PDA

View Full Version : What part does Janos play?

Raziel3099
2nd Oct 2003, 01:20
Hey. Kinda new here, and I've never played any of the games before, which is a total miss-out, but oh well. What exactly, was Janos' role in the past games, and what are your theories for the next?

Umah Bloodomen
2nd Oct 2003, 03:06
A SEARCH on the subject of Janos Audron, will provide you with the answers you seek. The only other advice I can offer you would be to play the games. :)

Draken
2nd Oct 2003, 09:45
If you are really serious about finding out about Janos, you'll play the games. Reading a script or being told by someone isn't the same as meeting the guy yourself. Would you pass up the chance to meet your favorite celebrity in the whole world?

Another thing if you are going to play the next game, you should forget any preconceived notions you may have about this gaming series. The one and only true depiction of vampires is in the Legacy of Kain, LOK. These vampires are more flesh and blood with personality and less undead. As they say everything has a reason, the story of LOK is spread across multiple games to make us learn and take some wisdom with it.

It is mythic, intense and incredible, truth is its the best videogame story I've ever seen, forget about any other videogames, this is it, the best of the best, comparing it to movies it may have the best story as well, and even anime may not be able to bring it down.

The reason being thus is that the original creators of the first game, Blood Omen, gathered inspiration from a variety of sources, one of which is the movie Unforgiven. Like Unforgiven, the LOK series is a world were everyone is treated badly, and there are really no good guys, the main good guys go through hell, and have to resort to evil means to succeed in saving the day. Another inspiration is Shakespeare, the characters in the games talk like they are from a Shakespearean play because they live in a mediaval world similar to that of Shakespeare's filled with sword and sorcery (Yes, there is some subtle hints of Conan as well, but this is an influence not by the creators of the original story but of the continuing story in Blood Omen 2). The story is also reminiscent of Shakespearean plays, with plot twists, suspense, good guys turning evil, bad guys turning good, and you never really knowing what's really going on. Causing you on occasion to think about the situation and think about what really happened, as well as the motives behind someone's actions. The voice acting is as good as watching the best actors in the world do Shakespeare. Unlike most Shakespearean plays, there's a lot of action, and the games are neither a Tragedy nor a Comedy. They are Action Adventure with the best story! Another thing is that the games often make you think about your moral values, and your ideology. Such questions as: "Is humanity really good? Is the fate of our planet sealed? Why do we argue? What really makes us human? What is our future? Why do we exist? What is our purpose? Who are we really?" do come up from time to time.

As for the newest game, what I can tell you is that according to official sources, the game will wrap up the story of the last four games and perhaps start a new one. Thus the newest game is the conclusion to the last four videogames. This is also why you get to play as both Raziel and Kain, it is their story after all. Think seeing the last movie to your favorite movie series, without seeing any of the others first.

fneh
2nd Oct 2003, 10:13
helpful as always I see?

he sired vorador

he is the reaver guardian. well was.

his heart was torn out by the sarafan. apparently the heart can restore vampiric unlife.

In BO2 he was alive during the time after his heart was torn out. He ended up getting thrown into the demon world, where janos and the rest of the ancients banished the hylden to.

darien_specter
3rd Oct 2003, 05:23
Well, Draken, I was with you up to "Unlike most Shakespearean plays, there's a lot of action..." Too bad for you I am a theatre major, with acting Shakespeare as one of my major emphases... :p Very good defense of the games, though, I must say! But...

No action in Shakespeare?? When was the last time you read one of his plays? I will admit that most high school English teachers manage to pretty much ruin the Bard. But there are plenty of good ways around that... and certainly much that such teachers miss! Take Hamlet for example... almost everyone winds up dead by the end! There's a conspiracy... a swordfight... stabbing Polonius behind the curtain... An even better example is Henry IV. And Henry V, for that matter... You want action? Try the War of the Roses onstage, along with the Hundred Years War with France... not to mention all of the incredibly bawdy humor with Falstaff! Now THERE's something you don't get in high school English... In fact, once you're aware of it, there is a ton of bawdy humor in many of the plays.

One thing that helps is to see the plays, rather than just reading them - that's how they were meant to be experienced! There are a number of fine films out there... you might try Richard III with Ian McKellan. That one is excellent...

Now, I'm not trying to berate you or anything! :) Shakespeare is just one of my passions... You really hit the nail on the head by connecting LoK to Shakespeare, though, because I think the series has a great deal of theatrical elements. Maybe I should write up a post about that some time... But really, check out a film, or find a nearby (quality!) performance. I think you might find yourself pleasantly surprised... :D

fneh
3rd Oct 2003, 08:47
shakespeare (sp? it doesn't look right to me) stole most of his ideas from other people and get the credit for it...

Draken
3rd Oct 2003, 22:45
Alright darien_specter, I said: "Unlike most Shakespearean plays(Not meaning all.), there's a lot of action." I never said Shakespeare's plays didn't have any action, I just said that the games of LOK have more action compared to most of Shakespeare's plays, once more, not all of them.

In response to someone else's comment, I have read quite a bit of Shakespeare, and I don't necessarily believe that Shakespeare stole most of his ideas from others and then received credit for it. I do believe that Shakespeare got inspiration from a variety of sources, including of course, actual events, but then he told the stories his way, restructuring them with his plays and made the stories, fun and entertaining for all. It is true that some high school English schoolteachers really destroy Shakespeare for others, and that is a real tragedy, for the plays are the archetypes for of our modern movies, videogames, etc. Without them media entertainment would probably not have gotten this far.

For a while I commented to others on how the LOK games were like Shakespeare's plays, then one day I found an article online that actually proves that Shakespeare's play had a hand as an inspiration for the LOK series. Here it is:

http://www.nosgoth.net/Blood_Omen/PSNinterview1.htm

kain lestat
4th Oct 2003, 17:08
this post is gonna be a real spoiler for those that haven't played soul reaver 2 blood omen 2

janos' is the protector of the blood reaver, or as he calls it the the the reaver. his heart was riped out after he met raziel in soul reaver 2. the time line that was created after soul reaver 2 ended was blood omen 2 (thats why blood omen 2 was created after soul reaver 2) and in blood omen 2 janos was thrown into the gate to the banished hylden. i think the final battle in defiance with janos, that the legacyofkain.com siad and think that the battle would probably be n the time line after blood omen2 because .......spoiler....... in soul reaver every body saw that janos was dead, and since raziel was a vampire he should know if a vampire could die that way, any ways i think in defiance, raziel revives janos and some how janos gets trped in the device untill blood omen2 and when he was thrown into the gate he must have returned and be "evil" somehow.

MOD EDIT: I added your SPOILER tags. If you require assistance on how to utilize them yourself, please review this thread. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24439) Thanks :)
~ Umah Bloodomen

Apocrypha Roxy
4th Oct 2003, 17:22
I agree that LoK is closely tied with Shakespeare relating to theatrical elements and whatnot - although I never took a Shakespeare class in HS (Julius Caesar in 8th grade ruined it for me), I can appreciate it.

Draken - your description is dead-on. You've explained all the details from a fan's point of view, and I think you should be quoted on the official site. :D Really, it's that good. I read it and said to myself "You know, he's right... yeah, that too! And that!"

There's no denying that LoK has numerous elements in it taken from great works from the past - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Amy has managed to pull it of expertly while creating an epic all her own. With the traces of religion and faith and classic drama in the story, I wouldn't be suprised if the tale became famous (in terms of EVERYONE knowing it, like Tomb Raider automatically makes you think Lara, and everyone knows who Lara is). I'd love to see Amy head a project that had the Legacy of Kain turned into a full novel. I'd certainly buy it. And with her leading it, we know it would stay original. The games themselves are an epic novel, divided into glorious chapters.

Glorious is one adjective I can think of to describe it.

If only all games had a story as compelling as ours. Convoluted and all, I wouldn't change it for the world. This is a thinking man's series of games, provoking you to actually use your grey matter. What other game has forums that delve deeper into what the dialogue means? What other forum sports theories about the intentions of other characters, and what the turn of events may be? Enlighten me, since I can't seem to find any. :D

Oh, and to actually answer the thread's original topic: :p

It seems Janos is a key player in all this. Although he's only had small parts in 2 games, he's been actually a part of the series since the original Blood Omen - the Heart of Darkness, with the ability to restore vampiric unlife; and the legend of Janos having it ripped from his chest.
This then ties into Raziel meeting him and discovering that his Sarafan self was Janos' murderer, seeing the dirty deed firsthand. Which makes Raziel determined to return the heart to Janos.
Then there's the whole thing with Janos being the key to Raziel's destiny - and he is, being the sole remaining being of his bloodline, waiting for the Messiah - who Raziel is prophecised as. They know him by name. There are murals in shrines that ONLY HE CAN OPEN that depict a Reaver-wielding being with blue skin and cloven hands and wings that look like him. The bangs are unmistakable. :p
And Janos enlightens a youthful Kain on who the Hylden are, what their role is/was, and why they must be stopped. And Kain is determined to prevent the Hylden from returning to Nosgoth, and using Raziel as the instrument to do so.
Again, Janos is a key player. What his intentions are, no one knows for sure. But he's important, and a critical part of the story.

Hope that answered your question. :)

darien_specter
4th Oct 2003, 23:20
Sorry if I was insulting, Draken! I never intended to be so... Like I said, I just get all fired up about the Bard. What can I say... But I clearly misread your comments, and I apologize.

Excellent point, by the way, on the source material. I'm taking an upper-level Shakespeare course in college right now, and we've examined some source material... rather boring, sometimes. It is also important to remember that in his day, taking a story from another source was not looked down on as much as it is today; in fact, an author was highly regarded if he could take an older story or work and refashion it in his own style. The charge that Shakespeare "ripped off" other people is therefore somewhat disingenuous...

And Roxy, what a wonderful defense of the series! That makes TWO outstanding defenses in this thread... yay! :D

Apocrypha Roxy
5th Oct 2003, 19:08
Thank you.

-curtseys deeply-

Omega
5th Oct 2003, 19:47
Originally posted by fneh
he is the reaver guardian. well was.

lmao!