PDA

View Full Version : 800x600 resolution!!!???? Are you guys kidding?

Kittykat
16th Oct 2003, 22:41
Why is the game stuck in a horribly outdated resolution? It looks foggy , not sharp and crisp like the screenshots I see and the player models are jagged and pixelated, if I remember correctly Commandoes 2 had high resolution and looks great. :mad:

David
16th Oct 2003, 22:47
it is indeed true!
maybe it is possible to change in cofig file, who knows. cuz you cant change it in game menu !!!

my friend who got c3, said it looked quite awesome with 800x600rez ;)

BuhBuhCuh
17th Oct 2003, 07:17
Yeah, wassup? I have this fancey sony lcd monitor which for whatever reason doesn't like to play anything at less than 1280*1024. At 800*600 it shows the top 1/4 of the screen on the botton, making the game unplayable. And someone forgot to put up a support page too.

bbc

sick
17th Oct 2003, 07:19
cant you strech out the screen? dunno if its possible with laptops but with my screen it is...

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
17th Oct 2003, 12:25
Originally posted by Kittykat
Why is the game stuck in a horribly outdated resolution? It looks foggy , not sharp and crisp like the screenshots I see and the player models are jagged and pixelated, if I remember correctly Commandoes 2 had high resolution and looks great. :mad:

Dude........tell me you're kidding!

No other resolution then 800x640?!?!

Are the developers out of their minds or something?
This is only getting worse and worse........i'm almost defenetly considering not buying this. And this seems now imminent that C3 has taken a leap backwards instead of forward. :(

And the demise of the commandos genre seems to be starting.

David
17th Oct 2003, 13:48
no kidding mate!

Clockwork
17th Oct 2003, 17:00
C3 is only can play in 800X640??
???
:confused: :confused:

David
17th Oct 2003, 19:04
yes AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

ziggiman
17th Oct 2003, 23:30
Hmm... I've been looking forward to the release of C3 for quite some time, but there is NO WAY I'm gonna buy a game which can only do 800x600 :-( Can't tell how disapointet I am :( Think I'll stick to minesweeper...

empirion
18th Oct 2003, 00:07
Disgusting isn't it? All htese years to develop a sequel only to be locked at 800x600. What was the idea behind not supporting higher resolutions, at least 1024x768? If anyone knows how to increase resolution....maybe in the config file or something.

Clockwork
18th Oct 2003, 00:25
Originally posted by ziggiman
Hmm... I've been looking forward to the release of C3 for quite some time, but there is NO WAY I'm gonna buy a game which can only do 800x600 :-( Can't tell how disapointet I am :( Think I'll stick to minesweeper...

me too.
I can't accept any games just can play in low resolution ,I miss
C2 now.

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
18th Oct 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by empirion
Disgusting isn't it? All htese years to develop a sequel only to be locked at 800x600. What was the idea behind not supporting higher resolutions, at least 1024x768? If anyone knows how to increase resolution....maybe in the config file or something.

well you were able to do this in the *cfg file in the demo, but the game got a bit screwie because of the resolution change and got a bit bugged (i.e if fully zoomed out in the outside view the screen automatically focused to the farside left of the map) :( )

Perhaps this is fixed in the actual game.......

WeinerMan
18th Oct 2003, 18:52
in C2 you could change the C:\Program Files\Commandos II\OUTPUT\Comm2.cfg file as follows to get different resolutions:

.MODOVIDEO 2 = 1024x768
.MODOVIDEO 3 = 1280x1024

is there anything similar in Comm3.cfg?? i don't have the game yet...

Mike_B
18th Oct 2003, 19:42
Originally posted by WeinerMan
in C2 you could change the C:\Program Files\Commandos II\OUTPUT\Comm2.cfg file as follows to get different resolutions:

.MODOVIDEO 2 = 1024x768
.MODOVIDEO 3 = 1280x1024

is there anything similar in Comm3.cfg?? i don't have the game yet...

It was possible in the beta to change it but ever since the official demo it wasn't possible anymore. The modovideo line was removed and if you put it in manually it would be removed. Same in the full game according to one of the forum members of TAFN.

sow
20th Oct 2003, 07:14
you can zoom in and out...
I guess this is why they took out the resolution setting?

Kittykat
20th Oct 2003, 21:25
you could zoom in and out in commandoes 2

snoopybinary
21st Oct 2003, 03:31
No kidding - instead of increasing the screen solution, Pyros managed to decrease it! :eek:

If I am not mistaken, Commanods 2/3 is technically a hybrid between un-scalable bitmap graphics(!) and an underlying 3D model. That was very appropriate two years ago when commandos 2 provided beautiful graphics (three degrees, up to 1024 * 768!) with a 3D action feeling.

But today! We have Direct X9, Radeon 9800 Pro cards! No, no, I will not buy this game, no matter how good the scenarios... :mad:

Twitch
22nd Oct 2003, 15:36
I can deal with the resolution but have you noticed soldiers and things bleeding off the screen? There have been guys I wanted to take out at the extreme edge of the screen but you can't get close to them and interact (neutralize or distract) with them.

macsux
23rd Oct 2003, 05:42
Tell me about it. The stupid camera keeps locked to the side of the screen and some enemies just walk right off the viewing area of the map. Plus there there are too many f trees in many locations, which make it only possible to see from a single angle. I just played commandos 2 just to compare and what a joy I had :)

Anyone tried copying mission files from C3 to commandos 2? Maybe the game will recognize it. Long shot, but maybe a solution...

Freakylittlemushroombaby
23rd Oct 2003, 09:10
PLus when you're in biudling, the camera modes make it really hard to see where people are, and clicking on doors is hard, especially from the side. Sometimes you enter a room and the camera makes it so you can't see anybody, and they could be right in front of you, which was the case in one room.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they made this game...didn't they realise that everybody loved C2? Why change it so drastically? Hopefully they've learned from this, and C4 will be the dogs bollox...or they've stopped learning altogether, and c4 will be 640 X 480, with only two people and 1 level that impossible.

Twitch
23rd Oct 2003, 19:32
And have you noticed how slow and imprecise the movement by the mouse is. I ran C2 yesterday after C3 and the angles and movements are like a Ferrari in C2 compared to a truck on C3. Sometimes the whole screen slowly slides without touching anything. The interiors suck too. When you go in they are off center and you have to move the view around so it is. All the camera view changes take forever or just completely freeze and one must use RMB to get it to switch.

I was in Normany crawling in a trench to get an angle on a soldier at ground level and Tiny automatically picked up a dead guy and walked in the line of fire. My last command was simply a move forward about 1 meter. In the mission before that Inferno is behind the vehicle area having just taken out the required 6 armored vehicles and had begun blowing his other bombs when I see him crawling out in plain view of the Nazis!!! Touching the bomb icons to blow them made him do it.

bcheeser
23rd Oct 2003, 20:38
You players are starting to convince me that this game will fade fast- C2 was good- and from the C3 problems I just might not get it- too bad!

David
23rd Oct 2003, 22:33
of course c3 runs much slower then c2, which i played on 640x320 ;) c2 on 800x600 was too slow for me :) but c3 is quite ok!
anyway i like c3 more then c2, for many reasons. it is harder, more fun, and more beautifull! and i will have to repeat a lot of levels too! there is a lot undead soldiers waiting for me ;)

Twitch
24th Oct 2003, 14:55
Why is is it acceptable that C3 runs slower than C2? I have the higher "recommenced requirements" hardware and ran C2 on 800X600 last night and it blazed through view angle changes and mouse to screen scroll movements. There is nothing wrong with the story lines, hardness of the missions or the graphics. Its the interface to user problems, lack of hot keys and the slowness on many missions of view changes which often freeze entirely. Remember how they once said that C3 would feature degree by degree rotation of the exterior screens as the interior screens do?

And all those soldier waiting for us to kill will have to wait since too many missions are timed, ruining the enjoyment of going through the missions again and again to try them from different approaches as was possible in C2.

FullMoon
27th Oct 2003, 18:34
nooooooooooooooo :(

why why why

I don't understand how you can put a game on the market anno 2003 with a maximal resolution of 800*600?

Am I so out of the ordinary with my 1280*1024 TFT monitor? I loved playing C1 and C2 and imho C3 is a step backwards on the graphic side, it's not even nice to play with such a small area visible hope there's still a way to patch this problem, because as it stands I think many gamers will find this a big downside. The existing of this thread is already the biggest proof most gamers don't like what there's done with C3

I played the demo but with a resolution of 800*600 I'm not gonna buy this game, in a time where al games have resolutions that go to 1280*1024 or even higher, I find it rather a need that I can choose my resolution, I think most people do especially users with TFT monitors, we are getting punished because we have a monitor that has a native resolution and other resolutions look like crap on it but when it's in his native resolution kicks the crap out of a crt monitor picturequality

Xcom
28th Oct 2003, 17:28
I guess it's just that some exterior maps are too small to be played in higher resolutions. Otherwise you'd have blackness all around (like in an interior map). Take for example Train map. When resolution is high ( 1280 x smth), you can see past the boundaries of the map which is kinda ugly and ruins the feel:

Check the screenshot. (http://www.matrixrain.com/misc/screen1.jpg)

So, IMO, it's the matter of (questionable) level design rather than inability to set higher resolution ( which is of course nonsense).

Twitch
28th Oct 2003, 20:01
I unlocked the margines in the Comm3.cfg file and there's plenty of map left over before the black border starts.

WeinerMan
28th Oct 2003, 20:16
matter of (questionable) level design
personally, i would substitute shoddy for questionable and leave out the parens...

Xcom
28th Oct 2003, 21:58
Originally posted by Twitch
I unlocked the margines in the Comm3.cfg file and there's plenty of map left over before the black border starts.

Not all maps.

David
29th Oct 2003, 03:27
then what pyro artist were doing for nearly 2 years ? prolly were chasing bulls in the streets of madrid :D

WheresTheBeef
29th Oct 2003, 11:11
Originally posted by Xcom
I guess it's just that some exterior maps are too small to be played in higher resolutions. Otherwise you'd have blackness all around (like in an interior map). Take for example Train map. When resolution is high ( 1280 x smth), you can see past the boundaries of the map which is kinda ugly and ruins the feel:

Check the screenshot. (http://www.matrixrain.com/misc/screen1.jpg)

So, IMO, it's the matter of (questionable) level design rather than inability to set higher resolution ( which is of course nonsense).
Can you tell me what entries you edited to change the resolution? I'd at least like to try it in 1024x768.
Thanx

Xcom
29th Oct 2003, 14:01
See the post by WeinerMan above.
However, the word is that this no longer works with full version. My screenshot was from the demo.

semsudin
31st Oct 2003, 19:48
Originally posted by David
of course c3 runs much slower then c2, which i played on 640x320 ;) c2 on 800x600 was too slow for me :) but c3 is quite ok!
anyway i like c3 more then c2, for many reasons. it is harder, more fun, and more beautifull! and i will have to repeat a lot of levels too! there is a lot undead soldiers waiting for me ;)

Hej, have you 14" monitor. do you know how c3 looks on 19".
That's look like grid of cubes.

David
31st Oct 2003, 22:25
17'' and it looks perfectly fine!

semsudin
31st Oct 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by David
17'' and it looks perfectly fine!

Oh man, then you have some problems with eyes.

chainie
31st Oct 2003, 23:49
I have to agree with semsudin on this one.

Get_It
2nd Nov 2003, 04:05
if you put you screen resolution to 1152x864 on your Displayer Properties and play the game it looks like 1024x768.
Funny ins't it!?

David
2nd Nov 2003, 05:53
Originally posted by chainie
I have to agree with semsudin on this one.

nope..i am just not as critiquing as you are. just looked now! it looks perfectly fine. compared to c2 on same rez!
as long as there is a nazi throat to slice, i dont care about anything else :p

Apoc.dk
10th Nov 2003, 16:50
I have ordered C3 and now i will have to cancel the order! 800 x 600 - It's just not good enough! Its the reason I cant stand playing the demo! :mad:

I really dont know why they have done this, but i guess its because they have planed to make C3 for PS2, GC Etc. and why should they make a complete version for the consoles? No, they will make ONE, and release it for both PC and the consoles!

If thats the fact, then its quite silly! Commandos started on PC and that must be the highest priority, or what? :confused:

Conclusion: You have dissapointed a big 'Commandos' fan! :(

Mike_B
10th Nov 2003, 17:01
Originally posted by Apoc.dk
i guess its because they have planed to make C3 for PS2, GC Etc.

There are no plans whatsoever to release Commandos 3 on any of the consoles, that I know of.

Apoc.dk
10th Nov 2003, 17:21
Ok... Now i don't see any reasons for only making it playable in 800 x 600 rez, at all...

ragsy
11th Nov 2003, 00:27
Originally posted by Apoc.dk
Ok... Now i don't see any reasons for only making it playable in 800 x 600 rez, at all...

Thats Easy... Pyro's budget only allowed for 14" monitors for the development staff, so they thought 1024x768 was far too Tiny (if you'll pardon the pun)

WeinerMan
11th Nov 2003, 01:04
don't see any reasons
well, to many in here it seems like it but i'm sure they didn't do it just to piss you off. there's a reason, we just don't know it...

Apoc.dk
11th Nov 2003, 12:40
hehe ragsy ... Perhaps!? :rolleyes:

It could be cool if we could get some response from the C3 team...

louisfan
28th Mar 2010, 07:41
marked for later test

thanks WeinerMan

AndrewT
28th Mar 2010, 09:45
http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1047

wow, quiet an old tread! 6-7 years between 2 comments? :) btw, i copied this link from the FAQ tread, try it, if you want.

Nzap
29th Mar 2010, 20:02
http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1047

wow, quiet an old tread! 6-7 years between 2 comments? :) btw, i copied this link from the FAQ tread, try it, if you want.

And I was quite surprised of the horrible comments here.
Yes, it is (actually was for them) disappointing, but for me, the graphics don't really matter what game I'm buying. To cancel a game because of this is ludicrous.

AndrewT
30th Mar 2010, 06:59
i have to say, that the resource hacking has developed itself to a surprising level. and i'm not talking only about the commandos series. more and more rather old games are unofficially updated with high resolution patch and/or high definition textures. i remember the old blizzard classics, playing starcraft in 640x480, and diablo2 in 800x600. i have a quite old monitor, a 17" @ 1024x768, but they looked pretty bad and distorted, so i can imagine how could they look on a 22-24" @ 1920x1080 for example. shocking! but with hexediting these old classics can now fit larger monitors, making them available to be enjoyed almost a decade after their initial release. and i think this is important, and if the marketing gurus of the developer/publishing companies would realize the real importance of this, they should do it officially. update our old beloved games to make them competitive even in nowadays advanced technical environment.

imported_Green_Beret
25th Apr 2010, 01:58
Pyro studios must give us how to change the graphic option in this game...Or is there any way to change this on game script ?

anapurma
10th May 2010, 08:20
I was going to buy this game (http://findsurebet.com/baseball-odds.html) but after reading this topic I will abstain from buying.

Nzap
10th May 2010, 16:02
I'm sure you're just messing with our heads, cause no one in the entire world would not buy a game only because it doesn't 100% support your screen, and even so, the screen can be edited to put big black boxes on either side to fit 4:3 aspect ratio.