PDA

View Full Version : One thing that Tomb Raider SERIOUSLY needs...

RebeL_fARmeR
21st Sep 2003, 20:14
Difficulty settings! You should be able to choose between easy, medium or hard. Say for easy you could have the Louvre guards with tazers, like they do. Medium they could have tazers and sometimes pistols. Hard they should all have pistols. Then there's no reason for people to be dissapointed because the game's too easy/hard.

I hope crystal dynamics put this into the next Tomb Raider game

Tipsko
21st Sep 2003, 20:46
I disagree.

Tomb Raider doesn't need difficulty settings. Maybe it should have something like 'this way is the easy way to get to point B but if you take the hard way you can grab some great secrets!'

Tipsko

dhama
21st Sep 2003, 20:58
Have to agree with Tipsko here, but if there was one improvement i'd like to see; get her back into tombs where it's cold, dank and spooky. Now where's my copy of TR1............

Notts Raider
21st Sep 2003, 21:22
Originally posted by dhama
Now where's my copy of TR1............

I've got it and you're not having it back until i've finished http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/1271.gif

Seriously it only needs one level setting and that is hard, anything easier takes all the pleasure out of playing. And how do you make it easier to find things or change the puzzles

nowalruses
21st Sep 2003, 22:43
Sorry Rebel, I have to agree with everyone else on this one. Part of the fun, and sometimes frustration, is finding ways to beat those really difficult, nearly impossible parts. Where's the well-earned satisfaction if you can just go in and make a part as easy as you need it to be?

Mgardiner
22nd Sep 2003, 05:29
Id like to see less tombs and more Jungle/South Pacific..man I still play the South Pacific levels in TR3 lol the the first one with the huge beach the cavern, etc... man Iam gonna go play it again! lol

RebeL_fARmeR
24th Sep 2003, 21:16
(Blubbers in sorrow) :(

:D

Yay, obviously we can't reposition objects and re-map the level but I'm referring to the TYPE of enemies and QUANTITY of items you encounter. Say if you had it set to hard mode there might be lots of gun-toting enemies running around but a lack of medikits and ammunition to destroy them.

I think I'll set my OWN difficulty levels in the future. Say, disallow myself from killing any enemy that doesn't use projectile weaponry, disallow myself from picking up small medipacks (large only). I tried this in TR1, leaving all the dinosours alive in the lost valley, GREAT FUN!!!

:)

WesternWhiteWolf
25th Sep 2003, 02:14
I agree with Tipsko. Difficulty settings suck. Especially because whenever I play those sorts of games, only have the guts to play the Easy mode!:o Someday, SOMEDAY I'll get around to playing the hard parts!

Tipsko
25th Sep 2003, 16:44
Quote:

"You're a big boy, you can handle it"

;)

Mangar The Dark
25th Sep 2003, 19:54
I'm with ya Rebel!!!

Difficulty settings would be a good thing, and I don't understand the logic in anyone who disagrees. Fine, if you like a tough game, choose the TOUGH setting. But if you don't like it tough, choose the EASY setting. This way, everybody's happy.

Believe me, I would have loved to have difficulty settings for TR2! Having to shoot every enemy countless times before they died got very annoying (and it wouldn't have been as bad if they're weren't SO MANY enemies.) The option to tone down the enemy quotient would have been welcomed. That way I could have focused on what exploring, which happens to be what I enjoy about the TR games.

So you have one supporter now, Rebel! Feel any better?

nowalruses
27th Sep 2003, 17:49
Originally posted by RebeL_fARmeR
(Blubbers in sorrow) :(

:D

Yay, obviously we can't reposition objects and re-map the level but I'm referring to the TYPE of enemies and QUANTITY of items you encounter. Say if you had it set to hard mode there might be lots of gun-toting enemies running around but a lack of medikits and ammunition to destroy them.

I think I'll set my OWN difficulty levels in the future. Say, disallow myself from killing any enemy that doesn't use projectile weaponry, disallow myself from picking up small medipacks (large only). I tried this in TR1, leaving all the dinosours alive in the lost valley, GREAT FUN!!!

:)

Yeah, it's a blast the second or third time through to see what kind of stuff you can get away with. You get to find out if you're really as good as you think you are. I wonder how far I could get without using the walk button.....?

Kanji
6th Oct 2003, 00:02
I posted this idea in another thread somewhere, but this is what I think about different difficulty levels...

Like some other games (devil may cry springs to mind) there should be difficulty levels that are unlocked upon completing the game. However the difficulty should not just be increased by having more or tougher enemies - although that could be part of the difficulty level. No, instead, the rather poorly implemented upgrade system in AoD could come into its own...

In EASY mode there are areas that Lara cannot access due to her being insufficiently strong/fast etc. However to complete this mode she wouldn't need to go to these places. As she progresses through the levels she would get better weapons and increase her abilities in some SENSIBLE manner - i.e. finding climbing gloves to increase her grip or running shoes to increase her speed etc. not "push a box - ooh I feel stronger now" - that is silly. There could also be temporary strength upgrades - those choccy bars for example...

Anyway, at the EASY mode, puzzles would need, for example 2 keys to progress.

As the player starts the MEDIUM mode, the upgrades gained from EASY mode are maintained - so the previously inaccessible areas become accessible, enabling the player to get hold of the extra keys/clues needed to complete the now more difficult puzzles... Objects could be repositioned, and if the levels weren't so teeny weeny and linear exploration could still be encouraged...

finally, HARD mode would have even more accessible areas and tougher puzzles (as well as fewer medipacs, more bad guys, etc.)

Finally, if the player completes hard mode, then an extra level a la "Allhallows" (TR3) becomes available.

Now that sounds like replayability! What do you think?

scoobified
6th Oct 2003, 18:21
I don't think it needs a difficulty level. I didn't find this game too terribly hard. I would think the only excetpion would be the massive wall climb in the Hall of Seasons. I do agree w/dhama, I think they should get her back into some tombs or even caves. Something along those lines. The Series is "Tomb Raider". It would only make sense.

Kanji
7th Oct 2003, 00:02
I don't think we want difficulty levels because the game is too hard... it is too EASY!!!

but yes, she should be raiding tombs, there is no doubt about that.

thanhkim
7th Oct 2003, 15:25
I like that idea cause then you get to hear Kurtis at least and more folks would finish the game.

YigoLost_TheLostTomb
7th Oct 2003, 18:39
**** difficult settings, I just want a better game!!!:rolleyes: If you cant handle the game being too easy/too hard, turn it off or dont even buy it. I think they should make it more MENTALLY challenging, period! Not that stupid crap when you gotta jump on wood logs while wind blows. It just pisses you off!

Different levels settings of the game is just stupid, the game isnt that challenging enough for that to even be an option.

I WANT MY TOMBS, BIATCH!