at 1600x1200x32 with all the settings on high and 2 sample AA. Runs the Doom III alpha at about ~20-40fps.

Runs JK:A at 1280x1024x32 full quality w/dynamic light at ~70fps. I get around 3300 in 3DMark03. Never had any lockups or other probs due to the card.

Although you can get a 128Mb 9800pro for AU$499 now

Neur0
31st Oct 2003, 11:15
I just realised I never said what brand it was. Sapphire. Supposidly pretty good.

crimson_stallion
31st Oct 2003, 12:00
Thanks, I was looking at saphire myself.

Asus have just released some radeon cards, including the 9600XT. I have around 500 max to spend, and if i can get this card for up to $400, then i can leave myself enough money to get Invisible War AND Halflife 2 (which comes with the card).

In comparison, if i were to get a 9800 non-pro id be left with no money, no games to make use of it, and the risk of wasting huge money on big depreciation.

Would also make it less heartbreaking if Nvidia or ATi release any killer new cards within the next 6 months.

If i can run Iwar and HL2 at 1024x768x32, at 30FPS, ill be happy. The 9600XT is apparently only slightly faster then the Pro, but even if its $400, the slight performance increase, Asus quality, and free HL2 will be enough to earn my cash I think.

Thanks for the info !

Lawnboy360
31st Oct 2003, 14:40
GeForce 5700U review, against Radeon 9600 XT and GeForce 5600U.

Benchmarks:
Max Payne 2
Tomb Raider: AOD
Halo
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Flight Sim 2004
Unreal Tournament 2003
XIII Demo
Call of Duty Demo

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTQw

[SYN] Nexus
31st Oct 2003, 15:01
My Primary system is

Pentium 2 350
360 mb RAM
Geforce 4 MX
20 GB hard drive
CD-ROM player and writer
Floppy disk

And I dont even have a system to play DX2, Im gonna search for work to get enough to buy a new system cause I cant miss DX2!!!

And I also have very old computers on my attic, both apples and PCs( mostly 486 and older)

crimson_stallion
1st Nov 2003, 00:48
Thanks lawnboy :)