PDA

View Full Version : Alex Denton as a girl?

Coldie
21st Sep 2003, 23:30
I completed the game awhile back and I just read that you're able to see Alex D in one of the canisters in the final area, so I went back and took a look and... there is no WAY the person in there could be a woman...

Montial
21st Sep 2003, 23:50
Heheh, if they put a half naked female model in there, the game would have been burned at the stake :)

Coldie
22nd Sep 2003, 00:04
I'm guessing they didn't plan on having a male or female character selection for DE2 or else they would have like covered up the Alex D in the chamber or something... I mean, it's DEFINITELY a guy!

Picasso
22nd Sep 2003, 00:16
Actually, they wanted to have a female option in DX but eventually couldn't due to budget constraints and lack of disk space. When they started DX2 they made sure that it was a priority.

I don't know for sure, but it might be more accurate to say they didn't expect there'd be a DX2.

Coldie
22nd Sep 2003, 02:35
So then why the "Alex D" in Deus Ex 1? Wasn't that a bit of foreshadowing for the next game?

discovery1
22nd Sep 2003, 04:13
There is nothing there really. Probably a hologram. If you don't believe me, shoot it with the GEP gun.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Sep 2003, 13:48
I think I read a looong argument on a forum (though I don't remember if it was here or on Ion storm forum), about the fact that the clone for Alex wasn't a real body in DX1

in fact, since the developpers didn't explain it, it could be that the real Alex was in another facility (which would be logical for the sequel), and this is only a hologram made to decieve trespassers coming with bad intentions (such as JC).

or it could be that they forgot to put the "solid" switch to "1"

Hannibal
22nd Sep 2003, 14:52
The thing in the tank looks like an asexual it.

Orinoco
22nd Sep 2003, 15:55
I think the Alex D in DX1 was just in the process of being grown. Just like JC and Paul were grown before.

For those of you who have seen 'The 6th Day' it was a blank, ready to have a real person's DNA inserted.

So Alex could well end up being either male or female, and named cleverly so you could choose.

Montial
22nd Sep 2003, 22:28
That was a very male looking 'blank copy'.

Coldie
23rd Sep 2003, 03:56
idd... anyone have a screenies so we can all take another look?

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Sep 2003, 08:41
ok, ot relaunch the debate, Alex couldn't have been in Area51 at the time JC visited it, or (s)he would have been destroyed.

so we can safely assume it wasn't the same Alex.

Orinoco
23rd Sep 2003, 09:21
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
Alex couldn't have been in Area51 at the time JC visited it, or (s)he would have been destroyed.

That depends entirely on which ending you chose.....

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Sep 2003, 09:57
no, since the developper said they mixed the three ending. so Area 51 HAS BEEN destroyed at the end of DX1

Coldie
23rd Sep 2003, 23:03
I believe what they meant by that is that the gameworld is in such a state that any one of the three endings could have been picked. The world could conceivably be the way it is in the game whether you had joined with helios, joined the Illuminati, or blown the place. What I can't imagine is how they'll somehow not make it evident as to whether JC has joined with Helios or not when you meet him... wouldn't his voice give away whether he's joined with Helios or not?

jakedenton
24th Sep 2003, 04:54
When you start a game in DX2 it asks you choose race, gender, and face and then you 'clone' your character. And as for JC merging with Helios and his voice giving that away, no one has heard him talk yet. There's no videos let alone screen shots of him in DX2 yet. And Alex as a girl isn't bad at all. I played as her and I thought it was cool.
From what I played so far, I was really impressed too. So whether you choose male or female, you'll have a great time. And who only plays these games once anyway? I've played DX1 about a dozen times. I'll easily surpass that in DX 2 knowing what I know now.

Long Live Tracer Tong!

Coldie
24th Sep 2003, 04:59
Originally posted by jakedenton
When you start a game in DX2 it asks you choose race, gender, and face and then you 'clone' your character. And as for JC merging with Helios and his voice giving that away, no one has heard him talk yet. There's no videos let alone screen shots of him in DX2 yet.
In Deus Ex 1, as soon as he joined with Helios his voice changed. If you talk to him in Deus Ex 2 and he sounds like that, then it will be proof that he joined with Helios. If he doesn't sound like that, then it will be proof that he didn't join with Helios. Right?

Originally posted by jakedenton
And Alex as a girl isn't bad at all. I played as her and I thought it was cool.
From what I played so far, I was really impressed too. So whether you choose male or female, you'll have a great time.
Who said it won't be fun? I was just questioning how it would be possible for Alex to be a girl considering the Alex Denton in Deux Ex 1 was a guy. Apparently the one you'll be controlling is another close, however...

TheDerf
24th Sep 2003, 05:48
It can't be too hard to write up an explanation for this. Like... you know how new born babies are soft and such because they haven't developed hard layers of skin? Well, if I were the dude in the chamber, my skin would be soft a malleable because I'm constantly in water. A female Alex could be shaped from an original male Alex.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
24th Sep 2003, 10:58
In Deus Ex 1, as soon as he joined with Helios his voice changed. If you talk to him in Deus Ex 2 and he sounds like that, then it will be proof that he joined with Helios. If he doesn't sound like that, then it will be proof that he didn't join with Helios. Right?

unless in 15 years he has learnt to speak with his normal voice to avoid being detected by basically anyone who hears him speaking