PDA

View Full Version : Errand Boy questions...

arcanerain
5th Sep 2003, 21:09
Is this is the first of the 4 part series???? Or am I out of order???

Also, I see there is a safe in the Taxidermist's house - is there a key or a button?

Can you get into the Mine Manager's house? I tried a rope to the open window, however I could not jump into the window...

A little confused on how to get to the docks... I see the wood gate, but cannot get over it...

Any hints would be great...

Thanks!

dafydd
6th Sep 2003, 05:06
[Folks]

All I have been able to do is get into the Hammerite barracks -- that's the thing right near where you start, right? -- both left and right doors; I picked the "office key," and I went into the office and read a bunch of scrolls (and got a vase).

I found where I could climb up inside the barracks into a tube-like thing, then out onto a spar over the front door; but so what? It just leads inside to where I was anyway.

Other things I've done:

I ran around the tops of the walls a bit, then tried to skulk through the town. I found the "Mighty Burrick Hunter" (who actually buys his stuffed heads), a couple of Keeper notes to Garrett, I got my room at the inn, I got into the room with the guy the Hammerites killed and left for a warning, and I looted the room next to mine at the inn, the room of the guy who (presumably) went off to find the diamond mine.

But I can't really seem to get anywhere, at least anywhere close to the other objectives! I can't find the docks, I can't find the bank, I have no idea how to break into the bank if I should find it, and like Arcanerain, I can't open the safe where the guy with the Burrick heads lives. I don't know whether he is the "taxidermist;" he seems to buy the heads from one, but he appears to be a sewer maintenance guy himself.

I must be missing loads of things... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dafydd

dafydd
7th Sep 2003, 05:28
Almost --

Nah, I won't go there.

Dafydd

Nightwalker
12th Sep 2003, 03:09
Did you two figure this stuff out yet? I've been away this week and just saw the post. If you still need help, please let me know and I'll give you a boost.

dafydd
12th Sep 2003, 06:34
[Nightwalker]

I don't know about Arcanerain, but I haven't really gotten that much farther. I found a partial walkthrough, which directed me to the miner (ticking off one objective); but the biggie, the bank, remains.

I have no idea how to get into the bank, or even where it is. Offhand, I don't recall whether I have other objectives to accomplish also... I decided to take a break from banging my head against the wall and try a different ThiefG mission.

So I decided to try Elevator.

Yeah, yeah, you can stop laughing.

That's two in a row I hate. But I'm grittily determined to force my way through both Elevator and Errand Boy. So yes, please, any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

If there's not an Elevator topic here, I'll start one; I'm almost finished there -- I think -- I hope -- but I'm getting stuck more and more as the end draws nigh.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Nightwalker
12th Sep 2003, 12:18
I'm not going to be much help with Elevator. I played through it with two friends once and that's it. I'm afraid I've never be moved to play it again, though I must admit that I enjoyed it even though it was fiendishly difficult. It made finishing it a real triumph.

As for Errand Boy, though, that I can help with because I've played it tons of times.

The place in the barracks where you climbed up onto the rafters and up through the "tube thingy" is actually the Bank. It's attached to the barracks. That's just another way in. The clock on the front of the Bank is broken and out for repairs. If you climb up and go through the hole, you'll come out in the place that you crawled up through. Downstairs in the barracks office, you need to slash the wall banner and open the safe behind it.

This mission is basically a key hunt and you need to get into a lot of buildings through upper windows. Have you found the Arches yet? I see you found the Hunter's house. The arches are right beside it. It's just a series of arched windows that you can rope arrow up to. Jump in there or you can go over to the courtyard at the front of the Bank, go through a small door at the far side and up into the same building. There's a scroll you need to read there to get new objectives.

The Keymaster's (Twilder's) is also very near the Hunter's house. If stand with your back to his front door, the Keymaster's door is down in the corner to your right, on the opposite side of the street (just below the Arches, actually.) You need to find the Keymaster's key to get anywhere and where it is moves, depending on difficulty. If you're playing on Expert, check out the basement under his house VERY carefully. Once you have it, you need to go to Smythe's house (I think it's marked on the map.) There's a darkened second floor window. You can climb into it but not the lighted ones, even though they look about the same size. (At least I could never do it.) Once inside, check the fireplace downstairs carefully. I won't say any more. That should get you started on the right track and if you need more help, let me know.

dafydd
13th Sep 2003, 02:34
[Nightwalker]

I'll return to Errand Boy after I either finish Elevator or else just give up inches before the end. (It's also ThiefG, so I would have to use Darkloader to replace Elevator with EB/GR.)

Dafydd

arcanerain
15th Sep 2003, 17:24
I have:

Office Key - is this for the Bank Offices????
Captain Thad****'s Key
Lockbox keys 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8

I have tried to open each of the Office Doors in the bank - no luck.

I have searched the Keymaster's House's basement thoroughly - cannot find the Master key... Broke the barrels, threw the rubble down the shaft to halfway open the floor at the bottom, went to the Hunter's house in the basement, tried breaking the rest of the floor...

Does something fit in the body outline in the ground???

What about the safe in the Hunters/Taxidermist's house? Is there a key?

How do you get in the Mine Manager's house???

Hints would be great!

Thanks!
Dan

Nightwalker
15th Sep 2003, 19:48
The Office key unlocks the door beside the kitchen downstairs in the Hammerite Barracks.

The Keymaster's Key is found in a different location on each difficulty setting. On Normal, it's under the Keymaster's body in the bathtub. On Hard, go down into the sewers below the Hunter's house and look in the corner underneath his body. On Expert, go into the basement below the Keymaster's house and look for a wheel on a pipe that you can turn. Once inside the secret tunnel, smash a wooden section of the ceiling, climb in there and have a look around.

To get into Smythe's house you need to rope arrow up to the window that is dark. You can climb in through that one. If you explore his house carefully, you'll find the key that opens the safe in the Hunter's house.

:)

arcanerain
16th Sep 2003, 17:11
I have the map of the docks and have emptied all lockboxes except George Spagelli's #7.

Any hints where the key is (in the closed shop?) and how to get to the docks????

Thanks!

Nightwalker
16th Sep 2003, 19:29
Check the end of the bakery counter for a key to get into the baker's private rooms. You'll find your missing lockbox key in there. You don't actually get to explore the docks in this mission. You will in the sequel, ShoreLeave though. :)

dafydd
17th Sep 2003, 10:16
[Nightwalker]

Lockbox keys? I never ran across any. Where are they?

Thanks,

Dafydd

Nightwalker
17th Sep 2003, 12:40
They don't exist in Garrett's Revenge, which I think is the one you were playing dafydd. You'll find them if you play Errand Boy. :)

dafydd
18th Sep 2003, 05:00
[Nightwalker]

I wish I'd known that Errand Boy was the much improved rewrite of Garrett's Revenge before I started!

Dafydd

Nightwalker
18th Sep 2003, 13:08
I didn't realize that you were on Garrett's Revenge at first and a lot of people play it anyways, just because they want to play all the missions. It's worth while playing Errand Boy even if you've played GR. It's really much better and you get access to buildings you couldn't get into before. The lighting and clues are much improved as well, plus the mission itself is much more complicated.

dafydd
18th Sep 2003, 19:21
[Nightwalker]

I might give it a try after I finish Making Tracks.

Thanks,

Dafydd