PDA

View Full Version : GAME COMPLETED - Missing lots of Documented Features

oddjob311
22nd Oct 2003, 23:51
Ok let me start by saying, yea this game was hard but that is what made it fun. I know that many of you have found it to be too hard, but if you learn the patterns and just keep at it you will be able to get it. My big problem with the game is that there are so many things that the manual talks about and are completly missing from the game. I will just start at the beginning of the manual and go through it.

1. HIDING PLACES - it says the thief can use hiding places WHERE are they?
2. SWIMMING - there is only one level where you can swim.
3. MINE DETECTOR - i never even saw it.
4. ROPE LADDER - there was one level with it and it was completly useless.
5. GRAPPLING HOOK- same as #4.
6. ALLIED SOLIDERS
1. Scout - never saw one
2. Paratropper - never saw one
3. Medic - never saw one (noticing a trend here?)
4. Sapper - Never saw one
5. Grenadier - Guess what NEVER
6. Bazooka - nope
7. CANNON - not in this game
8. DRIVING VEHICLES - Only vehicle i was able to drive was a transport truck, everything else wouldn't budge
9. DIVER - only one mission with him in it

The website says that the sapper can set tripwires, so where are they?
Oh and the thief's lockpicks? completly useless, no locked doors.
Well i guess that is it. Now this was my first time playing any of the commandos series and i did like it overall BUT if i could i would go get my money back. Why does pyro think that they can put things in the manual and on the back of the box and then leave them out of the game? isn't that false advertizing?

So i guess that this is a good first third of a game when they get the rest of it finished it better be a free download not an expansion pack that they think i'm going to pay for.

Ataxonu
23rd Oct 2003, 03:22
1. HIDING PLACES - it says the thief can use hiding places WHERE are they? IN CUBOARDS
2. SWIMMING - there is only one level where you can swim. AGREE
3. MINE DETECTOR - i never even saw it. AGREE
4. ROPE LADDER - there was one level with it and it was completly useless. AGREE
5. GRAPPLING HOOK- same as #4. AGREE
6. ALLIED SOLIDERS LEVEL 1 STALINGRAD
1. Scout - never saw one AGREE
2. Paratropper - never saw one DUDE LEVEL 2 STALINGRAD (THE ENEMY REINFORMENTS DUMBARSE)
3. Medic - never saw one (noticing a trend here?) AGREE
4. Sapper - Never saw one YOUR FING DEMO COMMANDO IS A SAPPER
5. Grenadier - Guess what NEVER AGREE
6. Bazooka - nope LEVEL 2 STALINGRAD DUMBARSE
7. CANNON - not in this game LEVEL 2 STALINGRAD (ARTILERY)
8. DRIVING VEHICLES - Only vehicle i was able to drive was a transport truck, everything else wouldn't budge AGREE
9. DIVER - only one mission with him in it AGREE

oddjob311
23rd Oct 2003, 18:41
ataxonu,
thx i didn't think to look in the cuboards, my bad
as for the ALLIED soliders "THE ENEMY REINFORMENTS DUMBARSE" look at the second word there. and there should be a sapper as a allied solider not just a commando.
as far as the Cannon, ok i found it now, my bad.

rufus,
Most manuals say multiplayer only for things that are not in the single player game. and btw the multiplayer through gamespy stinks. i thied fo about an hour to get it to work and was only able to play one game.

Mike_B
23rd Oct 2003, 19:33
They should have implemented a ingame server browser instead.

Twitch
23rd Oct 2003, 20:34
Agree with most of your gripes as I haven't finished so I haven't seen or not seen it all.

The Thief is lying behind boxes at night in shadows and the bleedin' Nazi see him? Get out of town! The one under water mission- the under water area look completely like they forgut to finish the graphics. It looks like something right out of a game of 1989.

C3 is full of inconsistancies. Some missions actually have complete briefings so you know what to do and many others are totally ambiguous where you just wander around the map hoping you hit something right. I never got Inferno to be able to operate the anti-tank cannon in Stalingrad. C3 is ust like C2's poor manual you just try poking keys to find things out only now you're click icon groups too. Terse info on how to manipulate item in the game. Funky and tiny icons all the same color for things like view, tie, gag, pick up etc. There's almost no equipment or "stuff" to be found compared to C2.

On the whole there's a bleakness about the game beyond the decent graphics that portray dingyness of areas and brutal weather. Even that's over done to the point that you can't see worth a damn due to the snow/rain.

Then compare C3's slow to freezing view controls and uncentered interiors with C2's smoothness and it's no comparison.

David
23rd Oct 2003, 22:26
not 1989 but rather 1996. i still find c3 is much better then c2. all that matters is gameplay after all :)

Rammstein
23rd Oct 2003, 23:11
David, if gameplay is the thing you're looking for... I actually enjoyed swimming with my commandos and digging up mines to recycle them on the Wermacht... I actually enjoyed using all the possible tools the commandos have. I actually enjoyed the stability and point of the missions. I've even enjoyed the length and levels themselves. Commandos 3 I've also enjoyed, but come on! C2 Expansion. ;)

Twitch
24th Oct 2003, 14:42
Don't want to argue as each is entitled to his own opinion on what they like. But please run a short C3 mission and then run a C2 mission and you'll see how smooth and "clicking free" C2 is. Just one example- Tiny and a knife. In C2 you hit the a key and go through a door to slice and dice and nazi. In C3 you click on the weapon icon group, click the knife, then find you must de-select the knife to be able to click on the door to enter then you must click on the knife icon again and then click on the enemy 5o kill him. If all the other glaring faults did not exist that alone is just poor user interface that could have easily been avoided.

Twitch
24th Oct 2003, 16:55
Sorry but it's beyond me to figure how hitting one key is less smooth than opening the icon group and selecting the knife. One must visually acquire the icon group, open it and look for the knife icon, which may have moved if he picked up another weapon since the knife's last use, and then select it. The speed of action if unparrelled in hot key vs. icons in a situation where quick action is needed.

C2 had the iconic interface AND the hot keys. Did anyone prefer using icons all the way through C2 to hot keys?

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
24th Oct 2003, 18:35
Originally posted by Twitch

C2 had the iconic interface AND the hot keys. Did anyone prefer using icons all the way through C2 to hot keys?

I used the Icon thingies only a couple of times in C2, the rest was done with hotkeys. Hotkeys were they key element for a quick slash/jab/bind/you.name.it and were so easy to memorize.

Twitch
24th Oct 2003, 23:26
[PAK]Krwawy Lew
"I used the Icon thingies only a couple of times in C2, the rest was done with hotkeys. Hotkeys were they key element for a quick slash/jab/bind/you.name.it and were so easy to memorize."

Exactly!!:D

David
25th Oct 2003, 03:44
same here!
i just remembered how many unhapy people were when c2 was released, and hotkeys have been shanged since cbel.

you cant make anything perfect :)
and i already got used to them anyway!

Twitch
25th Oct 2003, 20:02
Yes but in C2 the keys were RE-PROGRAMABLE like most games are. I have been into flight sims forver and ALL of them have programable controls so that if one is accustomed to a certain layout they can change it. One could have changed C2 to match CBEL if desired.