PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft: household name?

Blind Intentions
4th Sep 2003, 17:47
I had a friend over the other day (who doesn't play video games) and she was telling me a story about her cat running out of the house. Her exact words were "I pulled a Lara and jumped off the porch to grab him before he ran into the street" I asked her if she was a fan of Tomb Raider and she said she had only seen the movie.

Later that day I was flipping through the channels and started watching a sitcom where a woman was hanging down from the ceiling in some type of exercise equipment and a girl asked "Wanna get down from there tomb raider?"

Ok yeah this thread is pretty dull but I think it's cool that Lara Croft Tomb Raider is popular outside the gaming and movie arena. :)

THE True Lara
5th Sep 2003, 09:33
I don't think popular is quite the word, known is perhaps a better desription, it's got to the point where it's so well know it can be alluded to in general conversation. -this is however is largely due to the overmarketing that has become it's downfall.

DaveJ
5th Sep 2003, 11:07
I don't know if marketing or over-marketing led to any downfall.

Some (both gamers and non-gamers) may have become sick of the sight of her, but the fact that the games became gradually less innovative and inventive certainly didn't help.

No amount of marketing in the world can cover that up.

dhama
5th Sep 2003, 17:16
Originally posted by DaveJ
Some (both gamers and non-gamers) may have become sick of the sight of her........

Don't agree entirely with that, I think people have just got too used to her, like a piece of furniture maybe............

AndrewIII
5th Sep 2003, 20:25
No, gamers and basically the gaming industry literally want Lara to just die. I can name more than 3 video game publications(who names I'm going to withhold) who said so.

Anyhow, Eidos basically watered down the Tomb Raider franchise to the point where Lara Croft is no longer is associated with the video games,but rather cheap commercials,movies,comic books and all that uneeded stuff.

Raven
5th Sep 2003, 23:14
Cheerful as ever, AndrewIII :p :D
I know I certainly don't want Lara to die, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one! I know some gaming magazines have expressed the opinion that TR should just call it a day, but such articles, remember, are only written by one member of that magazines staff...they don't speak for everyone at that magazine, much less the entire gaming community.

Lara and TR are still as popular as they ever were, IMO. Which leads me on to DaveJ's comment about the games becoming less inventive and so on....I have to disagree with this as well. I honestly don't understand this point of view, because I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the TR games. My experience of playing them was that each one, with the exception of Chronicles, had its own special "flavour" to it. There were bits in each game which were highly memorable, and the music helped to create unique atmosphere as well.
I'm currently replaying TR-3 after only having played it once, three years ago, and I'm enjoying it SO much, more than even I thought I would.

The following are general comments, not aimed at Andrew or DaveJ in particular!

In some ways I think it's almost become fashionable to regard only the first one of a series as being any good, and to automatically declare all sequels soulless cash-ins. That's the party line that I feel some reviewers follow automatically, without really giving themselves a chance to enjoy the game. But then, we live in a world that can be very cynical, and some people would rather find fault than be entertained, it seems.

LARAMANIAC
6th Sep 2003, 08:31
Originally posted by dhama
Don't agree entirely with that, I think people have just got too used to her, like a piece of furniture maybe............

Which means yes, in reply to the thread question!! :p

LARAMANIAC
6th Sep 2003, 08:38
Originally posted by Raven

In some ways I think it's almost become fashionable to regard only the first one of a series as being any good, and to automatically declare all sequels soulless cash-ins. That's the party line that I feel some reviewers follow automatically, without really giving themselves a chance to enjoy the game. But then, we live in a world that can be very cynical, and some people would rather find fault than be entertained, it seems.

I think the key word in your statement is series!! Tomb Raider has been developed as a series, it is the ongoing adventures in Lara's life. Fans buy the next installment to see the next installment in our heroine's life!! Some sequels that are released just shouldn't have even be written imo. Changing media here a bit, but the sequel to the Blair Witch Project - what was that all about?? Didn't even bother to watch it, the original movie I loved, but how could there even have been an attempt at a second movie? Basically what it all boils down to, yet again is Kerching!!!!! :p

GoranAgar
6th Sep 2003, 09:00
I don't know if marketing or over-marketing led to any downfall.

Some (both gamers and non-gamers) may have become sick of the sight of her.
Good thing we don't see her here on every wall and bus like you do in England.

DaveJ
6th Sep 2003, 09:04
Originally posted by AndrewIII
I would say Link is more popular than Lara Croft would ever be.

Who is Link?

DaveJ
6th Sep 2003, 09:07
Originally posted by GoranAgar
Good thing we don't see her here on every wall and bus like you do in England.

What on earth do you take pictures of in Germany then?
:p

DaveJ
6th Sep 2003, 09:13
Lara and TR are still as popular as they ever were, IMO. Which leads me on to DaveJ's comment about the games becoming less inventive and so on....I have to disagree with this as well. I honestly don't understand this point of view, because I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the TR games.

As have I..... ish.

But being subjective I can still see where something is going wrong whilst enjoying it at the same time.
I enjoyed AOD but was perfectly aware of its flaws and shortcomings. Personally I enjoyed it, but being realistic I could see it wasn't going to be the re-invigoration of the franchise everyone hoped it would be.

The first TR game I played was TR:LR. To me it was incredible.
But following the path and chain of thought of those who have played the series from the very beginning - sequentially - I can understand why more and more people thought they were seeing diminshing returns.

On a side note, does anyone else remember the dire Super Mario movie?

GoranAgar
6th Sep 2003, 09:13
Link is the dude from Zelda and I take pictures of my beautiful wife. :)

DaveJ
6th Sep 2003, 09:17
Zelda?

They must be very popular indeed....

I know what and who you take pictures of.... but the reason behind your delight at finding new backdrops in this country suddenly becomes more apparent!
;)

thanhkim
9th Sep 2003, 20:17
and so she should be a household name. I for one don't want to see Lara curl up and die. All I need to say is lovely chocolate golden brown braid and big cow eyes.

AndrewIII
10th Sep 2003, 04:48
q

DaveJ
10th Sep 2003, 09:14
...Link is hardly a household name though, is he.
Where are his movies?
Where are his comic book adventures?
Where are his 29 million copies of games sold worldwide?

And if he's so well known - why did I have to ask who the heck he is?
;)

AndrewIII
10th Sep 2003, 18:21
...Link is hardly a household name though, is he.
Where are his movies?
Where are his comic book adventures?
Where are his 29 million copies of games sold worldwide?

And if he's so well known - why did I have to ask who the heck he is?
;)

Thats the magic about it. Nintendo don't need to attach his character to any type of movie,comic book or any type of that Jargon. His character is known is from the long history games Nintendo have starring.

As for the number of games, between TR and LoZ, LoZ beat TR by miles.

DaveJ
11th Sep 2003, 11:14
I refer the honourable gentleman to the titular post of the thread.

Link is not a household name.... yet. (Unless you count bathroom detergents.) ;)

I've played a wide variety of games across many different platforms over the years, and yet he is still unknown to me.

I think its safe to say that amongst non-gaming households his name would be equally meaningless.

The LOZ games do have an impressive sales history though.... maybe my nintendo savvy is not as polished as it should be.
;)

Deekman
11th Sep 2003, 11:55
each one, with the exception of Chronicles, had its own special "flavour" to it.

And yet, because of Chronicles we have the myriad of wonders and innovation created by our friends in the level editing community.

Raven
12th Sep 2003, 04:28
Certainly, the level editor was a wonderful idea. I wasn't knocking Chronicles, I hasten to add, I enjoyed playing it and still own it. It's just that to me, it felt more like an expansion pack to TR 1-4 than a game in it's own right...it didn't have a unique atmosphere like the others. But to be fair, I've always thought it was intended as a gap filler and a way to tie up the original series, and in that respect it succeeded.

thanhkim
13th Sep 2003, 22:45
I refer the honourable gentleman to the titular post of the thread.

Link is not a household name.... yet. (Unless you count bathroom detergents.) ;)

I've played a wide variety of games across many different platforms over the years, and yet he is still unknown to me.

I think its safe to say that amongst non-gaming households his name would be equally meaningless.

The LOZ games do have an impressive sales history though.... maybe my nintendo savvy is not as polished as it should be.
;) Who is Link? When you say Tombraider Lara Croft everyone knows it. Now that's a household name

AndrewIII
15th Sep 2003, 12:24
[

Mgardiner
16th Sep 2003, 01:10
Because Lara wouldnt exactly fit into Soul Caliber now would she? Besides your opinion dosent matter till you've been here for 2 months :p lol j/k

AndrewIII
16th Sep 2003, 01:37
[

Mgardiner
16th Sep 2003, 03:49
<---curious to know the date of that poll, and for the record you come here dissing Lara you wont get a good response these are after all the official boards.