PDA

View Full Version : Auto targeting? No, please!!!

Centauro
31st Aug 2003, 17:47
You know what, looking at those screenshots, seeing the too obtrusive HUD with the crosshair not centered in the visual field, makes me suspicious about a possible autotargeting function on DXIW. Or could it be like those jet fighters thing that ID the target's position but you still have to center your crosshair over it?

Hmmm, I'd hate auto targeting... It's OK in a game like TombRaider, but DX?

If they'd implemented such a thing, it would had to be something you could turn off.

Those who already played it for some minutes, any comments?

--Revel In Your Time--

W.C. Duck
31st Aug 2003, 18:24
It's probably not auto aiming, when looking to this screenshot:

http://www.deusex.com/screens/pc/fullsize/DXIW08.jpg

you can still see the crosshair on the spot where it should be.

What you see on your next victim's body is only general info about that person.
the upper bar is probably a health indicator,
the circle points the target's location,
and the man-icon says the target is human.

Lawnboy360
31st Aug 2003, 20:49
If the crosshairs really weren't at the center, then it was simply a XBox screenshot. Same for the videos. All console FPS have auto-aim.

freakzilla11
1st Sep 2003, 03:44
Originally posted by Lawnboy360
If the crosshairs really weren't at the center, then it was simply a XBox screenshot. Same for the videos. All console FPS have auto-aim.

Red Faction has auto-aim too. I liked it in Red Faction.

mark265
1st Sep 2003, 06:26
well maybe they should just allow you to turn it on or off in options..problem solved !!

Lord Outcast
1st Sep 2003, 11:17
No, that screenshot is marked an a PC screenshot. But, seeing as the gun is pointing straight ahead and such, I doubt that it's autoaiming.

Deus (Seraph)
1st Sep 2003, 13:00
There is no possibility that DX:IW includes a fix autotargeting system! Reason? Because it would ruin the Deus Ex athmosphere of complete choice: You would ont be able to decide which guy you shoot first, you would loose ability to target a wall nearby to distract somebody, you would have difficulties shooting at a explosive barrel instead of the enemy (because you have only one bullet left) and I think as in DX there will be weapons which require you to shoot in front of an moving enemy to hit it.

Foten
1st Sep 2003, 15:52
I think I know what that thing that you call autoaming is, its probally a aug thats been activated, cuase if you look at the screen that W.C. Duck posted you will see square around one of the augs to the right!:cool:

W.C. Duck
1st Sep 2003, 16:29
originally posted by foten
I think I know what that thing that you call autoaming is, its probally a aug thats been activated, cuase if you look at the screen that W.C. Duck posted you will see square around one of the augs to the right!

The augmentation is activated allright, but that's just the flashlight if you ask me.

MR X
2nd Sep 2003, 01:18
All console FPS have auto-aim.

Apparently you've never played Halo. Or any fps for Xbox. The Xbox conveniently has 2 thumb pads, so fps can operate fairly simarly to the PC set up (moving with key board, aiming with mouse). So, there should be little worries about deus ex 2.

Random
2nd Sep 2003, 01:37
I doubt there will be autoaiming on PC. All console shooters have it because they need it. (I'm pretty sure the PS2 version of DX1 had autoaim, too.) That stuff shown on the screenshot looks like a targeting biomod of some kind.

And for the record, the HUD is not obtrusive.

Centauro
2nd Sep 2003, 12:26
...for the record, the HUD is not obtusive...

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks for your replies ppl.

PS: Actually, it was 'autoaiming' the word I was searching for when I wrote, not autotargeting... :rolleyes: Well, my english is not so good as I tought.

PDenton
2nd Sep 2003, 19:07
I doubt that they would dumb it down enough to have it aim for you. In tomb Raider it wourked because it was third person and you can't really aim from that angle.:D

I think that the info is probably some sort of passive biomod. In DX there was an aiming aug that gave you info about the person, their weapon and their health on top level.

Personally I don't agree with auto aim, however on consoles I think you probably need it because it is harder to aim accuratley with the controll stick (at least I find it hard to do so).:p