PDA

View Full Version : What i cant wait for

goody
10th Oct 2003, 15:23
I cannot wait to see the ragdoll physics engine in a deus ex situation. The game suffered at times in the original with only 2/3 different deaths. I would have thought a major character dying would be different but it wasn't unfortunately.

Viva Ragdoll!!

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 15:28
*points to Half-Life 2 movies*

They show a good deal of the physics which will appear in DX:IW.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Oct 2003, 15:36
errr, would you happen to have any links to these movies, Trollslayer? I'd like to see it too

Machinax
10th Oct 2003, 15:41
Alas, let us hope DX:IW doesn't suffer the same fate/release date as Half-Life 2 has.

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 15:43
Hmmm. Well, here (http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/videos/) is the best collection of HL2 videos that i know of. Some of them show good use of physics, from dragging a body with a gun that acts as a magnet, to objects falling down multiple times (but never in the same manner). Im not sure which of those is best, though the 587.4 MB movie seems to be the footage i saw which included several aspects of the game.

BMKane
10th Oct 2003, 18:11
The big ol' 600meg movie shows all the footage that you can download off The Internet(tm), except for the Source Engine High Definition Effects movie.

The giant pachinko machine in the first segment of the movie is pretty cool, as is the stuff in Boomtown (I think that's what it's called. It's the place with all the boobytraps).

Lawnboy360
10th Oct 2003, 20:59
That's "traptown".

Picasso
10th Oct 2003, 22:12
Max Payne 2 uses the same physics that DX2 will, and they've been putting up a bunch of gameplay videos at their website (http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/mp2_gallery_gameplay.php). Check out the ragdolling in clip 8, on the guy that Max shoots with the sniper rifle. THAT is sweet.

TheDerf
10th Oct 2003, 23:48
An idea I've been thinking about that'd be pretty cool if implemented anywhere, especially Deus Ex, is "Chunk warfare" combined with that Havok engine. Like... it would involve building your characters out of chunks 10-500 pixels large instead of laying polygon over polygon to create something. So with this, you could shoot a guy in the face, and have a piece of his face get ripped off where the bullet hit, or shoot a guy in the leg; have that chunk of his leg get ripped off. If you've ever played SOF2 and shot someone in the head, you know what I'm talking about, except they pretty much used polygons there too.

This would be a pretty cool idea for a DX3, wouldn't it? I'd love to see a guy get ripped to shreds by a military bot. I fear this will only be possible when that super chip Intel and Sony are working on comes out in a few years... one trillion calculations per second! 100x faster than a Pentium 4! :eek:

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 23:55
Originally posted by TheDerf
An idea I've been thinking about that'd be pretty cool if implemented anywhere, especially Deus Ex, is "Chunk warfare" combined with that Havok engine.

You mean the GHOUL system.

TheDerf
11th Oct 2003, 00:35
I guess the GHOUL engine does fit that description, but it can only deliver a relatively small number of animation than what I'm talking about. It also still sticks with the polygons.

I'm talking about a whole new way to build your characters: piece by piece. Every game out there makes their models by laying polygon over polygon over polygon. The problem with that is you can't do the spiffy effects I'm talking about here without a crapload of trouble. If you made your models piece by piece, or chunk by chunk, you could have a totally new and freakin awesome feature in shooters.

Picture this in your head with the aid of a game you've played that was running a Havok engine or something similar (Hitman, Postal 2, whatever): You're shooting someone with a chaingun. He flies up in the air, flails his limbs, does a few flips, and he hits the wall in one piece. Good stuff. Picture the same guy, but constructed with 3,000 chunks rather than polygons. As he's getting shot, pieces of him are getting ripped off and hitting the wall, hitting the floor, blood spurting everywhere, holes in his body... This time when the guy acually hits the wall, only a small portion of him is left, and you got a room full of red, steaming flesh. Most of the chunks that constructed his body were forcefully removed by an impact of a bullet and now lying on the floor representing what once was alive. Whoo!

I can't be the first one to think of this, so there's gotta be a few problems with it. Maybe computers are just too slow to handle the demand of chunk warfare. Heh, all will be well when that Intel teraflop chip comes out. :)

Lawnboy360
11th Oct 2003, 00:36
Considering Warren wants players to feel as if they've really taken down a human (when he speaks about rag-doll physics) I guess it's a possibility.

If I understand well you want something like Red Faction's Geo-Mod tech, but for models ? :)

TheDerf
11th Oct 2003, 00:57
Though I've never played it, I heard you can destroy everything on a Red Faction map; so, yes.

Chunk clothing... it'd be so cool to shoot a jacket or a hat off of someone. w00t:p

Trollslayer
11th Oct 2003, 00:58
Originally posted by TheDerf
Picture the same guy, but constructed with 3,000 chunks rather than polygons. As he's getting shot, pieces of him are getting ripped off and hitting the wall, hitting the floor, blood spurting everywhere, holes in his body... This time when the guy acually hits the wall, only a small portion of him is left, and you got a room full of red, steaming flesh.

I'm getting all excited here :D

Just kidding :p

I see what you mean. It would require a lot of processing, though.

Though building our characters piece by piece sounds... weird. Im thinking its a good idea for other game types (its been used before), but for an FPS... its probably taking the customization idea too far :p Having deformable model, like in PSO, would be a good idea - the customization of limbs piece by piece could be a sub-system of it. Meaning first you could decide the general height and width of the model, followed by the details in the limbs.

The result would be messy, no doubt ;)

Machinax
11th Oct 2003, 19:55
Just downloaded movie (19 hours, zipped). Dear Lord in heaven, it's amazing. Now I feel even more sorry for Valve that they've had to push the release date back, and even more impatient for DX:IW to come out.

Godwin
12th Oct 2003, 09:00
that chunk thing sounds like voxels to me, it would be cool, and would be the ultimate way to mimic a real world environment, but you'll need alot of resources, and alot of these blocks, they have to be really small to work properly and look good

BMKane
12th Oct 2003, 13:48
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
That's "traptown".

Bah! That's nonsense! Why would they name a place with traps in it "Traptown"?!?! I like my name better!