PDA

View Full Version : Minimum system requirements?

gamergirl
17th Oct 2003, 17:36
Anyone know what they are for the PC?

Picasso
17th Oct 2003, 18:10
DX2 will require hardware pixel and vertex shaders for your video card. This means that the game needs a GeForce3 or above (but not a GeForce4 MX) or, for ATI, any Radeon that's 8500 or above. You'll probably also need a fairly hefty processor, what with the advanced Physics and AI systems.

I believe they've stated that they're aiming for a playable 30 fps on a GeForce3 and 800 MHz processor. Personally, I'd go for at least a GF4 Ti4200 and 1.5 GHz processor to be safe.

gamergirl
17th Oct 2003, 19:41
Yay! Thanks! I have the GeForce4 Ti 4200 and a 1.7GHz CPU. I wasn't planning to upgrade any time soon, but I MUST be able to play DX:IW. That's non negotiable ;)

gareis
17th Oct 2003, 20:28
Any idea how much memory it'll need?

AlteredGlyph
17th Oct 2003, 21:06
256 would be most likely for the mininmum specs, although 512 would be a LOT better.

lucabrasi
17th Oct 2003, 22:55
Are you saying that the game will not run with a geforce 4 mx440-se?

Picasso
17th Oct 2003, 23:42
No, it won't. The GF4MX's are basically sped-up GF2's. Faster, but still no features like the shaders that DX2 requires. Blame Nvidia's marketing.

gareis
18th Oct 2003, 02:29
In case anyone's interested in getting a new computer for DX2, Dell offers one laptop that would work well. It comes out to $1567 with 512MB of memory, Radeon 9000, 2.6GHz processor, no floppy drive (CD-RW instead). A comparable desktop system is $200 less. That means I can probably play Deus Ex: Invisible War by the beginning of the summer.

Ah, college income is a great thing.

Note: I do not imply any affiliation between Dell and Eidos, Dell and Ion Storm, or Dell and myself. Nor am I a techie or an ubergeek (though I hope to be tested for the ascention within the year). So don't bug the DX staff if you buy yourself a poor computer on my advice.

I do, though, imply an affiliation between myself and college.

`gareis^\

Picasso
18th Oct 2003, 02:44
A comparable desktop system is $200 less.

:eek:

A comparable desktop system can be had for MUCH less than $1300.

If you're looking for a gaming computer, don't even bother with laptops unless you have some urgent need for your computer to be portable.

Besides, I would never do any serious gaming on a laptop. Warcraft or other RTS's, maybe. DX2 or Thief 3? Never.

gamergirl
18th Oct 2003, 03:03
Oh I play games on my P3 laptop all the time: Freecell, Solitaire, MineSweeper...

:D

YUZZAA!!!
18th Oct 2003, 04:09
sweet, i got me Ti4280 with 1gb of RAM, 2.6Ghz and a whopping 200gb of harddisk space

SkriP
18th Oct 2003, 13:59
Originally posted by gamergirl
Oh I play games on my P3 laptop all the time: Freecell, Solitaire, MineSweeper...

:D

hahaha, solitaire 0wnage :p

i played death rally perfectly on my p166 lappy w/16mb of ram :D

but as far as requirements go, im quite happy that my upgrade from over a year ago is still good and kickin! (im rollin with an athlon xp 1800, 512mb DDR, which i'll upgrade to 768mb in a little while :D, GF4 TI4600!) w00t!

i also hope it can handle half life 2...

Lawnboy360
18th Oct 2003, 14:21
In case anyone's interested in getting a new computer for DX2, Dell offers one laptop that would work well. It comes out to $1567 with 512MB of memory, Radeon 9000

I doubt a Radeon 9000 will cut it for DXIW.
The Radeon 9200 is like the 9000 + AGP8x support.
In Splinter Cell, which as a lot of real-time lighting like DXIW, at 1024x768, no AA or AF, the Radeon 9200 gets an average 13.2 frame per-second! And that's an average, so it can be lower than that...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDkwLDU=

SkriP
18th Oct 2003, 16:09
well laptops are simply not designed for hardcore gaming. i mean you have to choose what do you want/need, portability or performance.

lucabrasi
18th Oct 2003, 18:17
Afrter scouring the net and finding hundreds of opinions about video cards and DX2, it's all guesswork. I wouldn't upgrade anything until Eidos releases the system requirements.
IMHO it would be foolish if this game only ran on the most high end (expensive) cards. If this is the case, I'll wait 6 months to buy the game and upgrade my card for half the price it will be in December.

Quillan
18th Oct 2003, 21:40
No, it's not going to be limited to only the super expensive high end cards. It will look a lot BETTER though if you have one of those cards. I tend to agree with an earlier post in this thread. The game is most likely going to require a video card that supports hardware transformation and lighting, pixel and vertex shaders, and a decent processor speed and memory. They might have it set up so it runs on the geforce 2 and 4mx series cards, but we will have to wait to see that. The game will almost certainly require DirectX 9 to be installed on your computer, and I expect it to come bundled with DX 9.0b on one of the game disks. If I had to guess, I would say minimum is probably going to be about 700 mhz processor, 256 megs ram, 32 meg dx8.1 compliant video card and sound card, recommended will probably be about 1 ghz processor, 512 megs ram, 128 meg dx 9 compliant video and sound cards.

But, at this point, this is all still guesswork.

Lawnboy360
18th Oct 2003, 22:36
They might have it set up so it runs on the geforce 2 and 4mx series cards, but we will have to wait to see that.

IS has insisted for years now how DXIW makes use of DX8 features for gameplay and not just eye candy like some other games, and that's why a DX8 card is *absolutely* required.

32 meg dx8.1 compliant video card

That doesn't exist; the first DX8 cards were the GeForce 3 and then the Radeon 8500 and they were 64mb cards.

Freddo
19th Oct 2003, 00:54
Lawnboy360 is correct. Ion Storm have stated several times that it NEEDS a DX8 hardware compatible graphic card. It's the first PC game to do so.

So one NEED one of the following cards (unless I've forgotten any):

ATi
Radeon 8500LE
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9000
Radeon 9100
Radeon 9200
Radeon 9500
Radeon 9600
Radeon 9700
Radeon 9800

nVidia
Geforce 3
Geforce 3 Ti200
Geforce 3 Ti500
Geforce 4 Ti4200
Geforce 4 Ti4400
Geforce 4 Ti4600
Geforce 4 Ti4800
Geforce FX

Matrox
Parhelia

SiS
SiS330 Xabre 200
SiS330 Xabre 400
SiS330 Xabre 600

XGI (new daughter graphiccard company of SiS)
Volari (not out yet, I think)

S3
DeltaChrome (not out yet)

It gonna be a hard time from complaining consumers I'm sure. People complain on the Morrowind forum since they don't get it to start since their graphic "card" doesn't support 32bit resolutions. And to require pixel shaders is a much bigger step than to require 32bit. There will be a lot of complaining here after the game is released, I think.

Lawnboy360
19th Oct 2003, 02:02
No One Lives Forever 2 required hardware T&L (transform and lighting). If I remember well, this is a DirectX7 feature, so a TNT2 doesn't have it but a GeForce2 does. This lead to some complaining, like this online review:

Insane computer requirements
I gave this game 1 star because we were unable to install it on our 2002 computer. It has a particular sound/video card requirement that would require an update for our pc.

Of course, people don't realize that any video card that comes with a "mainstream" PC company is already totally outdated, even if you bought it 1 week ago.

And to require pixel shaders is a much bigger step than to require 32bit.

That's a fact. Even Doom3 will run on a non-DX8 card, even if its graphics are the major selling point. And like in the example above, any "casual gamer" will assume its 1 month old system with 2.6 ghz processor, 512mb of memory and a GeForce4MX will run DXIW.

But I think (some)stores will ask consumers when they buy it if they have a proper video card to avoid dealing with unhappy consumers, like they do here when they make sure you buy Frozen Throne in french/english if you have Warcraft3 in french/english.

bazie
19th Oct 2003, 02:04
hmm.....AMD 2200, ATI mobility 64 meg shared.....dunno if its going to happen. I will have to make sure the younger bro hurry up and buys his 1337 gaming machine before it comes out

Foten
19th Oct 2003, 10:03
Do some1 think my computer will run DX:IW, its an 1,8 Ghz , 1024 Mb ram and a GeForce 3 Ti500 64 Mb (DX 9.0).
I think it will run but im not so good at this.
Oh and do some1 know how to read wht kind of ram u have whitout opening the tower?

Freddo
19th Oct 2003, 10:13
Originally posted by Foten
Do some1 think my computer will run DX:IW, its an 1,8 Ghz , 1024 Mb ram and a GeForce 3 Ti500 64 Mb (DX 9.0).
I think it will run but im not so good at this.
Oh and do some1 know how to read wht kind of ram u have whitout opening the tower? Yes, it will run. And why do you want to know what kind of memory you have? You aren't in any kind of needy position of upgrading it. Anyway, just look in your motherboard manual and see what kind of RAM it requires.

Lawnboy360
19th Oct 2003, 12:43
Or you could press the "delete" key when you boot to enter bios, and you'll probably find the front-side bus frequency somewhere. If you use DDR memory, it will be 2x FSB. If your FSB is 133mhz, your DDR is theorically 266mhz. If you use SDRAM, it's 133mhz.

SmoothDrRod
20th Oct 2003, 04:24
THank god for those system requirements.... I was thinking I would have to do a video card overhaul (geforce 4 ti 4200 heavily overclocked) to a radeon 9700 or something... which I want to do anyway... but that isn't the point. :)

imzjustplayin
20th Oct 2003, 05:19
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
IS has insisted for years now how DXIW makes use of DX8 features for gameplay and not just eye candy like some other games, and that's why a DX8 card is *absolutely* required.

Originally posted by Quillan
32 meg dx8.1 compliant video card

That doesn't exist; the first DX8 cards were the GeForce 3 and then the Radeon 8500 and they were 64mb cards.

I Disagree with Lawnboy360 and agree with Quillan since there are such things as Direct X 8 Compatible cards, since when you install DX 9 it shows which cards are what DX version they are. Yes of course there are ya twit, some of you would say but I got My ATI All in Wonder Rage 128 Pro in like '99 or beginning of 2000, and when it was released, it was clearly a DX 6 Card Right? WRONG! Yes DX 6 was out at the time but doesnt mean all the features it provides are with DX 6. DX 6 was even shipped with it but agian it doesnt mean its nessarily DX 6, when I finnally Installed DX 9, one of its nice features tells me when did my card stop needing new versions of Direct X. It says DDI Version: 8

So saying just because a card was released in a year when a certian DX version is out doesnt mean its features are limited to that. I also I have a Radeon VE (7200) Which Clearly came out after my AIW Card and I believe when DX 8.1 was out, when I installed DX 9 it says the DDI Version was "7". I was very surprised since it was a newer card but since the Radeon VE is a "Light" Card meaning that it had some features removed, Direct X Decided that it doesnt need a DX version higher than 7 since the features it has dont require a DX version higher than that. But agian, some games will require you to install a newer version anyways since the game will probably use some features in software mode instead or something of the sort.

If anyone has read any articles about the Radeon 9800 Pro, Im sure you heard about the whole DX 9 thing where it says to utilize MOST of the card's Power you will need DX 9. Also some articles said that the card is so advanced that it will need a newer Direct X Version to take full utilization of its features. Like DX 9 could use 4 rendering pipelines or something like that while the 9800 Pro could use 8 rendering pipelines. Some thing of the sort, anyways like I said, just because a card was released during a time when the software can't utilize its full potential, doesnt mean that the card's hardware is limited to that.

SkriP
20th Oct 2003, 11:38
No One Lives Forever 2 required hardware T&L (transform and lighting). If I remember well, this is a DirectX7 feature, so a TNT2 doesn't have it but a GeForce2 does. This lead to some complaining, like this online review:

Of course, people don't realize that any video card that comes with a "mainstream" PC company is already totally outdated, even if you bought it 1 week ago.

That's a fact. Even Doom3 will run on a non-DX8 card, even if its graphics are the major selling point. And like in the example above, any "casual gamer" will assume its 1 month old system with 2.6 ghz processor, 512mb of memory and a GeForce4MX will run DXIW.

But I think (some)stores will ask consumers when they buy it if they have a proper video card to avoid dealing with unhappy consumers, like they do here when they make sure you buy Frozen Throne in french/english if you have Warcraft3 in french/english.

n00bs are funny :D :rolleyes:

the prebuilt systems would probably come with a built in video card... at least thats what just about every dell did a while back... (ati rage :rolleyes: )

Freddo
20th Oct 2003, 13:25
imzjustplayin. Ion Storm have stated several times that one NEED a card with pixel shaders to play DX:IW. So, in order to play DX:IW one need a graphic card with hardware per-pixel shaders.

What Harvey Smith (http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/february03/smithbaredx2/index4.shtml) said: "GeForce 3 or higher is the only spec I know of right now. Because we use per-pixel shading and per-pixel lighting you just have to have that hardware."

Of course, one can have an old graphic card in the computer and install DirectX9. That doesn't make the graphic card any better, since it still lack of the hardware functions that the game needs.

It's true that some articles say that Radeon 9800 isn't a full DX9 card, and some other says it more than a DX9 card. Simply because they are talking about different aspects of DX9. Radeon 9800 doesn't support "Displacement mapping", a far more advanced version of "Bump mapping". Kind of. Displacement mapping is a part of DX9, but no cards on the market support it right now. So if a company made a game to require DX9 and used displacement mapping, it wouldn't run on any system. It would still be a DX9 game, tho. There aren't any fully DX9 hardware compatible graphic cards on the market. However, there are fully DX8 hardware compatible graphic cards on the market, and that's what DX:IW needs.

What we really are talking about are the required graphic card hardware requirements. In this case, pixel shaders, which was introduced with DirectX8 into Windows gaming (and the first card with pixel shaders were the Geforce3) Not about DX8 itself. Lack of necessary hardware functions will cause the player to be unable to play the game.

Quillan
20th Oct 2003, 13:50
Let's see if I can remember the progression. DX 8 used pixel shader 1.1 , at DX 8.1 it went to pixel shader 1.4 , and now DX 9 uses pixel shader 2.0 . What it requires will depend upon which version of pixel shader they use. Geforce 3 or better probably means it's 1.1 then.

DavidtheDuke
20th Oct 2003, 14:09
No laptops made for gaming eh?

http://pctorque.com/8890.php

(and no I'm not affiliated with them :) )

Lawnboy360
20th Oct 2003, 16:24
:confused:

I don't understand what you're talking about. The GF3 and the Radeon 8500 were the first cards able to use DX8's specific features (compared to DX7) and that's a fact; all cards that came out before those were at best DX7 compatible (GF2, Radeon 7500) and a DX8 cards with 32mb never existed, and that's a fact too; GF3 and Radeon 8500 had 64mb, GF4 128mb and current DX9 cards have 128 or 256mb.

EDIT: That post refers to the last post on the first page; I went to the first unread post and didn't notice the second page.

imzjustplayin
21st Oct 2003, 07:34
Originally posted by Freddo

Of course, one can have an old graphic card in the computer and install DirectX9. That doesn't make the graphic card any better, since it still lack of the hardware functions that the game needs.

When you said that of course one can have an old graphics card in the computer and install DX 9 but doesnt make it better, well the thing is that wasnt my point. I was trying to point out that since older versions of Direct X dont show what version the DX version is for the card since one, there wernt that many versions and two they just didnt show it. I was just trying to show that my Card was released with DX 6 but Microsoft says that (some) I have to assume the features on the card use DX 8 Features. The ATi AIW Rage 128 Pro how ever does not use pixel shader or Transform and lightning but since it has other features the require DX 8 and no further, therefore its a DX8 card But not FULLY Compatible. I am not saying the card was DXIW compatible I just wanna clear up some things. Like I have an ATi AIW Pro that came out in '97 and its not that bad of a card. Can Play some games now and a lot more back then, upgraded the memory to 8 megs but when installed DX9 it says its a DX5 Card since ATi I guess didnt think of adding features that DX5 couldn't take advantage of. Hey could any1 give me a website of all the features like that have been added to each Direct X version like 1,2,3 if there were any then and continue until 9. Thanks