PDA

View Full Version : Character building?

CodyLamp
4th Sep 2003, 23:42
I dont mean in an RPG sense. I mean can you change there hair color? Clothing? Possibly add a detective like hat? I know this isnt a barbie simulator or any crap like that, I just really enjoy making a character from my mind, not one the designers make you use. Especially in games like this, where you choose the out come.

The Corinthian
5th Sep 2003, 01:47
We've seen that you'll be able to change your face, hair color, gender, etc. I remember seeing a really old article somewhere in a PC Gamer saying something about racial background...?

Picasso
5th Sep 2003, 01:58
Gender definitely. It's been said in previews that there will be a host of options for hair color, ethnicity and so on. I doubt there'll be any support for different clothing, although maybe if you wear armor it'll be visible.

PDenton
5th Sep 2003, 06:01
I think that the way they did it in the last DX worked fine. There may not be much choice, but can you imagine how many different models they would have to make if you wanted say 10 different hair colours, 10 different faces, 10 different sets of clothes, as well as choosing the gender thats 2000 posibilities! :eek:

Considering that this is in the first person, you won't see yourself except when you're talking. In the last game it did allow you to be a coloured person and this time it is supposed allow you to be female. I think that should be enough choice, besides I only ever used the first guy they created anyway.

Besides that I don't think that what you look like would really make much difference to the game. It's a minor detail, but who knows they may have more than they did in the last game.

Picasso
5th Sep 2003, 06:11
I'd imagine that clothing (if it were implemented) could simply be attached to the player's model ingame. I.E. you wouldn't have to create a brand new model for every possible combination of clothing. I'm not sure whether the same could be done for options like hair color.

Actually, from what we've seen of the game already, Alex's uniform covers his/her entire body except for the head. It might just be a matter of making a few different head models and then making the engine attach them to a generic body on-the-fly.

I'm not really familiar with the technology, so don't take anything I say as gospel, just thinking out loud.

Edit: Actually, if you want an example of this, look to Knights of the Old Republic. There are literally dozens of uniforms/suits/robes/type of armor you can throw on any of your characters. Even visors. I don't see why DX2 couldn't do the same thing.

Guz
5th Sep 2003, 14:25
a fantasy of mine was to be able to wear Walton Simons coat, that was badarse, why cant youtake it off his corpse :(

PDenton
5th Sep 2003, 16:25
Picasso you're probably right about that, I don't really do computer progamming. :(

Originally posted by Guz
a fantasy of mine was to be able to wear Walton Simons coat, that was badarse, why cant youtake it off his corpse :(

It would be really cool if you could take the clothes off of corpses. It would help you to move around un-noticed :cool:. I mean as ther is daylight in this one :eek: it is going to be much more difficult to sneak around in the shadows, etc. Anyway I think, if they can do what picasso described then it really wouldn't be too difficult. It would be funny to see a male Alex dressed up in one of the WIM's suits!:D

Catman
5th Sep 2003, 17:20
Sounds familiar -- like, hmm, Hitman? ;)

PDenton
5th Sep 2003, 17:49
Originally posted by Catman
Sounds familiar -- like, hmm, Hitman? ;)
Well hitman had a good idea which would also work well in DX:IW:)

CodyLamp
5th Sep 2003, 19:30
Hitman 2 is an excellent game. Like Deus Ex, its finish the mission pretty much how you want. Will you be able to hide bodies in DXIW? Heres another question, where can I read an Official FAQ?

Picasso
5th Sep 2003, 20:06
You can pick up and move bodies in DX2 just like you could in DX.

CodyLamp
6th Sep 2003, 02:28
Ive looked almost everywhere for a FAQ, is there not one?

Catman
6th Sep 2003, 17:55
As soon as I receive official information from Eidos or Ion Storm, I'll put together an FAQ.

Until such time ... :(

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Sep 2003, 08:41
Originally posted by Guz

eerrr because the corpse explodes when you shoot him?

TehFreak
8th Sep 2003, 16:18
Originally posted by CodyLamp
I dont mean in an RPG sense. I mean can you change there hair color? Clothing? Possibly add a detective like hat? I know this isnt a barbie simulator or any crap like that, I just really enjoy making a character from my mind, not one the designers make you use. Especially in games like this, where you choose the out come. you mean you want something like the system in jk3?

Catman
8th Sep 2003, 17:20
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
eerrr because the corpse explodes when you shoot him? Not if you shoot him with tranq darts. :D

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 20:16
Actually, I dragon-toothed him, and i dont think he blew up... it was a while back though.

Trollslayer
8th Sep 2003, 20:16
Well its quite possible. Not sure on detective hats (who'd want those anyway :confused: ?) but the adding of several clothes is possible. Having a model represent something like a trenchcoat or a jacket over the original model is a perfect substitute for actually making endless models. Another example could be realtime morphing models for faces. Instead of having separate heads or other body parts for placement (which could cause problems), the entire model could be deformed to suit player's needs. If anyone here played, for example, Phantasy Star Online, you'll know what i mean, just remember when you get to choose your avatar's body size - same model, only deformable/adjustable height and weight (of course im thinking of a better technology, kinda like the realtime morphing capabilities that Half-Life 2 will use, for example, on floors, to be used on models, and all their levels of importance - face, eyes, nose, hair, arms, torso, legs).

Im not exactly certain of the extents and limitations of Unreal technology, but i think it could pull those off well.

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 20:22
look at this screenshot here (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/screens.html?page=71) it looks like you can take the clothes off of people or something, with the white sleeve, and black glove, your appearance appears to match the other dudes. Food for thought, eh?

Trollslayer
8th Sep 2003, 21:16
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
look at this screenshot here (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/deusexinvisiblewar/screens.html?page=71) it looks like you can take the clothes off of people or something, with the white sleeve, and black glove, your appearance appears to match the other dudes. Food for thought, eh?

Quite possibly, exclusive events. Either joining a faction, or working undercover. But even then its not the same as deciding your initial clothes.

AlteredGlyph
8th Sep 2003, 21:31
True, but if you can pick up clothes, i see no reason for them to not have customizable clothes at the start.

Trollslayer
8th Sep 2003, 21:50
Originally posted by AlteredGlyph
True, but if you can pick up clothes, i see no reason for them to not have customizable clothes at the start.

I think it boils down to how customization would actually be considered. A physical customization is actually more important. Clothes can make a person seem identical to the other, physical traces rarely do it. Two people in the distance with the same trenchcoat and fedora are identical; however, two people, one with short blonde hair and the other with long red hair, despite of identical clothes, are different. I think this is the thing going. No doubt, i wouldn't mind to choose my clothes, defining my own visual. However, specific, defining facial traces are not only easier to implement, they're also more character-defining than clothing.

<{}>tyghk
11th Sep 2003, 01:59
who gives a damn? you dont see yourself that often in the game.

plus, warren says the game will have less rpg development ala d&d, but more choice as to how to progress to the levels.

Leo
11th Sep 2003, 09:57
the ability to draw a tattoo for Alex, that is what we need. A bald male with ones favourite symbol :)

Sadokitty
14th Sep 2003, 14:46
Let us pick the sex of our character at the very least! And being able to change what your character looks like would rock.. what I didn't like about the original deus ex is that the "choice" of who your character is was just a simple choice of hair and skin colour. Lame. :(

It can't be all that hard to do really, and it would make the player be able to emphasize a hell of a lot more with the character they are supposed to be developing...

Lawnboy360
14th Sep 2003, 19:28
Let us pick the sex of our character at the very least!

I answered you question in the thread about the box.

Trollslayer
14th Sep 2003, 19:35
Originally posted by Sadokitty
Let us pick the sex of our character at the very least!

Did you mean to choose the amount of times our character has sex, or did you meant "gender"?

Guz
14th Sep 2003, 20:11
if only all games had a Character Designer as good as the Smackdown games, then all our troubles would be over *sigh* lol

AlteredGlyph
15th Sep 2003, 01:07
Sadokitty, have you read any information about DX2 at all? You can choose the sex of your character, and three skin and hair combinations per gender.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Sep 2003, 10:41
for more info, just read Lawnboy360s post about press release
recent previews (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24087)

Trevion
16th Sep 2003, 00:31
Originally posted by PDenton
Well hitman had a good idea which would also work well in DX:IW:)

Oooh. In some kind of ideal world, DX:IW would implement that. Think of the amount of effort it would take, though. Suppose you have a conversation with a fairly unimporant character. It includes two branch points with three choices, giving you a total of 13 lines of dialog. That's not unreasonable, although in a large level it's going to add up to a lot of dialog. Now suppose that your character can walk up to that character wearing any set of clothes from the level. It would certainly be unreasonable for the NPC to respond the same way to you if you're dressed in a military uniform or a fisherman's garb, so you know have different dialog for each character and each possible set of clothing you wear. Now, suppose you talk to a news vendor as yourself, go off, fight against the Triads for a while and steal one of their uniforms, and then come back to the news vendor. Does she recognize that she's seen you before? How does your change in uniform affect her responses?

I think, after a while, you end up with an unreasonable amount of dialog.