13th Oct 2003, 15:01
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009WDLD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

looks quite **** IMO.

Even the first one is 10X better:

http://www.delos.fantascienza.com/delos60/img/interazioni/deus-ex.jpg

I am deeply disappointed

blackeye
13th Oct 2003, 16:01
yes, not that i am dissapointed :D, but i also liked the deus ex box more ... it had a special feel about it, something mysterious, it resambled the atmosphere of deus ex (although you have to play it before you can know it resambles the amosphere :D)

but the box fron IW just shows a character ... maybe if they had boxes with different characters that would be cool, so you could choose the character that you would like to play most !
that also would count for 'immersion points' :cool:

Fuzz
13th Oct 2003, 19:07
dude, the guy on the IW box looks crap

whats with the super glowing eyes? I mean, if I saw somebody with glowing eyes I'd know straight away if he was augmented. That is highly overdone. And look at his hair! Looks like something out of Final Fantasy :rolleyes:

Jock
13th Oct 2003, 19:12
If i were ever to get a tatto, it would be of the Deus Ex symbol. Why are they leaving it behind? it rocks.

Fuzz
13th Oct 2003, 19:15
the big pistol in-your-face kinda makes the game seem like a pure FPS to a person that doesn't know about Dx

Trollslayer
13th Oct 2003, 20:10
I don't see a problem with it. DX1 was more low profile, the box art was more honest, and more to the point. DX:IW is being more mediatized, and being released on two distinct platforms, with different consumer bases. The design of the IW box art is fitting. Can't say i like it, but i can say its on par with the more technological, futuristic aspect of it, and the market its going to. There are far more important things to worry about than box art.

But going as far as claiming its **** or crap, i won't do it. Thats a lack of respect for people's work, no matter how one dislikes it.

Lawnboy360
13th Oct 2003, 21:24
That may not be the final box art, maybe just something online retailers/print ads can show for the pre-order. Tons of games have those "pre-order box".

And if you look on the official site, you'll see that this image is an old version of that artwork :
http://www.dxinvisiblewar.com/downloads/01DX_Wallpaper_800x600.jpg

TehFreak
13th Oct 2003, 21:29
why does a simple pistol have to be so bulky?

Trollslayer
13th Oct 2003, 22:04
Originally posted by TehFreak

Well its already known that the pistol's alternate fire mode is a flashlight. Not only that, one of the upgrades is a mod that metls glass. I think that makes the pistol become a little more bulky. On that image above (which is my PC's desktop background, BTW :D ), the lower part i believe houses the modification. Im saying this because the lower part seems fitten in, it conveys a feeling that it can be removed. Some pistols have a laser sight fitted above, others below, like in the image. Example:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001298/sig-pro-pistol.jpg

http://www.galleryofguns.com/Shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001298/pp-laser-sight.jpg

Meanwhile the upper part also seems made to let something be fitted in it as well (possibly a target sight?).

http://www.angelfire.com/space/kaboom/photos/87target_sight_in.jpg

Like that.

Possibilities, possibilities...

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 22:22
Originally posted by TehFreak

'cause it looks cooler.

Personally, I don't much care for the box cover, either. I remember DX:IW being hyped as a game where you could play the whole thing through without firing a single bullet. That this game made the player re-examine the consequences of violence. That this would be no ordinary FPS. How're these points put across? With the main character emblazoned on the cover, pointing a huge sidearm at the viewer. That, with that "future war on terror" slogan...

Ei, yiy yiy yiy.

TheDerf
13th Oct 2003, 22:29
Meanwhile the upper part also seems made to let something be fitted in it as well (possibly a target sight?)...or maybe the shell casing ejector.:p

That first boxart of Deus Ex 2 blew. I really hope they don't use that one. The second one... eh. It's an improvement, but it's not as cool as...
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Oct/200310139948975891292585.jpg
...which is what they should be shooting for.

Fuzz
13th Oct 2003, 22:37
Originally posted by Machinax
'cause it looks cooler.

Personally, I don't much care for the box cover, either. I remember DX:IW being hyped as a game where you could play the whole thing through without firing a single bullet. That this game made the player re-examine the consequences of violence. That this would be no ordinary FPS. How're these points put across? With the main character emblazoned on the cover, pointing a huge sidearm at the viewer. That, with that "future war on terror" slogan...

Ei, yiy yiy yiy.

exactly! and this "future war on terror" stuff sounds like they are using the whole 9/11 terror issue do advertise the game :rolleyes:

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 22:43
The boxart for the first game screams "cool, 1337, rawk", etc. To me, the second is more, "bleh and ugh".

Fuzz
13th Oct 2003, 22:47
not only that, the box art in the first looks professional and mysterious, totally excellent with the background as well.

Look at the character in the old and the new one. The old guy oozes leetness, while the new one is some teen punk with funky hair and a happy trigger-finger :mad:

{RainmakeR}
13th Oct 2003, 22:53
Yeah, I hate the new box art also, ick! He looks *stupid*... :( that spikey haired freak has got to go, he looks like some sort of crack head compared to JC's coolness (LOVED his sunnies, and the DX1 box art). If I had to choose though from current artwork for Alex, it'd have to be this wallpaper from the official site:

http://www.dxinvisiblewar.com/downloads/02DX_Wallpaper_800x600.jpg

MUCH better... no comparison to that other spikey freak. :)

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 22:54
[voice of uber-German scientist in Versalife] Exactly, exactly.

{RainmakeR}
13th Oct 2003, 22:58
Originally posted by Fuzz
Look at the character in the old and the new one. The old guy oozes leetness, while the new one is some teen punk with funky hair and a happy trigger-finger :mad:

Not only that, but it's really against the whole principle of the game... the essence of it. I mean, sure, perhaps they are trying to make it look like that to attract the shoot shoot die die kill kill FPS head to it, but portraying Alex as some punk with a pistol in a gangsta hold to your face is not necessarily representative of how WE play the game... i.e. pasifist or stealth play. I'm very disappointed with that cover, and I really hope they ditch it.

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 23:01
Originally posted by {RainmakeR}
Not only that, but it's really against the whole principle of the game... the essence of it. I mean, sure, perhaps they are trying to make it look like that to attract the shoot shoot die die kill kill FPS head to it, but portraying Alex as some punk with a pistol in a gangsta hold to your face is not necessarily representative of how WE play the game... i.e. pasifist or stealth play. I'm very disappointed with that cover, and I really hope they ditch it.

Same here. I think Eidos is trying to attract a younger audience to the game, hence Alex looking younger and more "hipper" than JC, and yes, also hence the emphasis on guns.

Lawnboy360
13th Oct 2003, 23:05
They should probably try to appeal to the type of gamer who are actually interested in a game like DX, not try to attract the shooter crowd. Gamers who are into more "complex" games will probably not be attracted by that kind of art. :(

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 23:10
Gamers who are into more "complex" games would probably already know about DX and DX:IW. Eidos, like I said, probably wanted to make this more mainstream by making it more "hip". I can only hope the game itself doesn't look like the box.

Jeez....we're sounding like a forlorn bunch of Metallica fans.

{RainmakeR}
13th Oct 2003, 23:13
LOL... I dunno, I'm passionate about it, I guess. DX was in my top five games of all time, if not THE top. Of course we want the sequel to live up to our huge expectations. :) Also, DX to me was one of the first true 'adult' games (and not that other kind of adult ;)), i.e. where you have to think about your actions and their consequences and such. Nearly every FPS game I've played since DX has been a disappointment because I keep comparing them. :(

Lawnboy360
13th Oct 2003, 23:14
Ok then, we'll buy DXIW and be happy as the game isn't like the box art anyway, and the people who buy it because of the box art will bring more money for DX3 and maybe they'll discover how good games can be, or something. Everyone's happy now. ;)

Machinax
13th Oct 2003, 23:30
....wow.

Machinax
14th Oct 2003, 00:02
Why not use that great picture of the male and female characters against the chipboard background from the intro? I'm thinking that way, they could better appeal to female gamers as well.

http://www.game-radio.net/artikel.php?right=pre_deusex2&news_id=80

{RainmakeR}
14th Oct 2003, 00:08
Great idea! And it has sex appeal also. :)

Machinax
14th Oct 2003, 00:09
Big boobs = always good.

Well, not always, but they can't hurt.

{RainmakeR}
14th Oct 2003, 00:16
Sure big boobs can hurt! (if she beats you around with them!) ;)

gareis
14th Oct 2003, 00:30
How about Alex and Billie standing back-to-back with guns in their hands, ambiguous as to whether they're facing off in a duel or guarding each other's backs, in the glow of JCDenton looking down on them, all in those ubercool muted blues?

{RainmakeR}
14th Oct 2003, 00:33
I like it! Probably minus JC though...

TheDerf
14th Oct 2003, 00:42
I say they go for another urban landscape. Maybe Alex standing in the middle of a crowd in a market, ouside of a club, etc. with people from all over the game forming the crowd. If two people are from opposing groups, like.. they'll be looking at each other funny, and maybe in the process of drawing their weapons, or something like that. Alex will be standing in the middle with a half angry, judging look on his face. Add some mechanical what nots all around to give the game the futuristic look. Put some cool blue stuff here and there...

What do you guys think?

Machinax
14th Oct 2003, 00:51
Interestingly enough, I checked the Eidos page and all the other "trusted" game sites I could think of, but none of them showed the cyber-hip-punk kid pointing the gun down at the screen as the official box cover.

To, uh, whoever created this thread, could you tell me where you got this information from?

Lawnboy360
14th Oct 2003, 00:57
EBGames
http://images.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/224171x.jpg

Amazon
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009WDLD.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

GoGamer (obviously a placeholder box design)
http://www.gogamer.com/isroot/GoGamer/SiteImages/Quickbuy/DeuxEx2.jpg

Gamestop
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/645080b.jpg

Best Buy
http://images.bestbuy.com:80/BestBuy_US/images/products/6012/6012076.jpg

EDIT: on Best Buy's image you can see the game is rated "M for Mature" instead of "Rating Pending" for other images. This part of the box is covered in EBGames' image.

Random
14th Oct 2003, 01:00
Yah, Fuzz, you've been going on a crusade across the entire internet about this, but we don't even know if that's the box art. :p

I hope the one at Amazon is not the official one, and with two months still to go before release there's no reason why it would be the absolute final version.

Machinax
14th Oct 2003, 01:12
I remember the picture from GoGamer being the first I ever saw of anything DX:IW related. It looked like an MJ12 Commando who lost his machine gun/rocket launcher.

Still does, actually. If ever I see one of those guys in the game, I'll always expect him to say, "Bandit! He's close!".

But anyway, let's hope that Eidos chooses a better image to market the game. You'd figure that since these are the official Eidos boards, some corporate exec would be secretly, silently perusing threads like these, taking notes, and then sending his report to Mander-- uh, someone.

Fuzz
14th Oct 2003, 08:51
Originally posted by Random
Yah, Fuzz, you've been going on a crusade across the entire internet about this, but we don't even know if that's the box art. :p

yah I was fired up man :D

I'm a bit calmer today though :D

El Padrino
15th Oct 2003, 06:33
Why does Alex look like a vampire "gangsta?"

Well, if you ask me, that terrorist holding up a nanite detonator in the middle of Chicago before setting it off (front view so you can sorta see his hooded face) would make better box art than a punk-rockin', undead Denton. It would, of course, have to have a blue tint like DX1's box. Tradition and all that...

The pic of Alex on the old Deus Ex site would be a whole lot better as well, in my opinion. Lots of things would be better than the box art in the first post.

James Warren
15th Oct 2003, 13:11
That, Lawnboy360, is the very box cover that I saw in the store at Best Buy. The box contains a "T" shirt with the same picture of that spike haired punk pointing the pistol with the careless sideways grip of a hip hop moron.

To "Old man Warren" this says, "I'm far too cool and above your values to hold this lethal weapon with the respect and care of a trained and disciplined police-agent but it's good enough to pop a cap in YOUR ass... BEAUCH!"

It also removes the "God" in "God from the machine" and any subtlety or mystery about what might be in the game story. The original cover had JC aspiring to or receiving inspiration from the heavens. That perhaps is thought to be too subtle to appeal to the socially retarded 13 year old boys today who prance about in the oversized, sloppy, "up-yours" prison garb with their pants hanging below their buttocks. (Is this social horror operating in Europe as well?)

I can only hope that the box art does NOT reflect game content. This is disappointing and actually rather depressing to me. I had the impression from every interview I have read by Warren Spector that this new game would appeal even more to my 28 year old daughter (also a fan of Deus Ex) than the previous game did. This box art certainly won't.

Machinax
15th Oct 2003, 14:34
Tough words, Warren, but I agree completely.

And I also agree with El Padrino that the picture of Alex on the original DX:IW site would've been better. Damnit, anything would be better than the cyberhippunkgangsta.

IconoclastDX
15th Oct 2003, 20:09
All I can say is that immaturity with money ruins everything for the rest of us.

But ive got an Idea. They can have 2 box designs.

1. An annoyingly flamboyant one to put on the xbox cover which would appeal to the early teen, american idol crowd.

2. And a more subtly engaging cover for the PC which would, at the very least, not detract from the game.

Now Im not saying if you own an xbox you watch american idol. sheesh.

Lawnboy360
15th Oct 2003, 20:15
That's a possibility. I remember Serious Sam had a very different box art on the XBox than on the PC, but it was published at a different time by a different publisher. There's probably other examples but I can't remember.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004ZB7P.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007B77T.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Fuzz
15th Oct 2003, 20:47
I guess at this point its safe to say that the first pic I posted is not confirmed to be the box, although IMO that design should never even surfaced from IS/eidos. I think that between now and the shipment of Dx2 Ion will get the message that that particular box art sucks heavily.

I'm almost sure that the final box art will be better than this one :)

Lawnboy360
15th Oct 2003, 21:41
Ion will get the message that that particular box art sucks heavily.

Publishers(Eidos) usually take decisions like the box art; not the developer(Ion Storm). A Troika Games dev posted on a forum that nobody on the team liked the box art Atari chose for The Temple of Elemental Evil, but there was not much they could do about it. It's probably different only for developers such as Blizzard or Valve, who can also choose their release date without being pushed by the publisher.

AINTD
15th Oct 2003, 22:20
Hello everybody, I'm new to the boards and this is my first post.

I agree with the majority on that any of the box covers for DX:IW featuring that guy with glowing eyes and a huge pistol does not make justice to the game itself.

I believe the one from DX was ingenius. The right colors, the right style thus a great atmoshpere was created by just a simple picture. And it reflected the game's nature quite accurately.

I don't like these particular renders because they went more on a cartoony and "warmer" side. Alex, just as JC is an augmented agent, he's not supposed to have any emotions nor feelings expressions on his face. There should be a calm, indifferent and slightly philosophical look on it. And JC's portrait on original cover had it.

This guy looks a bit annoyed and a bit evil ... why?

They should make a cover which would feature some sub-meaning or feel to it (like DX did). Maybe Alex standing at the edge of a roof top of a skyscraper and looking down at the city at night and under falling rain. With similar expression as JC did looking up to the light, here Alex would be looking down into the darkness. I don't know ... make something creative, not a cool "all business" stud pointing "uber-gun" at you.

P.S. Please, do not judge all X-Box owners by the same criteria. I happen to own one and will be purchasing DX:IW for it because I'm not planning to throw out on the wind a few thousand dollars to get the ultimate computer now. I deeply love and respect the 1st DX game (which I played on PC) and also anticipate the 2nd one for it's noir (hopefully) style and look and immersive world/gameplay.

IconoclastDX
15th Oct 2003, 22:38
LOL El Padrino.

"Punk-rockin' undead Denton". Ive been trying to nail a discription of that new denton pic and couldnt quite put my finger on it.

You know, I actually feel bad about disin' the new art because the artist obviously has some MAJOR talent. Especially with textures.

Random
16th Oct 2003, 00:22
I doubt the decision has anything to do with the Xbox, because apparently the average age of PC and Xbox gamers is pretty much the same.

I don't see what's wrong with this one:

Looks pretty cool, in my opinion. Attractive, subtle, easy on the eyes.

gareis
16th Oct 2003, 00:50
That is likely the best of them. Still, I think most of us would greatly prefer a style similar to the original one. It was...engaging, a hint of mystery, a bit of the style of the game reflected on the box. It was...sad, but that's not the right word. Contemplative. As if he had to make a nasty choice and was thinking it over.

I'm probably reading way too much into it. But it definitely has that slightly wistful air to it.

Random
16th Oct 2003, 01:17
There's a magazine ad done in the style of DX1's box art. Alex looks a bit gruff, though. (http://home.comcast.net/~durandal07/Dx2PcG1.png) ;)

Lawnboy360
16th Oct 2003, 01:23

Indeed, it's not that bad, and way better than the other one. And it's on much more sites than the other one, which is only on amazon.

Kenji
16th Oct 2003, 03:55
I guess at this point its safe to say that the first pic I posted is not confirmed to be the box, although IMO that design should never even surfaced from IS/eidos. I think that between now and the shipment of Dx2 Ion will get the message that that particular box art sucks heavily.

I'm almost sure that the final box art will be better than this one :)

No no Fuzz. Don't try to defuse the situation now *slams his fist on his desk* The art is geared towards the typical idiot gamer these days *hits monitor* I hate it!!! hate it!!!!

:cool: Actually I don't give a sh.. uh. damn about the box art, as long as the game isn't some no brainer shoot'em up fps like the art suggests. I do beleive it's just a marketing ploy. Let them sell, more sales = more support and more sequels. Keep'em coming.

El Padrino
16th Oct 2003, 04:56
There's a magazine ad done in the style of DX1's box art. Alex looks a bit gruff, though. (http://home.comcast.net/~durandal07/Dx2PcG1.png) ;)

If I ever saw that in stores, I might hesitate to buy the game. Irrational, I know, since so far it seems to be shaping up to be a great game, but that box art... I don't know. I shouldn't make a big deal about it (but I will because I don't want to study for my midterm just yet).

Perhaps they can do what Blizzard did with Warcraft III, and have 4 different boxes, with 4 different tag lines. It'll be sort of be a marketing experiment.

One can be one of those awful ones with the more appropriate tag line: "In the future war on terror, how will you rock your way though the hood, G?"

The male and female Alex variants could have their own box (for some reason my mind is being flooded with very inappropriate but funny, at least to me, tag lines for the female version). And since there just has to be a fourth one, my nanite detonator terrorist idea would, of course, have to be one of the boxes.

Think about it, what better way to emphasize the power and importance of nanotechnology in relation to the game than to have the terrorist guy on it somehow, holding the nanite detinator up in a Statue of Liberty type pose. It's certainly a better idea than clothing with a purple glow.

Of course, if you just have to have a Denton on it, which is probably a better idea but I don't want to think about that right now, you could have a close up (mid chest and up) of him/her (or both) standing in some crowded city at night, with loads of people behind them in the same direction to in a small but effective way make a big deal about how only his/her/their eyes are glowing. Those black helicopters or flying security bots can be in there somewhere. And if it has to have a gun in it, just "zoom out" have him/her/them hold hold a mid-sized automatic rifles or something, a little away from their leg (as in not holding it chest level). Then tint it blue, and there you go.

Anything other than the first box and the one I replied to, please. They are physically painful to look at. Why has his hair been screwed with like that, anyway? The first Denton had a professional look. Is the Tarsus Academy churning out a new generation of biomoded hipsters?

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 06:08

That picture is just plain hideous. In addition to that, it's still got the damn "war on terror" line.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 07:33
yeah, this picture is a little too colored. too full, maybe. (If you don't understand what I'm saying, translate it in french, then in proper english)
besides, why is the a fire in the background? (did you see fire anywhere in the trailer?)

El Padrino
16th Oct 2003, 08:03
Maybe this hideous looking Denton is what he looks like after taking that one biomod that lets him heal himself with dead bodies. Ann Rice's vampires get really screwed over after feeding off the dead; and one of them is even a rockstar.

I think my theory adequately explains Alex's punk rockin' undead look.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 08:52
that, or too much bioenergy in one biocell. he shouldn't have bought it on the black market

El Padrino
16th Oct 2003, 08:58
too much bioenergy just causes unpleasant electrical or burning sensations behind the eyes. according to Jamie Reyes, anyway.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 10:10
OK, let's say He tried to reload his batteries by putting his fingers in the plug

Random
16th Oct 2003, 12:18
Are we forgetting that JC's eyes also glowed? ;) His were just hidden behind sunglasses, but I assume nanotech is more widespread 20 years later and no one is freaked out by cyborg anymore.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 13:01
I think it was specified that JC kept his glasses because his eyes were 'intensely blue'. (maybe so people won't pay attention to him). does this mean they glow?

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 14:22
Paul's eyes glowed, but he never wore glasses.

Fuzz
16th Oct 2003, 15:38
I'd say they were intensely blue, but I don't think they actually glowed. I mean, if Paul/JC was hiding in the shadows, do you think you'd be able to spot him by the pair of blue/violet glowing eyes? Nah.

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 15:40
NSF Terrorist: I saw somebody...maybe just a homeless guy. But damn, he's got some blue eyes on him.

Lawnboy360
16th Oct 2003, 16:28
I'd say they were intensely blue, but I don't think they actually glowed.

Maybe the engine couldn't do it.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Oct 2003, 17:13
NSF Terrorist: I saw somebody...maybe just a homeless guy. But damn, he's got some blue eyes on him.

hmmm through the sunglasses? that would be shining eyes, not glowing

Machinax
16th Oct 2003, 18:58
.... it was a joke.

Amazon Warrior
16th Oct 2003, 20:26
Perhaps they can do what Blizzard did with Warcraft III, and have 4 different boxes, with 4 different tag lines. It'll be sort of be a marketing experiment.
On the theme of having several different covers to appeal to different 'types' of gamer, they could do something similar to what Lionhead did with black&white. They had two different box covers, one white, one black. Since it has been suggested that there will be several different factions to side with in the game, each box could represent the fundamental character of a faction. Though that would be 5 (I think) different covers, and might be too complex from a marketing point of view (B&W's cover was reversible, so you could switch it round to suit your mood).

But I would like to see something a bit more intellectual. If I want to cover walls with blood, I'll go and play HL2. I was the kind of person who stunned people if possible, and didn't kill the drug dealer or Lebedev, just 'cos someone told me to. And I had an unbreakable policy of non-violence towards civilians, even hostile ones.

JackDaniels
17th Oct 2003, 00:04
I would love to see the original DX symbol on the IW box. Im so amped about this game. I just hope alex > JC, which will be so hard to do, so my expectations are through the roof.

Random
17th Oct 2003, 01:09
Originally posted by JackDaniels
I would love to see the original DX symbol on the IW box. Im so amped about this game. I just hope alex > JC, which will be so hard to do, so my expectations are through the roof.

I wouldn't mind if this were the only thing on the box. I think the Jedi Outcast/Academy boxes are some of the best I've seen because it's only the single logo on a black background.

Mythrander101
17th Oct 2003, 03:20
Yeah, I agree. The new box art is a piece of ****! (Tho, I do apprecieate the effort by the artist(s))

I'd be more prone to picking up the origional DE box, instead of this one if they were side-by-side on the store shelf. More mystery to the origional.

By: Jock

If i were ever to get a tatto, it would be of the Deus Ex symbol. Why are they leaving it behind? it rocks.

I agree. I think they should have kept the symbol, it rocked!

Mythrander101

oceanskie
18th Oct 2003, 06:05
use the similar colour scheme as they did in dx1 but rather than showing alex (male or female), put a line of black figures standing on the horizon with glowing eyes and then use the quote "...we have cells in human bodies...an invisible weapon in an invisible war" to fill the lower half of the cover. the background would still be buildings and choppers but there should b evidence that it is seattle, which is where the story starts off.

Mythrander101
19th Oct 2003, 00:10
That sounds cool!

Mythrander101

cneal
19th Oct 2003, 06:20
Final Fantasy :rolleyes: [/B]
lol. I have a bad feeling about this.

ZenStrata
19th Oct 2003, 12:24
The punk gangster look definatly is Terrible. It scares me quite a bit. Its not really the character thats bad. its the pose he is in and the gun shoved in our faces. The image it portrays doesn't match the game at all. at least I hope it doesn't or I may have to reconsider my decision to purchase this particular title.....

The first box art was very fitting. They should go for something like that. Also the augmentations are more widespread but they are still considered a rarity. I imagine most of them would still try to hide thier abilities. How are you supposed to fight an invisible war if everyone knows you are one of the warriors by your glowing eyes? Sunglasses would seem to be a requisite. Or at least an optional extra for helping to blend in with the rest of humanity when needed.

Random
19th Oct 2003, 13:29
I think nanoaugmented people have probably been around for a while in DX:IW's timeline. It was just starting to be introduced in DX1 and this is 20 years later. I'm hoping we'll come across other nanoaugmented people in the game. Since there's an entire black market dealing in nanotech, I'd imagine lots of undesirables have access to it. ;)

Fuzz
19th Oct 2003, 14:07
I think nanoaugmented people have probably been around for a while in DX:IW's timeline. It was just starting to be introduced in DX1 and this is 20 years later. I'm hoping we'll come across other nanoaugmented people in the game. Since there's an entire black market dealing in nanotech, I'd imagine lots of undesirables have access to it. ;)

true, but the character on the box art should feature somebody more sophisticated then a young punk who got his hands on some black market nano-tech.

Random
19th Oct 2003, 14:39
I don't disagree with that, but I think the 'punk' thing comes from the way he's holding the gun, not from his physical appearance.

The thing to remember is that Alex is young. Tarsus, the organisation s/he belongs to at the start of the game, is a school. From what I gather from the website, Tarsus picks out gifted people and trains them into covert agents. Since Alex's training is interrupted, it sounds like s/he is not all that old when the game begins. Not a teenager, but not an experienced agent either. Personally, I'd rather a young person than a grizzled and cliched Sam Fisher type, but maybe that's because I'm only 20 myself.

What makes Alex look like a punk? His hair? There are many 20-somethings or even 30-somethings who wear their hair like that in real life today, and I wouldn't call them all punks. If Alex were a skinhead I'd be more worried. :p

Machinax
19th Oct 2003, 16:18
The Eidos official page for DX:IW has finally replaced the picture for the game. Does not bode well, although it's better than the one first posted in this thread.

Lawnboy360
19th Oct 2003, 16:40
You mean this :
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/info.html?gmid=125
?

Seems like a part from a wallpaper on deusex.com to me!

Machinax
19th Oct 2003, 21:16
Yeah, that one. But seeing as Eidos are the official distributors for the game, it's conceivable that they put that image - over all the other possible images - on the game page for a reason.

blackeye
19th Oct 2003, 23:14
what do you think about multiple box-art ?
might reflect your way to play the game, for example:

- cheap "cyber punk" with gun in your face
- sophisticacted "hacker girl" with technological gear
- mysterious "pacifist boy" with non-violent radiance

Picasso
20th Oct 2003, 00:17
THAT would be cool. I think the flamethrower-toting guy (here (http://dxinvisiblewar.com/downloads/02DX_Wallpaper_800x600.jpg)) would look great on a box, representing the heavy-weapons soldier-type. On other boxes you could have the James Bond type with a silenced pistol, or the ninja-type with the nanosword...

{RainmakeR}
20th Oct 2003, 00:31
I agree... that version of Alex looks SO much better than the other undead punk version.

El Padrino
20th Oct 2003, 05:31

I saw an X-Box version of this box art at Gamestop this weekend with one of those "reserve now" stickers on it. It seems that the male box-art Alex will be getting down with his undead self this Winter. A rockin' weapon, for an invisible war.

El Padrino
20th Oct 2003, 05:39
The thing to remember is that Alex is young. Tarsus, the organisation s/he belongs to at the start of the game, is a school. From what I gather from the website, Tarsus picks out gifted people and trains them into covert agents. Since Alex's training is interrupted, it sounds like s/he is not all that old when the game begins. Not a teenager, but not an experienced agent either. Personally, I'd rather a young person than a grizzled and cliched Sam Fisher type, but maybe that's because I'm only 20 myself.

Dude, the Alex on the box art looks like he's between 40 and 60 years old. With his hair the way it is, it's like he's either a very sad, wannabe grandpa, or a vampire. Nothing about him, not even his hair, makes him look like a young person, or a person of anyone that has been to an academy for gifted people. And the way he holds his gun is a big indication that either A) He has recieved no formal education or training at Tarsus B) Is the oldest "gangsta" on the planet or C) Is on a mission to infiltrate a local gang to gain access to their hood or crib.

Picasso
20th Oct 2003, 06:04
I saw an X-Box version of this box art at Gamestop this weekend with one of those "reserve now" stickers on it. It seems that the male box-art Alex will be getting down with his undead self this Winter.

I'm doubtful that that's the final box art. If Eidos wants to go with the "shoving a pistol in the customer's face" look, they'll use the most recent version (http://dxinvisiblewar.com/downloads/01DX_Wallpaper_800x600.jpg), which is also being used at the official site.

sackme
20th Oct 2003, 12:40
Ive said it before n ill say it again WHY PURPLE, WHERE R THE SHADES N TRENCHCAOT AND GET A HAIR CUT

Random
20th Oct 2003, 13:28
You can see the in-game Alex near the beginning of the GameStar E3 video, which you can download from here (http://www.gamershell.com/news_BDeusEx2Btrailers.shtml). His hair doesn't look quite as big and spiky in the game; he reminds me a lot of Max Payne, actually, especially from the back. His eyes don't seem to glow right out of their sockets, either. They look much like JC's ultra blue eyes, only purple this time. Promotional artwork has a tendency to exaggerate things, and the in-game models look decidedly subtle in comparison. It might allay some fears. The female Alex is also shown.

Bear in mind that the video is several months old now, though, and their appearances may have changed since.

Machinax
20th Oct 2003, 14:30
Originally posted by El Padrino
A rockin' weapon, for an invisible war.

Fo shizzle, yo.

Random's post made me wonder why I've seen only two conceptual designs of the female Alex. I mean, having this cyber-hip-undead-punk lookin' as though he's gonna bust a cap in yo ass, leading the charge of the "future war on terror" is one thing. But this game was from the earliest hyped as one with a female character, and have we seen much of her? No. We've seen two versions of Alex Male pointing a gun at the viewer and one of him with a flamethrower. But have we seen any shots of Alex Female, other than the most introductory shots? No!

sackme
21st Oct 2003, 12:13
To continue my earlyer post if he dont have shades how does he hide in shadows wi eyes like those
If he dont ave a tench coat how does he hide his guns it doesnt work
Finaly Final Fantasy suchs especialy the hair doo's

GIME SHADES N COATS N CISORS N SMALLER PISTOLS (ITS MENT TO BE A PISTOL NOT CANNON):mad:

On another point i saw on another post that there will be no MP facility on the game they messed up big time this time:mad:

WAR CAN LOOK BAD BUT THIS IS REDICULOS

Tenkahubu
21st Oct 2003, 12:35
Your spelling and grammar is ridiculous.

AlteredGlyph
21st Oct 2003, 15:35
sackme, don't just yell about how they messed up the game. Make Tell them how they could improve it. And a pistol that is 1/2 inch away from your face looks pretty big, especially when it has a flashlight attached to the bottom, which adds more bulk. Deus Ex: Invisible War isn't super-realistic, so your glowing eyes don't really matter. They removed the trenchcoats to avoid looking like the matrix, wich was unavoidable in the first game, but IS avoidable in this game. The spiky hair is stupid, but he's not the only model you can shoose for your character, as there will be 6 different choices. MP was pathetic in the first game, and i't wouldn't be much better in the second game. Just let them develop their game that you won't buy because you never looked at any of the info, just at the worries that you automatically assumed were true, and let the intelligent people who read previews play the game.

Tagy
21st Oct 2003, 16:24
Originally posted by Tenkahubu
MP was pathetic in the first game

As most of you would agree with this, I would have to disagree. The multiplayer and the easy modding of the game would have created a very nice enviroment for FPS roleplaying in certain limits. Unfortunately I realised this too late to get any ppl intrested in the idea anymore. I made a few rp maps anyway and we played them with a few friends online that were intrested.

Simple code(.ini files aren't that tough) modifications enabled the use of inventory and easy creating of NPC's, new items, new weapons and stuff similar to this. Admin was able to work as a "dungeon master" and spawn stuff like enemies and items easily. To avoid just praising the MP to heavens, there were some serious flaws in it too, wich I would rather leave alone for now, but they weren't enough to ruin the experience. I only wish more people would have still been playing the game when I had the vision of DXRP. :(

And last but not least, my vision of the DX box cover to avoid
straying too much from topic:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/nwn/Magi/DX2_Box.jpg

gareis
21st Oct 2003, 17:17
I like that. I wonder how well it would sell the game, though--we're all Deus Ex 1 fans who are eagerly awaiting the sequel, so we'll buy it no matter what, and we already know the significance of that symbol. A punk with a gun appeals to those used to mindless, kill-em-all FPSs.

Tagy
21st Oct 2003, 17:40
Yup, that's the way it goes unfortunately. My dream box would be a totally black box with just the shining logo of DX embedded into it. Shurely something like that would gather much of intrested eyes around it...

Don
21st Oct 2003, 18:38
Tagy's cover rocks. But MP was BS in DX1 when you compare it to what else was around.

Tbone
21st Oct 2003, 19:26
I don't particularly care for Raver Denton, either. All he needs is a glowstick mod for his pistol and he's good to go. :rolleyes: I don't object to Alex being younger, but I do object to him looking like he just wants to score some X.

I wouldn't say he looks gruff. I would say that he looks like Wolverine, though. I see that image and I kind of expect him to start howling any second.

All things considered, I'm not all that worked up about box art, though. If I even keep the box, it's just a manual holder that sits there getting dusty in my closet for many years. I can't say that I take them out and lovingly polish them and admire the art once I've installed the game.

I highly suspect that the box art is just box art, and doesn't have any bearing on the game itself. Eidos is just doing what Eidos is payed to do - they're marketing the game in whatever way it takes to get the most customers. Feel free to rant and rave here (pun intended), but don't expect it to change anything. The dev team may occasionally peruse these boards, but two things: 1) You're probably preaching to the choir. I doubt that they're overly thrilled with the connotation of the box art either, but when you hire a lawyer, you take their legal advice, and when you hire a publisher, you let them do the publishing. 2) Ion Storm isn't in charge of the box art; Eidos is. If you want to convince someone, convince them. Good luck, though. I can assure you that they care a lot more about decades of marketing practices than about anything we say here on the fan boards. As well they should, from a business perspective.

We're a captive audience, so to speak. They don't have to market the game to us, and they know it. There's basically nothing they can do that will stop us from buying the game once it's out and the reviews start coming in. As long as the game is more or less what we were expecting, they can safely ignore us and market the game to some demographic that didn't buy the first one. Maybe it won't work, but it might give them some small gain, and they don't really have anything to lose, so why not?

Memphis42
22nd Oct 2003, 00:55
The pistol in Halo is a monster but no one complains about that...

El Padrino
22nd Oct 2003, 05:37
That's because everyone that complains about Halo is too busy talking about the repetitive level design, and how awful The Library is. No time to complain about a gun when its other problems are so overwhelming.

That, and box art Master Chief doesn't look like he can't decide between sucking your blood and shooting you in the face gangsta style.

Machinax
22nd Oct 2003, 16:19
Originally posted by Tbone
I don't particularly care for Raver Denton, either. All he needs is a glowstick mod for his pistol and he's good to go. :rolleyes: I don't object to Alex being younger, but I do object to him looking like he just wants to score some X.

I wouldn't say he looks gruff. I would say that he looks like Wolverine, though. I see that image and I kind of expect him to start howling any second.

All things considered, I'm not all that worked up about box art, though. If I even keep the box, it's just a manual holder that sits there getting dusty in my closet for many years. I can't say that I take them out and lovingly polish them and admire the art once I've installed the game.

I highly suspect that the box art is just box art, and doesn't have any bearing on the game itself. Eidos is just doing what Eidos is payed to do - they're marketing the game in whatever way it takes to get the most customers. Feel free to rant and rave here (pun intended), but don't expect it to change anything. The dev team may occasionally peruse these boards, but two things: 1) You're probably preaching to the choir. I doubt that they're overly thrilled with the connotation of the box art either, but when you hire a lawyer, you take their legal advice, and when you hire a publisher, you let them do the publishing. 2) Ion Storm isn't in charge of the box art; Eidos is. If you want to convince someone, convince them. Good luck, though. I can assure you that they care a lot more about decades of marketing practices than about anything we say here on the fan boards. As well they should, from a business perspective.

We're a captive audience, so to speak. They don't have to market the game to us, and they know it. There's basically nothing they can do that will stop us from buying the game once it's out and the reviews start coming in. As long as the game is more or less what we were expecting, they can safely ignore us and market the game to some demographic that didn't buy the first one. Maybe it won't work, but it might give them some small gain, and they don't really have anything to lose, so why not?

Wow. Great argument.

Lawnboy360
22nd Oct 2003, 22:11
Below is the final box art and new slogan, and I think most of you will be very pleased.

EDIT: I reposted the image in the next page, and removed it in this one to save bandwidth.

super...
22nd Oct 2003, 22:23
I got it! I know the angle of Eidos with the marketing on this game. See if they advertised the game to us smart like people who enjoy more that just your average blood bath, the game could not teach us anything about ethics that we already don’t know. But if they make it look appealing to the not so smart like people and they buy it then they will be educating the masses. Can you imagine the look on some pore unreal players face when someone barks at him to stop shooting people? This is going to be cool.

Mythrander101
22nd Oct 2003, 23:27
Tbone and Machinax: Good point.

Mythrander101

Tbone
23rd Oct 2003, 00:10
LMAO Lawnboy360! You've captured the moment :D

Machinax
23rd Oct 2003, 04:41
Originally posted by super...
Can you imagine the look on some pore unreal players face when someone barks at him to stop shooting people?

Sure. How many four-letter words can you think of?

F3nyx
27th Oct 2003, 01:09
ROFL at Lawnboy's pic...

Personally I think the stubble is making some of those pics look atrocious. You'd think they'd have a special Autoshave biomod by then or something - then Alex D. could just smear some nanites on his mug and be ready to go.

But seriously, lose the stubble. Makes him look like one of those Zyme addicts JC beat up in that subway station.

gareis
27th Oct 2003, 02:11
"Oh, sure. I don't mind needles."

Machinax
27th Oct 2003, 03:45
Haha, classic line.

The Grimpond
27th Oct 2003, 06:41
They should try something unambigous like the original box art for metal gear solid for playstation

Sylvester Ink
27th Oct 2003, 08:40
LMAO! I love the new boxart Lawnboy! That's it! You are now promoted from fanboy to publicity artist! With your skills, DXIW will be the hottest selling game EVER!!! And I am not joking! I mean, people will look at the boxart, laugh themselves into cardiovascular arrest, and then buy the game just because it looks so cool. Ingenius!

Lawnboy360
27th Oct 2003, 13:52
Thanks! ;)

I'll repost it on this page, but you may have trouble seeing it as my daily bandwidth limit is only 5mb...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/337810/EXC.jpg

Machinax
27th Oct 2003, 14:14
If you wanted to be really over the top, you could've changed "Deus Ex" to "Do Sex".

And yes, in the words of Arch Enemy, "Let the killing begin!"

EonApocalypse
28th Oct 2003, 09:28
I also wish the DX:IW box art could retain some self respect and dignity, it would be nice because it's rare, and it would continue in the unique fashion of it's predecessor.

But, I suppose that's just the price for living in capitalism...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
28th Oct 2003, 10:27
Lawnboy, do you think you could make a 1024*768 version of this, so I could have a wallpaper for my computer?

Lawnboy360
28th Oct 2003, 13:18
Of course; I'll only have to do the same on the first wallpaper instead of the box art. And mine won't have the War on Terror slogan! :eek:

El Padrino
28th Oct 2003, 13:31
It would be cool if they somehow worked in Lawnboy's raving Denton into the game as some kind of easter egg. They had a dance party in the first one, why not the second?

Maybe when the game is out, someone can find a way to plaster the boxart on walls and stuff.

Don
28th Oct 2003, 16:15
Sorry, couldn't resist!

http://www24.brinkster.com/thedon2000/gel.jpg

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
28th Oct 2003, 16:26
good one too,

Tbone
29th Oct 2003, 02:35
I hope Lawnboy doesn't mind, but I had actually started on a wallpaper verion of the joke a couple nights ago and just finished it off tonight. I didn't see the request, so it's 1280x1024, but it should be pretty easy to adapt it to 1024x768 by cropping a little off the sides. It's about 800k, like the original wallpapers, so I'll just post a 640x512 copy here:

http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_thumb.jpg

Here's the full-sized version:
clicky (http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_1280_1024.jpg)

This turned out to be deceptively difficult. The pistol in the original was bigger than I thought. It covered his whole chest, so I had to clone it out and totally reconstruct everything. I'm not all that great with the clone tool, so hopefully it doesn't look too weird. I used a lightsaber tutorial I found to make the glowstick, the glowstrings in his hair, and the necklace.

F3nyx
29th Oct 2003, 03:33
That's too awesome.

Now Eidos will probably delay the game because we made too much fun of their marketing department...

gareis
29th Oct 2003, 04:32
It's great! It's on my desktop right now!

AlteredGlyph
29th Oct 2003, 04:33
I would set it as my background, but I didn't want to set my resolution that high, hurts my eyes.

Machinax
29th Oct 2003, 04:37
Originally posted by F3nyx
That's too awesome.

Now Eidos will probably delay the game because we made too much fun of their marketing department...

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

IconoclastDX
29th Oct 2003, 05:27
I love it. Has anyone emailed any devs or public relations type at edios or IS with this??

El Padrino
29th Oct 2003, 06:31
Tbone,

Get Denton's eyes bigger and make him smile, and it will be almost perfect. Enlarging "Dance With Me" and making it look a bit more festive might help as well.

Sylvester Ink
29th Oct 2003, 06:31
Now that is one beautiful background. Aren't you honored Lawnboy? You started a new movement in the DX world. Spector, Smith and the others will be hard-pressed not to give us our long-awaited DX:Invisible Rave!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Oct 2003, 09:10
thanks TBone, this wallpaper is fantastic.
(can you make the matching icons?)

Random
29th Oct 2003, 11:09
I love the necklace. :D

Lawnboy360
29th Oct 2003, 14:46
Wow!
Of course I'm honored! :eek:

:D

I tried to do it yesterday but I screwed it up. Good thing you've done it. Like others mentioned you should make him smile, make his eyes wide open, and his eyebrows higher. And the ''Dance with me'' bigger. That should be pretty easy to do with Photoshop's liquify tool. (Mine was done with MS Paint and some sort of picture viewer included with MS Office)

Now we have the define the gameplay. I think it should be a button-mashing game like Parapapa the Rapper (sp?) in which you press buttons on the controller in sequences to make Alex dance, ''in a futuristic, immersive cyber-punk setting.'' (We have to get a press release ready!)

Tbone
29th Oct 2003, 15:55
Dance Dance Biomodification? =P

Tbone
29th Oct 2003, 16:08
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, everybody. And I'm glad you don't mind, Lawnboy. If you had already done a bunch of work on this, it might have sucked to have someone post a finished version before you were done :(

It shouldn't be too tough to rearrange his facial features a bit to make him look a little less serious about his raving. I haven't really played with the liquify tool yet, but from what I've heard, it's not too tough to get the results you're looking for from that.

The "Dance with me!!!" text is on a separate layer, so I can change that to whatever I want very easily. I had just spliced the font from the original "war on terror" slogan to make it. Anyone know of a font that would suit this well?

I'll also scale and crop a 1024x768 version and probably an 800x600 version too, if it doesn't drastically screw up the image. As for icons, I'm sure it could be done, but what images would you want? Are you talking about desktop icons, or an avatar for message boards?

I won't be able to do much with it until I get home tonight, but I may be working kind of late :(. Oh, and if you think 800k is big, you should see the .psd file. It's just over 7MB :eek:

Lawnboy360
29th Oct 2003, 17:14
BTW TBone, I think it would be wise to add, in a corner (usually hidden by taskbar), something like:
"Wallpaper version made by TBone of a wonderful, original, mind-blowing concept by 'Lawnboy360 Thy Awesome' ",
or whatever you feel is appropriate. You wouldn't want Eidos' marketing dept. to steal this and claim it as their own work, would you?
Besides, I want to get some credit for this when it gets on CNN.

Liquify is indeed very easy to use. AFAI remember, you set the tool shape and size; there's various tool, one to move what's under the brush (eyebrows/smile), and there's another which "magnify" what's under the brush (eyes).

I don't know what font you should use, but I think it should be written in italic to make it more "dynamic". Maybe.

It would be nice to have some DX icons, but didn't the GOTY edition of DX included a desktop theme with icons? If we want to make new ones with DXIW's items, we'll probably have to wait until it's out so we can take close-up shots of certain items and make icons out of them...

Don
29th Oct 2003, 19:57
I thought I recognised him.

http://www24.brinkster.com/thedon2000/rave!.jpg

gareis
29th Oct 2003, 20:58
It annoys me that the "Dance With Me!!!" line is half obscured by the taskbar. Perhaps it could move up a bit? No biggie.

Tbone
30th Oct 2003, 06:52
Ok, here goes round 2. My computer is currently ****ed up, so I can't change my background to see if it's chopping off any text when you actually use it as a background. At any rate, I've given him more of a smirk and made his whole eyes glow as per request. I also gave his lips a little more color because it seemed fitting somehow. Don't ask me why. It's a farily subtle change, though. I've also twiddled around with the heal tool and managed to get his armor looking a little less smudged in parts where it was totally built by hand with the clone tool. It has a much more correct "texture" to it now than in the first version. I also straightened up a few wobbles where my hand wasn't too steady in the first round. Finally, I have multiple resolutions now.

Here's a small preview:
http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_thumb_v2.jpg

Here's the 3 resolutions available:
1280x1024 (http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_1280x1024_v2.jpg)
1024x768 (http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_1024x768_v2.jpg)
800x600 (http://stathol.home.comcast.net/misc/DX_Rave_800x600_v2.jpg)
There is no 1600x1200 version because they didn't make an original wallpaper that big for me to work with. At any rate, 1024x768 scales up evenly to 1600x1200 (i.e. no distortion), so you can always just use that one in "stretch" mode.

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Sylvester Ink
30th Oct 2003, 07:45
It's so beautiful . . . it makes me cry.
Someone's gotta get Warren and Harvey to see this! Put it in the game as an easter egg or something!

gareis
30th Oct 2003, 12:08
I love it, especially the disco hair. And the disco happiness bar.

Dr Strangelove
30th Oct 2003, 13:31
That is just SO good

Lawnboy360
30th Oct 2003, 14:43
I just posted it on Ion Storm's boards. Let's hope they like it as much as we do ;) . The developers post often on IS boards these days, so we can hope they see it :) .

Edit:
http://www.ionstorm.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP619612110&id=28648

Lawnboy360
31st Oct 2003, 14:49
BTW, Gamestop updated it's box art pic:

AlteredGlyph
31st Oct 2003, 16:25
Thats "so" much better. I'm ecstactic that they changed the whole "gun in the face thing." It's exactly the same, except for the background. Can't Eidos take a hint and chage the marketing scheme?

Lawnboy360
31st Oct 2003, 17:40
Actually, it's worse : the previous ones didn't have the "War on Terror" slogan. We can only hope it's a quick placeholder made from the wallpaper so online stores could display up-to-date art...

This doesn't seem like a real box to me, and the yellow font seems somewhat out of place (unlike our ''Invisible Rave'').

But I just noticed the background isn't exactly the same as the wallpaper's (flying bots, lighter shapes, etc) so it was not made from it...
:confused:

Sense
31st Oct 2003, 20:51

looks quite **** IMO.

Even the first one is 10X better:

http://www.delos.fantascienza.com/delos60/img/interazioni/deus-ex.jpg

I am deeply disappointed

I'm very disappointed too. I've seen a lot of things that are disappointing me about Dx2. I definitely won't be upgrading for it.

Sense
31st Oct 2003, 20:57
Gamers who are into more "complex" games would probably already know about DX and DX:IW. Eidos, like I said, probably wanted to make this more mainstream by making it more "hip". I can only hope the game itself doesn't look like the box.

Jeez....we're sounding like a forlorn bunch of Metallica fans.

This doesn't look hip though, it looks gay. I hope one of the twists in the game isn't that Alex is gay.

Sense
31st Oct 2003, 21:04
I doubt the decision has anything to do with the Xbox, because apparently the average age of PC and Xbox gamers is pretty much the same.

Looks pretty cool, in my opinion. Attractive, subtle, easy on the eyes.

It just looks cheesy and unoriginal, imo. I thought they were going for a more mature look for the game -- like James Warren said, not the opposite. That one is better than the first, but still very disappointing.

Sense
31st Oct 2003, 21:08
Originally posted by Don
Tagy's cover rocks. But MP was BS in DX1 when you compare it to what else was around.

Yea, it wasn't even finished though. It COULD've been great. Just like dx2 could've been great.

Tenkahubu
31st Oct 2003, 23:27
I think the picture is a lot better than the other, but obviously I'm less pleased by the yellow letters.

The picture seems to be taken from the 'print-ad' as found on the main website, although the print-ad is darker.

Prohass
1st Nov 2003, 00:38
Ah sense, you havent played DX2, so therefor you dont know whether its great or not. Your judging a game by its box art? Are you serious?

Who gives a crap about the box, they want it to sell, so whatever will sell better is what they'll go for, people who are buying it cos there fans of the game shouldn't give a toss, and with designs like these people who dont know about the game will be more likely to buy it.

Sense
1st Nov 2003, 04:43
I'm juding it partially by it's box cover art...There's many things that lead me to believe Dx2 will disappoint me--and I don't want to spend $1000 upgrading to find out.

It could've been a great game. Looks like they sold out, though.

Sense
1st Nov 2003, 04:55
Originally posted by Prohass
people who are buying it cos there fans of the game shouldn't give a toss, and with designs like these people who dont know about the game will be more likely to buy it.

I really doubt that will help sales. Maybe that's hip for 45 year old white males, but for the rest of the population -- it just looks incredibly stupid.

Prohass
1st Nov 2003, 05:47
what parts of the game let you down?

and the box art isn't that bad, jeebus, who gives a ****? sold out? huh? The first DX's cover is similar to that in many ways.

Sylvester Ink
1st Nov 2003, 05:53
Sense, do remember that the people who make the boxart and tagline aren't the same people who make the game.

Anyone ever heard of a game called Battle Realms? One of the best RTS games of all time. But the people who marketed it were stupid. They didn't even try to convince all those people who were waiting for Warcraft 3 to get Battle Realms while they waited. And thus, Battle Realms sold poorly.

An even better example. Beta cassettes vs VHS cassettes. Betas were FAR superior. But they had lousy marketing. So up until we got DVDs, VHS cassettes were what we used.

So the poor boxart and stupid tagline are really the fault of the marketing people. It just may turn out that DXIW doesn't sell as well as it could have, except I would have bought it. And as long as I play it, that's all that matters. ('Cause I'm a selfish SOB.)

And then again, maybe this boxart and tagline DO make the game sell well. Hey, all the better for IS!

I mentioned the game to my friend who has NEVER EVEN HEARD OF DX. He went to the website, saw the k3\/\/|_, |_33t Alex-with-big-gun-in-yo-face image, and he now thinks that DXIW will be the best game ever. (And he's not some shallow gamer. He asked me all about the sneaking and making choices deal when he found out.) So maybe the marketing people DO have something going!

Random
1st Nov 2003, 06:32
Originally posted by Sense
It just looks cheesy and unoriginal, imo. I thought they were going for a more mature look for the game -- like James Warren said, not the opposite. That one is better than the first, but still very disappointing.

Oh, I just noticed that the picture I quoted has changed. I was originally talking about the one with Alex standing in the middle of the box looking slightly down and to the left.

El Padrino
1st Nov 2003, 22:24
Originally posted by Sylvester Ink
So maybe the marketing people DO have something going!

Maybe they do; I'm not saying they don't. And it probably doesn't make sense, but I'm not slamming the Marketing department. One of the things they do for this sort of thing is research on what works. So they could very well be giving Invisible War a box that sells more copies.

But that doesn't mean that the art doesn't suck.

Sylvester Ink
2nd Nov 2003, 05:25
Too true . . .
Same with the tagline . . .

NamelessOne
6th Nov 2003, 01:16
I just want to say something about the argument that they're just using the box-art to attract the teenie crowd to buy the game, and therefore it justifies using it.

The problem with that theory is that even if the 15 year old who wants to "kick some terrorist ass" in the future whole holding his weapon "gangsta style" gets conned and goes home and plays the game, only to find out that its NOT a straight run and gun, the standard response would be to go off to whatever message board he usually posts on and tell the world how much the game sucks. He'll probably tell all his friends to avoid the game too.

Which will probably kill off a lot of sales.

What they should try and do is appeal to market they make the game for.

Lawnboy360
6th Nov 2003, 03:50
In theory, this shouldn't be a problem, since DXIW is supposed to allow different styles of play, straight run and gun included.

F3nyx
6th Nov 2003, 03:56
Well, yeah. But it's still a fairly realistic game - "run and gun" games aren't. Can you imagine Serious Sam-type gameply in DX? Ludicrous... and the 15yo in question would probably be disappointed (his loss!).

I'm in agreement with those who said misleading marketing will hurt them. They're not even hyping the game up... they're more hyping it sideways.

Viking
9th Nov 2003, 04:24
I'm in agreement with those who said misleading marketing will hurt them.

For all you know, it's not misleading at all. Perhaps, the game is just as good at running and gunning as it is at being stealthy. We haven't played it. I'm pessimistic when it comes to this sequel, but for other reasons. The slogan is horrible, yes; misleading? We don't know that. We can't know that, not right now.

El Padrino
9th Nov 2003, 10:27
After going stealthy the first 4 or 5 times through Deus Ex, I played it like a trigger happy madman and wasn't disappointed. I'm sure the second one won't disappoint, either.

(As a trigger happy madman, I didn't just run out in the open everywhere, guns blazing all the time, since doing that is just a quick way to get killed. This applies to games like Call of Duty, so I think the use of "trigger happy" as my play style in Deus Ex is fair.)

Darko
9th Nov 2003, 18:40
Out of all the box arts i really like the last one that fuzz posted from best buy.

The reason for this is becuase AlexD in that box art was derived from this pic : http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~somi/gameradio/images/preview/deusex2/wp3.jpg

in that pic, AlexD looks much more mature with more subtle clothing and attitude (except the glowing eyes :rolleyes: ) and hes also not pointing a bulky big a** pistol in your face with a stupid hip look on his face with flashy colorful purple glowing clothing.

Personally, if i were incharge for box art over Eidos, i would have the concept art of the city backdrop of seattle (if anyone cant remember that : http://www3.telus.net/public/a8a02625/seattle.jpg ) this backround, perhaps at night maybe, with a muture looking alexD is the way to go IMO

Jock
11th Nov 2003, 19:11
If they make a seattle background, i wanna be able to see my old house.