PDA

View Full Version : Who in here farms?

littlek
31st Aug 2003, 23:16
Setting the scene.....

The weather channel and all the local taffers had forecasted a most wonderous weekend. So half of my hay field was cut yesterday. Guess what had been going on ALL F#@$%! day?

Ah yes....IT"S RAINING...more tomorrow too.

What have I done to anger the rain gods this time? Ever since my barn cat, Toto came up missing this spring, every cutting of my hay has been rained on.

littlek scurries off in search of her MIA cat, Toto. "Here Toto, kitty, kitty.

Shayde
1st Sep 2003, 05:46
We have some Sangomas here that claim to be able to control the rain. maybe you should fly one over.

Gumdrop
1st Sep 2003, 11:28
Originally posted by littlek
Who in here farms?My nextdoor neighbour has a gooseberry bush that partially grows over the wall into our garden. I farm my half. Does that count? :confused:

littlek
1st Sep 2003, 15:10
Gummie - are they tastey? Then that counts.

Uh, Shayde....whats a Sangomas? If the rain gods listen to them as well as they listened to Toto the cat, then bring 'em on.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

howie
3rd Sep 2003, 02:05
Yeah, I grew up on a farm, FFA, Vo Ag, Fair projects, and chicken judging are all in my resume` during my younger days. As you know, the small family farm has become a thing of the past with the big 3,000 acre + commerical farms taking over the food supply. It's a real shame that the world has come to this in so many ways -- God willing it won't subject the worlds food supply to the ticking timebomb of genetic monoculture. Variety is the Spice of Life is so true in this case. (Sorry, I got off topic.) --> It's nice to read that you are still going it on your own -- with or without rain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One unforunate thing about rained on hay is the fact it becomes nothing but stems by the time it drys out enough to bail. You can always use it for bedding for the horses but it's pretty well usless for anything else. Hopefully you'll have enough growing season time to fill the gap mother nature left in your stack.

littlek
3rd Sep 2003, 12:15
LOL Howie. 4-H chickens? I bet it will surprise everyone in this forum that I had a horse as a 4-H project. Yes its true. I don't live in Ohio anymore so I wander through the local county fair here in Indiana. The horse groups need help but I think the chickens looked good. I enjoyed the pigmy goat show. And I could have won the tallest sunflower plant had I known this was a contest. My hay was rained on for 4 days.....I think it is safe to say I won't be entering any hay from this cutting in the fair next year.

yubetcha
3rd Sep 2003, 13:30
Okay, I'll bite... why does rain make hay useless? Why is it worse after it dries out than before the rain?

littlek
3rd Sep 2003, 13:57
It may mold if baled too wet, wet bales heat up and destroy certain nutrients. It may also combust then burn yer barn down. Rained on hay looses nutrients because you have to keep it out in the sun longer to dry it out. Radiation destroys certain nutrients. And especially with alfalfa, it looses its leaves from being mechanically handeled so mucb trying to dry it out and its in the leaves where are the good stuff is. This is why they say, "Make hay while the sun shines."

yubetcha
3rd Sep 2003, 14:24
Hmmm, some of that sounds familiar. I think I read some of that somewhere. But at any rate, I learned some new things here. Thanks, littlek. :)

yubetcha
3rd Sep 2003, 14:36

What have I done to anger the rain gods this time?

You haven't posted in LAG for awhile.
:D
(BTW, shouldn't we get out of the library? It seems kind of boring in there :) ).

littlek
3rd Sep 2003, 15:20
Been thinking about the LAG. I'll see what I can come up with....been stuck on your trance man. Maybe he's a freind and not a foe. I also thought the giant spider could have really been that lady ghost ..can't remember her name right now. Hmmmm got some ideas already. :D

yubetcha
3rd Sep 2003, 15:25
Been thinking about the LAG. I'll see what I can come up with....been stuck on your trance man. Maybe he's a freind and not a foe. I also thought the giant spider could have really been that lady ghost ..can't remember her name right now. Hmmmm got some ideas already. :D

Some good ideas, littlek. Go for it, if you want. I wasn't sure where you wanted to go with your last post. I hope I didn't ruin anything.
Oops! A few minutes before I read this post, I edited LAG so that the trance man was really a zombie. That might mess you up, so I'll change it back. It's just that the idea of a man in a trance sounded strange when I reread it. But I'll change it back to a trancer. :) If you're stuck on the trance man, just get rid of him. Suppose he went to find another door, and doesn't come back. I came up with him only because I needed someone to relight the torch. :)

littlek
3rd Sep 2003, 15:41
Zombie man works and he is easily dispatched. hehehehe

Alpacalips Cow
8th Sep 2003, 03:50
4H, VoAg, FFA, and uh... I specialized in cattle judging... guess you could see that one coming. All that and the most I've farmed is trees. Basicly yep there they are pass me another beer will you? You might think on it, just takes patience. Plus it hides the cash crop. KIDDING! I actually have to walk it every so often to make certain there aren't any unauthorised weeds. Life on Copperhead road.

Never you mind how I know what it looks like.

littlek
10th Sep 2003, 19:04
LOL, I now will view tree farms with more interest. :D