PDA

View Full Version : Warren speaks!

Grey Mouser
10th Sep 2003, 16:15
Interview at Gamespy (http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/september03/spector/) in which Mr. Spector talks about DX:IW, innovation (or lack thereof) in the games industry and the fact that consoles may not be the tool of the Devil (remains to be seen in this Mouser's eyes, with exception given to sports or fighting games, which absolutely belong on consoles).

Enjoy!

Frost Giant
10th Sep 2003, 16:25
Thank you Gray Mouser:D

Trollslayer
10th Sep 2003, 16:31
:D :D :D

Let me explain the smilies:

Originally posted by Warren Spector
Well, there are a couple reasons for doing an Xbox version. What most people don't understand, probably because we never actually talked about it, is all of us here have been making PC games for many years, but we're actually console gamers as much as we are PC gamers. I've always had every console available from day one. And to be honest, most of my gaming is done on the console, especially since that seems where most of the innovation seems to be.

'Tis funny. I wonder if certain people on these boards will flame Warren, or will agree with him, even if i said the same on an older post?

Nevermind, i don't need to know that. At least one person (Spector) knows what i'm talking about.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Grey Mouser
10th Sep 2003, 16:58
Don't get me wrong Trollslayer...between myself and my room-mate, we have almost every console made in the past 10 years (check, make that 15 years!), along with the accompanying dozens of games for them...(I even started a new Tecmo Super Bowl season this past weekend...go 'Niners!).

But there is just something comforting (and more precise) about mouse-and-keyboard for any type of FPS game. Definately consoles are at the level of mid-range PC's hardware-wise, and I do love some console titles. It's just that I can't imagine playing Thief or System Shock 2 with a controller. I suppose I need to broaden my imagination as consoles continue to improve :).

Trollslayer
10th Sep 2003, 18:03
Oh Grey Mouser you're absolutely right. I personally prefer keyboard and mouse play for games. That wasn't the point, though. I was refering to an old thread regarding actual game inovation, and where it came from in recent years.

But yes i agree with you there :)

crimson_stallion
11th Sep 2003, 08:24
Originally posted by Grey Mouser
Don't get me wrong Trollslayer...between myself and my room-mate, we have almost every console made in the past 10 years (check, make that 15 years!), along with the accompanying dozens of games for them...(I even started a new Tecmo Super Bowl season this past weekend...go 'Niners!).

But there is just something comforting (and more precise) about mouse-and-keyboard for any type of FPS game. Definately consoles are at the level of mid-range PC's hardware-wise, and I do love some console titles. It's just that I can't imagine playing Thief or System Shock 2 with a controller. I suppose I need to broaden my imagination as consoles continue to improve :).

I agree in part. I think Halo was done well, but it took me a LONG time to adjust to those controls. Then again, so did keyboard and mouse when i first used it. I was still used to the page up and down to look up and down on duke3d :) But I do believe that kb/mouse works best for FPS games. At the same time however, some people can't afford to spend a thousand dollars every 1 or 2 years to keep their computer upgraded (and capable of decently running latest games). Others can afford it, but just find it economically unviable. I think for the sake of these people, they should still have the choice of playing these games.

To be honest, I don't mind if deus ex is made on consoles as well, as long as the PC doesnt suffer from it. I will be quite dissapointed if deus takes on the appearance of a console port (e.g. splinter cell still felt consoley on PC). Hopefully they will differ the two games enough in terms of interfaces (main menus, etc).

What I don't understand, is why don't microsoft release a mouse and keyboard for X-box? They are one of (if not THE) largest manufacturers of computer periferals, the Xbox has a windows based operating system which is very compatible with pc, wouldnt be THAT hard for them would it? All you would need is some type of driver update CD possibly (if thats even neccessary) and a different cable. Its possible that they dont see the items selling well, which i guess they probably wouldnt. Could you imagine how much easier again that would make xbox-pc /pc-xbox ports? You wouldnt even really have to change menus. Ahh well.

Prohass
11th Sep 2003, 08:44
Im not sure if its the primary reason, but one of the reasons xbox doesn't have a keyboard/mouse setup is because of the unfair advantage it offers on Live.

Godwin
11th Sep 2003, 09:22
i doubt the PC version will suffer, it may actually do better coping with the intense dynamic lightings and stuff, but like warren said, there wont be content loss between platforms

DarkForge
11th Sep 2003, 10:27
What's this cheat code it mentions to make Deus Ex "Matrix-like"?

AlteredGlyph
11th Sep 2003, 15:04
Type "thereisnospoon" in the credits screen.