PDA

View Full Version : China bans Tomb Raider II

sbp
30th Aug 2003, 05:50
http://www.mg.co.za/Content/l3.asp?ao=19741

Geez why not ban the Craptacular Gigli instead.

DaveJ
30th Aug 2003, 06:15
Loved this quote by the 'unidentified official':

"The movie does not understand Chinese culture. It does not understand China's security situation. In China there cannot be secret societies...."

Boy, does he have his head in the sand....

"There are no US tanks behind me... Baghdad is perfectly safe...."

RebeL_fARmeR
30th Aug 2003, 18:29
Oh right, I though you meant they banned the second GAME, i was gonna say, they left it a bit late! :D I assumed maybe they somehow took offence to Lara running around on the great wall shooting at things!

Aquarius
30th Aug 2003, 18:50
Originally posted by DaveJ

"There are no US tanks behind me... Baghdad is perfectly safe...."

LMAO! :D

Isn't there some form of medition that China wants to be banned though that's is trying to be kept hush hush? I can't remember the name of it right now off the top of my head.

thanhkim
31st Aug 2003, 09:31
Bloody silly it's a made up movie for Lar's sake even I know that Lar's isn't real man some people get excited.

eurisko
31st Aug 2003, 11:23
ffs. There are other movies/television shows that portray China in a far more negative way than TR-COL. What do they think they're achieving by banning movies just because they don't like the view it presents? And what's banning it on their own shores going to do? If damage is going to be done to their reputation, wouldn't it be the overseas reputation of China that would cop the flogging? Or is it purely a money thing? "We think you're misrepresenting us, so we're going to deny you the millions the movie could pull in our country."

DaveJ
31st Aug 2003, 11:30
Its the denial of 'secret' societies that gets me.

That's the nature of 'secret'.

There could be a 'secret' society in force in my work's canteen and I wouldn't know about it because... well, they're 'secret'.

It would explain a lot though....

Lara Croft Online
31st Aug 2003, 11:43
There is no spoon :D

sbp
31st Aug 2003, 21:13
Aquarius: Falun Gong

Originally posted by thanhkim
Bloody silly it's a made up movie for Lar's sake even I know that Lar's isn't real man some people get excited. Shhh not too loudly, there are some people around here who think she is. http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/shifty.gif

Jorge22
31st Aug 2003, 22:59
What else do you expect from a dictatorship? Democracy? Wide views?

Aquarius
1st Sep 2003, 01:45
Originally posted by sbp
Aquarius: Falun Gong

Thanks :) I knew it started with an F, and I didn't want to say Feng Shui :p ;)

THE True Lara
2nd Sep 2003, 08:16
On the one hand you can't blame them for being over-protective, and I do agree that the film "didn't understand China", but on the other hand I have one word... triads.

But seriously, if Hong Kong was holding the ownous on foriegn film release in China we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think they're going a little over the top considering I found it didn't really have much to do with China at all -it was just a pretty location-, I think the sensors have picked on one little point, taken it to the extreme, and gone on the defensive. Still, I don't think they're missing much anyway. :rolleyes: Let them ban it, Greece banned Friends who cares, those who're desperate to see it will get access elsewhere.