PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Pleased?

Lechuck
17th Oct 2003, 10:00
Everyone seems to be complaining about the game. Rather than join in, I thought I'd try and be positive. So, does anyone like this game?

David
17th Oct 2003, 13:50
well sure i am! best game of 2003 ;)

gary248
18th Oct 2003, 01:22
from the demo, I think it's a good continuation of the series, liking the new interior view!

Thing 2
18th Oct 2003, 10:04
It has the ability to be enjoyable but even for me (a vet of the first 2) it's FRUSTRATING......not hard....

Well I shouldn't mouth off about the game having only played the first 2 levels...the first one wasn't bad...but the 2nd one felt like I had skipped about 5 levels and they were already throwing me on the last....

It's like they couldn't decide if they wanted an action game or a strategy so they kind of fudged the line and put a strategy GUI and control system in but made it an action-esque game anyhow....which leads to serious frustration on my part :(

I think I'll enjoy it once I get passed this incredibly hard level....which is only the 2ND LEVEL mind you.....almost makes me want to return it already (I have 3 days...) but I'm trying to have faith....

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
18th Oct 2003, 14:46
This is a good thread.........

Since I don't have the game I can't really vote, but I hope others will so I can check out the results :D

See what others really think about the game.......even with it's obvious drawbacks. Perhaps the story/gameplay will be so good that all the negative aspects will be overlooked :D

Wayd
19th Oct 2003, 07:25
Well i'm enjoying the demo. Game isn't available here yet, and i don't think it will be for a while. :(

Took me a while to get used to it, but i'm finding it fun.

I think everyone just needs to get used to it.

Is C3 available in Europe/UK yet?

Mike_B
19th Oct 2003, 09:32
Europe 24 October, I believe it was 31 October for Australia.

sand63
20th Oct 2003, 16:09
:o

Arni
20th Oct 2003, 16:22
i would say i like it if there were a coop mode but i dont want to spend money on the game until they add a coop mode in a new version or something until then i dont like it sorry

PineTree24
22nd Oct 2003, 04:18
After I got rid of my faulty disk I can say I now love this game greatly....

-PT24

DuxSumus
24th Oct 2003, 03:29
I finished the game in about 12 hours. Like Commandos 2, it was a little too easy (though harder than Commandos 2 at least). But, this isn't really a problem. Difficulty was still fine in my opinion.

The real problem with this version of the game is that it improves nothing in the form of gameplay from Commandos 2. A lot of the same bugs and problems still exist. For example, you can still start tieing someone up and then pick them up right away... before you finished the tieing. Also, how is it that Nazi soldiers can't see you crawling in their dark green sight range but they can see a pack of cigarettes?

Commandos 3 is even worse than Commandos 2 in some respects. The Diver gets 1 lousy mission. You never use half of the stuff mentioned in the manual. No missions detecting mines, no using the rope ladder, no using the harpoon gun, almost none of the vehicles actually work, etc. Throughout the series things have gotten less and less specialized. Yet, it isn't consistent. Everyone can throw grenades but only the Sapper knows how to throw a gas grenade? Why? Also, why did Pyro ditch the mantrap.... that was a very handy, unique, and strategic device. Lastly, WHY DID THEY GET RID OF THE DRIVER... he was the man!????

All in all, it is still a great game... I mean it is Commandos after all. But, it seems unfinished. Pyro Studios was probably rushed to finish the game and didn't complete it entirely. This would explain the stuff in the manual that didn't appear in the game.

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines was by far the most thought-provoking and BEST game of the series. I wish Pyro would make a new Commandos that was very much like the original but with upgraded graphics and sound. That would be amazing. And, they need to bring back Sid (for those non-veterans... the Driver)

sick
24th Oct 2003, 08:09
maybe they release a expansion with the 12 missions that have been taken out... (and some more mission PLEASE!) for a nice price of 30 bucks. then you wont hear me complaining about C3 anymore, then it will be the best in the series:cool:

Achtung
25th Oct 2003, 00:33
Hi folks

I'll never forget when i came across Commandos BEL back then and even though my quicksave/load function did not work, i just started the whole map all over again even if it would take my an hour to get to the point where i was before the mistake. Thats how thrilled i was.

Then time goes and out came Commandos MOC and i was over the hill, i think its the greatest game ever even though its got a few bugs as Duxsumus was writing, but the grafics and the details is so breathtaking and trilling its easily overlooked by far.

Since then, i've been looking forward to the release of Commandos 3 but i knew that for me its was going to be up against perfection. And now that i have played to demo i can say im disappointed, extremely disappointed. Even though i knew i had to settle for less, i just can't believe how things could go so terribly terribly wrong.

Everything is wrong and then Gonzo says that " C3 is meant to be the final Commandos and therefore it became the best of them all".

Its all wrong.

Jediplay
25th Oct 2003, 07:53
This is a quite nice game, comparing to average. However, I am starting to wounder why there were so many significant defect in the game. I mean that it should be very instinctive to have the hotkeys, more flexible view to avoid obscuration, more fine-tuning video performance. Maybe the testplayers were too nice to point out the defects if they ever tried to enjoy the game.

I have a strange feeling that the game-designer was purposely tried to make me unsatisfied. I hope Natasha is included in the EXPANSION pack. :confused:

Achtung
25th Oct 2003, 10:58
still that its unbeileve how someone that created something that big as the previous Commandos can go and acknowledge something that disgusting as Commandos 3.

The keys are wrong, the timed missions are wrong, the voices are wrong, the resolution is wrong, the backpack is wrong compared to the perfect and simple way of handling your tools in C2 (why change that?) and the bugs is way too many.

How on earth is it possible for something so unique can be turned in to something so commercial, shame on you Mr. Suárez, shame on you.

And Pyro, you failed this one.

Mike_B
25th Oct 2003, 11:50
Originally posted by Achtung
shame on you Mr. Suárez, shame on you.

Gonzo and Jon together with some other people left Pyro after C2 was ported to console, and founded a new company.

DuxSumus
25th Oct 2003, 17:03
I hope Natasha is included in the EXPANSION pack.

I think Natasha was stupid. Not as stupid as the dog, but pretty stupid. Why would you have a second spy that doubles as a sniper? That is just way to easy. The last mission, "Is Paris Burning," is insanely easy because you get 2 spies. That is almost a crime. You can do anything with 2 spies. Any obstacle that you might come across you could just distract. Spooky is much cooler as a spy adn Duke is much cooler as a sniper. Natasha was unnecessary.

But, Tread was really cool. It is very, very unfortante that they took him out.... a character who has been in the game since the original commandos. Instead, they kept the damn thief. Now, the thief is cool and is a good idea (unlike Natasha and the completely stupid dog), but the thief isn't cool enough to replace the driver.

In short, Commandos 3 is the worst of the series. They had better make a new one to make up for this fiasco.

Pyro: Just make Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines again with some new missions and updated graphics. That would be awesome!

Rick
25th Oct 2003, 21:42
I remember when I first got BEL too. Now that game rocked. And the expansion pack rocked. 20 DAMN MISISONS! And there were no vets at that time, as we were all new at it, so no matter what anyone says now, it was challenging.

Then 2 comes out, and I was like... WTF?? I don't play all day, but even if I did, you shouldn't be able to win in a week. Does anyone play Jagged Alliance? Fer chrissakes, that game, especially the first time through, take a damn month playing four or more hours a day! I haven't even had Commandos 3 a week and I can already do every friggin' mission without even reloading and I've written a walkthrough and posted it for every single mission. I love the series, and I still liked C3, but it's not long enough or hard enough.

And everything everyone says about stuff being missing or never used is dead on. It's like all this stuff is included just for multi-player. Well, you know what.... that kind of screws those of us who don't use it! Yuck. It was also disappointing to have NO ENDINGS! No storyline or background! Phooey!

Twitch
25th Oct 2003, 22:59
Now I have found 3 more bugs. Not serious- In Berlin pooky put on black SS Sgt. uniform and looks like regulat blue one.
Serious- The traitor never exits the cars whether I bomb it or wait for him to get out. The mission ends in failure every time having done about 8 different ways at the end.

Now the little orange cone to show you are in auto-cover mode has gone away from all commandos in all games with all weapons. BTW commandos ranges are not only 1/4th that they were in C2 on very hard but atuo coverage is narrower as well. This bag of barf is going to sit on my shelf and gather dust. And yes, DuxSumus , Rick and Achtung I hate everything you do and more.

Achtung
26th Oct 2003, 00:27
Originally posted by @m
Gonzo and Jon together with some other people left Pyro after C2 was ported to console, and founded a new company.

Sorry...my mistake

Originally posted by Rick Then 2 comes out, and I was like... WTF?? I don't play all day, but even if I did, you shouldn't be able to win in a week.

Im not the one sitting and playing games every day either in fact its quite rare that i sit for several hours and play and therefore i have not completed C2 untill now and have been looking forward to the C3 to be its substitute but oh no not anymore.

Now im going to start C2 all over again and perhaps i just might wipe all the dust of them old Commandos-games and recapture the story that ended 2003.

Barrakuda
26th Oct 2003, 02:21
WoW this is a Huge Disapointment! Very Very Short game :\
I think the demo is longer then the full version!

bart123
26th Oct 2003, 10:22
well I sure do like the game, although it was expensive...and all the weapon selection code's are gone that is what I miss most,
but i think the game has improved much and gotten more realistic.

Williamsii
27th Oct 2003, 00:29
All time dissapointment 2003 !!

Commandos 1 was a revolution in gaming, it was absolutely great.
Commandos 2 was even better !! Huge levels and toughness adjustabillity (very hard).
3 Was looking good when I started to play; Great gameplay, nice graphics etc etc. But for the heavy system requirements I expected a LOT more !!
More levels !
More difficult !!
More game !!!

Even the add-on behind enemy lines was more fun !!

Cosmo
27th Oct 2003, 13:01
seemed a bit short :(

It is a "nice" game .... maybe set my expectations too high after playing the others :confused:

The~Diver
27th Oct 2003, 20:46
Ive only got the demo but I ordered the full game staright away because it was so good.

The only problem is I cant do the train level.

Rumint
27th Oct 2003, 22:49
I like it, but 9 missions only? :( Guess BEL's spoiled us. Inside views is neat. Being able to use the wheel on the mouse to rotate view is good. Just need more missions. Finished the entire thing in 2 days. Bummer. But good overall. Just have to wait and see if they come out with an expansion pack. Kinda do miss Driver though. Natasha too. :p

Barrakuda
28th Oct 2003, 05:53
The game is WAY too short still! but is it me or the Diver Character is only used once in the one? and the levels are way too short...whats with that mine detector? has anyone even used it in any level?

Kinda PO'ed this game is a dissapointment, i still think C2 was best Ever!

Foxtrot
28th Oct 2003, 12:17
Extraordinary game! Excellent job congratiulations 4 the Eidos team that make the game! Is ... i don't have the words to say IT SO BAD it has nothing nothing a little difficult but only in terms of the game interface same engine like C2? yeah but with more bugs, much more. Hey Eidos Team nice job with those entry movies, there was nothing in the archives to put on for an opening movie, and between the campaings????? yeah the 12 mission, i belive they couldn't even sleep that much they work 2 make the game longer and how said that we needed a connection between the mision! who came along with the idee of CAMPAIGN campaign=3 mission? that lame especially 4 a company like eidos. The price way way bigger than the quality. I'm bored 2 kill nazy, where are the japs, where are the sand of Africa, the vehicles: where are the tanks, where are the cars that work ooo no it's much easy 2 drow a tank than 2 makeit work, ain't it so Team. Why didn't u say that Gonzo and the others left the company, i would have save the money spent on C3 for a console and expect the're release. Tanks guys, my support 4 the others that are equally 2 me dissapointed! We got screwd!!

Forgot somethin!
Commandos Team even the important men left, i dont think u're not able to make an addon for Commandos 2, u have the game, don't change it make 20 or more maps, make them good, difficult and after that, retire.... u guys are 2 old and..... anything my other dissapointed mate would say. Thank u

Were are the regular soldiers 2 comand?
The bonus missions?
Why did u make the marine and the driver one and the same?? Convinient isn't it?
How about the score that ranking after the C2 missions? Now what makes the difference between someguy that make the mission in complete stealth and a lame that goes straight 2 the point????

ome one said that the things from the manual work in multiplayer. WTF i DON"T want 2 play multi i want 2 stay at home relax and enjoy the singleplayer that's wath the game is all about if i want multiplayer i play warcraft or counterstrike or anything else! THIS WAS A GAME 4 SINGLEPLAYER! multiplayer 4 fun only

By the way! Are there any dogs in the game? dont think so (yet)
I heard from my grandfather that the nazy's used dogs was it so???

Someone here got a problem with cigarets and bottles of wine. what the problem mate if u would see a Commandos box on the ground in front of you, you wouldn't pick it up?? It may be borring 4 u but it would be real. Take a short nap buddy.

~edit~

Wow, take it easy, 6 posts in a row? Next time use the edit button instead or I'll just delete all your replies instead of pasting them into this one. Secondly do something about the swearing, and it never hurts to be friendly...

Akuma2
28th Oct 2003, 13:22
Poor show Pyro. After C1&C2 I expected a lot better. Seems like it's only 2 thirds complete.

Maybe we could get some custom hotkey configuration going for the patch? ..Double the current number of missions would't hurt either, considering the price :/

ez rider
28th Oct 2003, 23:15
i'm amazed about the posts here :rolleyes:
pro's and cons .... so what?
it looks like you're not welcome here on this board if you are disappointed with Eidos' performance
let me add to the disappointment
i played BEL, BCOD and C2 inside and outside but i played BEL the most (even wrote some walkthroughs for the Dropzone)
BEL had fabulous gameplay and replay-value!! and 20 (!!) missions .... just great ..... it has kept me busy for months on end it was new i admit and exciting ... glued to my chair figuring out working strategy and tactics
i wasn't disappointed back then, no way .... the best game ever
then came BCOD .... and it took Eidos soooo long to come out with just 6 missions!! (or was it 8 .... ?)
gameplay was much less despite some new features
C2 same thing except for the alarmed patrol squads .. they come out of their baracks make a tour and go back as if nothing has happened ...... too easy .... plus in indoors 3D thing i found it rather boring and didn't add at all to the strategic character of the game imo
i understand that it is not Eidos that made the game, so actually i'm more disappointed with Pyro
they certainly havent managed to come even close to BEL's gameplay
apparently Pyro spent all their energy on just a few and not always very useful new features and forgot about the gameplay

sorry to say but i haven't bought C3, much to my own surprise, i didn't even look for the game in the store since its release
i played the C3 demo and there was nothing new to show for
gameplay was very bad ..... you can now shoot in the air and the enemy prefers to look the other way but a german squad in a armored wagon comes running to investigate !!
and then i read of all the technical bugs and problems .....
so i will wait a while till Eidos has sorted out all the technical flaws
by that time i bet i'll find C3 in the store's dustbin for €5,- :D

Twitch
29th Oct 2003, 00:04
ez rider- as you can see the vast majority have huge problems with the game. Only a couple dudes are for the thing and don't want to hear anyone bad mouth it for some strange reason. Let's find out why their discs seemingly have no bugs and clone them. :D Save your money on buying it until perhaps it gets fixed- a long shot but maybe.

Foxtrot
29th Oct 2003, 10:52
Sorry @m, first-timer on the eidos forum, but as anyone can see i'm very pissed off with this new release.

What use to make an addon, as they said this is ment to be the end for the Commandos, well it looks like it really the end with this poor excuse for a game they released.
It's better this way, they should make an announcement with some excuses and let it be. It's bad because it was a series with lot, no immense market potential, that could have been exploited to at least a 5 or 6 th game, if they would ask the players for support for the story line and for some new, interesting stuff. Maybe Pyro and Eidos should sell the title to someone more professional, interested in making a proffit. This game should have at least 3 others to complete the series, like Heroes, Warcraft or others that proved proffitable. Not to say that Commandos was the only games of this genre in the market for the last 3-4 years, except for that Desperados, it has an unattacked position, for now. Maybe that's the problem, if there was some kind of competition then it would have been something else.

If this is the end, well, this is an TRAGIC end.

lelephant51
30th Oct 2003, 10:36
good game , but there isn't any cinematics :( !!!!!

CurtX
30th Oct 2003, 18:52
Here is a summary of my disappointments that I posted at Gamespot's forum. Most of these have already been acknowledged:

The game has been downsized in a major way and has absolutely nothing new to offer. It feels like Pyro just took some pieces from C2 to quickly piece together an overly condensed Commandos game to make a quick buck. The respect I gained for Pyro from C2 has been lost with C3. I really could not recommend this game, not even to hardcore Commandos fans.

Specifically, here are my major gripes:

Not enough commandos, and the diver only makes a guest appearance.
Too many empty rooms & buildings. Pyro obviously spent some time detailing the graphics for the interiors, but they didn't give us any reason or motive to go into most of the interiors. Which leads to my next gripe.
Not enough equipment and no new equipment.
Most vehicles are not drivable, unlike C2 where most were drivable.
The large size of the missions like those in C2 have been divided into much smaller missions, making for a much shorter game.
The 3D models of the commandos shown in interiors really are horrible.
Nothing interesting to see after completing a mission, all you get is a "mission completed" screen.
The game now feels too much like an older game Desperados, which I always considered as a "poor man's Commandos" game. It lacked variety and was too limited in what you can do in it.

David
30th Oct 2003, 20:41
i kind of agree with you. there is nothing to find in the buildings. i guess pyro jut lacked some creativity to find out uses for interior!

pacdiver
31st Oct 2003, 23:33
Yes. So far, I like it. The graphics are good. I'll agree that the missions can be a bit frustrating. I've breezed through all of the previous games, on all levels.

Seems like the designers can't make up thier minds on the interface. I liked having hot keys for weapons. I like some of the new weapons though. I have a few suggestions for improvement.

Right now I'm stuck on "Ambush the Convoy". I've eliminated all of the enemy but I can't get the rest of my men out of the truck.
Can anyone help me?

MajorHealy
1st Nov 2003, 04:53
> Right now I'm stuck on "Ambush the Convoy". I've eliminated all of the enemy but I can't get the rest of my men out of the truck.
Can anyone help me?

I had the same problem because I disabled one of the armored vehicles with a tankl mine. I had to go back and destroy it with a grenade before it let me end the level.

Rant:

I can't remember how many days it took each to finish C1/BTCOD/C2, but it was a lot more than the three days I spent on C3. I agree with all of the posts complaining about map sizes - holy crap they're small!!!

How many strings of barbed wire or wire fencing could you *not* cut with wire cutters in C2? I can't remember any off the top of my head --- yet C3 is riddled with them in the last two Normandy missions (inasmuch as such a tiny map can be "riddled"). Also, how many unoccupied vehicles could you not drive in C2?

Even worse --- I have soldiers in the Berlin sewers that can see through my spy's disguise. They are dressed as normal soldiers, and their caption says "SOLDIER" when I mouse-pver 'em, but they recognize me as an officer would. If you're going to have some smarter-than-average soldiers on the playing field, give me some sort of indication ... otherwise, the game degenerates into a routine of 1) walk into a soldiers line-of-sight dressed as an officer and 2) restore your last save game when he shoots you in the mug. At least with officers/SS you know to avoid them with the spy.

WHERE ARE MY HOTKEYS????

And for the ONLY mission in the game that included the Diver (and a measly ten-minute-mission to boot), how many of you killed someone with a knife, retrieved the knife, then quickly tried to throw the knife again, only to find that you're now throwing a grenade? So to kill 2 enemies very quickly, I ended up throwing the knife, grabbing it again, then hitting "Q" a few times to re-select the knife. NOT efficient.

Maybe I shouldn't be trying to throw the knife so quickly? After all, this is a stealth-strategy game.

Oh, wait, no it isn't!!!!!!!! What's up with the timed levels? When the timer popped up in Tiny's train mission, I was very disappointed. Had to search the forums to get a clue on what to do. So it's now a strategy-action game ... but they removed all your weapon hotkeys with the exception of a "cycle-through" hotkey which is just too clunky.

The graphics are spectacular --- nice job with the polished/reflective floors in the Berlin level, much nicer interiors. But I'd rather have paid for a C2 engine with new missions that were closer to the old-style gameplay.

And if they never provide more levels for free online, which I doubt they will, I'll really feel robbed. At least let us make Mods using the existing graphics/levels ... make me feel like I'm getting *something* for my money...

KaharTheMad
3rd Nov 2003, 01:38
I would have to say no. What was one of my most anticipated games series ever turned out to be the worst 50.00 I ever spent.

800X600????
Good god man! My kids Scooby doo Game runs in 1024X768!

Mission Size????

Please I spent have my time trying to find where the hell the rest of the map went...thought it was something wrong with my copy.

dont get me started on the bugs I found.

If this was a social experiment to see how well you can get a trained monkey to write a program it failed.

If this was a experiment to see how well you could shaft your customers you made it.

I would like to see four things from you people:

1. a patch to fix the bugs

2. a mappack for single player that will add more to the maps or atleast more.

3. removal of time limit restrictions

4. a formal apology

I dont think me and the rest of the people out there are asking much. Come to think of it I dont recall a sysop or a lead from edios on here in my readings. Correct me please if I am wrong on this statement. If I am right on this, what are you waiting on? Or are you afraid to take responsibility for your actions? Or are you afraid of a accounting?

Maybe it is that the aforementioned trained primate cant write?

TheFlyingBear
4th Nov 2003, 10:42
Some of the posts here made me laugh tremendously. I'm glad to see I'm not hallucinating... I haven't played C1 or C2 so I don't know what I'm missing but apparently game play isn't supposed to be the way I've experienced.

There is a lot I like about the game but much needs to change. BTW, when/if they come out with that patch, they should offer customer a free copy of C2 or some other game. That way I can get C2! :) In fact, C2 would be good now. I could play it until all the kinks are worked out of C3.

-T

ADG
4th Nov 2003, 20:17
I've only finished one mission so far, and I'm already annoyed...

The controls are just plain weird... I'm pretty sure it was a very drunk guy who chose those controls

The controls in C2 was bad, but these are even worse...

...don't know about the controls in C1... never played it...

...and as far as I can see, the story is more or less the same as in earlier Commandos games, which is pretty boring... And a boring story, with drunk controls, and nothing special to add to gameplay... I really doubt I'll ever finish the game
I don't see why everybody's that happy about the graphics, they're nothing special (Only the 3D feature inside buildings is special)... and I just finished Com2 2 days ago...

*ADG goes looking for my Desperados CD, and starts re-installing it, so I can finish for the n'th time

ADG
4th Nov 2003, 20:36
Originally posted by CurtX

The game now feels too much like an older game Desperados, which I always considered as a "poor man's Commandos" game. It lacked variety and was too limited in what you can do in it.

Funny, I feel just the opposite... Desperados had MUCH more varity than Com2

I would NEVER reinstall Com2, and probably never finish Com3, while I've already played Desperados several times...

I still wonder why people say Com3 was much easier than Com2... sounds kinda strange, since Com2 was too easy already...

TheFlyingBear
4th Nov 2003, 23:45
they're nothing special (Only the 3D feature inside buildings is special)... and I just finished Com2 2 days ago...

The stuff inside is what I like too. The outside is a little confusing in that way it rotates, etc. It would be nice if the whole virtual world could behave similarly but I'm sure there's reasons why it's not that way.

Thanks for the info!

-T

excalibur
9th Nov 2003, 20:54
i love c3, but it is definitly too short, overall c2 was better, eventhough c3 brings some nice improvements.
as far the free extra maps, we only can hope,
i think the company that made max payne 2 did release 2 extra free map to download, after their custumers complained about the length of the game,
so we never know

Acterra
11th Nov 2003, 03:29
Not pleased. Most expensive coasters I ever bought. I spent like I was buying a full game and it plays like an expansion pack...or worse, a demo.
Also:
1) Get innovative if you want to challenge the player. Making my weapon range 3/4 that of the computer enemy is just lazy. Worse, it takes away from the realism. German riflemen have more range than an MG42 for Pete's sake.
2) What vehicles? Two in the entire game, and one of those an AT gun? Should have left them out and added another mission or two.
3) Don't hire Jerry Garcia to set up the cameras anymore. 'Nuff said.
4) The camera views are bad enough, but why can't any of these commandos go through a door with his weapon at the ready? Nope, I have to quickly sort out where I am on tha map, hunt for the weapon key, and then pray I'm not dead by the time he pulls his weapon out.
5) Somebody tell me what was on those 3 CD's. It certainly wasn't missions. After about 20 hours af gameplay, I have no reason to play this anymore. It's a shame, because it has it's high points.

CurtX
11th Nov 2003, 23:32
Originally posted by Acterra
1) Get innovative if you want to challenge the player. Making my weapon range 3/4 that of the computer enemy is just lazy. Worse, it takes away from the realism. German riflemen have more range than an MG42 for Pete's sake.

3/4 the range? Hell, try 1/4 at best. I've been shot by a nazi from clear across an entire map before, and it wasn't even a sniper. On the otherhand, I've had countless times with nazis directly in front of my commandos, and my commandos had a difficult time shooting at them.

To put it in perspective, it's REALLY bad when the commandos can throw a pack of cigarettes farther than they can shoot a gun.

TheFlyingBear
12th Nov 2003, 00:47
Originally posted by CurtX
.... To put it in perspective, it's REALLY bad when the commandos can throw a pack of cigarettes farther than they can shoot a gun.

I think the worst has to be the weapon selection/use when entering into a room. At first I thought there must be a way to enter and shoot/use whatever weapon I select before taking action but I cannot seem to find a way, and given other responses I think I'm not off in saying it doesn't exist beyond selecting something ASAP once you walk in.

One method I tried in my initial attempts with the game was to use Armed mode. I'd set all men to Armed mode. Sometimes when going down a hall and a guy appears, it works. Often, though, and this is the funny one, if I enter a room with, one of those tough worker dudes in plain clothes, and I have 4 guys in Armed mode, and they are all pointing toward the worker dude, the worker dude just approachs and starts smacking the heck out of my men and none of them are firing.

So not only do I not see a fast way (beyond a fast click/select of the weapon *after* entering... a real pain) to just use a weapon previously selected, but the one method that kind of works, where all men are supposed to be on guard, fails in the most miserable way.

I think this has to be one of the weakest points of the game. It's that kind of tedium that makes no sense. It's like one is saying, "Hey, let's make this as realistic as possible. When a man walks in a room, he has to choose to use a weapon, so let's make our human players do that."

Well, that logic doesn't really hold up because, first, if a man enters a room, he most likely has a weapon in hand if he's on guard/concerned. Second, even if it were realistic that he'd have to "reach for it," I'd say it's one of those points that should be left out if it's not a game to test those reflexes. That's beacuse if you're not going to stop there (at making him (you) reach for the weapon), you might as well make him (us) turn the door knob by rotating the mouse wheel over the handle, and then you need to make us drag the mouse to swing and/or kick the door open, etc.

You see, it's already not real. It's pixels on a screen with elaborate engines in the background. So, to me, and this is the interesting thing one can derive from much of the feedback here, it seems that the choice between what to make a user do/not do is very much an art that must take into account the users, the genre, simple wisdom as to what one will think users will enjoy, and most likely many other factors.

This all assumes the above mentioned items are not bugs but by design. Either way, I think they're flaws >> IMHO <<.

There's another similar situation I'll mention: With the spy, you can get a soldier to walk far away from his/her post. You must engage distract, then disengage while he's either still where you told him to go or proceeding there, then you walk toward him and re-engage distract. The whole process of doing this is not unreasonable but the UI makes it hell and it becomes more about being "tricky" and "slick" with a weak UI than it does about simply commanding the thing. A user should not (in IMHO) have to do hurtles to prove he/she can produce an impossible sequence of right/left points/clicks. It should be as easy as possible to do X, and then allow the user to do X, Y, Z as fast as possible, if necessary, where X, Y, Z are easily accomplished tasks in the virtual world. Right now, when I do the spy thing, it's about right/left clicking on the icons and it's about some luck that I don't get out of synch with the UI's status of where I'm at... sometimes I end up inadvertently taking off the Spy's uniform because I've either clicked wrong or too fast and the error seems avoidable if I could simply have hot keys or a better UI.

As a side note: Now that I've gotten used to these quirks, the game's become a little more fun, though it's still extremely frustrating when the "spy" thing happens, or 5 guys with guns get their axx kicked by one punching worker. I'm pretty good at clicking fast and playing UI intesive games so the fact that those issues still come up after several missions is incredibly frustrating. It's like I really want to play, I want the game to work, and those things happen, and I can take three or four quick loads, but then I've got to walk away because i'm burnt from what I feel is unfair difficulty - difficulty that makes no sense where i'm saying, "I have 20 machine guns and I walk in and the guy punches me, etc.

Twitch
12th Nov 2003, 19:07
Wahaha! It just never ends. Everything you guys have mentioned are salient points all of which will probably not be addressed in any patch that may come out. Bet on it.

If you have C2 just look at the pistol range in Very Hard. Now look at C3. It is 1/4th that of Very Hard C2. And the width of coverage is much narrower too. Hell the pistol in C2 can fire farther than any long gun in C3!

In this auto cover thing -say you have been in auto cover with a pistol and then open up the cumbersome UI to click on the knife and the teensy oragne auto cover cone disappears. Now you think you're going to slash the goon when you walk up to him. Wrong. You commando whips out the pistol and blasts the chump alerting everyone. BTW- before I quit playing this hack my auto cover disappeared on all weapons on all commandos.

The whole graphics topic is subjective to what you like. I don't care that 800x600 is all there is but choices is what everything in life is about and this retros too much for most folks. It's danged near 2004 not 1994. I find the excess of snow and the large scale of the snow flakes bothersome. Looks like you're in a big Nazi snowball fight.

I had a problem is with the interiors. When you enter the interior it's off center and partially off the screen. The mouse inside or out is lazy and it is hard to move left, right up down. Even rotating the axis with the mouse wheel produces drunken shifts and wobbling. And contrary to C2 when you do enter most interiors there is nothing there. Like in Berlin there's a bunch of rooms with goons goofing off and nothing in them anyway. So what's the point? It's as if they included them just to trick you into thinking it was as cool as Colditz in C2.

The whole problem with mechanics killing guys with 4 punches is silly. Like you said it may not be a bug but it is a flaw. And attempting to punch or shoot someone attacking you produces the C3 Tango where your commando just repeats the same dance motion and nothing happens as you repeated bang on the control till the unarmed grease monkey quickly punches you to death.

Sure theres vehicles! You can jump on a motorcycle and go "varoom, varoom" to pretend you're Erich Kneviel- Germany's most daring stunt cyclist.

I defy anyone to make a series of or just one action in C2 that is slower and doesn't require taking eyes off screen action as C3 is. Anyone that says the icon group click-a-thon is better/faster than hotkeys is simply lying. Have Tiny select the pistol, go to auto cover and then take his knife and go through a door and slash a goon. That series of moves can't be accomplished in C3 anyway near as quick and smooth as C2. With the hot key one can hover the finger over the key and depress it without looking and, if you played enough, by touch entirely. Problem with the icons is that if you picked up a weapon since you used your knife pistol or assault rifle etc., last the weapon you want has migrated location in the icon group so you must visuall re-acquire it before clicking. You can't do it with peripheral vision cause it ain't on the left no more it's now on the right!

Speaking of the assault rifle- what a waste. It doesn't even kill with on shot! Better to use pistol with unlimited ammo.

I'm at the point now where I think this debacle is hugely funny- except for the fact that folks lost their $$.

TheFlyingBear
13th Nov 2003, 02:32
Originally posted by Twitch
... dance motion and nothing happens as you repeated bang on the control till the unarmed grease monkey quickly punches you to death. ...

That's the one. A very odd experience for me. It seems like a blatant oversight... how could QA miss that? 4 pals armed watch their bud get sacked with fists? I find it hard to believe no one saw that so it leaves me thinking time and/or money was running out. Perhaps QA are the devs... if so, perhaps this is a call for more variety at the QA stage coupled with at least a few C newbies.

Sure theres vehicles! You can jump on a motorcycle and go "varoom, varoom" to pretend you're Erich Kneviel- Germany's most daring stunt cyclist.

I found that odd too. Tons of vehicles that you can get on/in but they don't do anything. At the very least, have some guy come out, irrate, "Erhalten Sie weg von meinem Auto!" (translated online from "Get off of my car" so pls excuse if bad xlat!) Though, if they did that, would I posting here that they escaped elaboration with a cheap "angry man" each time I get into an inoperable vehicle? :D (It is odd, though, that you can get on them... that the feature exists to do so, but it's not clear what that buys on a motorbike for example.)

I defy anyone to make a series of or just one action in C2 that is slower and doesn't require taking eyes off screen action as C3 is. Anyone that says the icon group click-a-thon is better/faster than hotkeys is simply lying. .... you must visuall re-acquire it before clicking.

Yes... hotkeys hotkeys hotkeys. With the right hotkeys, hopefully configurable ala AoM or others, one can remain focused on the screen, in action, and proceed in a door with fingers on the keyboard, looking at the screen, and click-drag, press, etc.

TheFlyingBear
13th Nov 2003, 02:42
In additon to some of the other stuff mentioned in other posts, there are several more details I noticed that I liked:

- When using the decoy, it's very cool the way the guy gets a little lightening bolt above his head. He investigates and then gets a question mark. This is a really nice touch. It's somewhat funny/entertaining yet it conveys what's going on visually in a way that's clear to me. I like details like these.

- When outside, and guards are patrolling, I like the detail when they stop, smoke, look around, and put out the cigarette. Nice touch. It has a feel like those authentic WWII movies and you get the feeling folks are really guarding.

- The vision stuff of green/red, etc., if very well done. It add a very nice touch to the game because you *can* sneak up behind someone, etc. Also, if you go fast, you can get busted, but it also depends on the characteristics of the situation. High ranking officials seem to be detect things more quickly (or it seems to vary in a way that's realistic - it's an unpredictability that can be avoided if you're careful, but, if you're not, you're on your own). This is well done.

One feature I would add relating to this: A hotkey (or dreaded icon) to allow one to see all vision information for all soldiers in the current view. It would allow you to see the sweeping motion of all of them at once, and, what you get from that, is what places are not covered. This beats having to click each and every soldier several times. Once again, this last thing, while squeezing past as acceptable, is tedium that's not require. Sure, provide the ability to see a single soldier as you do now, but also offer "all present" soldiers. For example, CTRL-ALT-TAB or whatever.

I haven't gone through all of the missions yet, but I haven't seen any dogs yet. Didn't they use search dogs?? Maybe not in WWII, not sure. If they did, it would be a nice touch in some cases.

That's it for now.

CurtX
13th Nov 2003, 04:39

I had a problem is with the interiors. When you enter the interior it's off center and partially off the screen. The mouse inside or out is lazy and it is hard to move left, right up down. Even rotating the axis with the mouse wheel produces drunken shifts and wobbling. And contrary to C2 when you do enter most interiors there is nothing there. Like in Berlin there's a bunch of rooms with goons goofing off and nothing in them anyway. So what's the point? It's as if they included them just to trick you into thinking it was as cool as Colditz in C2.

I completely agree. Out of all the things I am disappointed with, the interiors is probably the biggest. Yes, they are decorated very nice. Who cares?! Most of the interiors had nothing to interact with. In C2, going into the interiors was one of the best things to do in the game. And they also controlled much better. I recall even being able to tilt the rooms to adjust your angle of view. That's yet another feature that was dropped with C3.

Twitch
13th Nov 2003, 16:20
The dumb icon stuff is simply the set up for X-box type games that have no keyboards. So they figured they'd cut corners and hose the PC people.

Yes the AI movements of the soldiers smoking and talking is still in the game but is no better or worse than C2. And the auto cover does allow an enemy to die form 1 rounds of each .45. WHen you had 4 guys covering an area and the hapless goon walked by you still had to pump out 12 rounds to kill him in C2. I'd rather have the coverage and range as a trade off though.

We can all understand the time and money constarints on product debut but this one was simply unfinished and not thoroughly tested. Wouldn't you think that someone at the publisher would have had enough interest or curiousity to fire up the final version while the CD replicator got the master for production after waiting for the thing for so long? If anyone did they most certainly would have noticed the flaws and bugs.

Most likely, if they did, the conscious decision was made to go ahead anyway. That's the sad part. There was a meeting to discuss it and they figured they'd release it and perhaps fix some of it later after bearing the brunt of complaints. That's the way collective corporate consciences work.

TheFlyingBear
13th Nov 2003, 21:24
The dumb icon stuff is simply the set up for X-box type games that have no keyboards. So they figured they'd cut corners and hose the PC people.

That's an interesting point. I hadn't thought of the X-box stuff and whatnot. I'm wondering if they're using some sort of cross-platform development technologies to lower the costs of porting the game such that improving some of the items we've discussed would create a "PC difference" thus making more work for them. That's a horrible thought. I'd hate to think games would lower in quality simply because coding has to take place at the lowest-common-denominator. Does anyone know the dev tools they use?

Yes the AI movements of the soldiers smoking and talking is still in the game but is no better or worse than C2.

Yes, I'm a newbie at C3... never played C2 beyond a few minutes once so what I'm seeing is what you've come to expect.

Side note: I think the character I commented on above (the alarm to the decoy, thinking, smoking, etc.) are results of normal 2-D bitmaps as you'd see in original C&C, for example. Despite the older technology, their use adds great character to those outdoor scenes. I think a game has to have both - the character and the tech... just the tech is lame, and for those wanting high-tech, just a lot of insightful character through text leaves one asking why not just read a book. So I think great video games have the "right" mix of both.

MajorHealy
15th Nov 2003, 09:06
Originally posted by TheFlyingBear
I'd hate to think games would lower in quality simply because coding has to take place at the lowest-common-denominator.

They did an XBox release for C2. The platforms are amazingly similar, as XBox is essentially a PC wrapped in a console, with a programming interface not entirely unlike Windows.

Maybe they had trouble removing the key bindings from the PC version when they ported to XBox for C2, and figured they'd strip down the key interface C3 to alleviate further woes if they decided to port it. Or, more likely, perhaps they've planned on making an XBox version all along and wanted the interfaces to be as similar as possible...just speculation. Either way, it definitely makes the PC version's interface less robust.

Mike_B
15th Nov 2003, 10:40
TAFN - Will Commandos 3 be developed for any console, such as the PS2 or the Xbox?

Ignacio - We do not have any plans to have Commandos 3 developed for any consoles although we are working on games for this platforms which we will announce in a few months but not Commandos 3.

Hope this clears it up. Don't know why they decided to have those controls but it's not because of console.

willb14u
15th Nov 2003, 21:05
Do not like all the timed sections in this one. Too much time restarting trying to figure out where to go and what to do doesn't make the game enjoyable for me. Spend an hour doing something to find out I have to restart because I went the wrong way!!

Start a character in motion and then have a preprogrammed sequence pop in and take over the whole screen and you now have no control.

m_badr
17th Nov 2003, 20:54
One of the things that really disappointed me most about the game was the fact that the diver was put in the game out of sympathy. He's only there for one lousy mission, and not even a hard one!! I finished it in 15 minutes..Plus, I don't like the idea of missions where ur simply supposed to kill everyone. I remember the first game of the series. They gave us REAL missions requiring real strategy, but these new missions are a joke.

Twitch
18th Nov 2003, 15:50
Wanna hear something even funnier? I'm writing a review for an online magazine and need a few screen shots. OK I had uninstalled this puppy I was so disqusted with it. Yes I edited the regisrty and the whole 9 yards. Figured I'd see if after all the previous times of problematic install attempts I had might be smoother. One last chance to hate this thing less.

Well I ran install and got past the 1st to 2nd disc hang up where people had problems B4 and had to go into hiden temp folders to delete them and begin again. Yea! Then the 2nd disc took 20 minutes to copy. The CD drive would spin for a split second and quit. I just sat there glaring at the screen determined to just let the thing run its course as it put data down 1/2% at a hit.

Finally done and there's no com3.exe file to be found on the HD!! I tried to drag it to desktop from disc 3 but upon clicking it a message came up stalking about some missing .dll. I uninstalled/reinstalled twice more with the same results- no .EXE file installed to run the thing!

A friend of mine who is pretty computer lame said most people couldn't find hidden files or be able to edit registries anyway. They'd just take it back to the store. It brings back those nostalgic times of DOS when to run certain games one had to reconfigure conventional, extended, and expanded memory with load high and all that comp-u-geek stuff that I was adept at but was a hassle.

All else considered- zillion bugs, poor UI, C2 bonus mission- sized main missions etc. and the discs do not function at the most basic level of software competency.
Waahahahahahahahahahah!

rjhammer
19th Nov 2003, 01:44
I have to agree with twitch. This is a poor release of a game. How can you have a game released for a month and not have a fix for major game play problems? I was a huge fan of Commandos but now I've been seriously turned off!!

CyberPsyco
21st Nov 2003, 22:14
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foxtrot

" that could have been exploited to at least a 5 or 6 th game, if they would ask the players for support for the story line and for some new, interesting stuff. Maybe Pyro and Eidos should sell the title to someone more professional, interested in making a proffit."

I agree very much to what Foxtrot sait, its so ovius that they lost their tuch!:mad: They couldent make anything right since Commandos 2 I mean they should really sell the title to some other company.

Well i havent bought the game and Im pretty shure that I wont
beqause what iwe heard here just frigtened me :( , (orginal post: Is it really that bad?) Dammit I dont wanna spen one months pay on a game thats not oviusly worth buying!!!

CyberPsyco
21st Nov 2003, 22:14
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Foxtrot

" that could have been exploited to at least a 5 or 6 th game, if they would ask the players for support for the story line and for some new, interesting stuff. Maybe Pyro and Eidos should sell the title to someone more professional, interested in making a proffit."

I agree very much to what Foxtrot sait, its so ovius that they lost their tuch!:mad: They couldent make anything right since Commandos 2 I mean they should really sell the title to some other company.

Well i havent bought the game and Im pretty shure that I wont
beqause what iwe heard here just frigtened me :( , (orginal post: Is it really that bad?) Dammit I dont wanna spen one months pay on a game thats not oviusly worth buying!!!

BlackDuck
24th Nov 2003, 14:18
Boys and Girls, Being an avid lover of Commandos BEL and BTCOD I thought all my Xmases came at once when C2 was released. I was chanting at the bit when I read about C3. On hindsight I am glad that I never got the chance to download and try the Demo. I'm sure sure if I did I would be faced with the dilema of should I buy it or not with the weighting towards giving it a miss. Having bought the game and consoling myselt to the fact that Pyros has got hold of a part of my limited $s, it's too late and I must admit that I could not say that it is the worst game I have played, however, I certainly do not feel that it does it's predecessors any justice. I have been playing Desperados and Robin Hood (both of which share a similar gameplay genre) and have kept my fires burning waiting for this release. I am very dissapointed with it's offering and that is why I have posted these comments just to add to the rapidly growing negative statistics. If sufficient fans can band together thru a forum such as this maybe we can apply a little leverage to get Pyro to release those bug fixes, weapon/action hotkeys and maybe a few expansion packs and extricate themselves out of the faeces they find themselves in with C3 in it's current state.

Hell_Soldier
25th Nov 2003, 09:13
the single player is nice
but the multiplayer is

adam y
28th Nov 2003, 05:54
I was sooooo primed and ready for this game to come out. I am a huge fan of C2. That game was not without it's flaws but was by far one of my all time favorites.
I went as far as to put a copy of Commandos 3 on hold six months ago. I finally got it.
I have palyed half of it,. So far it has been a huge let down. I thought they would just add to a already excellent format, instead they have completely wasted my time, effort and money. I am not happy with the long wait for this game, with such a poor product in return.
I hope my receipt is still good.
What happened did they fire the guy with all the creativity? Did they even bother playing the game after making it? And are they going to redeem themeselves by re-release it? When it is an actually a playable and enjoyable game. I am apalled to think that this is the follow up to such a great series.
This is like Die Hard- With a Vengeance.
I feel like I have been held up for what little money I have. What is this the Gestapo!!!
Please someone tell me if the company plans to re do this game.
It has a lot of potential!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :

BlackDuck
28th Nov 2003, 12:20
Boys and Girls,
I'm just about to vent my spleen, but only because I think have a captivating audience for my plight.

Commandos 3, "May God have mercy on it's creator and hang draw and quarter it's distributor"!!!!

I totally sympathise with Twitch (Hi). He has canned this "THIS" for the n0000.th. time to the point where this may seem like a Twitch Epitaph but if there is such a thing as reading a stranger's "thought" I hope I'm right in what seems like a desperate plea to the "GODS that adjudicate over the creation of games", to right an inmeasurable wrong. A plea that should tug on the heart strings of those Pyros moguls that have made a lucrative living out of us Commando's adicts.

I love the conscep, I love the genre but every time I fire up C3 the fire in my belly turns to mush.

I am one of those fortunates that have had no, (yep no), problems with installation and execution (thoug I reserve to qualify this with running without bugs/crashes (not gameplay)).

I am not a clever **** to finish it in a few hours. I like to persevere and entrap every Nazi. I won't get into the joys of killing or sparing the square heads, but I do like to imobilise all of them, which makes the time aspect somewhat infuriating (for a lack of a better word). However, I'm only part into the game so I cannot speak of it's finality.

Now for my soapbox.

Loved C1. Adored C1+ (BTCOD). C2 was orgasmic. Then a "thank your mother for the rabbits" out came Desperados and long after Robin Hood. Neither a C2 or C1+cc competitor but holy smelly stuff-between-your-toes, a hell of a lot closer to C2 than this PATHETIC attempt with C3. If those Pyros(maniacs) sitting in their ivory towers may somehow take hold of this conscept and consider that if Infogames (Desperados) and/or Strategy First(Robin Hood) pulled their fingers out and released a follow up, Pyros (Pyros who?) would even loose a race with Space Invaders on a AT box with the screen out of focus.

My final multiple FAQ's are:
a) What were the developers smoking. Can they slip some of it into the packaging?
b) What were the testers smoking and how much was the bribe.
c) Who had what and up whose "chocolate starfish" when the distributors decided to release this product.
d) How much can a single 'shekel' be in the eyes of an avarice promoter? Play the Jewish Piano one more time (cash register)!
e) For the C3 advocators.... Sorry guys but how can you honestly compare this C3 furfie with C2. Rationalise, if you haven't, then try the other offerings (Desperoados and RH)? Compare it with C1, C1+ and C2 and then try to speak without a forked-tongue.

Off the soapbox and in Twitch's dreamworld.

PYROS read this plea.
Accept the vote of the majority, eat humble pie, spend a few shekels, do the right thing by your faihfull supporters and fix this debacle.
How subtle can subltlety be? The general conscensur from this forum is not a request but more a demand. If you are going to exterminate the Commandos genre please don't let it slip into oblivion this way...

Hail o mighty "@M", can u or urs Herald our cause against those mighty Pyrosites?

:eek:

adam y
28th Nov 2003, 16:02
Originally posted by BlackDuck
Boys and Girls,
I'm just about to vent my spleen, but only because I think have a captivating audience for my plight.

Commandos 3, "May God have mercy on it's creator and hang draw and quarter it's distributor"!!!!

I totally sympathise with Twitch (Hi). He has canned this "THIS" for the n0000.th. time to the point where this may seem like a Twitch Epitaph but if there is such a thing as reading a stranger's "thought" I hope I'm right in what seems like a desperate plea to the "GODS that adjudicate over the creation of games", to right an inmeasurable wrong. A plea that should tug on the heart strings of those Pyros moguls that have made a lucrative living out of us Commando's adicts.

I love the conscep, I love the genre but every time I fire up C3 the fire in my belly turns to mush.

I am one of those fortunates that have had no, (yep no), problems with installation and execution (thoug I reserve to qualify this with running without bugs/crashes (not gameplay)).

I am not a clever **** to finish it in a few hours. I like to persevere and entrap every Nazi. I won't get into the joys of killing or sparing the square heads, but I do like to imobilise all of them, which makes the time aspect somewhat infuriating (for a lack of a better word). However, I'm only part into the game so I cannot speak of it's finality.

Now for my soapbox.

Loved C1. Adored C1+ (BTCOD). C2 was orgasmic. Then a "thank your mother for the rabbits" out came Desperados and long after Robin Hood. Neither a C2 or C1+cc competitor but holy smelly stuff-between-your-toes, a hell of a lot closer to C2 than this PATHETIC attempt with C3. If those Pyros(maniacs) sitting in their ivory towers may somehow take hold of this conscept and consider that if Infogames (Desperados) and/or Strategy First(Robin Hood) pulled their fingers out and released a follow up, Pyros (Pyros who?) would even loose a race with Space Invaders on a AT box with the screen out of focus.

My final multiple FAQ's are:
a) What were the developers smoking. Can they slip some of it into the packaging?
b) What were the testers smoking and how much was the bribe.
c) Who had what and up whose "chocolate starfish" when the distributors decided to release this product.
d) How much can a single 'shekel' be in the eyes of an avarice promoter? Play the Jewish Piano one more time (cash register)!
e) For the C3 advocators.... Sorry guys but how can you honestly compare this C3 furfie with C2. Rationalise, if you haven't, then try the other offerings (Desperoados and RH)? Compare it with C1, C1+ and C2 and then try to speak without a forked-tongue.

Off the soapbox and in Twitch's dreamworld.

PYROS read this plea.
Accept the vote of the majority, eat humble pie, spend a few shekels, do the right thing by your faihfull supporters and fix this debacle.
How subtle can subltlety be? The general conscensur from this forum is not a request but more a demand. If you are going to exterminate the Commandos genre please don't let it slip into oblivion this way...

Hail o mighty "@M", can u or urs Herald our cause against those mighty Pyrosites?

:eek:

I totally agree with your last statement Black Duck. Something must be done to rectify this horrible attempt to destroy an otherwise wonderful game series. I say go out on a high note! PLEASE!!!! PYRO PLEASE!!!
"God. Why hast thou forsaken me." JESUS

legroseasy
30th Nov 2003, 11:00
How could they make a game that was so good so bad with C3. They made too much effort with the graphics and everything rather then the game itself. I was a huge fan of the other version but now, I am so frustrated. This game is dull, long and you never know exactly what you are suppose to do. A huge disappointment. I have to start the stupid traitor level because I click on the stupid clock. Way to go guys.

BlackDuck
30th Nov 2003, 11:55
Originally posted by adam y
I totally agree with your last statement Black Duck. Something must be done to rectify this horrible attempt to destroy an otherwise wonderful game series. I say go out on a high note! PLEASE!!!! PYRO PLEASE!!!

Not trying to piss in your pocket adam y, but thanks for the support.

There are so many post and threads that I would like to say my 2 pennies worth to, that I fear that I may find it easier to photocopy my thougths and do a fly drop over Europe, N/A and Asia. I'm sure I don't need to do it in my homeland of Australia as I'm sure that people within a 3,000K radius have heard my screams of frustration.

Boys and Girls,
Have mercy on this poor soul but I earmark 'x' hours a day for playing games which at the moment is reserved for C3. Unfortunately the earmark falls drastically short of my actual game play and I feel that I must occupy my time with some type of contribution to my C3 commitment.

In recent past, I alluded to the developers smoking something while writting C3. I take that back, I think they were shooting up! I keep trying to play the game but finish up exiting in frustration from what ranges between 5 minutes to several hours. NOooooo, I am one that HAS NOT finished it in a few hours and YEeesss I'm one of those lucky ones that have found the bugs an inconvenience but not a show stopper. I will shoulder some of the blame as I am trying to play this with the same approach as C2 which in itself is not correct, but how can the two (C2 & C3) be so diametrically opposed. It's like comparing Lara Croft with those text based adventure games that raised their ugly heads back in the '80s (if anyone can go back that far).

I am probably older than most of your fathers, however, I love PC gaming. I probably buy more games than any sane person should contemplate, let alone go out and buy. I have purchased some dogs that have not even had the fortune of being unwrapped because of feedback from fellow gamers after the purchase.

While both start with a "d", there is a subtle difference between "dog" and "disappointment". Thid is wher I place Domandos 3.. There are many games out there that can challenge your reflexes. Maybe I have it wrong as C1 gave mucho bonus points for speed of completion. I did not get too many... However, I did explore every nook and cranny and not one Nazi was left roaming and not one destructible building or vehicle was left standing. With the option of punch and tie it really added a great completeness to the full extent of the game without having to kill all.

Along comes C3. The developers have now introduces the magical concept of time. Whether it is time limiting or a time instigated "enemy deployment activation" it basically forces the game into a linear plane. If you don't go directly to the most efficient way of solving the screen you loose. The finality of a loss does not let you ponder what you should have done or let you play through to see what you should have done (though I accept this is a Commando's trademark). If you blunder across this magical combination first time, how do you know what you have missed out on. Why design such an aesthetically glorious game for the limited pixels that may be displayed on your screen as you rush to complete the level with the minimum interface. You guys that have finished it, do you know what is hidden in each corner (gimme a walkthrough). How can you say you enjoyed the full extent of the game when it would be impossible to achieve total exploration within the imposed time limits. To add to this the controls???? In a non linear game I would be happy to accept the lack of hotkeys, however, with the time constraints, gimme a break.

I persevere and will probably keep loading it up until I blunder across the final solution. But am I enjoying it? NO!! I paid good bucks for this game and will therefore persevere under duress. Believe me, if this was a pirated copy I would have smashed it weeks ago and shot the black eyed bastard that gave me the copy. When/if I ever finish this game I believe I will have to shatter it as I do not think I could give it away and face the recipient next day and if I could find a fool to sell it to I may have just discovered the next about to be murderer.

BlackDuck
30th Nov 2003, 12:05
Originally posted by legroseasy
How could they make a game that was so good so bad with C3. They made too much effort with the graphics and everything rather then the game itself. I was a huge fan of the other version but now, I am so frustrated. This game is dull, long and you never know exactly what you are suppose to do. A huge disappointment. I have to start the stupid traitor level because I click on the stupid clock. Way to go guys.

Me again...

Every time I post, I get carried away with sentiment and forget what I really wanted to say....

@m or anyone that has a pull,

a) A bug fix for people that have problems. (At least let them get to load the game and "enjoy" the frustrations I am).
b) "HOTKEYS"
c) Timed "play"/"enemy release" as an option thus removing the enforced linearity and let us enjoy the subtleties of the game...
d) A few more screens to compenstae for the frustrations caused by pointa a-c above. (Damn it, I love the Comandos concept that much that I would even PAY FOR A FIX...)

Twitch
1st Dec 2003, 16:39
Blackduck you are an eloquent mofo, man- good expression of your points! And I think the makers of this thing were even beyond shooting up. I think they are on a permanent morphine IV drip and they translated that to the gameplay where the commandos take one hit and eat up to med kits!

Yes, just because these are new missions doesn't make them good when compared to earlier ones in the series or make the whole game better.

Racing to finish the game is fine the first time. C2 had the time you took to complete the mission and people seem to be stuck on that in C3. Mostly I think they are illustrating how quickly it went compared to C2.

There are people who have mentioned how they've only played most of the C2 missions only a couple of times. Certainly puzzling since the fun actually begins after you forget about times and ranks and little medals. C2 offered many ways to complete missions that C3 doesn't. No one is a qualified veteran after playing C2 a couple times only.

Being an old guy like you Blackduck I can remember the meager early games and other software to be sure. And I can remember when the 2-seat Thinderbird went to 4-seats and the whole concept was ruined forever. Same thing at work here. I don't think most people are rationally comparing C2 and C3 point for point and feature for feature. It's like 'yahoo!- new commando missions- they must be good just because they have new artwork.' To "road test" C2 and C3 side by side proves the logic that C2 is far superior in every way if one looks at it in a neutral, non-biased way.

The strength of any good title is the fact that it is not run through once and put on the shelf. In C2 one can run certain missions 50 times with different logic and approaches and be able to savor the experiences instead of some Daffy Duck or Roadrunner "wuuhoo or meep, meep!" look I did it under the ticking clock like some Colecovision game from 1984.

Duck- I'm glad your copy of the thing runs without too many bugs. And that's part of the C3 mystery too- some are nearly bug free and others are non-playable. And I'm glad a handful are actually happy with the abreviated, simplified C3. I and most certainly had greater expectations for complexity.

mzsaad
2nd Dec 2003, 04:18
hi guys,
every1 was complaing about the game. I still haven't played the c3 even though I have bought the CDs. Reason being my system is not latest enough to handle it but now I am going to upgrade my system because of that. I havn't played it yet but I am sure that commandos is the best strategy game ever. people say about the range of the rifles and some other weird stuff. I mean come on guys. Its just a game, try to play it like that and try to relax and wnjoy whats in the game. Don't look for whats not :D ;) .
see you guys.
saad.

Mike_B
2nd Dec 2003, 06:29
Guys,

While you can have your say in this thread, please refrain from developper bashing. You're probably right that at some point they made some mistakes, still there's no one here who has participated in the creation of the Commandos series. So I think they deserve some respect.

Thanks,

Lechuck
11th Dec 2003, 20:42
well. i thought i'd leave this thread for a bit to see what people had to say. I've read it all. Thanks for taking the time to reply peoples.

After reading these comments and many reviews, I've decided to spend my £30 on Broken Sword 3. I hope it will not disappoint me like commandos 3 has.

Despite C3 being no good it has not put me off Commandos as a whole. Even though C3 is pants compared to its predecessors, the green beret & co are very memorable characters and the previous 2 games were too enjoyable to put me off commandoing.

I now await Commandos 4 Rise of the Machines, or whatever it'll be called.;)

Twitch
12th Dec 2003, 16:16
I hear ya Lechuck. I took my broken C3 back to the store and traded for American Conquest.

C4 is going to have a little different spin I imagine being that C3 was so lame. Its after WW 2 and Fins is going to be involved in eco-clean up in the Thames Estuary. He'll be with Greenpeace in little boats buzzing around Russian oil tankers dropping their bilge into the water and Fins job will be diving to scrape barnacles off of freighters. The Thief will get caught burglarizing old ladies' flats and go to back to prison. Driver will be a wheel man for a British Museum robbery and end up with Thief in prison. Inferno will be busy working on pyrotechnics displays for the fireworks displays on the Queen Mother's birthday and other Brit holidays. Spooky will now be in industrial espionage secretly photographing documents while working undercover in a huge, nameless corporation- very exciting. Natasha will open a brothel in London maling C4 a hard R-rated game. Duke will become a chauffeur /butler for a rich, gay Londoner and endless drive around the city. Maybe they'll stop at Natasha's brothel! Green Beret will be a dock worker in Liverpool and it will be a contest to see how many boxes he can unload from ships. All these missions will be timed, of course, to keep in the C3 theme we are all accustomed to. Along with no hotkeys the mouse input will no longer function. The entire game will be operated using the arrow ans enter keys only. Graphics will go back to basics- CGA -so they look like pixelated comics in newspapers. Music will be from 1940 cartoons.

I can't wait! :D

ragsy
15th Dec 2003, 05:45
I hear ya Lechuck. I took my broken C3 back to the store and traded for American Conquest.

C4 is going to have a little different spin I imagine being that C3 was so lame. Its after WW 2 and Fins is going to be involved in eco-clean up in the Thames Estuary. He'll be with Greenpeace in little boats buzzing around Russian oil tankers dropping their bilge into the water and Fins job will be diving to scrape barnacles off of freighters. The Thief will get caught burglarizing old ladies' flats and go to back to prison. Driver will be a wheel man for a British Museum robbery and end up with Thief in prison. Inferno will be busy working on pyrotechnics displays for the fireworks displays on the Queen Mother's birthday and other Brit holidays. Spooky will now be in industrial espionage secretly photographing documents while working undercover in a huge, nameless corporation- very exciting. Natasha will open a brothel in London maling C4 a hard R-rated game. Duke will become a chauffeur /butler for a rich, gay Londoner and endless drive around the city. Maybe they'll stop at Natasha's brothel! Green Beret will be a dock worker in Liverpool and it will be a contest to see how many boxes he can unload from ships. All these missions will be timed, of course, to keep in the C3 theme we are all accustomed to. Along with no hotkeys the mouse input will no longer function. The entire game will be operated using the arrow ans enter keys only. Graphics will go back to basics- CGA -so they look like pixelated comics in newspapers. Music will be from 1940 cartoons.

I can't wait! :D

ROFLMAO

Nice One Twitch... Although i see that in my abscence there is still no point in buying the game..

Cmon Pyro/Eidos when do we get the real game, i've got money sitting here waiting for you, as i'm sure do others

Titan_7000
25th Dec 2003, 08:30
Was it finished? No it was not but good ole Eidos decided since it was the last game for the commandos series why not release it unfinished? Maybe they wanted extra sales from the holiday buyers but frankly all they have done is made gamers hate them even more for shoving a unifinish game into buyers hands. But no only was it not finished they even removed some of the best features from the game and added even worse ones. For instance they removed co-op. However they didn't see the need to of the box REMOVE the following from the back of the box: Experince WWII Warfare head to head in all new death match AND cooperative multiplayer modes for up to 12 players. Now you be the judge but to me that mean the good ole co-op play would still be there. False advertisment? Hmm not quite but frankly I am very dissapointed in this company for still having that on the back. It is not co-op play it is TEAM play I know very well that the company did indeed know this but they wanted to sucker as many people as they could in with this wording. The second thing they did to further destroy the game was adding timers to the mission. What on earth were they thinking? Oh lets add a timer so people will hate the game even more! It's almost as if they wanted the game to fail but didn't care because they would still make money from the name. Frankly all you have done to me the paying customer is dislike your con artist company even more now. I won't be buying any games from this company anymore probably not even Thief III because much like this game I'm sure it will just be a cash cow and a attempt to make money of a already popular series. I plan on returning my copy of Commandos 3 because frankly I would rather have Mario Party 7904 than this unfinish garbage you are trying to market as a commandos game. Commandos and Commandos 2 would destroy this game any day and I would rather play them than this. I hope somone who is thinking about buying the game reads this but I somehow doubt the moderators will allow it to stay up for long. Because they don't like for their company to be shown in a bad light well I'm sorry but you have really messed a lot of people up with this game and I hope Eidos fails because if this is a indication of what's to come I don't want to see any more from them.

Mike_B
25th Dec 2003, 10:31
Originally posted by Titan_7000
Was it finished? No it was not but good ole Eidos decided since it was the last game for the commandos series why not release it unfinished?

Pyro made the game.

For instance they removed co-op.

This has come up multiple times. If you want to avoid dissapointment with features being left out of a game, the best is to check the respective forums and read previews to know about the latest changes.

I won't be buying any games from this company anymore probably not even Thief III because much like this game I'm sure it will just be a cash cow and a attempt to make money of a already popular series.

While it's your good right not to buy games from Eidos because you don't like them, you have to keep in mind that Eidos is a publisher and 'thus all there games are made by different development studios.

I hope somone who is thinking about buying the game reads this but I somehow doubt the moderators will allow it to stay up for long. Because they don't like for their company to be shown in a bad light

It's still here, but I took the liberty to merge it in this thread since there really isn't any need to have multiple threads about this. I've putted the "anybody pleased" thread back as a sticky since it seems there are still a lot of people who want to have their say into this matter. Also not every moderator on the board works for Eidos. Also me & Xcom don't work for Eidos just as many other members of the moderator team.

Titan_7000
26th Dec 2003, 01:03
@m thank you for pointing out that pyro made it but the fact remains that Edios published it. It was Edios' responsiblity to make sure they were not putting a flawed game out which they did not do. Also I noticed you didn't comment on my point about the cooperative play being PRINTED on the back of the box. While I might very well check the forums someone who is buying it as a gift would not such as parents for a kid.

While it's your good right not to buy games from Eidos because you don't like them, you have to keep in mind that Eidos is a publisher and 'thus all there games are made by different development studios.

Well of course I don't expect Edios to do everything but judging by the fact that this game was released under their name I doubt I would want anything else from them. Frankly because they don't know how to tell people a game isn't good enough it seems. Prehaps it was really just the fact that edios wanted to make as much money as they could off this game so they left the words Cooperative play on the box...

Thank you for choosing to combine these and put them into a sticky btw.

Mike_B
26th Dec 2003, 13:03
Originally posted by Titan_7000
Also I noticed you didn't comment on my point about the cooperative play being PRINTED on the back of the box. While I might very well check the forums someone who is buying it as a gift would not such as parents for a kid.

I didn't comment on that because I have no clue what they would leave that on the box. It's obvious a (bad) marketing decission.

antay
27th Dec 2003, 05:12
This game can not be in the Commandos Series. Say it ain't so, Gonzo?
First, if I wanted a shoot-em-up game I would play my "Medal of Honor". Iwanted a stealth strategy game.
Second, lack of hot-keys makes the game so much worse
Third, the mouse controls (or is it the interface?) are so unresponsive, requiring sometimes multiple clicking attempts.
Whoever from Gamespot wrote the comment "Commandos 3 just blows its predecessor away" must be delusional.

antay
27th Dec 2003, 05:52
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mzsaad

every1 was complaing about the game. Its just a game, try to play it like that and try to relax and wnjoy whats in the game. Don't look for whats not :D ;) .

mzsaad,
I think you have the right attitude, but I am still very irritated that my $50 went to something so basically flawed. Try the game, and let us know what you think.
As for me, I am not that mature.... I want my money baaaack. But once I opened the inviolate cellophane wrapper I guess I am stuck with the product masquerading as C3. !!@**##:mad:

yeah
27th Dec 2003, 16:16
commandos 3 it's very beautiful but it's too simple to be a good games.
i have finished it in only 4 days !!!!!!!
i haven't found any quite difficult location.

sick
30th Dec 2003, 22:52
there are ppl who finished the game within a day:p

and titan_7k: i have also the feeling that the game wasnt totally finished. i like the game but it misses things that previous commandos games did had.
maybe pyro didnt wanted this game to be the greatest in the commandos series. simply because they didnt want fans filling their inbox with the same question over and over again: COMMANDOS 4 PLZ!
and i think they succeeded:)

Weigie
31st Dec 2003, 05:59
I like it. I find it to be a challenge. I think it is better that the earlier versions.

bazlan
2nd Jan 2004, 02:55
I must be one of the first US players to post here as I can't believe all the "returned the game" postings. How is it that you are able to return the game after opening it and playing it?!? Here in the US, once you open any part of the software package, you are stuck with it. I don't care if you misread the system requirements or whatever, once opened, always yours. Wish I lived in a country that allowed software returns....

sick
2nd Jan 2004, 12:55
it used to be like that a long time ago here. but since there excist cd-writers you cant anymore. only thing you can do is switch it for another game with the same price cuz you wont get ur money back:o

gothic freak666
2nd Jan 2004, 16:30
Commandos 3 maybe not the best commandos has seen but it is enjoyable and fun and is worth gettin :rolleyes: :cool: :p

azzhole
3rd Jan 2004, 23:56
I`ve played the entire commandos series and for me, this 3rd installment (ex addons...) is the most dissapointing of all of them. Unfortunately it feels like playing a rushed, watered down down version of the commandos I know and love.

I didn`t try the demo of c3 before purchasing the game, I bought it because I had huge faith in the series from the previous games. The first thing that struck me was that the game refused to display properly on my PC when 1st installed, one swift download of the patch later and it was working. 1-0 to the cons....

Now once the game had finally loaded and displayed properly I sat down to enjoy, but soon discovered I could only display the game in a resolution of 800x600. i find this quite incredible at this stage in time, that resolution was acceptable back in 1999, but it just doesn`t cut it nowadays.

Anyway, I got on with the playing, as you do, and lo and behold I did actually start to get sucked in and really enjoyed it. But as I see other people have pointed out there are just too many interface issues. No hotkeys (or very few..) the major one, but also things like only being able to see certain parts of the map when you have the view in a certain direction. Whats that all about? Theres also the many bugs (I wont go into detail as I havent discovered any 'new' ones that noone else has mentioned.

Trying my hardest to forgive these shortcomings, I laboured on, and then all of a sudden, the damn thing was over. Before I could even think of an intresting way to phrase 'cash in' the campaign ending sequence was over (possibly because it consisted of a screen telling me it was completed, did the work experience boy complete this section of the game for you Pyro?)

There are many other aspects that seem such a waste as they are not implemented properly, items you cannot use to their full potential, vehicles of no use, missing commandos, big empty buildings. It makes me sad that this game was not finished before hitting the shops.

But despite all these negative things, the game still holds some appeal. There is still a big satisfaction to be gained from completing the missions, and there is a lot of 'just 1 more go' style enthusiam for the game (from me anyway). I, like a lot of other people, hope Pyro can rectify the situation slightly with a patch to answer some of these issues and perhaps add some levels/longevity.

One final thing I will mention, I have seen quite a few people here comment on the price tag of c3 (I haven`t read all the replies so i don`t know if anyone has already stated the following, forgive me if they have!), the price was one of the most commendable things about the game to me. I live in England and the game was £19.99, this is excellent for a brand new game, as most games retail at £29.99 - £34.99. I`m sorry for anyone abroad who`s had to pay a lot more for it.

ragsy
26th Jan 2004, 22:08
Originally posted by azzhole
the price was one of the most commendable things about the game to me. I live in England and the game was £19.99, this is excellent for a brand new game, as most games retail at £29.99 - £34.99. I`m sorry for anyone abroad who`s had to pay a lot more for it.

They still want $89.95 for it in Australia which is £38.11 (GBP)

If it was £19.99 here it would be $47.20 AUD.... still too much money IMO

when it gets to $19.95(AUD) here i will buy it

Jek
26th Jan 2004, 22:43
Some gripes about this game::

1. how come it now takes 2 syrynge attacks to knock an enemy down and another on if you want to finnish him off, in earler version it only took one injection.
2. How long does it take to start climbing a ladder, and if he is lying down forget it.

Good points::

I like the flame thrower on the Normandy mission, only just started this one. unlike others i like to have a few days off in between to make the game last a bit longer

sick
27th Jan 2004, 09:20
about the syringe, it took 3 times to knock a soldier out in c2 also...
i like it because you have to think before you use the syringe, cuz you dont what to run outta poison...

and when you want to climb up a ladder quickly let the commando stand up and while he is still doing that climb the ladder. this will stop the animation of standing up and he will climb up the ladder more quickly.

WheresTheBeef
5th Feb 2004, 01:12
If they think they will make up for C3 with C4 (who knows) by asking us to pay (yet again) for what we should have got in the first place, then they not only have some serious programming/business/advertising issues, but psychological ones on top of it.

If/When they reintroduce weapon hotkeys and release the 12 maps missing, C4 might be a consideration. Until then, AFAIC, they can keep it.

Kip
5th Feb 2004, 21:09
Originally posted by @m
Gonzo and Jon together with some other people left Pyro after C2 was ported to console, and founded a new company. Seems we're all waiting breathlessly for the next game coming out of that company... ;)

sick
6th Feb 2004, 08:12
yeah, their first game is called "Lord of the Creatures."
it looks very nice but only a few details are know at the moment.
check www.arvirago.com for more info

Mr47
28th Mar 2004, 00:18
Hey .. that game doesn't look bad.

Truth is Gonzo and the team of merrymen should have never left the Commandos project, as it could have revolutionized the industry even more.

Commandos 3 is not a bad game, it is simply unpolished and without doubt there are no excuses which Eidos nor Pyro can give us as to why it was set out unfinished. We were expecting.. what.. 20 missions? We got 11. We cant do much about it, except brag, but then even bragging isnt going to help, as they havent visited these forums in.. i dunno even how long (not including you @m).

As mentioned in a latest topic, maybe they are just trying to encourage us to make our missions, explore what would it be like to be in their shoes. They opened up the whole source code of C2 for us when they could have locked it(like c3).. i think its all a big enigma as to why they would do sumtin like that.

In a pre-conclusion i believe we should all get off of our whining ***** and start finding ways to MOD C2.. I for one am right now building C++ applications and taking Spanish classes at my school, almost finished the first year. I learnt quite a bit, except for these words. atleast i know what alaman means so far :P

Personally i believe that Gonzo inspired the entire commandos crew to do sumtin with enough potential to shock all of us, but ever since he left that courage and pride has diminished. I am half-way done through C1 xpack, i finished C1 once again a couple of months ago and am going back to c1 xpack (i am on the 4th mission, looking mighty good!). Missions like these is what drives us to love these games, believe it or not. The whole concept of tickling our brain to think and multitask all these things is .. well.. magnificent. Oh sure people say 'computers are bad for you' but commandos stands out as one of the best games there ever is, even if it may not look like it.

So, in conclusion, i'll restate what i said in my pre-conclusion, lets do sumtin about this. Magic Mission Creator has been released, thats a start, however i'd focus more on C2 as we have the ability to unlock pretty much everything... as for c3, well, we're screwed for now.

Thats all, pm me if you want to i am here 5-7 times a day...