PDA

View Full Version : defiance COMIC!!!!!!!!

fneh
13th Sep 2003, 09:56
I read this on nosgoth.net

go look here (http://pub6.ezboard.com/fnosgothfrm13.showMessage?topicID=357.topic)

:D

LoK#1
13th Sep 2003, 11:51
Brilliant m8 hope its better than the other 1 with more story to it
cheers for the link

Embla
13th Sep 2003, 23:44
Thanks fneh, very interesting.
When time comes, wonders if it`s possible to buy it here, in my country aswell, without having to purchase it through some webshop.

Matt from Spam Buddies
14th Sep 2003, 08:18
Thanks for sharing, mate. :)

This is good news!

- Matthew

Omega
14th Sep 2003, 11:51
Nice.

I just hope other parts of the world get it too, like the UK, Estonia (;)) and other places too.

It would be a shame if only the major countries get it (i.e. just US).

Matt from Spam Buddies
14th Sep 2003, 14:28
Originally posted by Omega
Nice.I just hope other parts of the world get it too, like the UK, Estonia (;)) and other places too.

-blush-

:D

- Matthew

Almiras_silverwolf
15th Sep 2003, 12:52
Heck, I just HAVE to buy it upon its release ^_^ but the main worry is that it might not come to the UK! Im hoping it does.

Stephenls
15th Sep 2003, 15:27
Am I the only one unimpressed with the cover (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0309/11/legofkain.jpg)?

Probably it's just the way Raziel seems to be holding the wraithblade. It looks odd to me, since it's usually pictured as sprouting out of his palm along the bones of his forearm, rather than at right angles to them.

Nice shading, though. And I'm probably being unreasonably picky, as is my way. I can't honestly say I'm not looking forward to it.

blincoln
15th Sep 2003, 19:53
I'm surprised you haven't seen anything about that yet. That is how he holds the Reaver in Defiance. It's been visible in all the screenshots released since June.

LoK#1
15th Sep 2003, 20:04
and if i was home earlier i would have told you that aswell Stephenls, the attitude of the reaver is different this time round(again!!!)and the wraith blade is held like a physical blade now ,i dont know why its changed ,but it will make more combos available to Raz (and i didnt care much for the look of sr2 w/b compared to sr1) but i adapted to it.:D

Hope this settles your worries a little

Stephenls
16th Sep 2003, 05:53
Originally posted by LoK#1
and if i was home earlier i would have told you that aswell Stephenls, the attitude of the reaver is different this time round(again!!!)and the wraith blade is held like a physical blade now ,i dont know why its changed ,but it will make more combos available to Raz (and i didnt care much for the look of sr2 w/b compared to sr1) but i adapted to it.:D

Hope this settles your worries a little

Huh. That's...

Rather the opposite. I always really enjoyed that Raziel's glowing magic sword didn't really look like any other glowing magic sword ever, due to the way he used it. It's hard to come up with original designs for what amounts to lightsabers with more glowing particle effects, but CD managed to do it with the outright bizarre and somehow organic way Raziel used his sword. It was more like a sort of ghostly spur that grew out of his arm and stuck through his palm.

And, looking at the new screenshots, yeah, it... looks like... a transparent Soul Reaver with more glowing particle effects. And streamy line thingies running from the tip to the base. Woo.

Damn.

Oh, well. It's not like I'll notice once I'm actually playing.

blincoln
16th Sep 2003, 18:43
The reason they changed it is obvious. Pick up a cardboard mailing tube, or a broomstick or something. See how many ways you can twirl it around as if it were a sword? Now, attach it to your forearm. Suddenly there are a lot less things you can do with it. Your wrist makes a weapon like that much more versatile. Defiance has more of a focus on action, and having Raziel hold the Reaver like a sword gives them the opportunity to have him use more cool attack styles.

Stephenls
16th Sep 2003, 19:22
Originally posted by blincoln
The reason they changed it is obvious. Pick up a cardboard mailing tube, or a broomstick or something. See how many ways you can twirl it around as if it were a sword? Now, attach it to your forearm. Suddenly there are a lot less things you can do with it. Your wrist makes a weapon like that much more versatile. Defiance has more of a focus on action, and having Raziel hold the Reaver like a sword gives them the opportunity to have him use more cool attack styles.

Oh, I understand the reason. It was a decision made for aesthetic purposes, and one I find aesthetically unappealing.

Combo animations are largely special effects. LoK games aren't working with hypersensitive impact areas -- the way an attack looks doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how much damage it does. As such, it's not necessary to have Raziel holding a literal sword in order to give him a bunch of cool combat moves -- you could keep the mathematical bits that determine things like attack speed, damage done, amount of knockback for enemies, Raziel's recovery time after every stroke, and whether the attacks could be comboed together, and re-do the graphics to look like anything. He could be summoning ghostly bananas and rubber duckies and the combats would run the same in terms of which buttons, pressed when, do how much damage.

If the decision was made because someone thought it was going to be too difficult to come up with X amount of cool looking animations (where X is the number of different attacks and combos Raziel has) featuring Raziel flailing his arm around with a giant energy spike sticking out of his palm, then okay, although I suspect that given enough time and effort, someone could come up with X cool looking animations featuring exactly that, and it'd be cooler for not just being Raziel-with-a-lightsaber. It could be an issue of time -- coming up with that many totally original cool looking animations (and they'd have to be totally original, because there aren't any real-world fighting styles to draw ideas from that feature a weapon being held in that style) is, I'm sure, strictly possible, but migh take more time than the developers had.

Now, on the other hand, if the game has a major plot point that involves Raziel's formerly-imprisoned soul shifting away from its rather primitive appearance and towards a more conventional sword, then that'd be cool, and my complaints will be withdrawn. Even now, though, I don't mean them seriously. It's a graphics choice I don't completely agree with, much like the speed at which the "dizzy" animation runs. I'm just being a nitpicker.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm going to leave that first paragraph unchanged for archival purposes, but here's what I should have typed instead:

"Oh, I understand several possible reasons. I just dislike the outcome. And if it was purely an aesthetic choice, then I'm unhappy with it."

eclipse_reaver
20th Sep 2003, 05:45
So does the comic come with the game, or is it sold separately?
Is it already out yet?
Any online store that has it? I'm not sure I can find it in a regular store.

Stephenls
20th Sep 2003, 07:09
Originally posted by eclipse_reaver
So does the comic come with the game, or is it sold separately?
Is it already out yet?
Any online store that has it? I'm not sure I can find it in a regular store.

It's out early next year, so after the game is released.

Apocrypha Roxy
20th Sep 2003, 18:29
Stephenls - rumor is that due to the paradox at the end of SR2, the WB's nature has changed. Make sense, since the WB was literally going to become a blade. Remember when Kain broke it over Raziel's head? The sentient being was an actual blade.

Makes sense.

:)