PDA

View Full Version : Holstering & Groups

auric
14th Oct 2003, 07:46
Can we holster our weapons?
So far I see that all screenshots showing a weapon being held out, even in places where theres no threats like

"infront of a kid" :confused:

Do Civilians runaway? :eek: when seeing a "pea shooter" right before their very eyes. Or just walk by ignoring or say,

"Hey, cool gun." :cool:
"Mommy, I want 1 too!." :mad:
"Ooh, look at him/her, he's/she got a gun." :o

:D

& about choosing sides, do we

1. Choose a side & stick to it till the end
2. Choose a side & still able to switch sides
3. Choose any sides but in the end ended up with a certain side

does anyone know anything about these 2 questions.

Thank You. :)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
14th Oct 2003, 07:58
Originally posted by auric
So far I see that all screenshots showing a weapon being held out, even in places where theres no threats like

"infront of a kid" :confused:

you could in DX1. I doubt they removed that in DX:IW. would make no sense

Do Civilians runaway? :eek: when seeing a "pea shooter" right before their very eyes. Or just walk by ignoring or say,

"Hey, cool gun." :cool:
"Mommy, I want 1 too!." :mad:
"Ooh, look at him/her, he's/she got a gun." :o

:D

again, i doubt they removed a logical feature that was already in DX1

& about choosing sides, do we

1. Choose a side & stick to it till the end
2. Choose a side & still able to switch sides
3. Choose any sides but in the end ended up with a certain side

does anyone know anything about these 2 questions.

Thank You. :)

it has been said you can switch sides anytime, since your ACTIONS determine the side you are with (the website said the "bad guys" and te "good guys" are more a function of what YOU choose than what the developper coded)

auric
14th Oct 2003, 08:01
Ok, but about in the end.? Would it force us to join a specific group?

Random
14th Oct 2003, 08:32
You would have to choose a specific faction at the end, I would think. There are four factions and four endings ...

As for holstering, I'm sure you can. But early in development they said that NPCs would not notice an exposed weapon. Apparently gamers didn't like that, but I can't understand which 'gamers' they were polling ... BUT this might have changed: there were screenshots on the old official site of NPCs cowering as the pistol was aimed at them. I really hope NPCs react to weapons.

Trollslayer
14th Oct 2003, 08:56
I think its silly to be able to switch sides anytime. A linear-progression game after you choose a side would probably be best in terms of replayability.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
14th Oct 2003, 09:39
hmm, it may not be easy to switch sides: the faction you betrayed earlier will need to be convinced before accepting you back.

and being able to switch side more than once would allow a greater replay time, I think

4 factions. if you can't switch, means 4 time replayable. lets give it a factor 5 for the different ways you can play it, that's 20 replays. (I'm being optimistic)

4 factions, you can switch sides 3 times, that's 64 way to replay the game (4*4*4). 320 if you play it differentl ways (ok, again optimistic)

and by the way, I thought there were 5 factions?

Random
14th Oct 2003, 12:47
From what I know, the main plot-driving groups are the WTO, The Order, the Templars, and JC's organisation. There might be more, but I haven't heard of them. There's Tarsus, but I don't think the player gets missions from them through the whole game. There's also stuff floating around about the Russian black market, but I don't think they're significant beyond selling you biomods.

That's just going by what I've read so far and could well be wrong. But since there are four endings, it stands to reason that they correspond to four factions.

auric
14th Oct 2003, 13:37
about biomods, they say black market mods can only be upgraded by black mkt mod upgrade, while normal mods with normal upgrades, this is ok,

But I hope they don't make the mods be different effectiveness too, example:

jumping, normal can go 40 feet, black market can only go 30 feet.

Having different ways to upgrade is challenging enough then to give it different stats. People might as well wtick to the originals.

:)

Quillan
14th Oct 2003, 14:07
Actually, I don't think the biomods are going to be duplicated. I think the black market biomods are going to give you abilities that you cannot get any other way, though they may have some drawbacks to it.

Trollslayer
14th Oct 2003, 15:59
Originally posted by auric
So far I see that all screenshots showing a weapon being held out

... which leads one to wonder, if no weapons were being shown, would people ask if we used weapons at all.

auric
14th Oct 2003, 16:06
Not nessecary, like I said theres lots of gun pics already, 1 or 2 or bit more non gun pics won't make people wonder if theres guns.

& there all type of signs about having guns other then this, pictures in the site it self, mentions of killing with guns, etc.

the thing thats more in question is holstering, because most games don't holster.

Gobzilla
14th Oct 2003, 22:48
Yes, you will be able to holster weapons. If just feels wrong to talk to a kid with a bead drawn right between his eyes.

Random
15th Oct 2003, 01:07
Originally posted by Gobzilla
Yes, you will be able to holster weapons. If just feels wrong to talk to a kid with a bead drawn right between his eyes.

Nice to see a developer here. :cool:

Dr Strangelove
20th Oct 2003, 19:34
Thank God for that - not being able to holster weapons would just seem SO wrong in places, + I think it's better if there are some kind of reactions whenever you get your weapon out. Maybe even if you could threaten people with it, say get sold stuff at better pricesw or even mug people in the street for cash - but then there should be consequences like cops soming after you or something.

Mind you, if it's like the first Deus Ex you're probably on another continent by the time the police knew anything had happened

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
21st Oct 2003, 08:39
think it's better if there are some kind of reactions whenever you get your weapon out.
there were, in DX1. so I think there will be, in DX:IW

crimson_stallion
31st Oct 2003, 07:55
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
you could in DX1. I doubt they removed that in DX:IW. would make no sense

again, i doubt they removed a logical feature that was already in DX1

it has been said you can switch sides anytime, since your ACTIONS determine the side you are with (the website said the "bad guys" and te "good guys" are more a function of what YOU choose than what the developper coded)

It's possible they may leave it out. Since its being co-built for xbox, they may consider it one less button to have to map.

crimson_stallion
31st Oct 2003, 07:57
Originally posted by Quillan
Actually, I don't think the biomods are going to be duplicated. I think the black market biomods are going to give you abilities that you cannot get any other way, though they may have some drawbacks to it.

I'm thinking that black market mods WILL give you unique ablities that you cant get from normal mods (perhaps somewhat sinister abilities).

The downside will probably be that good organisations (templars, etc) will look down on you if you use these augs.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
31st Oct 2003, 09:11
crimson_stallion, if you look at the screenshots on the official site, you will see that in a lot of them, you don't have your gun in hand.

(or was it on spygame? I'll try to find them)

Random
31st Oct 2003, 10:14
Or you could read Gobzilla's post, since he's a DXIW developer. ;)

Lawnboy360
31st Oct 2003, 14:17
Yeah, right, and I'm Warren Spector or whatever!

;)

crimson_stallion
13th Nov 2003, 01:29
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
crimson_stallion, if you look at the screenshots on the official site, you will see that in a lot of them, you don't have your gun in hand.

(or was it on spygame? I'll try to find them)

Just noticed that myself :) sorry