PDA

View Full Version : 'prevent bomb deployment' level

lawless77
19th Oct 2003, 07:08
Anyone out there manage to get through this level? This game is rapidly passing from challanging to frustrating and annoying. By my count there are 30 enemies on this map. All of which need to be dispatched in under 14 minutes. This of course translates to just over 2 kills per minute, all with only one character (the slowest moving one, btw) and weapons which mysteriously have half the range they do when in the hands of your enemies. They've got to be kidding!

I've tried several different tactics but keep coming up short. If anyone has some insight as to a successful solution, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

vmfive
19th Oct 2003, 17:24
I actually got through this level but it took a long time and many many quickloads. The tactic that worked for me was I killed a soldier and left him out in the open and once another soldier saw him, he would call out for help and a bunch of enemies come to his help. Then I threw a grenade right in the middle of them which got rid of like 6 or 7 enemies at the same time. You can get grenades from one of the boxes.

parinelli
20th Oct 2003, 01:40
Hey this level seems impossible!
Mainly beacuse I've not understood what to do in order to end the level!
Shall I:

1) Kill all the soldiers (including the tank?)
2) Blow up the four bombs palnted on the train tracks

The situation in my last quickload is the following:

-2 minutes left
-2 more soldiers left, in the ground floor of the two-floor building next to the tracks
-1 tank left
-the truck is still on the tracks
-4 nazi bombs on the track

My equipement:

-submachinegun, rifle and assault rifle
-4 grenades
-2 explosive barrells

As you might have noticed I've got 6 spare explosive rounds which shoud blow up 4 bombs and a tank (which requires three shots)

What shall I do?

I've tried killing all the enemies, I've tried clearing the tracks: still I haven't got enought time & equipement to do both.

Please help me.
I'm really pissed off.
It was a tough mission, well I managed to hadle it: but I won't resign to what appears to be just a bug.
Thanks everyone.

lawless77
20th Oct 2003, 03:37
I finally beat this one.

Parinelli, it looks like you have enough time and equipment to finish with plenty of time to spare. Personally I had about 12 seconds left at the end.

Here are some things to note: Despite the goals(if you can even read them since they are partially obscured by the clock, WTF!) which say that you have to destroy all the enemy vehicles, all you really need to destroy is the tank, which is accomplished with three grenades. It also states you have to eliminate all enemies, again untrue. It is not neccessary to kill the soldiers inside the building (it's these little things that make this game seem a bit sloppy production-wise). You also don't need to bother with the explosives left behind by the Nazis. You can just move that truck off the tracks and you should be good to go. Also, when I first thought I finished it I kept getting the failure notice at the end and couldn't figure out why. After much searching I found one more guy way over in the corner kind of across the tracks from the crane. So if its not working, take a good look around and make sure you got them all.

A further word of caution: After countless re-tries and frustrations, I moved on to the next map only to have the game crash and all my save game disappear. Thanks Eidos, you're really hooking me up here. I hope you have better luck than me, I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thing 2
20th Oct 2003, 08:13
"A further word of caution: After countless re-tries and frustrations, I moved on to the next map only to have the game crash and all my save game disappear. Thanks Eidos, you're really hooking me up here. I hope you have better luck than me, I wouldn't wish this on anyone."

Welcome to the club my friend :mad:
Tis' the reason I took this game back....well the driving force....there was plenty of stuff before....ACK'!!!

Didn't that just push you over the edge? Surely it must have.....

lawless77
20th Oct 2003, 12:25
Yeah, I'm really pissed. I just don't think I care about this game enough anymore to slog through those annoying early missions again.

I'd much rather re-play C2. Now that game rocked!

parinelli
20th Oct 2003, 19:21
Hey Lawless, thanks a lot for your hints, but I still can't finish this mission.

Blowing up the tank and all the soldiers doesn't work.

Where should I drive the truck to? I've moved it off the tracks, in front of the tank and blowed up both. I've taken it to all the edges of the mapboard. Still doesn't work.

You said it is not necessary to destroy the other veichles. As I could't finish the level I thought they were the key. Actually there are three trucks, one thank, one motorcycle, one car. Surprisingly enough I can only drive one truck (the one on the tracks), while I can enter but can't drive the other two. My commando opens fire on one of them (the one near to - but not on - the tracks) if put in cover mode. I can neither enter nor drive the car and the motorcycle. Blowing up all the veichles doesn't lead me to a success.

You also said it is not necessary to kill the soldiers in the building. You were right: killing them didn't work.

There are some corpses on the tracks, some of which are highlited in yellow as objects when pressing F7. I eventually found out that this was due to the cigarettes the had in their pockets. Removing the corpses from the tracks didn't allow me to get to the following level.

There is only another possible explaination: one soldier might be still alive. Lawless gave me this clue:

After much searching I found one more guy way over in the corner kind of across the tracks from the crane.

Being not a native English speaker, this is all I could understand:

-way over in the corner= very close to one of the four edges of the mapboard
-kind of= in the surroundings of, near to, next to
-across the tracks from the crane= tough one: "across from" means "opposite to", so Lawless might mean "opposite to the crane"; however, "across the tracks" means that the soldier is somewhere "on the tracks", which is false (see above).
-the crane=is it the tower with a ladder next to the tracks with a soldier on it who acts as a sniper (but searching his corpse only revealed an ordinary rifle)?

Once again thanks to all of you for your kind attention and special thanks to Lawless for his aid and support.
Roger and out.

-Parinelli

PineTree24
20th Oct 2003, 19:30
"and weapons which mysteriously have half the range they do when in the hands of your enemies."

What you expect the best Commandos the Allies have to offer in the entire world would actually be good at shooting rifles and such? Wishful thinking, they find Piano Wire a better means to kill people, next thing you know people will want a sniper to carry more then five rounds.... /end sarcasm

Twitch
22nd Oct 2003, 19:11
Yep it doesn't say anything about what to actually do to accomplish the mission like some other ones. So all one must do is blow the tank and it take 3 grenades and remove explosives?

grb800
23rd Oct 2003, 07:59
here is how to do the mission... kill.... ummm.. kill.... oh and kill some more... with speed and gore (grenades come to mind)... then get inot a brawl and knife some mechanics... and blow stuff up again.... and kill..... fast

:)

HPman
23rd Oct 2003, 17:17
I finally beat this one too after maaaany tries...
I had 5:47 left at the end ;)
Every single move was planified this time ;)

grb800
24th Oct 2003, 08:26
all i had to do was kill every enemy person and move the truck... that tank was still un-scratched and it gave me the completion screen :)

Modean
27th Oct 2003, 22:26
At first I thought this mission was a friggin joke. No way would I be able to do this in 15 mins! But it didn't take long at all. Only about a dozen quickloads and one or two complete restarts. Remember you can use the wires to move undetected past enemies.

Ultimately you want to work your way toward the light machine gun on the other side of the tracks. Kill, then hide, jump out and kill again. Grab every weapon you can carry. When you get close to the truck (the one NOT on the tracks, the other truck) use it to hide in. When no one is looking, jump out and toss a grenade at them. Eventually you'll clear a path to the LMG and then the mission is a cake walk. If anything comes running at you, start firing the LMG early. By the time your gun fires, they will be running right into your bullets. Keep moving while you have the LMG, don't expect to stand in one spot. Once you've cleared a path with the LMG, go move the truck.

My mission ended when I moved the truck, but there was still 2 track bombs and a tank left. All nazis dead, though.

Also, you can toss grenades at the bombs to make a really nice boom! Wait until there are multiple nazis within the blast radius of the bomb before you throw.

CurtX
31st Oct 2003, 00:22
Originally posted by Modean
If anything comes running at you, start firing the LMG early. By the time your gun fires, they will be running right into your bullets.

It doesn't work out that way for me. Not all of them come running at me, some of them shoot me dead from a mile away.

CurtX
31st Oct 2003, 01:00
Why are the nazis trying to derail their own train anyway?

And why is the "Killing the Traitor" mission in the Stalingrad campaign when it's actually in Berlin.

Just curious, but these don't make sense to me.

WheresTheBeef
31st Oct 2003, 01:12
You don't have to blow up the tank... I never did... all you have to do is kill everyone and move the truck off the tracks (I also blew up one of the trucks).

Just start off by going down that dirt road to the east where he starts, lie behind the fence with pistol in hand, sucker them into an ambush. Take a rifle, crawl along and take out the rest moving up the tracks (the guys on the other side can't see you and won't run over until you get to the crossing). Toss a nade at them (the guys by the heavy machine gun), the rest come running, nade them too. There goes 75% of the enemy. Now just take out the rest by crawling along in AutoFire mode and you should have about 4 mins to spare.

WheresTheBeef
31st Oct 2003, 03:05
Originally posted by CurtX
Why are the nazis trying to derail their own train anyway?

And why is the "Killing the Traitor" mission in the Stalingrad campaign when it's actually in Berlin.

Just curious, but these don't make sense to me.

LOL... that's what I thought too. Why are they trying to derail their own train? And on top of that, when you get on the train, if you damage the artwork, the mission fails... but it's ok for the Germans to destroy it, even though they are protecting it. :x Breakdown in the lines of communication maybe?
;)

CurtX
31st Oct 2003, 04:04
It's just a sloppy, sloppy game.:rolleyes:

kanez
31st Oct 2003, 04:43
i tried lots of methods to do this mission and only 1 of them worked: drive the truck and run the Nazis over, 70% of Nazis were killed by the truck. i got 2mins left at the end.
if you still can't beat it, maybe you can try mine.