PDA

View Full Version : GF4 TI4800 128 MB or GF FX5600 256 MB?

alt-x
29th Sep 2003, 14:01
Hi,

I won't play compter games too much. But there are two games that I want play: DX:Invisible war and Half life 2.

Now I am planning to buy new graphic card for those 2 games. But I don't now, what is better for me. GF4 TI4800 128 MB or GF FX5600 256 MB?

I red, that GF4 is better in games, that not support DX9. GF FX5600 is worse in nonDX9 games, but not bad.

I want best performance, but if DX:IW or HL2 will support some DX9 functions, I would rather to see some "DX9 effects" (but not for performance lose).

Is there anyone, who can help me with decision?

Thanks

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Sep 2003, 14:12
please refer to this post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23226) where everything has already been said

Lawnboy360
29th Sep 2003, 16:04
I want best performance, but if DX:IW or HL2 will support some DX9 functions, I would rather to see some "DX9 effects" (but not for performance lose).

HL2 has plenty of DX9 features, in good part because valve has a deal with ATi and ATi's cards are much faster in DX9 than nVidia's (and it's not because of HL2, Carmack said it was the same in Doom3, so they changed the code for GeForceFX's DX9 effects, but according to him it doesn't make much image quality difference in Doom3 because it uses little DX9 features.)

If you want to see DX9 stuff in HL2 (or in other games) you should get a Radeon 9600 instead. If the choice is between the 5600 and the 4800 I think you shoudl get the 4800. I don't think there's much DX9 features if any in DXIW.

James Warren
29th Sep 2003, 19:11
alt-x{
I won't play computer games too much. But there are two games that I want play: DX:Invisible war and Half life 2.
. . . what is better for me. GF4 TI4800 128 MB or GF FX5600 256 MB?
. . . I would rather to see some "DX9 effects" (but not for performance lose).
}

This is not going to be the answer that you want but I will share this opinion with you anyway because we seem to have a similar circumstance with regard to our current gaming habits. DX1 "ruined" me for most other games. If they don't have that depth of play I am no longer interested. But I WILL get and play DX2 no matter how long it is delayed or how well it is optimized for the PC. HL2 is SO promising to me that I just can't wait to play the thing. And the amazing videos that I have of it make me want to play this thing with ALL of the features turned on. I will feel cheated with anything less than the best look that this game can give me. I want to play in the rain with the glare from that shiny wet metal roof top on those slippery looking roof tiles with that VERY wet looking ant lion wiping it's "eyes" in that oh so realistic downpour. I also want to experiment with their new modding software.

So my advice is to WAIT, while saving money leveraged by the dropping price of hardware, for the ATI 9800 XT (with the HL2 bundle) to appear and then to choose between the ATI 9800, ATI 9800 pro and ATI 9800 XT at THAT time taking into consideration how much you will save on the HL2 purchase.

Lawnboy360
30th Sep 2003, 01:58
and then to choose between the ATI 9800, ATI 9800 pro and ATI 9800 XT at THAT time taking into consideration how much you will save on the HL2 purchase.

The 9700 Pro is getting pretty cheap, starting at 257$ on pricewatch.com, and it's only slightly slower than a 9800, and much faster than a GFX5600 or Radeon9600.

NamelessOne
30th Sep 2003, 04:13
Originally posted by alt-x
Hi,

I won't play compter games too much. But there are two games that I want play: DX:Invisible war and Half life 2.

Now I am planning to buy new graphic card for those 2 games. But I don't now, what is better for me. GF4 TI4800 128 MB or GF FX5600 256 MB?

I red, that GF4 is better in games, that not support DX9. GF FX5600 is worse in nonDX9 games, but not bad.

Is there anyone, who can help me with decision?

Thanks

Why not go for a Radeon 9600 Pro and get performance and DX9 support?

blackeye
30th Sep 2003, 16:27
check this out:

hl2 preformance comparison

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1863

James Warren
30th Sep 2003, 19:50
Yes this is another evaluation of the meaning of Valve's "Shader day" declaration which has left me absolutely "gob smacked" with it's watershed implications for future computer games.
Everyone here has been too polite to say it outright Alt-X, but the meaning for you of the "Shader day" declaration is that you are shopping for the wrong Video cards with which to play HL2 and all future games developed on the source engine. The "performance" angle you mention is the "absolute" rendering and coloring through put of direct x 8 and below that Nvidia has concentrated on in it's hardware. The "conditional" rendering and coloring (vertex and pixel shaders) is what will be required in HL2. ATI clearly has produced the superior product here. So superior, in fact (as revealed in the "Shader Day" declaration), that all current Nvidia hardware is completely obsolete (I really don't think that "obsolete" is too strong a term here.)

So let me be the "rude" one and urge you not to shop for obsolete technology with which to play HL2.

James Warren
1st Oct 2003, 19:07
Lawnboy360{
The 9700 Pro is getting pretty cheap, starting at 257$ on pricewatch.com, and it's only slightly slower than a 9800, and much faster than a GFX5600 or Radeon9600.
}

Yes, I think that this is just the begining of a buyers market for certain of the older video cards. I just came from "Best Buy" this morning and they have the 9800 Pro 128 MB on sale for $350.00 and the 9800 128 MB non-pro for $250. They also install them there for $40 (for the "technically declined".) They have no word yet on the 9800 XT.

My fear is that a lot of people are going to be tempted by what they think is a super bargain for Nvidia hardware only to find out that it will not do what they want it to do with HL2 and it's DX9 cousins. Or as Gabe Newell put it in the Shader Day event "Our customers will be pissed!"

NamelessOne
2nd Oct 2003, 02:46
Originally posted by James Warren
is that you are shopping for the wrong Video cards with which to play HL2 and all future games developed on the source engine.

If it was just HL2, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But every DirectX 9 benchmark, especially those with heavy use of shader (The next big thing in Gaming Engines) shows nVidias FX line struggling badly.

John Carmack (who is sort of an nVidida fanboy) and Gabe Newell both stated that to get their games running moderately well on nVidia's Geforce FX series they had to design a special game specific codepath for them. This codepath has reduced floating point precision as well as other features cut. This means they have problems with OpenGL too (JC's Doom 3 engine is OpenGL).

And since the optimisations are game specific, any developer wanting games to run on the FX series will have to do them theirselves. Most won't have the time or money to do this, and will probably just end up treating the FX series as DirectX 8 cards.