PDA

View Full Version : Will DX:IW Live up to expectation?

SmoothDrRod
20th Oct 2003, 06:42
I would like to think that I am the world's biggest Deus Ex fan( Like most of you in here I cringe when I hear the title mispronounced). When one of my friends finally made me play through an hour of the game i was hooked and I have been replaying it for years, still finding neat little things here and there i didn't find in the first. after seemingly three short years the release of DX:IW is upon us all and I don't know about the rest, but I personally am apprehensive. Owning a computer shop, I have seen first hand how much technology has evolved since the first version... Every thing I have read seems to focus on the graphics this and the AI that... but DX was for me a geniune quantum leap in what a game could be. I never in my wildest dreams thought a game could ever be like that (which is why it is my absolute favorite of all time... forcing my to forsake even Sid Meier's original Pirates I played as a kid on my dad's 386 constantly swapping the two 5.25" floppies").

I might be aiming a little high here, but i am hoping that DX:IW, almost expecting, it to be the same sort of Quantum leap forward in the game playing experience... but can it be? I am not so concerned with graphics or the like (i know it helps)... i just want a new paradigm in the game playing exeperince.

Hopefully i am nervous for now reason... any thoughts people?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Oct 2003, 08:47
hmm I suggest you read some of the other threads on this forum, about how the game will be, and what the features will be.

I'm confident it WILL be something new in the gaming experience.

NamelessOne
20th Oct 2003, 10:05
I damn well hope it will. Every other game released this year has disapointed me.

Machinax
20th Oct 2003, 14:23
Originally posted by SmoothDrRod
386 constantly swapping the two 5.25" floppies.

Ahhh.... 386s and 5.25 floppies. I remember those all to well. And here I am on a PIV 1.7 Ghz Laptop. Bwaha.

Anyway, yes, I do think the game will live up to the expectations. The same smart people who put out a game like the original Deus Ex are behind the controls for this one, so I'm expecting something juicy.

And if they do disappoint me, I'm going to personally hunt down Harvey Smith and Warren Spector... and shave them. Bald. And very clumsily, too.

Lawnboy360
20th Oct 2003, 16:34
I really think it will, and I can't wait. I'm waiting for the first reviews, hopefully 95% + :)

gareis
20th Oct 2003, 17:37
It will live up to expectations if you moderate your expectations. If you expect something about as good as DX1, you will likely get a pleasant surprise.

I really should buy that game again. My friend took it back after I stole it from him :mad:

James Warren
20th Oct 2003, 19:30
SmoothDrRod}
... i just want a new paradigm in the game playing exeperince.
}

Bingo! Absolutely, my thoughts, too, from my first experience with the Deus Ex demo! I immediately remembered the early paper and ink books that featured decision points and alternate plot lines that captured my imagination in theory but disapointed me in fact and I realized that Ion Storm had actually perfected this idea in the perfect medium for this kind of fiction. Ion Storm and Warren Spector may be too close to the myriad of problems inherent to computer game creation to have a simple name for it.

I am just calling it "interactive fiction." The term "emergent game play" has been used, implying perhaps, that some new kind of technology (better physics and/or AI) allows this new kind of game play to happen but to quote the Bard "The play's the thing." And in this case "the play within the play" and even more "the play within the play within the play!" Managing the stack of multiplying outcomes from the decision points is THE problem to solve in creating the "interactive fiction" for THIS shiny new pair of dimes.

Now, in my simple minded view, the management of outcomes must be solved in the creation of the story by the WRITER just as was the case with the first primitive paper and ink novels of this type. Imagine a new kind of word processor that will allow a writer(s) to create a set of story actions and dialogue separate from the 3d animation (no 3D compile time delay for each new trial.) Imagine a "story board" software that allows for a "radio" version of the story to be played out as it is being developed. And only after the drama and voice and action had been assembled would the 3D animation artists start working on the "movie" part. Imagine if Ion Storm had such a great storyboard software and released it to the modding community. Imagine some forth programmer some where working on a multi-platform public domain version of this very thing!

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

cball05
20th Oct 2003, 19:42
I've always sided with those saying that "we can trust the devs because they made a good DX1 so they know what they're doing". However, recently it seems like some of our fears about the game are being realized.
Although Warren said that he would never "dumb-down" a game, it appears that, so far, this is not true - the subtitle of "The future war on terror" and the huge gun-wielding Alex imply that the game is being made more simple and stereotypical for a mass audience. There are currently two possibilities:
1) These are just marketing ploys unrelated to game content
2) The game is going to just be a fancy looking FPS

Of course I'll be buying the game either way, but I can only hope that the first case is true...

Dr Strangelove
20th Oct 2003, 19:58
Apparently a playtester has got 2 thirds of the way through the game without even getting a gun, so I don't think we need to worry that it's become a typical FPS. It's the story and characters that will make or break the game as far as I'm concerned however, and we will have to wait and see about that.

TehFreak
20th Oct 2003, 21:14
daikatana. i think that one word sums up all our fears...

Lawnboy360
20th Oct 2003, 23:37
There are currently two possibilities: 1) These are just marketing ploys unrelated to game content 2) The game is going to just be a fancy looking FPS

The publisher handles the marketing (box art, print ads, slogan) so this is just a marketing ploy IMO.

SmoothDrRod
21st Oct 2003, 08:26
Originally posted by James Warren
SmoothDrRod}
... i just want a new paradigm in the game playing exeperince.
}

Bingo! Absolutely, my thoughts, too, from my first experience with the Deus Ex demo! I immediately remembered the early paper and ink books that featured decision points and alternate plot lines that captured my imagination in theory but disapointed me in fact and I realized that Ion Storm had actually perfected this idea in the perfect medium for this kind of fiction. Ion Storm and Warren Spector may be too close to the myriad of problems inherent to computer game creation to have a simple name for it.

I am just calling it "interactive fiction." The term "emergent game play" has been used, implying perhaps, that some new kind of technology (better physics and/or AI) allows this new kind of game play to happen but to quote the Bard "The play's the thing." And in this case "the play within the play" and even more "the play within the play within the play!" Managing the stack of multiplying outcomes from the decision points is THE problem to solve in creating the "interactive fiction" for THIS shiny new pair of dimes.

Now, in my simple minded view, the management of outcomes must be solved in the creation of the story by the WRITER just as was the case with the first primitive paper and ink novels of this type. Imagine a new kind of word processor that will allow a writer(s) to create a set of story actions and dialogue separate from the 3d animation (no 3D compile time delay for each new trial.) Imagine a "story board" software that allows for a "radio" version of the story to be played out as it is being developed. And only after the drama and voice and action had been assembled would the 3D animation artists start working on the "movie" part. Imagine if Ion Storm had such a great storyboard software and released it to the modding community. Imagine some forth programmer some where working on a multi-platform public domain version of this very thing!

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Damn, you pretty much hit it on the head.

SmoothDrRod
21st Oct 2003, 08:28
Originally posted by TehFreak

I couldn't begin to explain to you how much your response made me laugh... because its so F***ing true.:D

SmoothDrRod
5th Nov 2006, 11:08

I thought that at first, and although the game didn't have to total game play time I thought the story line and overall feel of the game held true to the original. Load times with the patch are acceptable but I wish I was more of a programmer so I could force the game to use more than 64mb of system memory. What a f up.

deus ex fan
11th Oct 2007, 22:40
i'm another fan of deus ex.

i believe and its my personal opinion that DX1 was (and still is) a one-of-its kind computer videogame which surpass any modern game.

outstanding in its deeply immersive cyberpunk and dystopian atmosphere,many subplots,future vision of our society.One of the things that really impress me in the game was its science.Nanotechnology.A world dominated by nanotech stuff.But the only thing that really take off the video game to new levels is that of atmosphere.

atmosphere in DX:IW.Unigue.Heavy industrialized world influenced by "metropolis" (lower Seattle "hub"),"blade runner" (mostly at DX:IW),cameras everywhere for surveilance,a governmental attempt to watch citizens of world and finally provide a more claustrophobic,pessimistic & unsafe society:(

so,yes (at least for me) DX:IW is definetely live up the expectations:)