PDA

View Full Version : Will this game have a "gore switch?"

Inferno1000
17th Sep 2003, 03:57
will this game have the ability (like the last one ) to toggle the blood and gore?

AlteredGlyph
17th Sep 2003, 04:27
Nobody knows, but I personally think it will, as some people prefer the high gore, while others do not, and DX2 is trying to accomodate many diffrent types of people in this game.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 12:54
I think most of the FPS and RPG today have a goreswitch, and DX:IW being both, I suppose there will be one.

But I can say I absolutely don't care if it's there or not. If I don't want gore on my screen I just sneak in instead of blowing everybody's head off

Frost Giant
17th Sep 2003, 12:58
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
Nobody knows, but I personally think it will, as some people prefer the high gore, while others do not, and DX2 is trying to accomodate many diffrent types of people in this game.

Ditto. Also, contrary to what most people seem to believe, this game is meant to be an improvement upon the last. DX 1 had a "gore switch" on the options screen. So I can say with 99% certainty that it will have a gore switch.;)

Godwin
17th Sep 2003, 13:23
i think Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames(how do u pronounce it anyway?) brought up an important point, if you want to kill, the game will make it seem real, with blood and ragdoll physics, it will make you think "i just killed a human", so it's your choice, either sneak in or burst in

and what's wrong with gore anyway? it's real, and DX being a realistic game, it should not be missing in the game as well, im sick of seeing games these days not having a single drop of blood at all when you gun people down with a heavy machine gun

Bio Denton
17th Sep 2003, 13:36
What about a bludgeon switch, eh?

Knockout? No! Bludgeon :)

Trollslayer
17th Sep 2003, 15:50
Originally posted by Godwin
and what's wrong with gore anyway? it's real, and DX being a realistic game, it should not be missing in the game as well, im sick of seeing games these days not having a single drop of blood at all when you gun people down with a heavy machine gun

Its to avoid pressure by annoying parental comitees which believe red pixels and polygons being thrust out of the same area as player models = kids going into violent rampages.

Machinax
17th Sep 2003, 16:44
I think I remember reading a Spector interview where he said the game wouldn't have a gore toggle, since he wanted to reinforce the ramifications of killing, and you can't do that with the blood turned off.

XIII
17th Sep 2003, 18:26
yop I agree with Machinax, Spector said he wanted players to see the consequences of their actions.

The Corinthian
18th Sep 2003, 00:13
Well, I suspect that there will be a goreswitch, at least to partially assuage the outrageous anti-violence in games groups. As to kids going on shooting sprees, I can tell you the real cause: Bad Parenting!

XIII
18th Sep 2003, 16:02
I think this game is not intended for little children...
DeusEx 1 was for people over 16 (in France)

Merces Letifer
18th Sep 2003, 20:20
I remember Spector mentioning that he wouldn't include a gore switch for two reasons:

1)The gore isn't over the top (IE probably just small smoke puffs when a body is hit and maybe blood pools, but no hit decals), and the ragdolls aren't as visceral as they could be (Rainbow Six has some interesting bone-breaking positions, although it was a bug).

2)Reinforce the ramifications, as was mentioned earlier.

soeren
18th Sep 2003, 22:15
Originally posted by Merces Letifer
I remember Spector mentioning that he wouldn't include a gore switch for two reasons:

1)The gore isn't over the top (IE probably just small smoke puffs when a body is hit and maybe blood pools, but no hit decals), and the ragdolls aren't as visceral as they could be (Rainbow Six has some interesting bone-breaking positions, although it was a bug).

2)Reinforce the ramifications, as was mentioned earlier.
1) and 2) sound contradicting to me...:confused:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
19th Sep 2003, 07:42
this new nano-ammo is jsut fabulous, you just shoot, and it gets straight to the head, but doesn't blow it up. it just fries the brain

(ah, technology...)

Merces Letifer
19th Sep 2003, 22:09
I think what he means is that there will be gore to reinforce the finality of murder, but it won't be so over the top tht it gets rediculous. Less than realistic.

Montial
21st Sep 2003, 23:24
I think I remember reading a Spector interview where he said the game wouldn't have a gore toggle, since he wanted to reinforce the ramifications of killing, and you can't do that with the blood turned off.

(Possibly-off topic) Thats what I find quite strange about games today, they have a 'low gore' option, there to prontect vulnerable young eyes from the horrors of death, but what is it really teaching them? One could argue that it is saying 'shoot someone! Don't worry, they wont really die!'.

I think this game is not intended for little children...
DeusEx 1 was for people over 16 (in France)

Same in NZ, though my 11 year old brother coulda wandered in and bought it, they didn't care.

Picasso
21st Sep 2003, 23:54
Thats what I find quite strange about games today, they have a 'low gore' option, there to prontect vulnerable young eyes from the horrors of death, but what is it really teaching them? One could argue that it is saying 'shoot someone! Don't worry, they wont really die!'.

Our country is full of screwed-up values like this, in the name of protecting the children. It's fine for them to see the Terminator killing a few dozen people, but god forbid your child should see a nipple.

Montial
21st Sep 2003, 23:58
My eyes! My eyes! You mentioned.....god forbid....nipples! My eyes! They're burning!!!!1111oneonetwo