PDA

View Full Version : wtf? only 6 aug slots??



mark265
31st Aug 2003, 20:40
i just noticed this now...what the hell ! i thought the ones in the original DX to be very few and now they are reducing it even more while saying that there will be more augs than the original !! Why is that ..may i ask ?

Lawnboy360
31st Aug 2003, 20:44
There was a lot of useless augs in DX.

BMKane
31st Aug 2003, 21:16
There may be less slots, but I'm pretty sure you can remove existing mods. You might only have 6, but they'll be the 6 kickin'est augs in the game. You wont end up stuck with the power recirculator, or something of equivalent uselessness :P.

Picasso
31st Aug 2003, 22:35
Active biomods are just like augs were in the first game: They use energy, and you turn them on and off. They cover things like Bot Domination, the Strength and Quickness abilities, and so on. There are 18 of them, just like in the first game, except here they're seperated into 6 slots (with three choices each) rather than 9 slots (with 2 choices each). Additionally, there is one more active biomod which all characters have (probably a light, like in DX).

Passive biomods are just like skills were in the first game: They're on all the time and don't use energy. They cover things like swimming and hacking (the Neural Interface biomod). We don't know how many of them there are, or how their slot system works (if they have a slot system).

Personally, I'd much rather have six good active biomods that are actually useful to my character than nine that are semi-useful. There were many augs in DX that I never bothered to use no matter what character I was playing (EMP Shield, Synthetic Heart, either of the arm augmentations).

[IS]XXX
1st Sep 2003, 02:38
Originally posted by Picasso
Active biomods are just like augs were in the first game: They use energy, and you turn them on and off. They cover things like Bot Domination, the Strength and Quickness abilities, and so on. There are 18 of them, just like in the first game, except here they're seperated into 6 slots (with three choices each) rather than 9 slots (with 2 choices each). Additionally, there is one more active biomod which all characters have (probably a light, like in DX).

Passive biomods are just like skills were in the first game: They're on all the time and don't use energy. They cover things like swimming and hacking (the Neural Interface biomod). We don't know how many of them there are, or how their slot system works (if they have a slot system).

Personally, I'd much rather have six good active biomods that are actually useful to my character than nine that are semi-useful. There were many augs in DX that I never bothered to use no matter what character I was playing (EMP Shield, Synthetic Heart, either of the arm augmentations).

Amen to that. I hated synthetic heart, as it was a big........................................ thing. Power recirculation always seemed much more efficient to me, and in MP, it's completely obsolete. The arm as well, I always chose combat aug, but I really never used it. Cause low-tech is usually a choice of stealth, where you holster your pistol or rifle, pull out DTS, prod, etc., use it, then pull out weapon again. You just don't think about using the when you are sneaking up on a person (wasting half a minute's worth of BE) and then turn it on and off for a quick second.

BTW, it would be cool if low-tech was a passive and active biomod (at the same time), but I'm not sure how they're implementing passive/active system.

mark265
1st Sep 2003, 06:23
Active biomods are just like augs were in the first game: They use energy, and you turn them on and off. They cover things like Bot Domination, the Strength and Quickness abilities, and so on. There are 18 of them, just like in the first game, except here they're seperated into 6 slots (with three choices each) rather than 9 slots (with 2 choices each). Additionally, there is one more active biomod which all characters have (probably a light, like in DX).

Passive biomods are just like skills were in the first game: They're on all the time and don't use energy. They cover things like swimming and hacking (the Neural Interface biomod). We don't know how many of them there are, or how their slot system works (if they have a slot system).



hmm well that makes sense..

will you be upgrading them (both active and passive) to levels like the first or once you install it there will be nothing more needed? i really hope they will include upgrading..

Picasso
1st Sep 2003, 06:36
The active upgrades will have three levels total. There's an example here. (http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/deusexinvisiblewar_i.phtml)


Let's say the player chooses Enhanced Vision. Level One is thermal nightvision. Level Two allows the player to see organic heat signatures through walls. Level Three allows the player to see thermal footprints left by organic units walking around. So, ultimately, the player has to make tradeoff decisions about which BioMods to choose and about which ones to upgrade.

We don't know for certain, but the passive biomods will probably be the same way. Anyway, you can see in that example the direction that they're taking with biomods. The idea is for upgrades to give cool new abilities rather than statistical bonuses. They're doing the same thing with weapon mods, like the glass destabilizer. After all, what would you rather have, the ability to silently disintegrate glass, or a .2 second reduction in reload time? Which is cooler?

Another thing that occured to me is that the strength biomod will probably be a lot cooler in DX2 than it was in DX because of the improved physics. It's been mentioned in previews that you'll be able to hurt people by throwing things at them, which will make super-strength very fun. Imagine if, during the escape from UNATCO, you could beat Manderley to death with his own couch instead of just shooting him.

sajcd
1st Sep 2003, 19:57
If you can indeed beat someone to death with a couch...that would be the coolest ever in a video game.

You're right. Using the strength aug with the awesome Havok physics engine would provide hours of entertainment.

Just think if you could kill the NSF guys in the basketball court in DX by throwing the basketball at them.

Random
2nd Sep 2003, 01:41
The other thing is that having fewer biomods slots lets you have a more customised character. I foresee many forum debates over which biomods are best. ;)

override367
2nd Sep 2003, 08:30
Now can you kill one guard and pick him up and use his body as a weapon to kill a different guard? I haven't gotten that in a game since die by the sword. (picking up a kobolds arm with the sword still in its hand and swinging it at various critters was fun)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
2nd Sep 2003, 08:52
I think in severance : blade of darkness, you can pick various body parts from your victims as weapons.

apart from that, why oculdn't you put a grenade in the mouth of a freshly cut head, and throw it to your ennemies to scare them before you kill them? (has anyone seen Battle Royale?)

Frost Giant
3rd Sep 2003, 18:12
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
I think in severance : blade of darkness, you can pick various body parts from your victims as weapons.

That is correct, I found that game to be quite satisfying in some parts.:D

Leo
11th Sep 2003, 09:06
Will I be able to periodically switch biomods? For example, when I need to swim I install swimming mod, then muscle mod, then again the swimming biomod. If the switching is fast then it is ok, but if the swimming mod cannot be re-used ... well :(

Godwin
11th Sep 2003, 09:44
are there any mods which cannot be 'reused' ??? :confused:

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
12th Sep 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Leo
Will I be able to periodically switch biomods? For example, when I need to swim I install swimming mod, then muscle mod, then again the swimming biomod. If the switching is fast then it is ok, but if the swimming mod cannot be re-used ... well :(

It has been said you can install a biomod in a slot already used, but it destrys the first biomod, and any upgrade you could have had installed
that means if you have a level 3 biomod in your left arm (say augmented force) and you want to put a swimming biomod (if they take the same slot, again it's an example), the strength biomod disappears, and you have a level 1 swimming biomod.

so you have to carefully choose your biomods

sackme
3rd Oct 2003, 12:28
I noticed that a while ago but didnt bother to mention it as i didnt have time or patients to type about it (instead i just went n played DX on the net, much more fun!:D ) but the 6 slots instead of 9 might mean that you cant go all out powerful with augs like i do, but you have to be more selective if what augs you install (hum difficult) and therefore it could lead to a more interesting game play or not, Which ever way you see it.




SMILES EVERYONE SMILES, This is like some great fantasy!:rolleyes:

Trollslayer
3rd Oct 2003, 13:08
Originally posted by Frost Giant
That is correct, I found that game to be quite satisfying in some parts.:D

Didn't you meant, i found it quite satisfying by using some parts? ;)

BMKane
6th Oct 2003, 04:13
I don't think I'll comment on the sexual innuendo that could be found in that statement if we looked hard enough ;)

TehFreak
6th Oct 2003, 15:59
you don't really need to look all that hard....

Lawnboy360
6th Oct 2003, 16:13
The number of aug slots is just a little design decision amongst others, it's not like it's:

(Funfactor) = (Augslots) x (HUDsurface/screensurface) + (Locationbaseddamage)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
7th Oct 2003, 09:22
(Funfactor) = (Augslots) x (HUDsurface/screensurface) + (Locationbaseddamage)

I'd rather think

(Funfactor) = (Augslots) x (screensurface/HUDsurface) + (Locationbaseddamage)

Lawnboy360
7th Oct 2003, 11:08
Damn, you're right. :)

vick1000
7th Oct 2003, 16:12
Originally posted by sajcd
If you can indeed beat someone to death with a couch...that would be the coolest ever in a video game.

You're right. Using the strength aug with the awesome Havok physics engine would provide hours of entertainment.

Just think if you could kill the NSF guys in the basketball court in DX by throwing the basketball at them.

"Sign that guy with the Knicks"

Anyone remember that?

In Rune,you could use body parts as well,very entertaining.

And you could kill Manderly with his couch,in theory,if you
could survive long enough,I killed the Whore that follows
you around in the Luck Money with a metal crate.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
8th Oct 2003, 08:52
And you could kill Manderly with his couch,in theory,if you
could survive long enough,I killed the Whore that follows
you around in the Luck Money with a metal crate.

it depends when. at some points, he is invicible. you can only kill him after you escape from the MJ12 facility

BMKane
10th Oct 2003, 17:57
Originally posted by vick1000
"Sign that guy with the Knicks"



System Shock 2 is just chock full of good moments :)