PDA

View Full Version : Soundtrack?

The Corinthian
9th Sep 2003, 18:54
One of my favorite things about the GotY edition of DX1 was the soundtrack cd. What I'm wondering is if there will perhaps be one for DXIW, or possibly using a "standard" audio format, like mp3 or ogg. Ogg would be nice, sounds like aug... So, would anyone else buy a soundtrack to DXIW if the music is as good as the first's?

AlteredGlyph
9th Sep 2003, 19:04
I wouldnt buy it, although I'd get it in a GOTY edition, I wouldnt buy it seperate.

schrambal
10th Sep 2003, 08:08
The soundtrack for DX1 was really superb. I always wondered what it would sound like if it would have been conducted by a real orchestra instead of a keyboard. It has an almost 'movie-like' feel and if the soundtrack or DX2 features full orchestrall sound I'll buy it!

hakselsen
10th Sep 2003, 08:45
Yeah, I liked the soundtrack, but I found the main theme to be cheesy orchestrated. Great theme though, just poorly produced. The ingame music rocked most of the time. My favourite is Vandenberg, although that's mostly sound fx. I bet you all felt the chill when you sneaked past the first guards and onto the elevator in the beginning of the level. Great stuff.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
10th Sep 2003, 11:15
Originally posted by schrambal
The soundtrack for DX1 was really superb. I always wondered what it would sound like if it would have been conducted by a real orchestra instead of a keyboard.

let's hope it will be done for the movie...

Rain5467
15th Sep 2003, 04:27
Techno is king, why would you want to ruin the moment with an orchestra? Cmon now, think how stupid deus ex would sound with like a star wars soundtrack. Thats basically what made the game so fricken sweet, the awesome techno.

Sylvester Ink
15th Sep 2003, 07:12
It seemed to me that the music was a combination of techno and symphonic. Of course, the developers were limited in what they could do since they were using mods, but it sounded great anyway.

I liked all of the music, but my two favorites were the Paris Cathedral ambience (which was sad and haunting) and the Ocean Lab ambience (which was very eerie, going well with the creepy environment.)

Sadly, it has been mentioned by the developers (and Warren?) in many articles that the background music for DXIW will be pure ambience, changing only slightly for combat and conversations. (In order to preserve realism.) Which is sad, cause that's what sets the tone of the game. (Who could forget the soundtracks of games such as Alice and Total Annihilation?) From what I have seen of this in other games, it doesn't look like the music will be anything spectacular.

Although, no one would be happier than me if I'm proven wrong . . .

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Sep 2003, 10:30
Techno is king, why would you want to ruin the moment with an orchestra? Cmon now, think how *** deus ex would sound with like a star wars soundtrack. Thats basically what made the game so fricken sweet, the awesome techno.

I tend to prefer my movies musics with more instruments than just one beeper.

and I was just talking about the intro theme, since I absolutly can't remember any of the others.

and I still think an orchestral version of the intro theme would be awesome

Rain5467
16th Sep 2003, 04:15
Alex Brandon is doing the music. This guy knows what he is doing. Although I hope they hire Reeves Gabrels for the clubs again, that was absoutely incredible. Hey ambient music is traditionally pretty boring, but if you listen to truly good ambient music, it is amazing. Think thief 2, homeworld. They used ambient to great effect.

I played the homeworld 2 demo, and the ships looks great and stuff, but the music blew! The music adds the whole "Feeling in space" effect. Plus the backgrounds look worse than in Homeworld 1. It looks really... not smooth, like 16 bit color. I hope it's just my computer or something, or that they change it in the real game, because the gameplay is awesome.

The Corinthian
16th Sep 2003, 04:30
Originally posted by Rain5467
Techno is king, why would you want to ruin the moment with an orchestra? Cmon now, think how gay deus ex would sound with like a star wars soundtrack. Thats basically what made the game so fricken sweet, the awesome techno.

Oh please. Can we please stop using the word "gay" to mean bad or stupid. I mean sheesh, no wonder most of the world hates America. We can't even tolerate the different people that live here, much less everyone else.

Now, I'll admit that was a bit off topic, but I think techno with real instruments is actually better than purely synthed. After all, just look at The Matrix's soundtrack.

I left the quote intact so the comments make sense -- I did edit the original. Catman

Sylvester Ink
16th Sep 2003, 06:59
Originally posted by The Corinthian
Now, I'll admit that was a bit off topic, but I think techno with real instruments is actually better than purely synthed. After all, just look at The Matrix's soundtrack.

I agree. That was an excellent example of blending techno and orchestral. (Especially the Matrix: Reloaded. People may have differing opinions of the movie itself, but the soundtrack was great.)

And you do make a good point Rain. Thief 2 and Homeworld had great ambient soundtracks. If the soundtrack for DXIW turns out to be like that, then I won't mind too much. And if you listen to any of Alexander Brandon's music, from Unreal to Deus Ex (even Jazz Jackrabbit 2!), his music is quite good. And now that he is free to use digitized music (most likely mp3's) for DXIW, we can probably expect to end up with something really great.