PDA

View Full Version : Visible slap-on biomods!?

Esquire
19th Oct 2003, 16:49
Hello. I was jus watching the DXIW intro (again), when I noticed something interesting to do with that Billie Adams character. I then looked at some of the DXIW wallpapers to find out that I wasn’t imagining what I had seen.

The augmented characters do have sparkly “patches” on some body parts. I’m presuming that the patches are biomods. I saw the patches on Billie Adam’s arms, legs, and hips. Also they are on the DXIW wallpapers (the one with the big flamethrower).

I remember how JC and his augmented friends and foes (excluding the old technologies) didn’t have visible augmentations, apart from their eyes, which were blue or something like that.

Just thought I’d find out if any one else noticed this. Funny how the biomods will have to work through the characters clothing.

cball05
19th Oct 2003, 17:26
Well, supposedly biomodding has improved a lot in the time between DX1 and DX2, so making biomods easier to use (i.e. you place them on your skin rather than installing them with a medbot) makes sense. Not sure why they appear on the outside of the clothing, though - probably just to look cool.

gareis
19th Oct 2003, 19:49
Occam's razor: if those indicate biomods, there would have to be a change in the nature of biomods--two, in fact: one so they work on your skin and one so they cast that wierd purple light.

What's the simpler explanation? Fashion. It's fifty years from now, right? They have nanotech and fancy power sources. So you buy clothes with those cool patches and lights, and they wear out before they power down.

cball05
19th Oct 2003, 20:54
Interesting theory. However, guessing that nanotech is now purple is not a leap of faith considering that the character's eyes are now purple instead of blue and "biomod" implies more of a biological attachment than "augmentation". Nanotech is clothes could have purposes other than fashion as well - I could see self-repairing coats and pants that help you run faster by pushing with an independent force.

Picasso
19th Oct 2003, 21:58
I'm betting that the glow is just part of the uniform.

As for why it glows, I dunno. Maybe it's meant to signify authority, like a cop's uniform, or those raid jackets that FBI/DEA/whatever agents wear.

Alex.D
30th Oct 2003, 06:17
I have a feeling JUST! a feeling that maybe their like nicateen patches because supposedly you can now uninstall augs. so in other words i don think that deus ex had unintillation due to the complexity of the nanites inside him.But if the are just patches then thats why they are easy to uninstall.:D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Oct 2003, 09:00
you are all wrong.

the glowing patches are here to match with the lights on the weapons. I wonder if weapon customisation includes changing the colors of the lights...

it's a fashion thing. (ok, gareis is not wrong after all.)

Esquire
30th Oct 2003, 10:42
heh ha, u mus b jokin!
yo Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames, have u got proof that the patches are fashion? surely a celebrity like NG Resonance wud be wearing them if they truly are la mode.

gareis
30th Oct 2003, 12:06
Originally posted by Esquire
heh ha, u mus b jokin!
yo Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames, have u got proof that the patches are fashion? surely a celebrity like NG Resonance wud be wearing them if they truly are la mode.

Proof? He wants proof before observation! Proof! Bah!

Revealing clothes are always more fashionable. NG Resonance needs to appeal to everyone, from Luddites to the Omar. Thus, simple clothing.

I should know; I'm a fashion genius. *breaks out the leisure suit*

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Oct 2003, 12:14
heh ha, u mus b jokin!

NG Resonnance is already one fashion in advance. she has already left the patches fashion to go back to the new-retro fahion : dress like they used to at the end of the old century

Esquire
30th Oct 2003, 12:32
i don't understand why you think the patches are fashion. We've only seen three people wearing them (Alex female, Alex male, Billie Adams - ne1 else?).

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Oct 2003, 12:47
well, they have trained hard with no right to go out, so they must be the last three wearing last summer's fahion

Don
30th Oct 2003, 13:10
It's unlikely that the patches are augmentations, since the nanites would need to be operating throughout the body. The patches are probably a part of a bioelectric energy source, a way of ditributing the energy from biocells to the nanites more efficiently.

Tbone
30th Oct 2003, 16:05
I'm betting that the glow is just part of the uniform.

Yeah, what he said. So far, everyone we've seen who wears them is part of Tarsus/SOR (whatever SOR is...) I doubt they have any functional purpose.

F3nyx
30th Oct 2003, 21:11
I think Don's suggestion (bioelectric cells) is the most plausible. It still seems weird that there would be something clunky and external connected to the aug system, though - the nano-augs aren't supposed to be so obviously augmented.

jonaswakefieid
31st Oct 2003, 02:29
Is it just me or do those things remind you of tron...

Tenkahubu
31st Oct 2003, 12:54
Damn! Why did you have to make me think of TRON? That's going to stay with me all through the game now.

NB: If you look at the screenshot of Alex talking to NG Resonance the glowing patches dont look quite so crap as on the box art etc.

BornIn1142
31st Oct 2003, 13:43
I remember how JC and his augmented friends and foes (excluding the old technologies) didn’t have visible augmentations, apart from their eyes, which were blue or something like that.

JC has strange silver tatoos.

Esquire
31st Oct 2003, 13:59
Originally posted by Tenkahubu

NB: If you look at the screenshot of Alex talking to NG Resonance the glowing patches dont look quite so crap as on the box art etc.

I agree.

Esquire
31st Oct 2003, 14:00
Originally posted by BornIn1142
JC has strange silver tatoos.

well them too. I wonder if he'll still have them in DX2.

Esquire
3rd Nov 2003, 17:24
...The augmented characters do have sparkly “patches” on some body parts. I’m presuming that the patches are biomods. I saw the patches on Billie Adam’s arms, legs, and hips. Also they are on the DXIW wallpapers (the one with the big flamethrower)...

What was i thinking! how could they be biomod installation locations!? AlexD would notice that he/she has big sparkly patches on his/her body! The whole concept of visible sparkly biomods is ridiculous! Silly me.
Though the reason behind some of the patches being a different colour (see the 3d Render image of AlexD) remains to be explained to me by anyone (but then again i haven't asked about it). The thing that interests me about this is that AlexD is allowed 5 biomods at a time; In the picture, AlexD has 5 sparkly patches of purple colouration and 1 other patch of orange colouration. 2 patches on each arm both were purple. 2 patches shown on legs, 1 purple, 1 orange. I got the idea that 5 of the patches were purple because there was a biomod in each of those locations.