PDA

View Full Version : Vid card question

link84
14th Sep 2003, 21:51
Where can i find a Nvidia 5900 Ultra for cheap?

Lawnboy360
14th Sep 2003, 23:06
Look on www.pricewatch.com for the lowest price and than go on www.resellerratings.com to know if it's a good seller. Often the lowest price seller is not a very good one.

I'd also suggest you buy a Radeon 9800 Pro instead. The performance in average is about the same, and you can get it for around $40 less than the 5900. (128mb versions)

NamelessOne
15th Sep 2003, 08:13
I'd also recommend the 9800 Pro, especially seeing how poor the 5900 Ultra's performance is in DX9 apps.

The Corinthian
16th Sep 2003, 04:32
FIEND! How dare you search for the demon card of Nvidia!

Really man, get the 9800. The ATI card is much better that the 5900.

Trevion
16th Sep 2003, 04:34
I dunno if this really matters, but Ion Storms is part of NVIDIA's The Way It's Meant To Be Played program - so DX2 is at least likely to be optimized for the NVIDIA cards.

crimson_stallion
16th Sep 2003, 07:13
Originally posted by Trevion
I dunno if this really matters, but Ion Storms is part of NVIDIA's The Way It's Meant To Be Played program - so DX2 is at least likely to be optimized for the NVIDIA cards.

Thats quite possible, especially since the x-box has nvidia based graphics. If they optimised ti more for nvidia cards, it would possibly make an easier port for them.

Bio Denton
16th Sep 2003, 09:13
Originally posted by The Corinthian
FIEND! How dare you search for the demon card of Nvidia!

Really man, get the 9800. The ATI card is much better that the 5900.

I've always been an NVidia man, but my bloody FX virtually melted on me after the fan broke. I might go over to the darkside of ATI, if someone can give me a reason :)

NamelessOne
16th Sep 2003, 10:37
I've always been an NVidia man, but my bloody FX virtually melted on me after the fan broke. I might go over to the darkside of ATI, if someone can give me a reason

Cheaper, Faster, Cooler (As in not as hot)

I switched to ATI a few months ago, and I'm pretty happy with my decision.

I dunno if this really matters, but Ion Storms is part of NVIDIA's The Way It's Meant To Be Played program - so DX2 is at least likely to be optimized for the NVIDIA cards

TWIMTBP program doesn't actually mean anything... nVidia give a certain amount of money to the developers to display their logo. Theres just as much optimisation for nVidia in TWIMTBP games as non-TWIMTBP games.

The entire FX series was/is a HUGE disapointment...

:mad:

Random
16th Sep 2003, 11:19
I don't think DX2 is using any DX9 features anyway. I could be wrong, but if they're only using DX8 the poor performance of the FX in the HL2 benchmarks won't matter all that much. But you're into HL2, though, the 9800 definately looks like the one to get.

If anyone knows how I could have fit more acronyms into that post, let me know. ;)

AlteredGlyph
16th Sep 2003, 14:59
Actually, in an interview with one of the DX2 gouys I read somewheres, they said that they are NOt optimizing it for the NVIDIA cards, but are woking on optimizing performance for both sets of cards.

MR X
19th Sep 2003, 16:28
Random, I remember reading that it IS based on DX9 technology. Thats why if you have say, a Geforce 3-like me grrrrrr- (which is based on DX8 technology), your going to miss out on some features. I think dx9 is required for the real time lighting effects.

Lawnboy360
19th Sep 2003, 21:24
Random, I remember reading that it IS based on DX9 technology. Thats why if you have say, a Geforce 3-like me grrrrrr- (which is based on DX8 technology), your going to miss out on some features. I think dx9 is required for the real time lighting effects.

http://messenger.msn.ca/Resource/emoticons/angry_smile.gif
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

(must...resist... temptation...to reply...with...caps-lock....)
DX IW is based on DX8 technology!!!!! DX9 is not required for the real-time lighting!!!!

You'll need a GeForce 3 or better just to run the game. That's because it makes extensive (and I do mean extensive) use of pixel shaders and pixel lighting, two rendering techniques that were only introduced with the GeForce 3. (Xbox's GPU is based on GeForce 3 era technology, which is one reason Invisible War is currently only slated for Microsoft's console.)
http://gamespy.com/previews/february03/dxinvisiblewarmulti/index2.shtml

I could give you 15 more quotes but you probably get the idea. It CANNOT require DX9, the XBox is DX8 anyway. Oh, and I can give you a quote straight from an IS programmer on the IS board if you want.

----

Sorry, but this is annoying.

Picasso
19th Sep 2003, 21:37
Lawnboy is right. DX8 is required for the pixel and vertex shaders, which are required for the dynamic lighting, which is required to play the game (at all). Hence, hardware DX8 support is required.

This means that you need a GF3 or higher (but NOT a GF4 MX).
For ATI, you need an 8500 or higher.

I have no idea what DX9 effects (if any) will be supported.

Edit: BTW, at one point Ion Storm was testing the game on GF4 Ti4200's, if anyone cares.

W.C. Duck
20th Sep 2003, 22:13
originally posted by Bio Denton:
I've always been an NVidia man, but my bloody FX virtually melted on me after the fan broke. I might go over to the darkside of ATI, if someone can give me a reason

That's exactly what you did yourself just now, isn't it?

Godwin
21st Sep 2003, 05:00
it's strange that my geforce DDR can still support many of today's most graphically intensive games, including UT2K3, splinter cell, and raven shield(on high to max quality). dont worry though, im not intending on staying on this card

Lawnboy360
21st Sep 2003, 13:00
it's strange that my geforce DDR can still support many of today's most graphically intensive games, including UT2K3, splinter cell, and raven shield(on high to max quality). dont worry though, im not intending on staying on this card

The most demanding feature in Splinter Cell is the DX8 real-time lighting, which your video card can't display, so that would explain why you can run it while a 3ghz system with the lastest video card gets something like 35fps.

whitskin
22nd Sep 2003, 17:12
Originally posted by crimson_stallion
Thats quite possible, especially since the x-box has nvidia based graphics. If they optimised ti more for nvidia cards, it would possibly make an easier port for them.

Ahh but the newest xboxes are goning to have ati's in them.

James Warren
24th Sep 2003, 12:21
Does anyone know how predictive the Chrome demo is for game performance in DX2 and HL2?

My Geforce 4 4400 TI overclocked to the 4600 default speeds seems to run it well at 1024x768 with everything
turned up high.

Do you think I can relax and stop shopping for that ATI 9800 pro with the HL2 bundle?

dirigimaster
24th Sep 2003, 16:15
Originally posted by crimson_stallion

Fact remains, that a DX9 game Halflife 2 had to be optomized to get decent performance, the 9800 performs better there, if that is any reflection of DX9 performance.

Quillan
24th Sep 2003, 17:50
I bet you see a bunch of games that make use of DX 9 features in the near future, but can run on a system with DX 8 hardware. It simply doesn't use the DX 9 features on those systems. The most recent Tomb Raider is an example of this. It will look better if you have a DX 9 card. I just replaced my ti4200 with a 9800 Pro, and I don't regret it at all.

James Warren
24th Sep 2003, 19:14
I just got my copy of Tom's Hardware guide. Check out the latest direct x 9 benchmark:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030918/aquamark-02.html

[