PDA

View Full Version : radeon 9000

compufan2000
8th Sep 2003, 21:44
what is the radeon 9000 non pro equivelent to? It can run ut2k3 on my machine maxed out at 1024*780 with no problem(50 fps). does this make it the equivelent of a geforce 4? can somebody tell me

1. exactly what geforce this card is the equivelent of

2. will this card be sufficient to run deus x iw maxed out? what about some of the other newer games(doom 3, hl 2, others) will it be good enough to run those?

please note that i only care about getting around 20 fps. so what are your thoughts.

p4 2.4b (533 fsb)
512 mb pc 2700 ram
msi 648f neo motherboard
radeon 9000 non-pro
sound blaster audigy

p.s. btw does deus x 2 use pixel shaders 2.0? whats with all the talk about u needing a direct x 9 card?

compufan2000
8th Sep 2003, 22:32
come on someone has to know

Lawnboy360
8th Sep 2003, 23:26
1. exactly what geforce this card is the equivelent of

I'm not sure, but I'd say GF4 ti4200.
====================
2. will this card be sufficient to run deus x iw maxed out? what about some of the other newer games(doom 3, hl 2, others) will it be good enough to run those?

It will run all of those, but probably not maxed out. Doom3 ran at 640x480 on a GeForce FX5900 at Quakecon a few weeks ago...
====================
p.s. btw does deus x 2 use pixel shaders 2.0? whats with all the talk about u needing a direct x 9 card?

DXIW requires a DX8 level graphic card. I've never heard about support for DX9 features in DXIW.

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 23:26
The Radeon 9000 is not a very good card. It is a "budget" card that isn't actually as good as the radeon 8500. I dont know what it's equivelent to, but it should be able to run DX2 with that system

crimson_stallion
9th Sep 2003, 10:09
Yeah, the last post is pretty much on the money. The 9000 is basically the radeon equivalent of a Geforce MX. It's not a bad card, but it may have a bit of trouble with the newer, highly taxing games (such as HL2, Doom3, DE2).

I'm not sure if it will run it. I've read elsewhere that the game will require a DX9 compatible card (i.e. card that supports DX9 features). I'm not absolutely sure whether the game will average on these cards (i.e. just reduced grphical effects and speed) or if they will in fact not run it at all. I've heard it's the latter, but i'm hoping its not the case.

Hope that helps !

compufan2000
9th Sep 2003, 16:08
quote- I'm not sure if it will run it. I've read elsewhere that the game will require a DX9 compatible card (i.e. card that supports DX9 features). I'm not absolutely sure whether the game will average on these cards (i.e. just reduced grphical effects and speed) or if they will in fact not run it at all. I've heard it's the latter, but i'm hoping its not the case. -quote

what game are you talking about?

W.C. Duck
9th Sep 2003, 16:13
Originally posted by compufan2000:
what game are you talking about?

:D :D :D :D :D

It's a joke, right? Right?!

W.C. Duck
9th Sep 2003, 16:31
To reply to the thread, I think the Radeon 9000 will run the game.
There's rumours about DX:IW not running on a non-dx9 compatible card, but this doesn't sound very plausible to me.
(what I think that is meant originally is that one'll need dx9 itself to run the game)
here's why:
1st. by limiting the compatibility of DX:IW the developers are prohibiting a major group of gamers to play (and purchase) the game.
2nd. technically, it also doesn't make much sense. every dx9-effect should be able to be turned off.

PS. I hope you're not offended by my last post (if so, I apologize). I just thought it was a funny quote on the Deus Ex: Invisible War forum.

compufan2000
9th Sep 2003, 17:41
lol i wasnt thanx for ur help

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 17:44
Originally posted by W.C. Duck
To reply to the thread, I think the Radeon 9000 will run the game.
There's rumours about DX:IW not running on a non-dx9 compatible card, but this doesn't sound very plausible to me.
(what I think that is meant originally is that one'll need dx9 itself to run the game)
here's why:
1st. by limiting the compatibility of DX:IW the developers are prohibiting a major group of gamers to play (and purchase) the game.
2nd. technically, it also doesn't make much sense. every dx9-effect should be able to be turned off.

PS. I hope you're not offended by my last post (if so, I apologize). I just thought it was a funny quote on the Deus Ex: Invisible War forum.

I don't think just using DX9 would work if you don't have a non-supporting card, because its features cannot be processed because you lack the hardware. Imagine you can toggle anti-aliasing levels in DX:IW's menu - but what if you don't have any anti-aliasing-capable hardware? It won't work, simply put.

One thing is having a newer DX-compatible card running older DX versions, which can happen; but having inadequate hardware trying to run features it cannot process can't happen (unless we're talking about divine intervention ;) )

W.C. Duck
9th Sep 2003, 18:11
originally posted by Trollslayer:
One thing is having a newer DX-compatible card running older DX versions, which can happen; but having inadequate hardware trying to run features it cannot process can't happen

You're absolutely right, but that's not what I meant. Like I said, probably all of the fancy directx9 features should be able to be turned off (which could happen even if one has adequate hardware, due to perfomance-problems).
Also, when I said 'directx9-compatible', I actually meant 'supporting-all-directx9-features' (because even a TNT2 is Directx9-compatible, but simply doesn't support all it's features).

Imagine you can toggle anti-aliasing levels in DX:IW's menu - but what if you don't have any anti-aliasing-capable hardware? It won't work, simply put.

I don't think that that's true. it probably *will* work as long as you keep AA turned off (more likely, it will be impossible to turn on AA, because DX:IW has detected your system's specs).

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 18:22
Originally posted by W.C. Duck
You're absolutely right, but that's not what I meant. Like I said, probably all of the fancy directx9 features should be able to be turned off (which could happen even if one has adequate hardware, due to perfomance-problems).
Also, when I said 'directx9-compatible', I actually meant 'supporting-all-directx9-features' (because even a TNT2 is Directx9-compatible, but simply doesn't support all it's features).

The problem is i don't think DX9 features can be disabled per se.

I don't think that that's true. it probably *will* work as long as you keep AA turned off (more likely, it will be impossible to turn on AA, because DX:IW has detected your system's specs).

It won't have any other option but to be off, or to not work. Like i said, because it doesn't have the hardware, it won't run AA. If it has an auto-detect, the option will more than likely be grayed-out and untouchable. Perhaps you thought i was stating the game wouldn't run? If you were, it wasn't it. I was refering to AA not working.

W.C. Duck
9th Sep 2003, 18:27
Perhaps you thought i was stating the game wouldn't run?

Yes, I did. That's all sorted out then.

Trollslayer
9th Sep 2003, 18:29
Oh, ok then :D