PDA

View Full Version : augs

sackme
9th Sep 2003, 12:16
I'd like augs to have a continuos effect because it dosent make sense other wise.

Take the "microfible muscle" aug, your instantly creating muscle fibre but as soon as you deactivate it you losse the gained strength, how does that work:D

Corporal Hicks
9th Sep 2003, 12:32
Gameplay vs Realisme.... Balance!

In the end af all the upgrades you would be a nanotech Hulk or Terminator... :)

The hole aspect of augs/nanoimplants are just a little tiny bit of the road of evolution... Will appear in some form in the future but as a lung/muscle implant I think not...

Rather have a cool divingdevice/gear than be a fish installed with all sorts of different augs....

The augs balance in DX1 was OK... But I will take equipment over implants anyday and don't need the power of Hulk to **** up some low life MIBs either:)

---
"I say we take of and nuke the entire site from orbit!"
"Its the only way to be sure!"

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
9th Sep 2003, 13:08
Originally posted by sackme
I'd like augs to have a continuos effect because it dosent make sense other wise.

Take the "microfible muscle" aug, your instantly creating muscle fibre but as soon as you deactivate it you losse the gained strength, how does that work:D

it does make sense :

the nanites are not active all the time, because they need bioenergy. so when you need it, you activate them, they help your muscles lift the crate, then you deactivate them, to spare bioenergy, and you are back to your old strength.

have them activated all the time would be too energy consuming, I think

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 14:05
Given than nanomanchines are still machines, only at a nanoscopic level, it makes sense ;)

Random
9th Sep 2003, 14:21
Gamespy (http://www.gamespy.com/previews/september03/dxinvisiblewarmulti/):

The coolest change, I think, is that some biomods are now "passive" and work all the time with no energy drain. Run silent, for example, is in effect from the moment you install it. Same with the super strength. This is much preferable to the constant mod toggling required in the original game.

Corporal Hicks
9th Sep 2003, 14:22
Originally posted by Trollslayer
Given than nanomanchines are still machines, only at a nanoscopic level, it makes sense ;)
And to the one million dollar question!... ;)

How much energy would machines that size use! ... (Not to come out as a smarta$$ in any way!!!! :))

Im a little bit against the hole cyborg/aug thing in the first place... But, hey... its works with the gameplay and its works very well within the games universe...

----
"I like to keep this handy for close incounters!"

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 14:43
Originally posted by Corporal Hicks
And to the one million dollar question!... ;)

How much energy would machines that size use! ... (Not to come out as a smarta$$ in any way!!!! :))

Im a little bit against the hole cyborg/aug thing in the first place... But, hey... its works with the gameplay and its works very well within the games universe...

Sci-fi, much like medieval fantasy, is a theme where we must have a suspension of disbelief. I would believe in dragons no more than i'd believe in AI's, elves, ROM Constructs, necromancers and deckers using neural-plugged cyberdecks.

To keep to the million dollar question, i believe nanotechnology reduces machinery size, therefore, its power consumption. If an engine needs X amount of power to work, then a nano-scaled version of it would need an amount of power in relation to how many times the engine itself had been nano-reduced. Meaning, if a type of futuristic machine/engine was nano-scaled to a size 10 times smaller, i believe it'd use 10 times less energy. So i suppose its viewable in the amount of bioenergy we spend when using augs.

sackme
22nd Sep 2003, 12:17
trollslayer is right.

because if you still needed the same amount of energy you would blow a nanite to oblivian with power overload and if you took all the BE energy produced by a human per day you could power a 60W light bulb for half an hour.

LOL at Le Sauver De Ces Dames given that nanites are so small the enrgy drain would be minimal:p

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
22nd Sep 2003, 14:08
sackme, you don't know what energy the biocells provide.
after all, they could be microscopic.

(though I doubt it, but I usually prefer to have the last word, hehe)

Don
22nd Sep 2003, 16:01
Although the development of nanodevices hasn't been going for long, components such as motors have already been produced and use the energy from the breakdown of ATP provided by the Krebs cycle (i.e. the same as normal cell respiration). They use tiny amounts of energy, which can be compensated for by eating more (woohoo! Move aside Atkins diet!). Nanodevices will be capable of practically anything, so you can't rule out any proposed augmentations.
As for Corporal Hicks's opposition to cyborg technology, this revolution IS GOING TO HAPPEN. It's just a matter of time until our species will be divided as Neanderthals and modern humans were, and it will probably be within our lifetime. You have to decide which side you would rather be on.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Sep 2003, 08:43
As for Corporal Hicks's opposition to cyborg technology, this revolution IS GOING TO HAPPEN. It's just a matter of time until our species will be divided as Neanderthals and modern humans were, and it will probably be within our lifetime. You have to decide which side you would rather be on.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. not without enhanced lungs at least

Don
23rd Sep 2003, 15:25
Don't underestimate how quickly these advances could come about. Things which seem impossible aren't always hard to resolve. Anyway, you may find that there may be no point in augmenting what we have, and instead replace whole parts of our bodies with synthetic components.

Corship
23rd Sep 2003, 18:21
funny I read a talk with one of the dev's saying that some of the biomods would be permanently active, he gave a couple of examples: silent running and super strenght
I read it a month or more ago, so I dont think I used the exact terms for the biomods, and sorry I dont have a link. Maybe I found it browsing Ion Storms boards. Either way those boards are good, go have a look :)