PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you need to laugh when you feel sad..



dhama
21st Sep 2003, 20:53
I read a review about TRAOD, and just found myself amused at the choice of words used, but on the other hand felt sad that hey!, this is my Tomb Raider; someone feels it necessary to grab a titter or two from.............
Now I don't know how I feel about the whole thing :confused:

Part of the review...
.......The control system has also spectacularly failed to evolve – when you’re trying to get away from an exploding fireball as quickly as possible, it’s frankly laughable that Lara has to first rotate on the spot like pig on a spit, then take a few narcoleptic steps into the wall before getting stuck on a rock and having to be backed out like a milk float in a cul-de-sac.....

The rest can be found: HERE. (http://www.pcformat.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=18442&subsectionid=680)

angeleyes
21st Sep 2003, 21:21
This review was very hard. I didn't like it, because i love the game, of course that the game have some things bad, but... however, I was a little shocked when i read all the review.

:(

nowalruses
21st Sep 2003, 22:55
I don't think the reviewer was saying anything new about the game that hasn't been said here, albeit it was said more colorfully. But, it is sad that reviewers are still feeling the need to rag on the game after almost 3 months. I'm sure that by now most of us are painfully aware of whatever shortcomings AOD had. Crappier games than this come out all the time; surely there's got to be something else out there to catch their attention and incur their wrath.

CatSuit&Ponytail
27th Sep 2003, 11:15
Interesting choice of words yourself, there, dhama. ;) :p

TombRaiderChik
27th Sep 2003, 13:17
critics :rolleyes:

Scream 2
27th Sep 2003, 20:55
Originally posted by nowalruses
I don't think the reviewer was saying anything new about the game that hasn't been said here, albeit it was said more colorfully. But, it is sad that reviewers are still feeling the need to rag on the game after almost 3 months. I'm sure that by now most of us are painfully aware of whatever shortcomings AOD had. Crappier games than this come out all the time; surely there's got to be something else out there to catch their attention and incur their wrath.

a little game called Fame Academy is coming out...

RebeL_fARmeR
29th Sep 2003, 16:02
Heh, that little quote was funny though!!!

I'll agree with it, actually. Not because someone else said it but because I had that problem myself. Like when fighting Boaz, I try to make Kurtis run away quickly. He rotates slowly, takes a few casual steps forwards and gets eaten because he went too slow.
I also get "snagged" on the scenery all the time, when you catch the scenery you'll randomly rotate as the game engine tries to work it out. This one time I clipped a rock and rotated 180°!!!

DOH!

Hate to say it... but HEY, that's how it happened! :(

baylisst
30th Sep 2003, 18:33
ive never had problems with any tomb raider game controls, they probably critisize (sp :confused: ) because they never actually spend any time trying to get used to the controls. i wont hold it against them though, as theyve only got a limited time to write the reviews

TRaiderGurl
2nd Oct 2003, 04:33
Originally posted by RebeL_fARmeR
Like when fighting Boaz, I try to make Kurtis run away quickly. He rotates slowly, takes a few casual steps forwards and gets eaten because he went too slow.
I actually had no problem with Boaz. I just stayed on her side and ran next to her as i was shooting. It was not a problem at all, i just held down the run button.

MountainDewNut
2nd Oct 2003, 05:11
The game was too poor in my opinoin. I enjoyed it, but it was too buggy. The only reason that I'm keepiong the game is cause I want to collect all the TR's. Boaz wasn't too much a of a problem, but that creature that lived inside of it was a little. it was a cinch to beat it cause it never attacked, but once it laid down, Kurtis kept aiming at it, so natrually I kept shooting. I kept thinking that it was going to pull a natla and jump up and start attacking again. After aboutfive minutes of shooting and running around it, the cunscene finally was triggered. I walked up to that thing so many times, and the cutscene wasn't triggered for the longest time.

XanderD2
2nd Oct 2003, 07:02
Originally posted by RebeL_fARmeR
Heh, that little quote was funny though!!!

I'll agree with it, actually. Not because someone else said it but because I had that problem myself. Like when fighting Boaz, I try to make Kurtis run away quickly. He rotates slowly, takes a few casual steps forwards and gets eaten because he went too slow.
I also get "snagged" on the scenery all the time, when you catch the scenery you'll randomly rotate as the game engine tries to work it out. This one time I clipped a rock and rotated 180°!!!

DOH!

Hate to say it... but HEY, that's how it happened! :(

Yup, I had the same experience. Of course, once you figure out what to do, you can beat her fairly easily, but let's imagine a situation where Boaz is a nimble and cunning beast, but you have to use the same controls. In the words of a Capt. Tarpals from SW Ep 1., that would be 'Ouch time, Jar Jar'. ;)