PDA

View Full Version : Poll: "Future War On Terror"

Sajentine
16th Oct 2003, 08:20
Vote wheather you think the slogan, "Future War On Terror", should be part of their marketing strategy or not.

Thanks

Sajentine

Leo
16th Oct 2003, 11:41
Unnecessary taglines make it harder to find a walkthrough or cheat for the game you are looking for, especially if the game is a sequel :)

Lawnboy360
16th Oct 2003, 12:43
That would be the subtitle, not the tagline.
Deus Ex 2 = Deus Ex Invisible War

Besides, they're already using the slogan in their printed ads.

Foten
16th Oct 2003, 13:50
Hmm... I think there should be a HEEEELL NO!!! option on the poll. :D
Oh and i think it should be named just: Deus Ex: Invisible War.

FliX
16th Oct 2003, 13:59
Originally posted by
Hmm... I think there should be a HEEEELL NO!!! option on the poll.
Oh and i think it should be named just: Deus Ex: Invisible War.

i agree fully there m8

Foten
16th Oct 2003, 14:02
well im not surprised. :cool:

FliX
16th Oct 2003, 14:10
Originally posted by Foten
well im not surprised. :cool:

:D

who needs long names, everyboday will talk about DXIW or DXII nobody will write

Deus Ex: Invisible War Future War On Terror

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 14:15
Who the hell voted for the tagline?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 15:09
it's a secret vote. if you don't belong to the conspiracy, you're not cleared to know that

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 15:39
Oh cool, democratic conspiracies.

FliX
16th Oct 2003, 19:53
Originally posted by Machinax

ill tell ya

*whisper* *whisper* *whisper* laugh *whisper* *whisper*

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 20:02
[giggle]

AlteredGlyph
16th Oct 2003, 20:42
*snickersnort*

Fuzz
16th Oct 2003, 21:07
this thread is a mess :D

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
20th Oct 2003, 08:56
yes, it reminds me when I was a lot younger, around 5 or 6 years old... (well, if you take the whole world domination conspiracy thing out.)

Tbone
22nd Oct 2003, 15:42
Machinax said:
And then Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames said:
it's a secret vote. if you don't belong to the conspiracy, you're not cleared to know thatWhat's your clearance anyway? Angel/0A?...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Oct 2003, 16:01
I'm not sure I'm cleared to be up there, anyway. but since I have a good firepower, they just let me (I hope)

Machinax
22nd Oct 2003, 16:06
Me, it was my devastating good looks.

Tbone
22nd Oct 2003, 16:10
I won't say anything, but I think you should go. :D

darklightning
23rd Oct 2003, 00:32
Originally posted by FliX
:D

I don't see what's so bad about the slogan, and why do you guys keep acting like it's the new title? Seriously, who writes the slogan when telling the name? Practically every game has a slogan of some sort and no one ever remembers it years later. For instance, the new game out Ghost Master... it's simply called Ghost Master, yet the slogan is "Excercise your demons", no one is going to say it's called "Ghost Master Excercise your demons".

Tenkahubu
23rd Oct 2003, 12:30
The (oh so obvious) difference is that the slogan in your example has no ties to any political parties or ideologies. The 'future war of terror' does, it has ties to George W Bush, who is regarded by most Europeans as a power-mad brutish oaf. In many people's eyes, the slogan 'war on terror' is considered a political smokescreen which allows the USA to invade any country it pleases.
Regardless of how you view GeorgeW and co, many people believe that a slogan which aligns itself with a politician is inappropriate for a game which should be trying to appeal to as many people as possible, especially as DX1 was remarkable in that it did not push one viewpoint, it challenged your existing viewpoint.
You may think that this is all irrelevant, you may think that people can choose not to buy the game if they do not like the slogan.
You may think that it is Eidos's business, not ours. However, if this game sells badly, it will mean less money for Ion-storm, which will mean less chance of Deus-ex 3, Thief 4 and many other great games being made.
Any one who considers themselves a fan of DX should care about that.

Foten
23rd Oct 2003, 15:32
Originally posted by Tenkahubu
The (oh so obvious) difference is that the slogan in your example has no ties to any political parties or ideologies. The 'future war of terror' does, it has ties to George W Bush, who is regarded by most Europeans as a power-mad brutish oaf. In many people's eyes, the slogan 'war on terror' is considered a political smokescreen which allows the USA to invade any country it pleases.
Regardless of how you view GeorgeW and co, many people believe that a slogan which aligns itself with a politician is inappropriate for a game which should be trying to appeal to as many people as possible, especially as DX1 was remarkable in that it did not push one viewpoint, it challenged your existing viewpoint.
You may think that this is all irrelevant, you may think that people can choose not to buy the game if they do not like the slogan.
You may think that it is Eidos's business, not ours. However, if this game sells badly, it will mean less money for Ion-storm, which will mean less chance of Deus-ex 3, Thief 4 and many other great games being made.
Any one who considers themselves a fan of DX should care about that.
I have only one word to say: Yeah!:cool:

Cyzada
23rd Oct 2003, 15:36
The other difference is that "Excercise your Demons" sounds a little interesting while "Future War on Terror" is just 100% lame.

darklightning
24th Oct 2003, 07:15
You both do have some good points... I can't imagine anyone not buying the game because of it, though who knows...There are always people who will surprise you. But... what SHOULD the tagline be? I mean, the game is all about "The future war on terror" I can't think of a better way to say that and even if Bush had never used the phrase, they still might have used it anyway. Oh well, nothing I say will effect their choice, and I'm going to buy the game no matter what the tagline is, so... it's really a moot point.

NamelessOne
24th Oct 2003, 08:15
How is the game all about "The future war on terror"? As I see it, its all about the corporations trying to gain as much power as they can get.

And the phrase would never have been used if it wasn't the tagline to Bush's War on Iraq.

And while I personally won't not but Deus Ex IW because of the slogan, what about someone who never played Deus Ex? I KNOW if I saw a dodgy slogan like that(on a game I haven't heard of), with a "gangsta style" guy with a gun on the cover of the game, I'd pass on buying it or even looking up information on it.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Oct 2003, 12:00
I have read on the Yahoo news that "shock and awe" is being registrated as a trademark for products for everything from toys to insect-killers, golf clubs, zippos, etc...

check here (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031023/od_uk_nm/oukoe_odd_shock_1)

I wondered how long it would take for other catchphrases/operation codes to become sales argument.

not that long apparently

/* Edit : spelling and added link */

darklightning
24th Oct 2003, 21:30
Originally posted by NamelessOne
How is the game all about "The future war on terror"? As I see it, its all about the corporations trying to gain as much power as they can get.

Granted, I don't know if I would buy it either if I didn't know any better. The first had been out for years before I even gave it a try and even then only because it was free (with a... sound card... I think). Now I'm hooked. So, yeah, I do agree that it may not be the best line, but I don't think it's absolutely terrible. Personally, I think a tagline that is a little more mysterious and ominous would be better, but...

To answer your first question, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your role in the new game as an anti-terror agent? At least at first? And isn't the game not only about corporations gaining power (which is through terrorism) but gaining power by stopping the terrorist acts of their rivals as well?

hakselsen
24th Oct 2003, 22:11
Yeah they probably justify the slogan in the game itself.

It still is one of the cheesiest slogans I've ever heard. I kind of blush on Eidos behalf every time I see it. It's that bad.

The Grimpond
24th Oct 2003, 23:02
Game good. Tagline bad.

NamelessOne
25th Oct 2003, 00:34
Originally posted by darklightning
Granted, I don't know if I would buy it either if I didn't know any better. The first had been out for years before I even gave it a try and even then only because it was free (with a... sound card... I think). Now I'm hooked. So, yeah, I do agree that it may not be the best line, but I don't think it's absolutely terrible. Personally, I think a tagline that is a little more mysterious and ominous would be better, but...

To answer your first question, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your role in the new game as an anti-terror agent? At least at first? And isn't the game not only about corporations gaining power (which is through terrorism) but gaining power by stopping the terrorist acts of their rivals as well?

I know the website says that they gain power through terrorism, but I wonder how that works?

Dropping bombs on innocents != making profit or gaining power

They probably define "terrorism" as corporate sabotage and espionage. Marketting is probably just using "Terrorism" as a buzzword to attract attention.

Tenkahubu
25th Oct 2003, 10:23
I thought 'future war on terror' was tasteless, but that 'shock and awe' thing is just plain sick. Who tries to sell baby toys off the back of a war? These people need to be locked away! Seriously.

Why did they have to put the tag in the screen-saver? I dont want to download it anymore. Humph.

darklightning
26th Oct 2003, 03:05
Originally posted by Tenkahubu
Why did they have to put the tag in the screen-saver? I dont want to download it anymore. Humph.

I have to admit, I was a little bothered that they included the taglines in the backgrounds... it kinda ruined them.

To respond to the other post, your probably right about the espionage terrorism, but it probably extends over other areas as well. I mean, Versalife started the plague to gain power becasue people depended on them, and the idea of terrorism is to cause people to fear and follow you. So... I don't really know. In the intro clip, the guy destroys the rival companies builidings, it wasn't targeted at the innocents, per se... though I think the city was pretty much gone afterwards.

Machinax
26th Oct 2003, 05:15
Granted, I'm no more knowledgable about the game than the rest of you here....but isn't one of the fundamental premises of the DX series the assertations that there are no absolutes? No blacks and whites, but grays (no pun intended?).

To contrast it, how does the first game start? With JC unquestioningly accepting and touting the line, "NSF bad, UNATCO good." Then, as we all know, that changed in due time.

With the "future war on terror" slogan for Invisible War, it gives the impression that there are clearly cut lines: that those guys over there are the terrorists, and we're the good guys out to kick their a-double-s.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. So if you play with the Omars the first time 'round, this would make the Templars, the Order, the WTO etc your enemies - the "terrorists", upon which you are waging this war. The next time you play, you side with the Order, and the Omar, the Templars and the WTO are your enemies. So who's the terrorist now? Sure, the replayability of the game isn't going to affect its linearity, but the point still remains that "future war on terror" does not describe what the original aspired to, and what the second has been hyped and hoped to aspire to.

darklightning
26th Oct 2003, 07:02
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. So if you play with the Omars the first time 'round, this would make the Templars, the Order, the WTO etc your enemies - the "terrorists", upon which you are waging this war. The next time you play, you side with the Order, and the Omar, the Templars and the WTO are your enemies. So who's the terrorist now? [/B]
Granted, you do have a point... but no matter what path you take, you will always be combating terror. It's all in the perspective.

forgotten
26th Oct 2003, 12:38
hey, i don't know if this means anything but when i went to pre-order Deus Ex IW on the official site, on the last two options, the site you go to shows a cover add of IW WITHOUT "futur war on terror" tagline

Lawnboy360
26th Oct 2003, 15:11
The tag-line usually isn't on the box, only in print ads and website. Besides, we can't know for sure what will be the final box art right now.

Machinax
26th Oct 2003, 19:09
Originally posted by darklightning
Granted, you do have a point... but no matter what path you take, you will always be combating terror. It's all in the perspective.

True. However, the connotations of "the future war on terror" establish that there is only one "right" perspective.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
27th Oct 2003, 09:01
I know the website says that they gain power through terrorism, but I wonder how that works?

easy : in time of crisis, governments / corporations / whoever holds power can more easily take decisions that would never have been considered as acceptable in normal times. (eg : invade another country without declaring war, increase army defensees, establish martial law, jail anyone "suspect of terrorism", without possibility of defense , etc)

Machinax
28th Oct 2003, 06:20
Book of the moment: 1984 by George Orwell.

NamelessOne
28th Oct 2003, 08:15

Great book... I wonder if games will ever reach that level of maturity. We've had attempts, like Planescape : Torment, SS 2, and Deus Ex, but I don't think they've quite done it.

But it seems that games are following the trend of the movie industry nowadays (teenie lowest common denominator watered down crap)...

Lets hope DX IW breaks the trend.

forgotten
28th Oct 2003, 12:04

God, thats the only book ive read that actually scared me when i finished it, Deus Ex did that to a lesser extent. Some experts say the next 50-100 years will determine if the human race will destroy itself...(eg by nuclear war)

REMF
28th Oct 2003, 13:25
leave it as it is, or don't have one at all.

REMF

Machinax
28th Oct 2003, 19:25
I love the comparisons between 1984 and Deus Ex. I still imagine the uniforms for the guards in the Ministry of Truth being that of Majestic-12 troops.

The_Illuminated
31st Oct 2003, 22:19
Great book... I wonder if games will ever reach that level of maturity. We've had attempts, like Planescape : Torment, SS 2, and Deus Ex, but I don't think they've quite done it.
I think That Call of duty has already broken that mold

Lawnboy360
1st Nov 2003, 23:35
I didn't play the game, but isn't Call of Duty yet another linear WWII shooter with even more "breathtaking" scripted events?

REMF
2nd Nov 2003, 15:21
yes, which is why i've never been able to play these worthy games, cos i don't like scripting where its possible to avoid it.

REMF

NamelessOne
3rd Nov 2003, 03:45
Originally posted by The_Illuminated
I think That Call of duty has already broken that mold

I haven't played it. I just assumed it would be similar to the 500 other war-themed shooters on the market, so I didn't bother to take a look at it. with it. What makes it so great? I'll give it a try if it sounds interesting....

AlteredGlyph
4th Nov 2003, 04:30
Call of duty is rather lame, to tell you the truth. It's kinda fun, and some of the effects are neat, but its just another WWII shooter, with no real original gameplay in it.

XGP
5th Nov 2003, 16:15
I registered to these forums just so i could partake in this poll...which says alot.

That horrible slogan taints the class Deus ex, and whoever decided to use it should be ashamed. :mad:

And I absolutley agree with NamelessOne, if i had no previous knowledge of what a great game Deus ex was, I wouldnt touch a game with such a distastfull slogan.

Evil corperations? I think "Versa Life" might be another word for "Eidos"

annihilating rage
5th Nov 2003, 16:44
I think you mis understand the war on terror part of DX:IW the slogan is Invisible War cause thats what it is not a war on terror

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
5th Nov 2003, 17:12
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/645080b.jpg

you can clearly see the "future war on terror" tagline

Lawnboy360
5th Nov 2003, 17:20
I think you mis understand the war on terror part of DX:IW the slogan is Invisible War cause thats what it is not a war on terror

uh?

Tenkahubu
5th Nov 2003, 17:41
LSDCD, where did you find that pic? It looks horribly final. Oh woe!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
5th Nov 2003, 17:55
well, first page of the thread "DX2 boxart" (still on the first page)

but I'm sure you can also find the tagline on the official website

jonaswakefieid
5th Nov 2003, 21:10
Originally posted by annihilating rage

The game is called Deus Ex : Invisible War.
Invisible War is the the subtitle (I know theres a better word for this but i cant think of it, help me out) not the slogan.
The Future was on terror is the current slogan. (and a pretty poor one if you ask me.)

Tinuz
5th Nov 2003, 21:13
Hmm, when i read it ( and i think most people with me ) i think of terrorism. But actually it means something else, because terror means "great fear" ( Something along those lines. ) . So what about that? would that be the true meaning.

End of ranting

jonaswakefieid
5th Nov 2003, 21:37
It didnt even occur to me that it could be talking about actual "terror" and not terrorism
.... stupid media brainwashing [grumbling]:mad:

Viking
9th Nov 2003, 00:39
...Oh dear God... tooo horrible... Saveur, you have confirmed all my worries. That picture is horrible!

Montial
9th Nov 2003, 00:57
Originally posted by FliX

Its not part of the name, its a slogan style thing. Like Homeworld 2, it has its name, and then it has 'you reclaimed your home, now reclam your destiny'.

Its just a catch thing. Invisible war might not bring in the customers that 'future war on terror' tagged on the end will.

Quite smart if you ask me.

Viking
9th Nov 2003, 17:34
Invisible war might not bring in the customers that 'future war on terror' tagged on the end will.

I disagree. If anything, it would probably turn people away. It's really that corny. That's just my opinion though. Besides, it's already been discussed in this thread.

EvilTape
23rd Dec 2003, 17:04
I dont think it matters. Some people may be offended by the "War on terror" tag, but not me

*gazes proudly* :D

Kerghan
23rd Dec 2003, 23:08
*cough* *cough* Using the terrible 9:11 event and recent middle eastern conflicts to sell a game *cough*

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure gives me that vibe anyway and therefore should not be used.

Dr3vil
24th Dec 2003, 21:43
PLENTY of games have already abused 9/11 six ways from sunday to scrounge up some extra sales, it's a tried and true marketing tactic. However, I like the idea of someone buying Deus Ex: IW expecting a middle east shoot-'em-up and being slapped in the face with moral relativism, so this is actually the one instance where I condone it.

angj57
29th Dec 2003, 05:55
i agree, the more money they get from people who buy the game thinking it will be about fighting osama types, the quicker deus ex 3 will come

Haethurn
31st Dec 2003, 20:33
Originally posted by angj57
i agree, the more money they get from people who buy the game thinking it will be about fighting osama types, the quicker deus ex 3 will come

I don't think there is going to be a Deus Ex 3. I don't think there should be, either. The endings in the game pretty much make it impossible for there to be a sequel without saying that some of the player's choices were "wrong."

It's a sad thing when people can not let go to a series and push the developer into making a sequel that doesn't live up to its predecessors.

Not only that, but it stifles creativity. Look at your game collection. How many of those games are sequels? Probably more than half.

I like how Deus Ex: Invisible War ended, and I don't want them to screw up the sense of closure by making another game to please all the folks who don't understand that making too many sequels just ruins a series. All of the greatest classics of literature didn't have any sequels, and just about the same is true of movies.

Jock
1st Jan 2004, 07:55
I would tend to agree that the tagline is horrible. I do flinch everytime i read it. But like the Rainbow Six ads on TV, it also makes it corny and less-serious. I hope that Deus Ex 3 will take place before deus ex 2

Kyadoshi
3rd Jan 2004, 08:31
Well, the only terror in the game is caused by the Templars. War against those guys? Other than that, it really doesn't have much to do with terror or terrorism.

Is Mako just not on that side of the gun? I thought it was on both sides.

TheFang
4th Jan 2004, 13:03
please don't hit me and correct me if its just preoccupation of an "outlander", but I suppose this whole "war on terror" crap is exactly what many Americans like to hear. I am not going into politics now, but you'll supposedly know what I mean.

DX: Invisible War is entirely enough.

Kerghan
4th Jan 2004, 16:11
Yea, some foolish Americans want to hear it. They defenitely thought the slogan would appeal to the masses, which is what DX:IW is all about though, right? As for DX3, I agree; it should be before IW, probably even the original. If it does take place in the future, it should be far, FAR in the future and just subtle give hints about the real ending of IW.

studen77
11th May 2004, 05:49
You know something, I wish a Deus EX mod were released, with bush as Manderley. Hell its the same thing regarding what's happening now. Lying their ***** of, conspiring to take over the world, anyone who fights UNATCO tyranny is dubbed "terrorist"..its a PERFECT analogy.

Kyadoshi
11th May 2004, 12:22
I've also noticed the same in starwars episode 2.
One guess as to which member of the Bush administration represents Senator Palpatine.