PDA

View Full Version : Can someone shed some light on the RPG system?

Caligula
18th Oct 2003, 14:43
Hello, everyone. I’m an RPG-starved xboxer who has never played a Dues Ex game before. Can someone please give me some information on the RPG system that will be used in Invisible War? I’m aware that the we can chose biomods that can be upgraded. Are biomods the only upgradable element, i.e., are there any skills or other upgradable elements?

Random
18th Oct 2003, 15:36
This is what I've gathered from previews and interviews, etc:

Biomods are the main way of upgrading, and allow you to beef yourself up in various ways, from invisibility to super speed. There are five custom biomod slots, with a sixth holding a flashlight. You can choose from three biomods for each slot, two 'legitimate' and one black market, and each biomod has three upgrade levels. Each upgrade adds new features, not just a statistical improvement, which was the case with some of the originals augmentations.

Some biomods are active, others passive. Active biomods are turned on and off manually when needed and consume energy. Passive biomods are 'always on', and don't use energy.

There are also weapon mods, which add features to your weapons like a glass destabiliser that melts windows.

We're still pretty starved for information when it comes to what all the biomods and weapon mods actually are, but it sounds like there will be a lot. ;)

There was a skill system in the original game, but it's been merged into the sequel's biomod system. I think this is a very good thing. Others might still disagree, but let's not get into that argument again. ;)

I think that's all accurate ...

gareis
18th Oct 2003, 15:42
Warren Spectre got rid of the skills in DX2, and I'm surprised there was no angry lynch mob come to browbeat him. The only other thing you'll be able to upgrade is weapons.

Biomods mentioned:
Vampire mod--sucks health out of corpses into you.
Bot mod--control any bot you can see.
Cloak--invisible to organic enemies.
(Can't remember the name)--invisible to bots.
Speed--go faster, jump 40 feet into the air, less falling damage.
Skul gun--a gun in your skull so you can kill with a thought.
Light--less dark, no?

Probable biomods not mentioned:
Targeting--be more accurate with weapons.
Regeneration--like vampire, but you don't need corpses.
Vision enhancement--see through walls and see in the dark.

Did I miss something?

Caligula
18th Oct 2003, 18:38
Thanks for the replies. This looks like it’s going to be a great game. The more I read about it, the more I like it!

Lawnboy360
18th Oct 2003, 22:27
Of course it will be a great game! ;)

DXIW is an RPG because the player can *choose* how he plays; he's playing a role, not because it uses a bunch of stats coming from the pen&paper roots of RPGs.