PDA

View Full Version : European preorder

Spoonman
29th Sep 2003, 14:11
I'm sorry if it was already discussed, I must have missed the discussion if it was. Will there be or is there already a european preorder anywhere? And will the original US version available for abroad-US gamers?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Sep 2003, 14:26
I'm from Europe too

I haven't seen a pre-order anywhere, either for the US nor for a french version.

but there is a pre-order avalaible on amazon UK, with a release date february 6th, 2004.

(though I hope it will be available sooner, since it shouldn't need any translation from US to UK, so I can have it as soon as possible)

Trollslayer
29th Sep 2003, 15:58
Those wacky europeans, always changing minute words or toning down violence.

TehFreak
29th Sep 2003, 16:26
more likely that they just guessed at some time next year without any kind of definate details from the publisher

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Sep 2003, 07:31
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Those wacky europeans, always changing minute words or toning down violence.

I think it it more likely because they want to test every aspect of the game to choose what age players must be to play it.

(OK, let's say at least 30 hours play, play it at least 10 time to test everything, that's at least 300 hours, more likely 500, with 5 working days a week, 7 hours a day, that's around 10 to 15 weeks so test. ie 2.5 to 3.75 month. I think february is optimistic)

Trollslayer
30th Sep 2003, 07:40
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
I think it it more likely because they want to test every aspect of the game to choose what age players must be to play it.

(OK, let's say at least 30 hours play, play it at least 10 time to test everything, that's at least 300 hours, more likely 500, with 5 working days a week, 7 hours a day, that's around 10 to 15 weeks so test. ie 2.5 to 3.75 month. I think february is optimistic)

I said "those wacky europeans" in a good way, because i'm also european.

Though "we" do have some sort of paranoia with it. We had our own version of censoring of console games in the 8 and 16 bit era, as far as i remember. They censored the most ridiculous things (we and Nintendo of America). Nintendo removed things like the glow of a cross in one NES Castlevania, but left the cross. And there were also the variant game covers, substituting human characters with robots and good words with meaningless tripe (look at the original Contra cover then look at the Probotector version).

(I also clearly remember being frustrated for having the wish to buy Secret of Mana 2 when it came out, only to find out the only place that had it in Europe was Germany. $&#@$&"!€, i said, but to no avail. There was also emulation many years after but it wasn't the same :( )

But i usually disregard the ratings and am annoyed by the waiting time of releases. The kind of ratings usually doesn't mean diddly squat. I mean whats the point really? Whatever age a game is targeted at, people will call it "the best game evah!" and others will say it incites violence. Ratings are just there to be bothersome.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Sep 2003, 09:01
I said "those wacky europeans" in a good way, because i'm also european.

(I had guessed. American usually sleep at this time)

but I didn't remember a lot of games been censored , at least in France.

but after all, I'm only playing since 1995, so I don't really know what happened before. and I usually don't play the kind of games that get censored.

hmmm I remember a big discussion about "Carmaggedon", though. it was after this game they decided to write age limits on game boxes. (but no law was made to ensure the buyers had the required age, so it's merely an indication).

Trollslayer
30th Sep 2003, 10:00
Yeah Carmageddon was one of many scapegoats. Just like Postal, and GTA. Hell, even Night Trap for Sega CD. The problem is, many of these so-called violent games had more hype because of them being forbidden but weren't good games. I mean, Carmageddon was not that good. Running over pedestrians gets old, and fast (i mean, drive a Cheetah on GTA's sidewalks and you know what i mean :D ). Postal 1 was tolearable, but 2... same with Night Trap which had very bad acting . but it was eeeeeeevil because of the ladies wearing few clothes! The horror, the horror....

I mean i remember playing some very old games with some violence. From graphical adventures to platformers, there was "violence" of sorts, nowadays its more mediatized, and people point at them in denial of looking at themselves. But i mean why blame it on man's creations when man is the violent one? If we accept that man can create love, we sure as hell can accept he can create hate. Pointing our fingers at an electronic interactive game as the evil that corrupts children is proof enough we're becoming more and more hypocrit, media-driven unwashed masses.

:eek: OMG i really need coffee if i start typing things that instantly remind me of "We are the world" :D

blackeye
1st Oct 2003, 00:08
Originally posted by Trollslayer
... remind me of "We are the world" :D

from "we are the world, we are the children ?"

sorry :D

and no pre-order here either ...

Trollslayer
1st Oct 2003, 09:42
Originally posted by blackeye
from "we are the world, we are the children ?"

sorry :D