PDA

View Full Version : Saving

headbutt
31st Aug 2003, 00:29
Saving your game was so annoying in DX1, it takes forever and if you cut down your saves, if you die you you need to load the last save, the game should have some kind of checkpoint system so if you die you just re-start the level, or atleast there should be quick saves. Anyone know anything about DXIW

Picasso
31st Aug 2003, 01:06
or atleast there should be quick saves.

You do know that DX had quicksaves, right?

Lawnboy360
31st Aug 2003, 01:20
You do know that DX had quicksaves, right?
:D

Because DXIW uses a different engine, the time required to save the game will probably be different.

I remember that quick-saving in System Shock 2 was really painless (3 seconds, with a small "quicksaving" at the top of the screen. Baldur's Gate 2 (and all IE games) were pretty annoying because quicksaving displayed a "saving" (full)screen which took you out the game itself and it was quite long...

TheDerf
31st Aug 2003, 02:15
I think that you should earn quicksaves. I'm one of those people who quicksaves around every corner just because I can. Deus Ex's quicksaving can really be a pain. I say that something you would do that will normally give you skill points in Deus Ex will give you quick saves in DX2. One per thingy. I don't want a million quicksaves on my hand, and I don't want to be saving everytime I kill someone.

Ridiculous_Ray
31st Aug 2003, 09:50
any of you ever play "Alone in the Dark 4: the new nightmare"? in it there was an annoying feature for saving in which you had to have a "save charm" in order to save the game. personally i wasnt a big fan, for several reasons. 1) they were handed out like candy 2) wtf is this little charm that allows me to save?

i enjoy the freedom to save whenever i want as often as i want, should i want

Random
31st Aug 2003, 12:01
I know a save anywhere system can kill the immersion of a game, but I think any other checkpoint or autosave system would kill it just as much. I'd prefer a save anywhere feature for DX2, I think, because it allows you to manage your game much more effectively. You can choose which saves to keep and which to discard with that system, too.

blath
31st Aug 2003, 14:14
save anywhere but limited saves tends to be my favourite (well used in hitman 2 as the number of saves decreased the harder level u put it on) and operation flashpoint only had 1 save so u had 2 use it well, not after EVERY SINGLE KILL OR BIT OF WALKING :)

mr blath

Picasso
31st Aug 2003, 18:29
I recall someone at Ion Storm (I think it was DrLoomis) saying that he couldn't speak in any official capacity, but in his personal opinion, if you need limited saves to introduce tension into your game, you need to look at why your game doesn't have enough tension in the first place.

Deus (Seraph)
31st Aug 2003, 19:10
I tend to save very often if I have the possibility to do so, but I have experienced, as long as I have a "savescount" that I do it less - as was the case in DX.
In my opinion one of the best "save - solutions" was that of Outcast: You could save everywhere, but saving would take a little amount of time, also nearby Enemies would hear it. (It was also explained as an ingame device, what made it even more likeable)
But games that tell me I can't save now, because I have saved around the corner annoy me that much, to not waste a moment of thought for the decision not to buy that specific game.

Gruf
31st Aug 2003, 21:31
Personally, I like checkpoints as a backup to quicksaves. I tend to quicksave around 4-5 times on a tough level (like that JKII thing, I like to know I'm not going to quickload right into an ambush...) but I usually forget in the easier missions, die blowing up the generator in Hells Kitchen and then quickload, only to find myself in Liberty Island (where I last saved) again...
checkpoints at the start of missions and then quicksaves after that is the best way to do things

BMKane
31st Aug 2003, 22:00
Yea, all games should autosave before beginning a mission. I can't remember what game it was, but I played one once that was incredibly hard, and didn't quicksave. I kept dieing and losing hours fo gameplay because I forgot to save :S

HL had a good autosave system. It autosaved when starting a chapter or major map, and before though battles, and it was practically invisible. Just a couple seconds of lag.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
1st Sep 2003, 13:33
Yes, I got caught the first time I played DX1 : I thought the "saving map" at the end of each area meant the game was autosaving. the first time I died, I tried to restore this autosave, and of course I couldn't find it. I had to replay everything. but the quicksave in DX1 doesn't take so long, I didn't think it was to bad for immersion. I used it to restart breathing, especially after stressful situations (and there are a LOT of stressful situations.)

there is something I found harder to explain, concerning immersion : when you are running away from people shooting at you, you cross the frontier to another area, and the guard just disappears... he must rely on his colleagues to cath me. on the other side, if you are shot at, or shooting, and you cross the frontier, the guard on the other side haven't heard anything and don't react to your presence...

murka390
3rd Sep 2003, 14:21
I personally would choose "save anytime", and if somebody has mind problems, that can't resist saveing the game all the time :P
well ... thats your problem.
but the best way to solve this, would be to put in options mode (or in the beginning of the game) the option to choose, how will your save's be

smthng like this:

easy - save anytime & autosave @ the beginning of the stage/city/etc.

normal - autosave, when completed a mission, save @ the beginning of the stage/city/etc.

hard - autosave only in the beginning of stage/city/etc & 1 or 2 saves during the stage/city/etc.

that would be great addon in my opinion.

PDenton
3rd Sep 2003, 16:53
Originally posted by murka390
I personally would choose "save anytime", and if somebody has mind problems, that can't resist saveing the game all the time :P
well ... thats your problem.
but the best way to solve this, would be to put in options mode (or in the beginning of the game) the option to choose, how will your save's be

smthng like this:

easy - save anytime & autosave @ the beginning of the stage/city/etc.

normal - autosave, when completed a mission, save @ the beginning of the stage/city/etc.

hard - autosave only in the beginning of stage/city/etc & 1 or 2 saves during the stage/city/etc.

that would be great addon in my opinion.
This might work, but what if you had to leave your computer or close the game. The levels like Hong Kong took hours! If you left they you would have to either play until you finish the level, loose hours of gameplay or waste a vital save.:p

Maybe if when you quit it saved the game so that when you came back it would open back up where you left off and you don't have to waste your saves to leave the game.:D

Frost Giant
3rd Sep 2003, 17:17
My sentiments exactly PDenton, you are very wise.

murka390
3rd Sep 2003, 17:21
that's a good idea ;) starts, where you left off.... , when you leave the game.
and if more then one persons play in one computer, then there should be a "player" creation and selection, that everybody has their own game account.