PDA

View Full Version : What do the best 1st/3rd person shooters have in common?

nycgamer
23rd Sep 2003, 18:12
What attributes do you think makes a shooting game really good? Which games do you think set the standard?

AB-109
23rd Sep 2003, 23:20
Guns is a start :D

Captin Snow
23rd Sep 2003, 23:36
I don't like 3rd person much just because of the sluggish controls, bad aiming, and you can't see a huge gun in front of you. Though GTA is an acception, considering you get to fire at old people and prostitutes and take their money.

nitz
24th Sep 2003, 00:18
A mind-blowing gimmick. Max Payne had bullet time, evry time you set up a scene where you dove over a table, head-pinged five guys, then paused it so the camera scanned, your jaw dropped. Also, Captin Snow, this is another exception to the third person genre sluggishness. Timesplitter's gimmick was a mind-blowing multiplayer and great replay value. GTA3 had blended great gunfights and interesting missions, with a solid driving system, though the AI eats ***. Moh games provided that real atmosphere and the fact that we got to reply some of the most famous battles in history. Just My opinion......

CHEERS :D

the_internet_king
24th Sep 2003, 15:13
Originally posted by Captin Snow
you get to fire at old people and prostitutes and take their money. Thats defintaly on the top of my 'what makes a great shooter' list :D

nycgamer
24th Sep 2003, 19:31
Originally posted by nitz
A mind-blowing gimmick. Max Payne had bullet time, evry time you set up a scene where you dove over a table, head-pinged five guys, then paused it so the camera scanned, your jaw dropped. Also, Captin Snow, this is another exception to the third person genre sluggishness. Timesplitter's gimmick was a mind-blowing multiplayer and great replay value. GTA3 had blended great gunfights and interesting missions, with a solid driving system, though the AI eats ***. Moh games provided that real atmosphere and the fact that we got to reply some of the most famous battles in history. Just My opinion......

CHEERS :D

Your opinion pretty much matches mine. I would define great shooters as having the following traits;

1. smooth, well-controlled action
2. well-structured, interactive environments
3. excellent graphics
4. fun weapons
5. excellent A.I. (well, at least by what's possible)
6. excellent multiplayer action & maps
7. online play
8. scary enemies
9. lots of useable vehicles
10. compelling plot/story

While not all of my favorite shooting games have every single one of these traits, the following is my list of shooting games which are excellent in at least several of these areas;

Shooters I have that I feel are exceptional:

XBOX:

007 Nightfire
Brute Force
Conflict: Desert Storm
Dead To Rights
Enter The Matrix
Ghost Recon
Halo
Hitman 2
Indiana Jones: Emperor’s Tomb
Max Payne
Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Splinter Cell
Time Splitters 2
Unreal Championship

PS2:

GTA Vice City
GTA3
Medal of Honor Frontline
Metal Gear Solid 2
SOCOM Navy Seals
The Getaway
Time Splitters
Unreal Tournament

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil Zero

PC:

Mafia
RTCW Tides of War
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault / Spearhead
Battlefield 1942 / Road To Rome
Soldier of Fortune 2
Vietcong
Rainbow Six 3
No One Lives Forever 2
Iron Storm
Tomb Raider 3

Shooters I feel will most likely continue the standard of excellence:

Kill Switch
Halo 2
Deus Ex 2
Half Life 2
S.W.A.T. Global Strike Team
Metal Gear Solid 3
Max Payne 2
Painkiller
Far Cry
Hitman 3

robofishzombie
24th Sep 2003, 22:43
Originally posted by nycgamer
8. scary enemies

You can't really judge TimeSplitters on that one.

I mean, how can you be scared when blowing up a character like Duckman Drake with a rocket launcher ;)

KittenCeleste
25th Sep 2003, 05:57
Originally posted by robofishzombie
I mean, how can you be scared when blowing up a character like Duckman Drake with a rocket launcher ;)

LOL :D

Too true...

*gets Flamethrower out from purse*
Roast Monkey, anyone?? ;)

the_internet_king
25th Sep 2003, 15:05
Originally posted by nycgamer

PC:

Mafia
RTCW Tides of War
Medal Of Honor Allied Assault / Spearhead
Battlefield 1942 / Road To Rome
Soldier of Fortune 2
Vietcong
Rainbow Six 3
No One Lives Forever 2
Iron Storm
Tomb Raider 3
[/i]

Hitman 3
[/i]
i belive rtcw tides of war is on x-box althoug the pc version is by far the best pc fps :D

nycgamer
25th Sep 2003, 18:09
Originally posted by the_internet_king
i belive rtcw tides of war is on x-box althoug the pc version is by far the best pc fps :D

Yeah, RTCW is amazing. I have it both on Xbox and PC. I played the Xbox version a few times through and just HAD to see how it looks on PC. It's one of my all-time favorite games. I have MOH Frontline on PS2 and got MOH Allied Assault and Spearhead for PC. The PC version of the Normandy Beach invasion is by FAR more intense than the PS2 version. Much more drawn-out, bigger and more difficult. It's great. There's not as big a difference between Xbox and PC as there is between PS2 and PC. But there is still a difference in little ways, like slightly more graphical detail. I still want to get shooters on Xbox though, like Kill Switch (http://www.killswitch.com). Half-Life 2, I'll probably get both for PC and Xbox. Kill Switch looks great on Xbox already;

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/killswitch8.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/killswitchdesertScreen.jpg
http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/killswitch2.jpg

nycgamer
26th Sep 2003, 18:26
BTW, I was completely bummed when I found out they put a stop on the development of Red Dead Revolver. It was looking so good from the screens I saw. When are they going to make a truly great wild west shooter? We could certainly use one. That wild west level in Time Splitters 2 really got me in the mood for that.

doctorwho
27th Sep 2003, 20:33
:eek:
you have forgotter to mention the god of all forstperson shooters
:D

doctorwho
27th Sep 2003, 20:35
GOLDENEYE 007

the_internet_king
27th Sep 2003, 20:40
another good game is hitman 2 :D