PDA

View Full Version : Dumahs' ability

richard slater
7th Oct 2003, 11:54
Well, maybe it is a stupid question, but in SR Raziel archieved the 'constrict' ability after devouring Dumahs' soul. Raz hadn't got this ability in SR2, so I'm wondering if this skill is going to be added in Definace. Or, like the glyphs, developers are going to erase it "for ever".
P.S. Sorry about my english, I'm just a beginner.

swiftfox2.0
7th Oct 2003, 13:28
I'm wondering about that too. They could include Dumah's ability in Defiance and I think it wouldn't be a big advantage to Raziel in the beginning of the game, like it was in SR2.

Vampmaster
7th Oct 2003, 13:48
I just think of the constrict as an other form of telekinisis. It evolved and now he can rotate objects on the ground and restrain enemies without needing the "band of spectral energy".

Glucolisis
7th Oct 2003, 14:26
I hope they put it back just to not make Dumah feel bad because they forgot him. But I was a very useless ability and VERY hard to perform.

They can put it back but you don`t have to use it the game. Just my little opinion.

Stephenls
7th Oct 2003, 15:19
I think I expounded at length on this ability before, didn't I? Unfortunately this forum doesn't keep a record of every post ever made, like the RPGnet forums do, so I can't link back to it, but as I recall some people found it funny.

I could rant again if other people so wish, but until they do I'll keep my comments confined to the following: It was a stupid ability.

Omega
7th Oct 2003, 16:42
Chris@Crystal has said in a past question that they won't include SR1-style Glyphs...

But, why have them when we've got at least 5 enhancements for the Blood Reaver? ;)

Kainite
7th Oct 2003, 16:48
Its a very useless ability indeed, ut it is cool in his way.... i would like to see that and other abilities back in defiance...
We can only hope...

Azazel
7th Oct 2003, 20:33
Originally posted by Stephenls
Unfortunately this forum doesn't keep a record of every post ever made, like the RPGnet forums do, so I can't link back to it
Doesn't it?
If not they do keep a lot because the oldest latest post in a thread in the LoK community chat is from 06-29-2002.

Edit: Do you mean this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23816&highlight=constrict) thread?

warpsavant
8th Oct 2003, 01:06
I didn't think it was stupid at all. And it was far from useless, without it, you can't finish the game. In combat it's pretty much useless, it should make vamps explode but it just stuns 'em. He should of gained something more like the drain attack the vampire wraiths and the demons have.

Anyway, I think people just want it back because its like a continuity thing. I dont think they want to be able to constrict as much as they'd like to know WTF happened to it.

Stephenls
8th Oct 2003, 02:25
Originally posted by Azazel
Doesn't it?
If not they do keep a lot because the oldest latest post in a thread in the LoK community chat is from 06-29-2002.

Edit: Do you mean this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23816&highlight=constrict) thread?

Hmm. That is it.

I must have missed something somehow.

- SpiritShift -
8th Oct 2003, 03:50
*shrugs*

I didn't find it very useful outside of it's mandatory role in the game, but that's just my humble opinion.

swiftfox2.0
8th Oct 2003, 05:15
Yeah, it would have been useless, but how often did you use the other stuff Raziel got in SR2. I used the phase thing like three times, the climbing thing like five, and only took a swim in three areas, so constricting could have been included in that game and been used a few times.

I'd like to see some consistency in a game that is supposed to have a plot set in stone. When constricting isn't there for Raziel, that kind of tells me that he never killed Dumah. CD shouldn't erase things like that from these games. If they didn't like it, tough, they put it the game in the first place, so use in future games.

fneh
8th Oct 2003, 09:55
I thought it was a stupid ability. Yuo can read my comments in that other thread you linked to. definately glad it's gone.
I agree raziel should have got the wraith soul suck ability. He'd been in spectral for longer than dumah yet couldn't feed on live enemies (apart from humans willing to let you)

shiburavi
14th Oct 2003, 18:04
it might have gone stupid for most of the players as it was very tough to perform. :rolleyes:

Camus Audron
14th Oct 2003, 22:20
I think it's a stupid hability too...I dont think they added it out of stupidity though.....
I bet what you originaly were supposed to get from dumah, was the wraith-style drain, but then they thought it was too cheap...so they needed an animation for rotating things, and an ability for dumah....and then the idea just came to them: make dumah's an ability that rotates things, whitout requiring an animation! I think it was just product of the time restraints

even if that wasnt the case, it is very obvious that it would be a pain in the ass to rotate anything with that thing (imagine the dark forge if you needed to constrict in order to rotate the Dishes!!) and they just took it away

Maybe a way they could have brought it back (if they wanted to) is by making it have a better effect on enemies...like for example shooting them into the sky....so that it'd dispose them but not kill them (impeding you to pass if it was a Demon, and also preventing you from eating it's soul)

A nice way they could bring it back in defiance is as some sort of implode move....I wouldnt mind that

it could even work to make raziel need to run around his enemy in the first part of defiance to get him TK-controlled, and after evolving the hability a little he could do it normally