PDA

View Full Version : ID Cards For The UK

Notts Raider
23rd Sep 2003, 13:49
Should we be made to carry ID cards?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39364000/jpg/_39364602_asylum203body.jpg

David Blunkett says he wants to push on with plans to introduce national identity cards, and wants a bill for their introduction to be included in the Queen's Speech.

The Home Secretary claims to have no idea how many illegal immigrants are in the country and blames this on the absence of ID cards.

He says that in his view no-one should be able to work or claim benefits without one, and that they would help track illegal immigrants and restrict access to public services.

But shadow home secretary Oliver Letwin has said that the government have not thought the "half-baked" system through and it would prove unworkable.

We should remember that countries where ID cards are compulsory have as much fraud and crime as we do. It is a myth to think it would stop such activity. Criminals will simply find other ways of cheating the system, while the rest of us have the expense and inconvenience of carrying these cards.

In Britain today, people have willingly traded their privacy for greater convenience. The result has been that we have taken up credit and loyalty cards to such an extent that more than 90% of the public carry a piece of plastic in their wallet. The growth of internet services - be they online book shops, banks or supermarkets - has seen people give up unprecedented amounts of information to large commercial databases. The government would like to replicate the perceived efficiencies of these private services. In this sense, ID cards are just one expression of the largely invisible, but vast process of the collection and computerisation of personal information that is under way. In the public sphere, the 44m passports, 38m driving licences are evidence of this trend. New technology and the political upheaval caused by September 11 has also given this process extra momentum.

All your movements, where you've been, who you've been with, what time you've been there, your shopping habbits, what you eat, when you eat. It will all be on a big database, why do you think you already get junk mail with your name on. , Your information is sold to other interested parties. Its a tracking device concealed as a benefit. Definately no thanks.

If you say you agree with all or most of the above and its what you want, then become part this 'Brave New World' or the sci-fi nightmares we read about and watch. Cut through the illusion and make the connection (wake up and smell the coffee) people.

bene1
23rd Sep 2003, 17:31
Precursor to 666?

We'll all be reading or hearing more about ID theft...............and the only way to combat it will be the embedded ID chip which is already in use for animals. Next step................you and me?

" Moreover, it did not allow a man to buy or sell anything
unless he was first marked with the name of the beast or
with the number that stood for it's name (666)"

REVELATION 13

Interesting, no? How a book written 2,000 years ago can relate to 21st century technological "advances".

BeKs
23rd Sep 2003, 17:36
I agree ID cards in my opinion will be a very bad thing. Basically they wanna know where you are every second of the day. They wanna control every aspect of your life they can.

Census? I dont fill it in ... Voting forms? I dont fill them in either, Its all about information .. they want it and we are quite happy to fill in all this crap.

Big Brother is watching you ...

I agree with you 100% Im not paranoid but im not stupid either. ;)