PDA

View Full Version : Possible game box cover

Machinax
12th Sep 2003, 05:04
Haven't seen this picture anywhere else, but it looks cool (if not faulty for assuming a male for Alex D.).

Anybody else know if this is the official/final cover image?

http://www.gamespy.com/games/875.shtml

P.S. Release date of Dec. 2 seems to be final. That is the most detailed Gamespy has gotten (in the past they usually just put month/year, this is the first time we have date/month/year). Also, the date of Dec. 2 coincides with the release date given by Gamespot (which quoted the Dec. 2 date first).

Picasso
12th Sep 2003, 05:45
You can find a much bigger version of that boxshot here (http://tothegame.com/game.asp?ID=139) (off to the right). You can clearly see that it says "for illustration purposes only". I'm betting Eidos put it out there so that online stores would have something to put on their product pages.

Also, Gamespot and Gamespy probably don't know any more about the release date than we do. Hell, Ion Storm themselves probably couldn't get that specific on a release date.

Edit: BTW, according to that recent Gamespy preview, they should be in content-lock by now. Which means that they've finished adding stuff to the game, and are now focused entirely on fixing bugs and optimizing code.

Godwin
12th Sep 2003, 08:41
yes, they say the game will be heading for a late november/early december release... makes for a good christmas present

and i doubt that will be the final box art, the background is in bad quality, and ripped straight from the intro movie, i hope they'll make the whole thing darker and more dramatic like the original's

btw ive noticed those glowing patches on the arms for some time now, what are they? biomods?

Centauro
12th Sep 2003, 11:46
Heh heh... Glowing clothes. I think maybe that's for matching the glowing gun...

Seriously, I think it's a silly way to make explicit the fact that the character is augmented, which I think is nonsense, since nanoaugs or biomods as they call them now were developed in order to make agents indistiguisable from ordinary people.:rolleyes:

Machinax
12th Sep 2003, 19:23
Originally posted by Picasso
You can find a much bigger version of that boxshot here (http://tothegame.com/game.asp?ID=139) (off to the right).

Damnit, I just noticed that the release date on that site is 28th January 2004. The plot thickens :rolleyes:

Dragosani
14th Sep 2003, 01:03
Until they burn the hard copy of DX:IW, any release date is mere speculation.

The release date could be next week or in the next century. No one knows for certain, not even Ion Storm

Sadokitty
14th Sep 2003, 14:36
You should be able to choose a male or female character to play... It so pisses me off that in a hell of a lot of games the only option is male.. no wonder there arent that many girl gamers, you people rarely even try :p

Machinax
14th Sep 2003, 17:32
Originally posted by Dragosani
Until they burn the hard copy of DX:IW, any release date is mere speculation.

The release date could be next week or in the next century. No one knows for certain, not even Ion Storm

Hehehe, you make it sound almost like a conspiracy :p

Lawnboy360
14th Sep 2003, 19:27
You should be able to choose a male or female character to play...

1- That doesn't have much to do with the box.

2- You can choose between male and female in DX:IW.

Ductonius
14th Sep 2003, 22:43
Originally posted by Sadokitty
You should be able to choose a male or female character to play... It so pisses me off that in a hell of a lot of games the only option is male.. no wonder there arent that many girl gamers, you people rarely even try :p

The sex of the main character has nothing to do with it.

When you make games that are competitive, guys will go for it. Every FPS out there proves that.

The Sims showed quite conclusivly that when you make palying computer games like playing with dolls, girls will go for it.

Lawnboy360
14th Sep 2003, 23:00
When you make games that are competitive, guys will go for it. Every FPS out there proves that.
The Sims showed quite conclusivly that when you make palying computer games like playing with dolls, girls will go for it.

I'd say it's not :

competitive vs dolls

but :

quick reflexes / violence vs thinking / non-violent

or something like that ;)

schrambal
15th Sep 2003, 10:30
Defenitly a fake.

The background is the beginning from the trailer and the game character is the male Alex D. cut out of one of the screenshots that has been released. The invisible war logo could also be taken from the site.

I know with 99% certainty this is fake. And I hope it is. It's ugly.

Picasso
15th Sep 2003, 19:31
You can clearly see that it says "for illustration purposes only". I'm betting Eidos put it out there so that online stores would have something to put on their product pages.

dave9191
16th Sep 2003, 13:03
Hey, that game box cover is stright from the edios FTP. Its what they intend to put on the box ... unless of course they change it before release, which could always happen. Its not a fake.... If you want a bigger look at it click here (http://www.de2files.com/file.news?ID=6428) and then on the picture to enlarge :)

The game does let you choose if you want to be male or female, but its only a cosmetic thing. The box cover doesnt reflect that at all... :(

As for the release date, its all speculation. It wont be too much longer from now, but its going to be dec/jan. Hopefully in time to be under the xmas tree :)

BMKane
16th Sep 2003, 20:22
Hey, I'm a guy and I lost months of my life to The Sims. I also lost months of my life to Half-Life and Deus Ex, and I thoroughly enjoyed Serious Sam. Only problem with putting female protagonists in games is that Publishers (*Imperial march plays*) don't know much about anything and assume that there's only 4 female gamers in the world, and some of them are lying about their gender. They can't justify giving developers the time and money to let them choose their character, especially in FPS games.

RPGs are different, however, and games like Deus Ex where you actually see your character.