PDA

View Full Version : DX:IW wins "Game of the Week"...

Machinax
9th Oct 2003, 18:51
...even before it's released! Hey, that rhymes! :D

http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/31130.shtml

53 days left.

Trollslayer
9th Oct 2003, 19:15
The picture on that site is remarkably like the one being used for Doom 3's advertising.

Incidentally, gotta love the hype starting already. I mean, it'd make sense if it was the Most Interesting / Most Expected Game or somesuch, not Game of the Week, since its not out.

Amazon Warrior
9th Oct 2003, 21:05
53 days left.
For you, maybe. Amazon.co.uk (no relation!) is saying that it isn't available until (wait for it, cos we have to!) THE 6TH OF FEBRUARY!!! I really hate living in this country sometimes.:(

If/when it comes out in America, all the Brits and other poor unfortunates with later release dates are going to have to aviod this forum or run the risk of exploding through pure, unadulterated jealousy. GRRR! (Its so hard to get out of the carpet, for one thing)

*Amazon Warrior scowls, checks the supply of WP GEP rounds and fiddles restlessly with the safety catch on the recoiless, silenced, 100% accurate sniper rifle*

Random
10th Oct 2003, 01:07
Originally posted by Amazon Warrior
For you, maybe. Amazon.co.uk (no relation!) is saying that it isn't available until (wait for it, cos we have to!) THE 6TH OF FEBRUARY!!! I really hate living in this country sometimes.:(

I doubt that means anything. Retailers often just guess at release dates because they need to have something there on the website to attract preorders. I'd be surprised if the game took that long to get to Britain, especially since Eidos has a big presence there.

Lawnboy360
10th Oct 2003, 01:51
I hope "week" turns into "year".

Random
10th Oct 2003, 06:46
It's good to see that Gamepro appreciates that DX:IW (I should stop using the 2, I guess ;)) is not a rehash. Call me an arrogant cynic, but I didn't like seeing Jedi Academy scoring 90%+ while more ambitious games -- that might make come mistakes, sure -- score below 80. If a game makes its own mould rather than uses an old one, it should be rewarded, in my opinion.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Oct 2003, 07:57
I doubt that means anything. Retailers often just guess at release dates because they need to have something there on the website to attract preorders

then why don't they give the same date as amazon.com? the sooner the release date, the more preorder they would get!

(and I don't even speak of amazon.fr, where they don't even have anything about DX:IW, no release date, no search results, nothing. arrghhl)

I hope "week" turns into "year".

I hope it don't. at least concerning the time we have to wait

for the award, I'm confident

Foten
10th Oct 2003, 08:28
Seriusly y do u ppl always talk about the realsed dates when no1 knows when its will be realsed.
There r like 50 threads just about the realse date and Catman always says that when the offical word comes out it will be in the thread that says so and that they just make a realsed date up cuase nobody knows when its suposed to be realsed.
SO CAN U JUST STOP POST THE SAMETHING THE THIS FORUM AND JUST WAIT FOR THE OFICAL WORD LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE?!:mad: :rolleyes:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Oct 2003, 10:07
If I understood what you asked, the answer is : "it helps us. keeps us occupied while we wait"

(I may have had the wrong question, but english is hard enough to understand for me, and SMS-english is even harder)

oh, and since no simultaneous world release has been announced, Europe Will have the game later than USA, and France later than English speaking countries (due to laws here that force games to be translated before they can be released)

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 11:21
I didn't know France had a law like that :eek: In my country people really don't care. And thank god, most translations suck anyway.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Oct 2003, 12:09
It was part of a law that also forbid the use of english words in the administration, and other funny things like that. (Oh and I think the law also forced musical radios to play at least 40% french songs. I just love this country, sometimes, makes me laugh so much).

anyway, I usually try to get the US version as soon as possible, since my english is good enough to understand the game, and I usually play it 2 or 3 month before my friends, hehehe

Foten
10th Oct 2003, 12:57
HAHA France sux! And yeah it kinda answered the question if it was a question. And also it wasnt SMS-english it was internet game english and im from Sweden that rules so i think i will get the game at the same time as the ones in UK.:p

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 13:06
Originally posted by Foten
HAHA France sux!

Sweden isn't exactly much better.

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 13:13
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
It was part of a law that also forbid the use of english words in the administration, and other funny things like that. (Oh and I think the law also forced musical radios to play at least 40% french songs. I just love this country, sometimes, makes me laugh so much).

We got some of that here as well. It caused some problems when the government authorized the use of English words, or variations of it, to be inserted in laws.

We also have that radio thing. But then again, we need it, because our radio stations rarely air national music, and only supported foreign music, which lead to the government stepping up and forcing radios to air more national music so it'd have a broader reception, and had more figthing grounds. I mean, i do not like much of our national music, but i prefer it to at least be heard instead of it being totally snuffed out.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Oct 2003, 13:39
And also it wasnt SMS-english it was internet game english

does this REALLY make a difference?

and as I say, I think I will have it at the same time as UK, too, since I often shop at amazon UK, I can just do that again

Oh, and Trollslayer, I agree with you that national culture should be helped on radios, and other medias.

it's just that the way they did it in france made me wonder about the IQ level of the people who governed us at that time.

(you know, it reminded me of teachers from the beginning of the century. or maybe the army. usually, a law is better accepted when discussed)

sneelock
10th Oct 2003, 17:32
As I am the purchaser for the company i work for, i'll preorder a bunch of copies; and you guys can all pay me an extra $50 and ill ship it to you.

Lawnboy360
10th Oct 2003, 17:43
Oh, and Trollslayer, I agree with you that national culture should be helped on radios, and other medias.

I agree too.

I'm from Qu├ębec, Canada. (7 millions french-speaking people in a corner of North America...)

Games here come out at the same time as in the US, and then a french version comes out (usually later, as it's the same one they get in France). I think the law is that a french version is available or in the work.... not sure about that though...

Trollslayer
10th Oct 2003, 17:51
Originally posted by sneelock
As I am the purchaser for the company i work for, i'll preorder a bunch of copies; and you guys can all pay me an extra $50 and ill ship it to you.

That it a cruel thing to do to people who are in withdrawl.

I like your style ;)