PDA

View Full Version : PC-CD in U.K. Only? Hmm...

Lucid-Dreams
12th Sep 2003, 03:59
Hello. This is my first Eidos post! :p

I am a big fan of the LOK series, and have completed the entire series in the order of their release on my computer (even the hard to find BO1 CD). I am very surprised they are not yet officially planning to release LOK: Defiance for the PC. True, console games are usually ported to the PC a few months after the release; nevertheless, I am a little nervous …

Interestingly (U.K. inertest sparked from reading other posters posts), while the U.S. Eidos sites http://www.eidosinteractive.com/games/info.html?gmid=142 and http://www.legacyofkain.com/main.html both offer PS2 and XBOX as the only future platforms for Defiance, the U.K. Eidos sites http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/games/info.html?gmid=150 and http://www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/gss/lokdefiance/ both offer Defiance not on only PS2 and XBOX as future platforms but also PC-CD! I wonder why… do they think the PC-CD version will sell well in the U.K. but might not in the U.S.? Come the end of the Fall semester (mid Dec to mid Jan) I’ll have about 4 weeks of idle time and a strong craving to play LOK: Defiance on my PC… if the PC-CD is available in the U.K. but not in the U.S., I will very likely order it online. So will many other fans who prefer a PC version, I assume. If the U.S. P.C. version was released after the U.K. and many in the U.S. who wanted to play the game on their PC bought the PC-CD from the U.K. online, then (1) sales numbers will be inflated in the U.K. (many sales in the U.K. really from the U.S., (2) sales numbers would be deflated in the U.S. (people who really wanted the game in the U.S. would have already bought the game)—all this would, in turn, help confirm a prediction that sales would be higher in the U.K. than in the U.S., which may result in future games of the series being less likely to be ported to the PC. :( What do you guys think?

Note: The French Eidos and German Eidos sites mention PS2 and XBOX yet not PC-CD; I am unable to tell if there will be any Japanese versions at all (if someone knows, please let me know!). Also, I did not take into consideration in the above that PC users from around the world might be tempted to purchase the U.K. version, which would also inflate U.K. sales. Also, I did not take into consideration that since the PC version is mentioned on the British sites yet not any other national version of the Eidos website, that is might be an error :-o (I hope it is not!).

I welcome your thoughts on this! :)

blincoln
12th Sep 2003, 07:49
It was the same way for SR2 and BO2, don't worry about it. Eidos probably won't announce the PC version officially until a month before the console release or less. Since the console release date hasn't been officially announced, no one is going to have anything reliable about a PC version.

Sekhmet
12th Sep 2003, 08:10
Originally posted by Lucid-Dreams
Note: The French Eidos and German Eidos sites mention PS2 and XBOX yet not PC-CD;

The german PC-version can be pre-ordered at Amazon.de.
But i think (hope) the price is incorrect. :rolleyes:
There is also planned a Limited Edition (for PC) for Germany. It´s not fix, but can also pre-ordered here: http://www.4u2play.de/store/detail/?p=11396 :D

blincoln
12th Sep 2003, 08:35
Why does Germany always get all the cool stuff? I guess I'll have to wait for it to show up on eBay like I did with the SR2 special edition.

fneh
12th Sep 2003, 10:15
I think I remember SR2 being exclusive to the Uk for the PC version. I think it says that on the official website....

yet I know you americans have it....

xarax
12th Sep 2003, 16:17
Be warned that European versions of PC video games probably will not work on North American PC. Something to do with PAL (European) versus NTSC (North American) video standards.

Umah Bloodomen
12th Sep 2003, 16:29
Originally posted by blincoln
Why does Germany always get all the cool stuff? I guess I'll have to wait for it to show up on eBay like I did with the SR2 special edition.

Or get Catsuit and Goran to hook you up. ;)

blincoln
12th Sep 2003, 16:54
European PC games work fine on North American PCs. You only have to worry if you're importing console games.

Umah: Hey, that's an excellent plan! Thanks =).

N0V4
13th Sep 2003, 18:54
LMAO... PC is PC.
Consoles have different systems....lmao.
This is funny

fneh
13th Sep 2003, 21:25
yeah. importing PC games is fine. PAL on TVs not computer monitors....

what I never understood is why americans can't play jpn games. afterall it's still ntsc......

blincoln
13th Sep 2003, 22:56
Game companies lock out Japanese games from US consoles because they want control over all markets. If people in the US could import the Japanese version, companies like Capcom couldn't make us wait six months for "localized" versions of their games with incredibly poor English dubbing.

Dark_Child
13th Sep 2003, 23:31
Originally posted by blincoln

Why not? You get it earlier and we get a special edition. I think it's fair:D

Stephenls
13th Sep 2003, 23:53
Originally posted by Dark_Child

No, "fair" would be "everyone gets it at the same time and everyone gets the special edition."

What we have now is... arbitrary.

Chaotix
14th Sep 2003, 02:36
I remember searching high and low for word of a PC SR2 until I found out that it was only sold at EB and Babbages. Not knowing of any of the two in my city, I was ready to buy it off the EB site. But then during a trip to a mall I found a newly opened EB! Of course I immedeatly bought SR2. Anywas my point is, is that I hardly knew about a PC SR2 until I bought it.

Azazel
14th Sep 2003, 10:14
Originally posted by Dark_Child
We get it later and don't get a special edition.:(