PDA

View Full Version : There had beter be a Dragon tooth in the game.

Jock
13th Oct 2003, 19:14
There has to be. It was the best weapon of the first game, it better reappear.

Trollslayer
13th Oct 2003, 20:12
Well it certainly was the best melee weapon, though not certainly the best weapon of all. And unless Ion Storm is planning on having more Triads and such, i can't imagine a reason for it, or a variation of it, appearing again.

gareis
13th Oct 2003, 20:39
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Well it certainly was the best melee weapon, though not certainly the best weapon of all. And unless Ion Storm is planning on having more Triads and such, i can't imagine a reason for it, or a variation of it, appearing again.

Dragon's Tooth swords were being mass-produced by the triads and by VersaLife. I think the technology has gotten out, defenses against it have been made, and it's not as effective against higher-level foes. Your average Joe, however, would still go down without trouble.

I think the new riot prod looks great. How 'bout youse?

Picasso
13th Oct 2003, 20:41
Recent previews have mentioned a nano-sword. I'd imagine it's like the DT, plus a few generations.

I don't think they should, or will, bring back the exact same weapon, though.

Trollslayer
13th Oct 2003, 20:58
Originally posted by gareis
Dragon's Tooth swords were being mass-produced by the triads and by VersaLife. I think the technology has gotten out, defenses against it have been made, and it's not as effective against higher-level foes.

I thought the technology had been given to both, so that no side could win, but i don't remember mass production of it being hinted at... hmm. I can always go play the game again, though, nothing better than that to make certain ;)

Originally posted by Picasso
Recent previews have mentioned a nano-sword. I'd imagine it's like the DT, plus a few generations.

I don't think they should, or will, bring back the exact same weapon, though.

A shame, that. I thought Ion Storm would get over the "coolness" factor of it and move on. *sigh* Still, i can only hope the sword will be less bulkier. Perhaps more katana-like.

And the new riot prod looks good. Stunning people... with shock and style ;)

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 23:07
Useful as though the DTS was, it reminded me too much of a lightsaber for me to revel in it. Not that I have anything against Star Wars, but... ah, it's hard to explain. Suffice to say, if it's not included in DX:IW, I'll miss the ease with which I could dispatch hostiles, but nothing else.

I mean, there was nothing better than creeping behind Men/Women in Black, commandos, karkians, greasles or grays, one "swoosh" and where's the beer? I remember being so relieved when it came to commandos - those guys scared the living FFFF out of me when I first encountered 'em.

Random
13th Oct 2003, 23:29
From the website:

When subtle methods fail, fall back on a lethal array of close and long range weaponry; stun prod, energy blade, grenades, bolt caster, shotgun, sniper rifle, and the rocket launcher w/ cam-guided missiles.

Jock
14th Oct 2003, 01:27
But its not an energy blade. Its a sword that is costructed by nanites to be super sharp and tough. So, its just a sword.

Random
14th Oct 2003, 08:27
Given Deus Ex's focus on nanotechnology, I would highly surprised if the energy blade is not nanite-related.

Edit: like Picasso said, I'm pretty sure they've referred to it as a nano-sword in interviews.

Coyote
14th Oct 2003, 16:17
Yeah, definitely a great weapon. I replayed just to get it in my inventory and keep w/me for later missions.

I hope they have something equally cool but different so I can explore it too. New things intrique me more than than those already known. But it will be hard to match or top the DTS.

Gobzilla
14th Oct 2003, 22:38
Beneath the blue ice,
Hong Kong memory made real;
Tooth of Dragon waits.

blackeye
14th Oct 2003, 23:01
nice haiku !

(maybe something for a competition on this forum: make a DX haiku !!!)

Random
15th Oct 2003, 01:18
Originally posted by Gobzilla
Beneath the blue ice,
Hong Kong memory made real;
Tooth of Dragon waits.

Does that mean it's in Antarctica?

Bystander
15th Oct 2003, 15:28
Blue Ice... so it drops out of the toilets of planes flying overhead?

Grey Mouser
15th Oct 2003, 18:21
Originally posted by Trollslayer

Still, i can only hope the sword will be less bulkier. Perhaps more katana-like.

Much as I enjoyed using the Dragons Tooth, it did look like a chunky over-sized kitchen knife. Something a bit more...elegant would be good.

Alai
16th Oct 2003, 20:28
You mean like that samurai sword from the movie Kill Bill? woot!

AlteredGlyph
16th Oct 2003, 20:41
Alai, a "samurai sword" is more formally known as a katana. The only real reason I'm posting this is because I'm frustrated with people who just keep calling it a "samurai sword." And... nice name. Enders game and the whole series rock.

Loki-009
16th Oct 2003, 20:43
DX 2 Haiku

Among a dense crowd.
an enemy awaits.
life taken by fate.

DX 1 Haiku

human life worth risks.
but conspire against them.
though death takes its toll.

Xenon
17th Oct 2003, 17:29
Under a glass dome,
Ignorant of his future,
Alex Denton rests.

Well, that's as much as a theoretical physics student can write.
And, yes, this might not have been exactly a dome.

BigWig
18th Oct 2003, 05:47
If they are making a new sword (which had better be true) they really should make sword fights, that way you dont have to run from a guy with a sword until you reload or somethin...

and also they should make it so that you can have fist-fites or kick someone will sword dueling...

kris211
20th Oct 2003, 00:10
Originally posted by Machinax
I remember being so relieved when it came to commandos - those guys scared the living FFFF out of me when I first encountered 'em. [/B]

Damn straight. They would scare the hell out of me, what with all that messed up armor. The Templar cathedral was the worse: i HATED when they'd sneak up on me and blow me to kingdom come with their rockets and machine guns :eek:

auric
21st Oct 2003, 05:52
Who knows, maybe they will make actual lightsabers in DX:IW

Its not only a good weapon, but also a good unlimited light source. But at a short range