PDA

View Full Version : Release Date Information : Unofficial

Catman
20th Oct 2003, 12:54
Most retailers are now advertising a December 3, 2003 US release date for DX:IW. While this is still far from official, it's a good indication that the game is nearing completion.

Update: Australian/New Zealand release: according to the latest Atari release schedule, the Australian/NZ PC version is set for a 23 January release. :( The Australian/NZ Xbox version has a 1 March 2004 date.

European release dates are still up in the air, but it sounds like early February is possible.

I'll leave the "official" thread in place for when I receive confirmation from the Mouser's mouth.

==============================================

If you find additional information about possible release dates, especially regarding countries outside the US, please post in this thread.

[Updated Australian release info -Random]

cball05
20th Oct 2003, 19:37
Can't we just ask Mouser if this date is right or not? Why would Edios keep it a secret?

Random
20th Oct 2003, 23:40
I doubt even Ion Storm knows if they'll actually make that date. It seems to be the one they're aiming for -- and they seem fairly confident they'll make it -- but I guess you can never predict delays.

I read a magazine preview yesterday that said Ion has a 'strike team' of writers, designers, programmers etc. set up simply to find ways to break the non-linear game logic so it can be fixed; i.e. if you side with this group at this stage, it stops you from doing something else later on. If an error is found, any correction is sure to have flow on effects.

Given the non-linear nature of the game, it must be incredibly hard to playtest everything, especially because the Xbox is not patchable.

Hwarang
21st Oct 2003, 07:26
According to Random's sources, Australian DXers can expect a December 3, 2003 date as well

WOOHOOOO:D

As with the extra time it is taking. I personally don't mind if it goes a couple weeks, even a couple months behind schedule. Sure I've been waiting for this game for ages. But I, and most other people have high expectations for DX:IW, and I'd much rather play the game with all the bugs ironed out, than to play an almost complete game.

Hwarang.

Don
21st Oct 2003, 15:21
It's total BS that those of us in the UK have to wait longer for the game. I guess I'll have to order it by airmail from the US. Amazon have been known to import new products so I hope we'll be able to get it around the same time as in the US (though it will cost us).
I'm not waiting until Feb.

Sourcerer
21st Oct 2003, 16:26
Originally posted by Don
It's total BS that those of us in the UK have to wait longer for the game.

Yes, it really does suck. Not like we speak a different language (well, not that different anyway). They'll miss all of the christmas trade in europe and post christmas everyone is going to be playing Max Payne 2, Halo and Half-life2. Will any one notice when DXIW is released ?

Like you, I shall have to import it.

Frost Giant
21st Oct 2003, 16:53
My sympathy goes out to you in the UK. I have had to wait for almost everything I have ever wanted, so I know how you feel. However, do not be disheartened by the wait for the day will come when you finally hold the splendor of DX:IW in your hands and you will hope that you are not dreaming I believe it will be worth the wait.;) :)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
21st Oct 2003, 17:22
yes, but it also means we can't come to this forum until we play, so we can't have spoilers given inadvertantly by posters...

Don
21st Oct 2003, 17:27
Frost Giant, stop taking the pills with the smiley faces on, but thank you anyway.
Anyhoo, I will find a way around it. I have a few friends in the US who can buy it and send it to me. Like hell I'm waiting! DX was and still is the best game ever.

x Rich x
21st Oct 2003, 18:11
I thought these days most things have simulataneous worldwide releases (except for where there are translation issues)? Otherwise we'll all just jump on any half-decent american website and import it.

Don
21st Oct 2003, 18:32
I thought that was the deal with software too, since we use the same hardware in the UK, but apparently not. I know there's a difference with things like DVDs because the coding is altered depending on the region. If you think about it, it's pretty pointless setting two release dates with PC games because a copy bought in the US will be identical to one in the UK.
It's just going to cost me more on p&p.

Frost Giant
22nd Oct 2003, 15:26
Originally posted by Don
Frost Giant, stop taking the pills with the smiley faces on, but thank you anyway.
Anyhoo, I will find a way around it. I have a few friends in the US who can buy it and send it to me. Like hell I'm waiting! DX was and still is the best game ever. Pills? I do not understand your analogy.:confused:

Jong
22nd Oct 2003, 16:21
Yep, I'll be ordering from the US too.

Eidos UK had better do something about this.

Dabs
22nd Oct 2003, 20:57
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/dxinvswr/petition.html

European gamers, sign here! (and non-European gamers if you feel like fighting a good cause! :) )

Random
23rd Oct 2003, 01:52
A petition will not do any good. Do you really think that Eidos wants to miss the Christmas period in Europe? Clearly if they could release the game simultaneously, they would. But translating 30000 lines of text into several different languages takes time. Sure it sucks for English speaking Euro countries, but that's how it works, as I understand it: European countries receive the European version of the game, and the European version contains the main European languages.

X2: The Threat is also being delayed in Europe for a couple of months for the same reason.

The only option for a simultaneous release is for the US release to be delayed until next year as well, and do you think US gamers will be happy about that? ;)

persepee
23rd Oct 2003, 06:41
Well, the stores here in Sweden say that the X-Box version of Deus Ex 2 will be released Dec. 3rd just like the rest of the world but they are also saying that the PC version will not released until Feb. 2nd. It might have something to do with language translations but I kinda doubt it. Very few games are translated into Swedish and even when they are they are still usually played in English because the voice acting is often better.

Eidos could easily release DX2 in the UK and other European countries like Sweden, Norway, Finland, etc. that usually play games in English anyway!

If it does hold true, at some of you who live in Europe and own an X-Box will be able to buy that version at the same time as the rest of the world.

P.S. Don't stores in the UK import the US version when the European version isn't available because of delays? They do that in Sweden so it should not be too hard (here in Sweden at least) to buy a US copy from a Swedish store on or around Dec. 3rd.

NamelessOne
24th Oct 2003, 08:17
Originally posted by Sourcerer
Yes, it really does suck. Not like we speak a different language (well, not that different anyway). They'll miss all of the christmas trade in europe and post christmas everyone is going to be playing Max Payne 2, Halo and Half-life2. Will any one notice when DXIW is released ?

Do you guys get the European version (German, French etc languages included) or simply the normal American version? If its the latter, I don't understand why it gets delayed?

In Aus we get the standard american version, pretty much at the same time as they do.

Kennebel
25th Oct 2003, 19:27
1.) Yeah, it does stink for the European players that they have to, theoretically, wait. Sorry, and hopefully software vendors are more considerate in the future.

2.) If anyone has noticed, on the main page for DX: IW, there is a glowing portion in the upper right that states:

"IN STORES 12.03.2003"

This seems like good, official, news for us "yanks" at least. :)

(edit addendum: there also appears to be more info, such as about mods/weapons/etc.)

Darkhelm
25th Oct 2003, 19:59
This may be a dumb question, but are you guys, especially Random and Catman, saying that the US release date (Dec 3) posted on their official DX:IW website, is all but speculation, even on Ion Storm's part?

That's kind of strange, to be honest. :confused:

If it's merely an educated guess, I would've preferred something along the lines of "When It's Done", actually :p

Random
26th Oct 2003, 02:11
That's the date they're aiming for, but it's not completely official. Harvey Smith said in a preview recently that there's still a possibility it won't be out until late December. DrLoomis says (http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=27562) the date is solid, though, a big thing coming from the reticent Ion employees, ;) so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't make that date.

Parsifal
26th Oct 2003, 06:59
That guy with the french nick screws up teh board template :D

Foten
26th Oct 2003, 10:46
Originally posted by Sourcerer

I dont think some1 will play Max Payne 2 and Halo around christmas cuase those games are already in the stores atleast in Sweden. And I dont think some1 will play them for 2 months.

Don
26th Oct 2003, 12:04
A question for the yanks -> Which store do you recommend for buying games over there? Gamestop.com ships to the UK at a reasonable price, but Amazon don't (probably because of their UK branch). Are there any others I should be looking at, considering I've been to the ones on the DXIW site.

Sourcerer
26th Oct 2003, 12:30
Originally posted by Foten
I dont think some1 will play Max Payne 2 and Halo around christmas cuase those games are already in the stores atleast in Sweden. And I dont think some1 will play them for 2 months.

You may be right, I was thinking that a lot of kids won't be getting those games till christmas. But then, kids aren't old enough for an adult rated title like Max Payne 2 anyway are they?
I really think that missing the European christmas trade is going to lose Eidos/IonStorm a lot of money.

James Warren
26th Oct 2003, 15:44
I am not sure what you are really looking for or what you intend to do, Don, but these are all large corporations with many stores in California and elsewhere. All carry a large selection of game software at competitive prices. I have been to all of them within the year. Some will sell on line and some will not.

http://www.frys.com/
go to faq "outpost" for on line store

http://www.circuitcity.com/init.jsp
http://www.compusa.com/
http://www.walmart.com/
http://www.bestbuy.com/
http://www.staples.com/
http://***********max.com/
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_home.jsp?mt=a&bn=0&ts=1067182311109
http://www.costco.com/

BrightShadow
27th Oct 2003, 07:04
The website shows that you will eventually be able to download a demo of DX2 but they say nothing about when. Judging from the screenshots it looks like the game is mostly complete, and im wondering if anyone has heard anything :confused:

-Mystic Bright Shadow

Random
27th Oct 2003, 07:37
Check this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25835) for some info on the demo. :cool:

ordrick
27th Oct 2003, 16:43
This is a direct quote from IGN's new (as of Oct. 23) preview which can be found here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/456/456275p1.html

The December 2nd release date is still considered tentative, although if it's missed, there's a "Ninety-nine percent chance it will be within a week before Christmas," according to Harvey Smith.

Machinax
27th Oct 2003, 18:22
This quote from Dr. Loomis, a developer at Ion Storm, who posted this on their official forums:

i cant get too specific about exactly where the xbox and pc versions are in their respective acceptance paths, but suffice it to say the 12/3 date is solid, and the demo was just finished , so keep an eye out for that in the near future. we will be releasing it both for the pc and on the official xbox magazine demo disc

Ab_Normal
31st Oct 2003, 04:33
Originally posted by Random
The only option for a simultaneous release is for the US release to be delayed until next year as well, and do you think US gamers will be happy about that? ;)

With all due respect, that certainly isn't the "only" option. How about they consider releasing it to ALL English speaking countries not just America and Australia? If they are spending ages translating then that's too bad for non English speakers but I don't see why we should have to suffer.

It's all very well you saying what you do about the petition and the fact that we have to just deal with it but you have it coming your way soon and we are being strung out. I will be getting it as soon as it's available on Amazon or wherever, it's just a shame I have to go through the hassle.

I've been waiting for this game for ever, distribution continously being put forward as we all know, and I can't believe that at the last minute they have to do the languages.

Don
31st Oct 2003, 10:10
Ab_Normal, first of all I agree with what you're saying. The other thing is that you can't order the US version from Amazon, or any other store that has branches or sister companies in the UK, since they just divert you to them and then you have to order the EU version.
You have to go to a US only company. www.gamestop.com ship to the UK. Overall the cost comes to under £40 (unless the exchange rate changes radically), which isn't too bad. There are probably others but I haven't had a chance to look through them all.
Hope this helps!

Random
31st Oct 2003, 11:33
I just thought I'd better make it clear that the Australian release date is not at all official. Atari's website (http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957) lists the release as March 2004, so we can but hope they grab the US version instead of waiting.

ADP
1st Nov 2003, 14:00
I just thought I'd better make it clear that the Australian release date is not at all official. Atari's website (http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957) lists the release as March 2004, so we can but hope they grab the US version instead of waiting.

So what is the email address so we can spam them????
;)

Random
1st Nov 2003, 14:25
The only ones I can find are:
webmaster.australia@atari.com
support.australia@atari.com

For all they say we can contact them at any time, the email addresses aren't very prominent. ;)

DarkForge
1st Nov 2003, 16:44
GamesMaster magazine put a UK release date as "Spring 2004", but that's as close as you get. :D

Dabs
1st Nov 2003, 17:35
Whilst I'm strongly against obtaining games through any means other than buying them legitamately from shops and putting money in the dev's pockets, it's looking like I'm going to have to make an exception here. A shame because, alongside Half-Life 2, I can't think of another game that will deserve my money more than this. However, an insulting 3-month wait is an insulting 3-month wait.

Lawnboy360
2nd Nov 2003, 01:47
Whilst I'm strongly against obtaining games through any means other than buying them legitamately from shops and putting money in the dev's pockets, it's looking like I'm going to have to make an exception here.

Considering you're on a publisher's forum, it seems to me you should have said that "some people" may be tempted to obtain it illegally, not you. :p

Lawnboy360
2nd Nov 2003, 02:18
(from Ion Storm's forums)

The UK DXIW website is now online, and "Spring 2004" is displayed in the release date box.

(sorry if this has already been mentioned)

EDIT : Warren video from the UK site... downloading now!

ftp://ftp.eidos.co.uk/pub/uk/DeusEx_IW/videos/DXIW_warren.zip

BrainPrawn
3rd Nov 2003, 10:14
I wonder how much it would cost to send a copy of DX2 from the US to the UK... ?

Could be an interesting business if the difference between the US and UK releases are really that far apart.

Plus it seems that the exchange rate favors the UK atm anyway.

DarkForge
3rd Nov 2003, 10:27
I don't mean any disrespect to Eidos/Ion Storm here. Nor do I wish to sound confident in a snobbish know-it-all like manner.

But with the release date (US at least) looming close, why do I have the strange feeling that it may very well suffer a delay, if not for US then for UK? With Half-Life 2 and UT2004 now slipping into next year, it seems that it's just my luck!

I could see the HL2 and UT2004 slips coming a mile away! (HL2 initially aiming for Sept 30th? Who are they kidding?!) I'm not saying it's accurate, but why has IW got my Spider Sense tingling again?

Random
3rd Nov 2003, 12:33
I doubt it will slip. The game is complete, with the Xbox version undergoing final testing, and the PC version getting some last minute enhancements. If it does slip, it will only be by a few days, I would think.

I'm looking forward to a gold announcement in a couple of weeks; which, conveniently, is when my 17 weeks of holidays start. :D (That's not a typo. ;))

James Warren
3rd Nov 2003, 12:44
Lucky Guy! Did you win some kind of contest?

ADP
3rd Nov 2003, 15:06

.......... which, conveniently, is when my 17 weeks of holidays start. :D (That's not a typo. ;))

Damn Uni students!!
Get a job ya mug!!!:p

Don
3rd Nov 2003, 16:30
BrainPrawn, the best store I've found that will ship to the UK is Gamestop.com. The total including postage comes to around £38, but of course this will vary with the exchange rates. I'm going to preorder closer to the release date.

DonMega
3rd Nov 2003, 20:15
You know, everyone in the UK, we can save an extra $10 by shipping it to an american miltiary site. Does anyone have a friend at RAF Fairford by any chance?
hehe. No seriously - im poor and I must play this game.

Dabs
3rd Nov 2003, 23:26
Originally posted by Dabs
Whilst I'm strongly against obtaining games through any means other than buying them legitamately from shops and putting money in the dev's pockets, it's looking like I'm going to have to make an exception here. A shame because, alongside Half-Life 2, I can't think of another game that will deserve my money more than this. However, an insulting 3-month wait is an insulting 3-month wait.

Originally posted by Lawnboy360
Considering you're on a publisher's forum, it seems to me you should have said that "some people" may be tempted to obtain it illegally, not you. :p

You see, what I meant was, "I'm going to have to make an exception" to "strongly [being] against obtaining games through any means other than buying them legitamately", since in this particular case, I now have an appreciation as to why some people would resort to that. Not me, though.

;)

Sorry, have something in my eye.

ADP
5th Nov 2003, 16:43
Atari has confirmed on their website DX:IW will be released here 5/12/03, (the Aussie distributors)
http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957
This probably applies to NZ as well.

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/images/smiley/bounce.gif

Edit: Sorry about the XBOXers, they will have to wait till March, probably has to do with the PAL conversion.:(
http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=1299

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esquire
5th Nov 2003, 17:06
(ignore all questions in this post )
March2004! Aaaaaarrrr! Why are they doing this! Gggrrraaarrrr! etc. why even mention it if you're going to release it in a thousand years (what feels like a thousand years)! Why lead us along into thinking we might get it earlier and then slam on the March2004! GRrrararggarssihjgoirghfl.
Dabs, my English friend, i completely agree with you. I never buy games in any illegal way, but for this game! I don't know what i will or wont do!
But then again, if they release the demo in England some time soon i might be able to cope with not having DXIW for a few more months.

Esquire
5th Nov 2003, 17:08
aaarrr! "2004"! grraaaaarr! "March"! gioehoasdaaaaaaaarrrr

Stone(Dxediting)
5th Nov 2003, 18:51
I find this 3 month delay (outside north america) incredibly insulting as well as inconvenient. What reason on earth do eidos have in delaying the game by such an intermiable length of time?

I challenge the publishers to make some sort of justification as the rest of us are at a loss to do so. Certainly its not some bizzare marketing strategy as by missing out on the christmas rush they are essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

This is effectively a snub to all the european fans of this game (which is a VERY large proportion by the way) and i think myself, dxediting.com and the majority of european gamers would like to see eidos provide an alternative explanation, or better yet, an earlier release date.

eliah
5th Nov 2003, 19:07
Again another developer/publisher thinks Europeans are not worth considering.

Well, instead of bying the game, we have to find another way of acquiring the game. Apparently this is what Eidos wants us to do.

Neutrino
5th Nov 2003, 19:14
Just release the game already... How irritating that the PC version is done, and is waiting for the X-BOX version to be completed..

As for you poor Europeans and Australians....I feel your pain...

But that's just the way it is... So tough it out...

Or just order it though the internet at a U.S. website..

DarkForge
5th Nov 2003, 20:49
For those in the UK that have the ability to download large-sized files, we'll get the demo when everybody else does. We just have to wait a little longer for the full experience, that's all.

Yeah it sucks, but what can you do?

cball05
5th Nov 2003, 22:14
Translating for us Americans, I guess that means December 5? I saw 5/12/03 (read March 5 in the US) and got a little confused....

Tinuz
5th Nov 2003, 22:19
Anybody know somethin about europe? ( Especially the netherlands )
Looked for it but couldn't find it.

Systemshocked
5th Nov 2003, 22:23
From Atari.com.au
Release Date: 5th Dec 2003 (http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957)
See the left column for the Release Date, Australian sale price and New Zealand sale price.

Tassadar5000
5th Nov 2003, 23:01
Originally posted by ADP
Atari has confirmed on their website DX:IW will be released here 5/12/03, (the Aussie distributors)
http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957
This probably applies to NZ as well.

http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/images/smiley/bounce.gif

Edit: Sorry about the XBOXers, they will have to wait till March, probably has to do with the PAL conversion.:(
http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=1299

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Australians all across rejoice! :D
(Those are the only words to the anthem I know)

Random
5th Nov 2003, 23:07
Good spot, ADP. :D This is awesome. :D

Edit: though this probably could have gone in the sticky thread. ;)

Edit 2: okay, I merged the threads. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Adroen
6th Nov 2003, 04:28
Yeah Random, this is what I call a nice Christmas present hehe :)
Congratulations to Atari Australia for this decision is in order. It inspired me to register on these forums just to say 'WOOHOO' :)
K going to be walking around with a grin on my face for the next month now.

ADP
6th Nov 2003, 13:50
Good spot, ADP. :D This is awesome. :D

Maybe the spam worked?.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
6th Nov 2003, 14:34
I wonder if I could convince my local supermarket to order some.

but I wonder if there isn't a law against it. (like, shops may only sell games after they have been translated to french...)

I'll give it a try, though

Adroen
7th Nov 2003, 00:42
Originally posted by ADP
Maybe the spam worked?.

Well, i'm willing to look the other way this time ADP :)

lyra
7th Nov 2003, 03:21
dont rush it...look what happened to tomb raider.
id rather wait till march then have it out unfinished and crappy in december. look at deus ex 1 it aaaamazing.
i want a good game a game that will challenge and step up to halflife 2.
i live in canada so i guess it comes out in december 3rd but even if that changes im still willing to wait. take your time i say and give us a hell of a good game.

im sorry i know u guys want the game but tombraider was too big of a dissapointment. its a good game but its unfinished and compeltely unsatisfactory. oh and BTW about europe getting the game after North America. i dont see a reason for u guys to complain about that. after all you guys got Silent hill3 for PC ages ago while we're still waiting for it.

Prohass
7th Nov 2003, 06:15
Can someone elaborate on the March Xbox release date? If the game has been sent to microsoft for testing (as i've heard, it might not have been) then why would it take untill March to be released?

Im not complaining or anything, just wondering.

Random
7th Nov 2003, 06:39
This is a complete guess, and bear in mind I know nothing about game development or distribution: I'm guessing the PAL version won't be done until the Euro version (which uses PAL) is ready. And the Euro version won't be ready until all the language translations are done. I'm guessing they won't do a PAL conversion just for Aus and NZ until they can also do it for Europe.

Again, that's just a wild guess.

Prohass
7th Nov 2003, 11:26
That would be very annoying if it turns out to be true, waiting several months just for a simple PAL conversion. Ah well, we'll wait and see.

lyra
8th Nov 2003, 19:54
oookay i take back what i said before. waiting until december was fine and im okay with that. but MARCH!! i mean cmon. i can take a delay till january as well but march is too goddamn far. oh well i pre0orderd the game anyways and ill see what happenes.

Random
9th Nov 2003, 00:48
If you're in Canada, you'll get the game 3 December ...

lyra
9th Nov 2003, 03:44
lol YAY!!!!! i asked the ebgames dude and he confirmed that we get the game on december 3rd. this is gonna be amazing.

oherror
9th Nov 2003, 03:49
well my thought on the euro release date is it may be that the game is complete but the multi - lang support is not. And for the people in the uk what is the exchange rate to the us dollar and if you really want it why don't you just have it shipped to you.

Don
9th Nov 2003, 14:15
I am having it shipped. But the shipping costs a hell of a lot more.

lyra
10th Nov 2003, 00:33
lol i just hope its a finished and awesome game. i dont wont something like tombraider. if thats the case id rather wait till march i seriously would. id be dissapointed but id rather have a finnished game then a crappy buggy one

dirigimaster
10th Nov 2003, 18:49
Originally posted by eliah
Again another developer/publisher thinks Europeans are not worth considering.

Well, instead of bying the game, we have to find another way of acquiring the game. Apparently this is what Eidos wants us to do.

Just out, PC gamers are screwed too, Xbox version comes out first. >:-(

Catman
10th Nov 2003, 18:51
Actuallly, we don't yet know that for certain -- we only know that the Xbox release date has been confirmed and that's there's no official statement regarding the PC release date.

dirigimaster
10th Nov 2003, 19:00
Originally posted by Catman
Actuallly, we don't yet know that for certain -- we only know that the Xbox release date has been confirmed and that's there's no official statement regarding the PC release date.

So they're torturing us only to perhaps release the PC version first?

AlteredGlyph
10th Nov 2003, 19:38
If they release the PC version after the Xbox version, I will be very angry. Very, very angry. So don't make me angry, and release the PC at the same time Xbox comes out. Please.

Random
11th Nov 2003, 00:08
Dr Loomis:

remember, there is a long microsoft certification process that has to happen for xbox titles, a process that PC games dont have to go through.

this means we have to submit a gold master for the xbox weeks and weeks before the PC gold master....

....so it's entirely okay for the PC version to go gold later than the xbox version. that does not at all mean that it will not be a simultaneous release.

;)

Like they've said all along, the release will be simultaneous.

James Warren
11th Nov 2003, 02:36
Random{Like they've said all along, the release will be simultaneous.}

I don't know how simultaneous the release of the two platform versions will be but I *do* know that the release of the PC version will be as simultaneous with my purchase as I can make it.:D

Prohass
11th Nov 2003, 05:22
Its gonna piss me off something savage if they release it in Australia and New Zealand in March just because they couldn't be arsed to PAL it untill they've finished the language transitions for Europe.

It sucks being in Australia, Morrowind Game Of The Year Edition and Grand Theft Auto Double Pack arent comming out untill next year for xbox because of PAL!!!!

What the hell is PAL anyway? Whats the point of it? All it seems to do is cause games to be delayed a few months for countries without NTSC.

Varamyr
11th Nov 2003, 06:22
Prohass,

PAL stands for "Phase Altering Line." It is the standard format used for television in most of the world (other than the US, Canada, Japan, and France). Canada, Japan, and the US use NTSC (National Television System Committee), and France uses SECAM (Sequential Couleur A Memoire, or Sequential Color with Memory). PAL has 625 lines of resolution at 50 half frames per second, which is almost identical to SECAM but quite different from NTSC. PAL TVs have better coloring and better resolution than NTSC TVs.

As far as I know, it is used because of differences in AC power. Countries that have 50Hz AC power use PAL, and countries that have 60HZ AC power use NTSC.

I might be wrong.

Random
14th Nov 2003, 07:41
Atari has updated their website (http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957) with a 12 December release date for the Australian version. A one week delay. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif Let's hope there are no more.

Don
14th Nov 2003, 15:31
If you want to order the US version of DXIW, go to www.dvdboxoffice.com . It's a Canadian site that delivers FREE anywhere in the world. If you want a faster delivery you can pay for courier but even that's only around £6 to the UK at current exchange rates. It's actually cheaper than buying on the high street.

Sourcerer
14th Nov 2003, 20:42
Sounds good, but I want my free T-Shirt and I'm prepared to pay extra to get it.

DarkForge
14th Nov 2003, 23:46
lmao - now that's commitment eh? :p

ADP
15th Nov 2003, 02:39
Atari has updated their website (http://www.atari.com.au/product/?action=view&id=957) with a 12 December release date for the Australian version. A one week delay. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif Let's hope there are no more.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~wsthune/cps/ted/tedws.gif

This really expresses how I feel about Atari right now!!!

Thanks Catman for the Gif

TimGold
15th Nov 2003, 18:32
Personally, i havent heard of the game "Dues-Ex" anywere, where i am (Israel).
And except me no-one i know knows what the game is.

Got he first game from a friend that downlaoded it somewere, then i searched for it in stores but couldnt find someone that knows what the game is.
So i think the only way here to get the game (legally) is by searching hard in every PC games store there is or ordering it at some website.

I think thats what i am going to do.

(generally what i wanted to say that the date for the official "Release" here is unknown...)

nasher842002
17th Nov 2003, 19:59
on amazon .co.uk i have pre ordered dxiw for december the 17th is when it should come out over here well it says it does. ok just letting u all know .
Nash

Understudy
18th Nov 2003, 13:47
Amazon.co.uk have had that date listed for several months now...

I think that they're just a little behind the times.. :(

dirigimaster
18th Nov 2003, 17:02
Funny how, as the release date draws nearer, time slows down

aquinasproject
18th Nov 2003, 17:31
Psst. over here...

Do you really want to know why the PC game is delayed.

See my thread on "The conspiracy" posted and locked on 11-18-03.

I didn't think random was in on it. My mistake

Random
19th Nov 2003, 01:45
Since when is the PC version delayed?

aquinasproject
19th Nov 2003, 17:50
Its just too classic.

Microsoft, the god of modern time, has put in place a team at Eidos to delay the PC version of the game. By how long I am unsure.

They simply want people to purchase the x-box version instead. So the logical answer is to delay the PC version.

Therefore they have either hacked into Grey Mousers computers to complicate the hardware compatibility testing or have him going to multiple daily meetings to consume his time.

Why do you think he keeps geeting called into the bosses office to discuss his progress. They just want to delay him.

Do you think the PC version would have been released on DEC 3 if it was ready and the x-box version was'nt.

I have heard rumors someone intercepted communications (e-mail) that this is truly the case.

Well, anyway it sounds plausible.:D :D :p :p :p

Random
20th Nov 2003, 08:05
Bad news for Australians and New Zealanders: according to the latest Atari release schedule, the Aus/NZ PC version is set for a 23 January release. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

ADP
20th Nov 2003, 09:22
If this is true, Atari really need a kick in the pants.

Where did you get the info from, the site still says 12 /12 :confused:

Psychotext
20th Nov 2003, 09:55
This might seem like a stupid question, but: Will there be any differences between the UK and the US version? There is no way I can wait until Feb for this beauty so I'm going to have to import it from the US.

Random
20th Nov 2003, 10:36
Originally posted by ADP
If this is true, Atari really need a kick in the pants.

Where did you get the info from, the site still says 12 /12 :confused:

The editor of PC PowerPlay, an Australian games mag, received a copy of Atari's new release schedule, which said 23 January. So the info is from Atari, if second hand. The editor's a Deus Ex fan, though, so I trust he knows what he's doing.

Jong
20th Nov 2003, 10:56
The whole release date story is very confused. On this forum Grey Mouser has said the date on the US site refers to Xbox only and there is no confirmed PC release date (because I guess of the high res textures, tuning and testing still being done).

As Aus is a PAL country they won't (it seems) get an Xbox release at the same time as the US. As the US doesn't yet have a date for the PC release I don't know how anyone else can.

I think we just have to wait for the official announcement.

From Grey Mouser's post I am still half hopeful of a simultaneous English PC release in AUS, UK and US. Fingers crossed!

charon
20th Nov 2003, 15:46
my preorder for deus ex in australia says 12/12 now instead of sometime in march, though i guess that could be from the site =( please oh please gimme deus ex before xmas

AlteredGlyph
20th Nov 2003, 18:16
Well, since the official thread is locked, I'll have to post my celebration here! First off, my computer can run it:D, and second, the release edate for PC is confirmed to be the same as Xbox! Oh joyous day, I thank thee for coming.

dirigimaster
20th Nov 2003, 18:37
HURR
AY!

aquinasproject
20th Nov 2003, 19:32
Dang there goes my conspiracy theory on microsoft.

I bet they got scared, when I revealed their plan.

Well time to preorder.

Or maybe they just want us to preorder and then they will delay it.

Go get some sleep mr. mouser.

NamelessOne
21st Nov 2003, 01:18
Originally posted by aquinasproject
Dang there goes my conspiracy theory on microsoft.

I bet they got scared, when I revealed their plan.

Don't be a fool! They're just trying to throw you off the scent!

Hey, theres a knock on the door...

Oh no! Its them! Tell....

There was no-one at the door. Everything is fine. I am still here. There is no conspiracy. Continue as you were.

By the way, the X-Box shall reign supreme, and Bill Gates is our supreme lord and master.

aquinasproject
21st Nov 2003, 01:31
Whats kind of scary is you think were joking but you know that it could easily be true.

All hail Microsoft and the x-box. The "Dues ex next millenium"

Im sure in my original post got some people a little paranoid.

Hey what was that noi..se....I

OrioTecc
21st Nov 2003, 16:23
just keep a linux box at home, that keeps those buggers away:D

davegod
21st Nov 2003, 19:49
is there any reasons being given for the Euro's delay in PC version?

I'm highly sceptical about translations, since any fool can see that you dont need a completed game before you can have translations done, very basic project management.

Only thing I can think of is ludicrous - that the xbox delay (for perfectly valid technical reason of NTSC -> PAL) is directly leading to PC delay, to ensure simultaneous release. I have rather a lot of difficulty beleiving this though, since insulting your european customers and subjecting products to extremely high levels of piracy for such an asinine reason is the sort of thing auditors sharpen their pens for.

Yeah, I do find it insulting, as would -- and quite rightly -- any customer, in any industry, who has to wait 3* months longer than another, with no plausable explanation being apparent and none whatsoever being given.

*feb seems to be the date banded about, actually says March on the official site?

How many people who would pay for your game do you think will download it instead; and how many will still go and pay for it 3 months after they have finished it, when there is no multiplayer?

Frost Giant
24th Nov 2003, 00:25
Originally posted by NamelessOne
Don't be a fool! They're just trying to throw you off the scent!

Hey, theres a knock on the door...

Oh no! Its them! Tell....

There was no-one at the door. Everything is fine. I am still here. There is no conspiracy. Continue as you were.

By the way, the X-Box shall reign supreme, and Bill Gates is our supreme lord and master.

Bill Gates should make Gaming PC's, then he will reign supreme IMHO.

ADP
24th Nov 2003, 05:27
The editor of PC PowerPlay, an Australian games mag, received a copy of Atari's new release schedule, which said 23 January. So the info is from Atari, if second hand. The editor's a Deus Ex fan, though, so I trust he knows what he's doing.

I just checked the Atari site again...like I do regularly now, the IW PC page has been updated and it says 12/12. Guess we will just have to see........:confused:

Adroen
24th Nov 2003, 13:02
Well, just checked out Topshop and that's the date they now have listed too, which backs up that editor's info, unfortunately for us in Oz. Looks like it's waiting time again. I always get sucked into believing release dates instead of seeing it sitting on the shelf before I get excited. No christmas present now. :rolleyes:

Uvorn Knejt
24th Nov 2003, 18:21
Oh crap why do europeans get bumped in the backside everytime?

I have never gotten why there has to be all this language changing in every game released. Come on! if you can't speak english it's about bloody time you learned how! How can you not speak english? It's quite essential in todays modern fast growing speedway'ish world. I don't care if you say you're only 10 years old and german... learn it now or face the dire consequences! Oh and stop synchronizing your movies, it's terribly distracting just before reaching peak performance to hear "ach! du macht mich so geil!" on RTL fridays between 00 and 0200 hrs... I guess?

Psychotext
24th Nov 2003, 18:55
lmao! :eek:

Don
24th Nov 2003, 19:01
Originally posted by Uvorn Knejt
Oh crap why do europeans get bumped in the backside everytime?

I have never gotten why there has to be all this language changing in every game released. Come on! if you can't speak english it's about bloody time you learned how! How can you not speak english? It's quite essential in todays modern fast growing speedway'ish world. I don't care if you say you're only 10 years old and german... learn it now or face the dire consequences! Oh and stop synchronizing your movies, it's terribly distracting just before reaching peak performance to hear "ach! du macht mich so geil!" on RTL fridays between 00 and 0200 hrs... I guess?

ROFL!! I must admit, being an english speaker, that I would love it if everyone spoke the language. But you have to respect other people's languages, even if most the world speaks yours. I've studied french, spanish and hope to start Japanese at Uni.
Though I must say, the US version should have been made available to us Europeans. Luckily we have a answer:
www.dvdboxoffice.com
I still can't get over the free worldwide delivery.

Uvorn Knejt
24th Nov 2003, 19:22
Ok of cause I must respect other languages, but I don't expect or wan't everything translated into Danish just because it's my native language! I mean have you ever travelled around Europe? It's appalling how few people speak decent english, although it can make for some interesting and at times hilarious hand gesture sessions when trying to tell the taxi driver that you need to get to the harbour. Waving your hand around like a maniac trying to imitate a rowing boat!

And the post was more an attempt at overstating the issue and a wenting of frustrations over having to wait, then a serious statement on my part. Sorry if it was perceived otherwise.

Don
24th Nov 2003, 21:34
Nah, I wasn't flaming you. I have to agree actually.

Uvorn Knejt
24th Nov 2003, 22:21
Oh bollocks, never mind then! I never was any good at internet abbreviations.

A mate just told me what ROFL means. Hmm yes perspective does wonders to a text, I see that now. Live and learn and all that.

FuriousNoob >:-(
24th Nov 2003, 22:36
Ok of cause I must respect other languages, but I don't expect or wan't everything translated into Danish just because it's my native language! I mean have you ever travelled around Europe? It's appalling how few people speak decent english, although it can make for some interesting and at times hilarious hand gesture sessions when trying to tell the taxi driver that you need to get to the harbour. Waving your hand around like a maniac trying to imitate a rowing boat!

LOL. I'm from Texas and i've never been to europe although i would love to. I was always under the impression from Europeans who come to the states and from friends that have gone oversea, that a lot of europeans speak english. Is that not true? Obviously the UK wouldn't really count - but what about the rest of europe?

Uvorn Knejt
25th Nov 2003, 12:44
It varies a lot! Some countries don't emphasize that much on teaching english in their school system, while others have a resonably high level of english education pretty much all the way to and through high school. Of cause the extent of english speaking media in the country also has a certain influence. Some countries like to synchronize movies... Germany I'm looking in your general direction!

I don't like to point fingers, but... cough... France, Spain and Italy... cough... could it be? I know I'm generalizing here, but once in Spain a guy didn't know the word Internet! And he was working in a netcafe! Come on! How do you hand gesture that you need to check your email? A challinge to be sure!

Psychotext
25th Nov 2003, 12:48
Come on! How do you hand gesture that you need to check your email? A challinge to be sure! Always carry a can of Spam. That'll do the trick. :D

Uvorn Knejt
25th Nov 2003, 13:21
Always carry a can of Spam. That'll do the trick.

Well there you go!

I still don't see the reason why it is necessary to pospone the realease in Europe by... what does it say now... March! by three months? How can this be? We agree there is no technical difference betwen the US and European versions (at least not the PC version)? I understand that new manuals must be made with epilepsy warnings in ten different languages, but that would take what... an afternoon. Three bloody months is a long time to wait. Of cause we get to hear the response of the US players, but its just not the same.. is it?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
25th Nov 2003, 13:27
It varies a lot! Some countries don't emphasize that much on teaching english in their school system, while others have a resonably high level of english education pretty much all the way to and through high school. Of cause the extent of english speaking media in the country also has a certain influence. Some countries like to synchronize movies... Germany I'm looking in your general direction!

I don't like to point fingers, but... cough... France, Spain and Italy... cough... could it be? I know I'm generalizing here, but once in Spain a guy didn't know the word Internet! And he was working in a netcafe! Come on! How do you hand gesture that you need to check your email? A challinge to be sure!

yeah, and every german doesn't have a sense of humour, drinks beer, wears leathers outfits and so on.

do you know the word "cliché"?

Psychotext
25th Nov 2003, 13:40
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
yeah, and every german doesn't have a sense of humour, drinks beer, wears leathers outfits and so on.

do you know the word "cliché"? PUT DOWN THAT GARLIC BAGUETTE! :p

Uvorn Knejt
25th Nov 2003, 13:57
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames

That's exactly what I mean!