PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems Please Help!

Urizin
2nd Oct 2003, 03:43
Ok, recently I bought a copy of Deus Ex. It installed and ran like it should. 5 minutes into the game the sound started getting really staticy and fuzzy. Eventually it got to the point where I coun't hear anything at all but static!:mad: So I went online and downloaded the 1012 patch and it kinda helped. I can still understand people through the static but it still gets bad enough to where I have to exit and restart the game. Someone please help me out here! I love the game but the static just grinds on my nerves.
Thanks!

PS:I have Windows XP and an nVidia Nforce 2 sound card if that helps:)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Oct 2003, 08:34
hmmm I might be wrong but I don't think the problem comes from the video card

Catman
2nd Oct 2003, 12:51
With those symptoms, I'd try these things:

Make sure your cords are plugged into the right output, and that there's no dust or hair on the plug.
Go to the sound card's manufacturer, download and install the latest drivers.
Open your sound card's tuning software and mute all input devices.
Run the DirectX sound tests and see if that gives you any useful information.
If you haven't upgraded to DirectX 9, do so.
Open the box, remove and reseat the sound card. If the card is in the slot next to the video card, I'd move it to the slot furtherst away.

Orinoco
2nd Oct 2003, 12:58
And if you are using cordless headphones [like I do] try changing the batteries........

Grey Mouser
17th Oct 2003, 16:22
This has also helped if you are playing under Windows 2000 or XP:

Edit the DeusEx.ini file and set DirectSound=False. Open C:\DeusEx (or wherever the game is installed to) and locate the DeusEx.ini file, usually the one right after DeusEx.exe...open DeusEx.ini with Notepad and locate the heading that says:

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
(and a bit lower)
Latency=40
...and change it to say:

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=False
Latency=46

...then save the file and exit the notepad. Then try the game again, it will _probably_ run OK if you are on Win 2000 or XP.

oherror
27th Oct 2003, 07:16
i had the same problem when my sound was onboard. i found out that most onboard sound cards have a glich or two that make deus ex sound funny.

i was do for an upgrade so i bought a creative sound card. the audigy gamer which you can pick up for 50 to 70 dollars.

once i got the card no more problems.