PDA

View Full Version : PC GAMER REVIEW (oh the pain!)

Lechuck
13th Oct 2003, 13:11
Hey guess what homies? I was down in my hood today when i thought I'd pop into the newsagents and see if there were any mags with a C3 review. So I picked up PC Gamer (no. 1 UK PC games magazine) and flicked through to the C3 review. Do you wanna know what score they gave it?

94%!!!!!!

wicked!!!!

"Commandos 3 is an outstanding achievement for Pyro Studios......"

Then I woke up. And I really went down the store and really picked up PC Gamer and really read the review. oh poo.

72%

"....Pyro, tossed the pin instead of the grenade..... a huge disappointment...."

And I ain't lying. If you're still stupid enough to go out and by C3 then great. Coz that means that maybe pyro will be able to put the cash together to make commandos 4 a decent game.

Mike_B
13th Oct 2003, 14:07
Lechuck, while you are entitled to post your opinion, I find it very annoying to read to your posts and see a constant continuation of negative posts towards Commandos 3, a game you haven't played yet. I for one and probably many others with me am looking forward to get my hands on this game. I do not - and never will - care about the opinion of a single reviewer that is not a Commandos fan. Previews are usually good to catch up with the latest additions to the game but reviews and a score is just one man's opionion, and I like to make the decision to buy or not buy a game myself rather than following a reviewer blindly in his opinion.
If you think I'm stupid because I actually want to play the full version before I form my opinion, than so be it.

~edit~

p.s. Micromania, a spanish magazine, gave Commandos 3, 94 %for singleplayer and 90 % for multiplayer.

Lechuck
13th Oct 2003, 19:34
I can't help it if I keep hearing the game isn't any good. There's the pczone review, which someone else posted, which was also disappointing. You don't seem to understand that I REALLY LIKED COMMANDOS 1 & 2 and am a fan of the series so far. I genuinely, genuinely wish for C3 to be a fantastic game. It has a lot to live up to after the past 3 (including BTCOD) games. Admittedly I shouldn't say that anyone who buys the game is stupid, I was heated after just coming in from reading the review.

My opinion has only been negative with regards to them ditching co-op, which I loved. I see it as being negative when some others say that co-op was crap, because I really enjoyed playing it.

Someone certainly shouldn't decide whether or not to buy a game over a single review. But reviews don't blind you. They enlighten you with a valid opinion - they've played the game.

The fact that I posted news of a negative review isn't my opinion. The UK's no. 1 PC Gaming magazine is PC Gamer and it was the only magazine I checked. "Pyro tossed the pin instead of the grenade" was a quote from the magazine, not my opinion. Believe me, the first positive review I read about commandos, you'll know about, coz I'll post it straightaway.

I was REALLY looking forward to buying this game, but after them ditching co-op and 2 disappointing reviews im highly sceptical that the game's gonna be any good:(

It's great to hear that Spanish magazine, Micromania, gave it such a high score. But Pyro is a Spanish company. I sincerely hope that PC Zone and PC Gamer are wrong:)

WeinerMan
13th Oct 2003, 20:28
all i have to say is that someone this whacked out about some freakin' make believe, boy look at those little men shoot, PC GAME DAMNIT GAME needs to:

buy or rent a friend
get out in the sun more to prevent ricketts
collect rare porcelain toilet seats to keep busy
buy or rent a date
hate to say it, almost a cliche...but...GET A LIFE!

@am, we've given Le' Chuckie plenty of opportunity to be the child that he is and whine about the game. he is entiltled to that as i have already said but he is quite irritating (no wonder his parents shoved him off to college). but anyway, by your comments you too are getting tired of his bratty little tirades so tell him we know where he stands and to shut up already or you'll ban him.

Lechuck
13th Oct 2003, 20:53
I not going to fight back with a stupid list of insults, weinerhead. This is a games forum. You shouldn't insult me just because I don't share your opinion or have a passion for toilet seat collecting.

I've listened to what @m said and explained why I'm feeling doubtfull about the game. I will not make another negative post.

Stick to the topic and talk about commandos 3. This isn't the place to post your to-do list.

Mike_B
14th Oct 2003, 05:35
I was indeed getting a bit tired of the negative posts all along. I'm really looking forward to C3 and when I really like something I want others to like it as well and sometimes get a bit carried away...

To me his last post perfectly explained why he's being negative, he's just concerned about the game (as many others atm) on how the game will be, after reading bad reviews and the removal of co-op. He's just a fan like all the others who are just becoming more and more worried about what the game will like after reading reviews. The only way to tell will be soon when C3 hits the stores.

Absolutely no reason for banning/shutting up he's entitled to express his opinion even if it sounds negative from time to time, besides the discussion of banning members is held by mods/admins only and not on the forums.

Xcom
14th Oct 2003, 10:13
Interesting. 72% is not such a bad score in my book. Ok, it's not perfect, but it doesn't necessarily mean a crappy game.

Also curious is that Commandos 2 got 8.0 (or 80%) from PC Gamer. Reason? Well, one of the reasons was that Commandos 2 was "too difficult" for PC Gamer. :rolleyes: This alone doesn't add too much credibility to their reviews (IMHO).

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
14th Oct 2003, 12:46
WeinerMan

Did Pyro give you a huge hug and now you feel instulted if someone says anything negative about this game?

Dude.......calm down and go buy the game if you want to have "teh seckse" with the game or something.
I really dislike the demo(s) and have honestly nothing good to say about the game myself. Ofcourse since I really love the previous one's i'll wait and see what others will have to say about the game when it's actually released.

So here's something you should do If you feel so abliged to defend this game.

1. buy or rent a friend

2. get out in the sun more to prevent ricketts

3. collect rare porcelain toilet seats to keep busy

4. buy or rent a date

5. hate to say it, almost a cliche...but...GET A LIFE!

;)

Butcher_ss
14th Oct 2003, 12:50
Actually the UK PC Gamer gave commandos 2 90% IIRC. Anyway the point is that you cannot really judge a game through the reviews you read, the writer expresses a personal opinion about the game, which is not necessarily shared by the rest of the gaming community. Unless you play the game you cannot judge, a friend of mine had a look at the review of Anachronox some time back which had a score of 90% i think, he played the game and he thought it was absolutely awful, and yes the review was by PC Gamer, so that means that reviews are not necessarily accurate.

Mike_B
14th Oct 2003, 15:48
Originally posted by Xcom
Interesting. 72% is not such a bad score in my book. Ok, it's not perfect, but it doesn't necessarily mean a crappy game.

Also curious is that Commandos 2 got 8.0 (or 80%) from PC Gamer. Reason? Well, one of the reasons was that Commandos 2 was "too difficult" for PC Gamer. :rolleyes: This alone doesn't add too much credibility to their reviews (IMHO).

ROFL :D you know I read that on other game sites and/or magazines as well :rolleyes:

But ineed 72% isn't bad :)

WeinerMan
14th Oct 2003, 20:57
"abliged to defend this game"

bah, read back and tell me where i'm defending the game. i'm not [Weird Name] Lew. in fact, i don't think i've ever said anything postive about it! i'm not ragging on Le'Chuckie because he's down on the game. i'm ragging on him because he won't shut up about being down on the game. he's like a nagging woman for christ sake. ***** ***** *****...geez, enough already!

David
14th Oct 2003, 21:18
no one except me is defending the game :(
for that eidos should honor me with Iron cross ;)

actualy 72% aint bad, but it is not good either!

Grey Mouser
14th Oct 2003, 23:10
Originally posted by David
no one except me is defending the game :(
for that eidos should honor me with Iron cross ;)

(slips David the Iron Cross) ;)

My personal opinion is that reviews can definitely be useful, but are not the end-all-be-all on any subject, be it movies, restaurants, games...whatever.

I have played games that tanked in reviews, but I found them to be very cool. I have also played games that reviewed well, but that I really did not enjoy.

Play the game...if you like it...you like it! If not...you don't!

As far as waging war here about games (Eidos games, other companies games, board games, card games, rock-paper-scissors (http://www.worldrps.com/) and whatnot), Opinions and Feedback are good when you have something to base your opinion or feedback on. Our forums really are here for the purpose of sharing differing ideas and opinions with your fellow gamers...in a civil and informed manner.

Carry on soldiers!
GM

[PAK]Krwawy Lew
15th Oct 2003, 02:20
Originally posted by WeinerMan
"abliged to defend this game"

bah, read back and tell me where i'm defending the game. i'm not [Weird Name] Lew. in fact, i don't think i've ever said anything postive about it! i'm not ragging on Le'Chuckie because he's down on the game. i'm ragging on him because he won't shut up about being down on the game. he's like a nagging woman for christ sake. ***** ***** *****...geez, enough already!

all I can say is WOW.
I found like 6 posts from Lechuck where he says something negative about the game, so I don't get the point of "***** ***** *****" since the 6 posts were done in the last month or so.

Krwawy Lew means Bloody Lion in Polish FYI, It's a metaphor.