PDA

View Full Version : Keys in FPS games

Pentti
1st Sep 2003, 19:50
What kind of movement and other keys do you use in fps games?

I use a bit different than most:

E = forward
D = backward
S = strafe left
F = strafe right
R = jump
W = duck, crouch
Q = reload
SPACE = use
MWHEELDOWN = next weapon
MWHEELUP = last weapon
MOUSE 1 = shoot
MOUSE 2 = special, shoot different
Y = flashlight

That's the most of it.

Thank you and come again. :cool:

AlteredGlyph
1st Sep 2003, 20:03
I use pretty much standard keys, but generally i map crouch to CTRL and use to shift, with various other common functions(not reload), mapped to Q and E.

Lawnboy360
1st Sep 2003, 21:28
In most shooters (not DX) I use standard stuff

W Forward
A Strafe left
S Backward
D Strafe right

E Use
R Reload
F Flashlight

Shift Walk
Ctrl Crouch
Space Jump

F6/F7 quick save / quick load

Mouse wheel : weapon scroll
Mouse 1 : Fire
Mouse 2 : Alternate Fire

In DX it would be pretty much the same, except
Q and E = leaning and
Mouse 2 = Use.

exo
2nd Sep 2003, 00:17
Yah I use edsf

I even got my friends to convert.

it just makes more sense because you have more keys to play around with on both sides of your hand.

a for crouching, q for stowing your weapon or holster it. g for use key, w for drop weapon. x for weapon firing rate mode.

wsad makes me feel like my hands are scrunched up to the side of the keyboard.

why a for crouching? well while crouching you never have to hold the "walk/sneak" button because your crouching. having crouching as c while using esdf means your index finger will be tied up when you need to strafe right while crouching ;\

Leaning has made me bind my intellimouse 3.0 thumb buttons to alt and ctrl.

I then bind alt (main thumb button) to crouch and make a lean left and z lean right.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Sep 2003, 07:59
I usually play around the numpad :

the arrows to move, 0 to crouch, . to jump, +/- to quicksave/load, mouse left to fire, right to use, wheel to scroll between weapons.

I don't think I use anything else (apart from F4-F12 for Augs, in DX1)

Gruf
2nd Sep 2003, 10:35
bind reload to mouse button 3 (pressing down on the wheel)
and, as I just got a intellimouse explorer,
in deus ex, scope in to mouse button 4
inventory screen for mouse button 5

keyboard controls pretty much standard, cept for binding disable all augs to numpad zero...

The_Guided
2nd Sep 2003, 15:26
Would this be a popular setup as i have questioned some of my freinds and said that they have never heard of that before :-

fire: Right Alt
secondary or scope: .
reload: /
jump: Space
Strafe left/right: m ,
Crouch: b
lean left/right: k l
forward: mouse button 1
backward: mouse button 2
previous/next weapon: mouse wheel

The rest are placed notso far from the cluster of chosen buttons.

Looking forward to the new mouse wheel tilt technology, when that comes out the tilt will go straight to use with the leaning, so straightforward.

If anyone else uses a similar setup give us a toot.

PDenton
2nd Sep 2003, 19:00
I think I'd have to agree with your friends in saying that I've never heard of your setup before. I think ti would just be alkward. I use the same setup as Lawnboy except that I have crouch as "C", and reload as middle button.:D

*Edit*
corrected a typo

The_Guided
2nd Sep 2003, 19:06
But i find it the most natural way of playing, well i suppose playing like that since i ever got a pc has seemed to have embedded it into my natural rithym of things. But can you believe that i was taught to do it this way? from a bloke who was my freind named Craig. This setup has led me to beat quite a few people and regurly (or however it is spelt) to be in the top 3 on games like mohaa i only recently got broadband like 6 months ago so its not down to experience.

exo
2nd Sep 2003, 19:44
Top 3 in what?

In a single match?

Big whoopy for you friend.

MOH:AA blows. Play a real game. Call for Duty will be out soon, better than MOH that's for sure.

Bio Denton
2nd Sep 2003, 22:58
I use a gamepad and game mouse. The gamepad has lots of stuff on it and the mouse is standard, except for a 4-directional hat under your thumb, for movement.

Bio Denton
2nd Sep 2003, 22:59
Originally posted by The_Guided
Would this be a popular setup as i have questioned some of my freinds and said that they have never heard of that before :-

fire: Right Alt
secondary or scope: .
reload: /
jump: Space
Strafe left/right: m ,
Crouch: b
lean left/right: k l
forward: mouse button 1
backward: mouse button 2
previous/next weapon: mouse wheel

The rest are placed notso far from the cluster of chosen buttons.

Looking forward to the new mouse wheel tilt technology, when that comes out the tilt will go straight to use with the leaning, so straightforward.

If anyone else uses a similar setup give us a toot.

That's old school, before the days of mouse-look. How do you look around?

BrainPrawn
2nd Sep 2003, 23:13
I use this setup in all my FPS games. I use a Micro$oft ergo keyboard.

I guess I am some kind of anomaly...

I use:

L-Ctl = forward
L-Shift = backward
Z = step left
X = step right
A = lean left
S = lean right
L-Alt = crouch
Caps = walk toggle

use= wheel click
wheel up weapon or zoom
wheel down weapon or zoom

I have never been able to use the wasd or esdf at all. I would cramp up in about sixty seconds.

The_Guided
3rd Sep 2003, 08:47
That's old school, before the days of mouse-look. How do you look around?

You know that i use the mouse to move forward and backward, well i also use the mouse to look around like many other people.

Plus mohaa is better than spearhead with multiplayer, spearhead is just s**t with ping i'm just saying that it ain't down to experiance i think it is the setup i use. Don't have a go does it look like i'm boasting about my places in deathmatch? hope not becuase if you having a go you must be some sort of jealous person but of what i don't know hopefully not the places as that would mwan that your a bit poop aswell. :p

DarkForge
3rd Sep 2003, 14:02
I look, turn and aim with the mouse. I have walk forward assigned to the right button, fire to the left, and I have (for Deus Ex at least) Use bound to the middle button. (In a game that uses secondary fire modes - the Unreal games, for example - I would have the middle mouse button as secondary fire).

My left hand has three fingers resting over the comma, period and M keys. Comma and period are to sidestep, M is to move backwards. My little finger can rest over the space bar for jump. I can quickly move the hand to any other keys, like C for crouch or U for the use key.

As for weapon switching: call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer to use the number buttons across the top. I can almost always remember which weapons go with which keys, so I can press one to go straight to the weapon I wish to use. I never scroll through my weapons to choose them, so my mousewheel or other scrolling keys are rarely - if ever - used.

The_Guided
3rd Sep 2003, 14:08
thats even more strange than mine, i wouldn't be able to do that for years