PDA

View Full Version : English accents

TehFreak
29th Aug 2003, 16:46
i seem to remember something about a level set in london. if so, can ion storm for the love of god please do some proper english accents, ie not lame americans mimicking monty python or whatever. please?

Outcast
29th Aug 2003, 19:19
There was no London level. :D Just a Paris level.

WSimons
29th Aug 2003, 21:11
Not that those were any better...

[IS]XXX
29th Aug 2003, 21:29
Apparently, you couldn't speak Cantonese, as the Hong Kong level's voices were fairly good.

RDevz
29th Aug 2003, 21:55
Originally posted by TehFreak
i seem to remember something about a level set in london. if so, can ion storm for the love of god please do some proper english accents, ie not lame americans mimicking monty python or whatever. please?

And by proper accents, for the love of God, don't have everyone sounding as if they're either a generic character from Eastenders or speaking the Queen's English...

[IS]XXX
29th Aug 2003, 22:00
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE BEING INVADED BY DIS'ERS!!!!

(:wave: @ RD)

[SYN] Nexus
29th Aug 2003, 23:21
The French in DX 1 was horrible but didnt make the game any worse.Its still the best game around

Skul-Gun
30th Aug 2003, 00:09
i do a great english accent!

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 09:05
Originally posted by Outcast
There was no London level. :D Just a Paris level. having played through dx 6/7 times i am just about aware of that. i was talking about a potential level in dx2

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:01
the lady in the DXIW intro movie speaks with a slight british accent, pretty nice, but seems too mature for her appearance.

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 10:10
true dat, her voice is slightly towards aristocrate/public-school stereotype #3
and yes, it's completely wrong for her. oh well.

blath
30th Aug 2003, 10:24
Originally posted by Skul-Gun

me too, as it happens (living in england all your life does that to u) altho i think i may struggle with some of the female voices id give it a go :cool:

and they wanna get the accents rite 2- queens english like the woman in the trailer r fine 4 top level government agency style people but most people in the cities or non-aristocrats r jus gonna have normal voices with a BIT of an accent (ie not too much of the "ulroite moit, im from dudloi, hows yow?":) )

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 10:29
indeed. unfortunately its being made by americans, for a market primarily made up of americans, ie cheesy accents will be everywhere. bah. should have made this into a poll, maybe actually influence ion storm into having some common sense. :(

Godwin
30th Aug 2003, 10:30
ah lol
ive seen and heard those accents before on TV(documentaries, news with people in nothern britain/ireland), it's amazing to think that they're actually speaking english.

blath
30th Aug 2003, 10:31
surely ur not suggesting they actually get an english actor with a normal voice r u??? cos then the english people wudnt sound so stupid OR stereotyped, and then wat can u do!

hmph, damn americans

;)

TehFreak
30th Aug 2003, 10:35
if any of you have seen the episode if Will&Grace where will trys to do an english accent, that's prolly what we can expect (for those of you who don't understand, i didn't even reliase that it was supposed to be english untill grace told him to stfu, in slightly politer words)

Bio Denton
30th Aug 2003, 13:28
If anyone from Edios is looking for an English voice actor, I'll do it for free *hint hint*

Skul-Gun
30th Aug 2003, 13:57
the girl outside the lucky money had a good english accent. One problem, she was supposed to be Australian. Ah well.

crimson_stallion
31st Aug 2003, 13:20
the girl outside the lucky money had a good english accent. One problem, she was supposed to be Australian. Ah well.

LOL true that, that was pretty offensive to me (being an Australian). It's so depressing seeign all the aussie movies here (i dont actually watch any of them, but the odd advertisement comes up before movies at hte cinema). They all (probalby purposely) have really lame exhagerated aus accents and its quite embrassing. I think one of the only australian accents in a movie that wasnt too far off was mel gibson in mad max. MOst of them are quite bdly done. I gues the girl's accent at lucky money wasnt TOO bad. The ones made my fake americans are the worst.

Random
31st Aug 2003, 13:54
Mercedes wasn't that bad, actually. It's one of the better fake Australian accents I've heard. Tessa, though ...

Gruf
31st Aug 2003, 21:44
Originally posted by crimson_stallion
LOL true that, that was pretty offensive to me (being an Australian). It's so depressing seeign all the aussie movies here (i dont actually watch any of them, but the odd advertisement comes up before movies at hte cinema). They all (probalby purposely) have really lame exhagerated aus accents and its quite embrassing. I think one of the only australian accents in a movie that wasnt too far off was mel gibson in mad max. MOst of them are quite bdly done. I gues the girl's accent at lucky money wasnt TOO bad. The ones made my fake americans are the worst.

It get's to me when english shows, trying to be exotic, introduce characters from New Zealand, who enter the set saying G'day and procede to talk in the strongest australian accent you've ever heard... Bah!

Skul-Gun
2nd Sep 2003, 23:50
I take it you've seen an episode or two of Time Gentlemen Please then?

Gruf
3rd Sep 2003, 08:40
I take it you've seen an episode or two of Time Gentlemen Please then?

no I havent, why...
Oh God no! not again! leave us alone!

Xenon
4th Sep 2003, 17:32
I heard that there might be a level in Russia. Hope there won't be any typical Russian accents imitated by English-speaking people.

They're ridiculous because:

1) Most people don't have THAT severe accents (it's most weird when combined with a rich vocabulary).

2) When it gets to names I usually just laugh. And these severely mispronounced names can seriously spoil the immersion.

Skul-Gun
4th Sep 2003, 21:52
I am reminded of Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Most of those germans spoke better english than I do.

TehFreak
5th Sep 2003, 17:57
heh, i went on holiday to a place in italy called Wolkenstein. it even had a castle.. :)

BrokenHelix
5th Sep 2003, 18:58
Well with the game being based for those of the American genre... They need to know if a person is Russian, Chinese, or Aussie. So, what do they do? They exaggerate for just that reason, it's not because they only go for Americans doing bad accents, it's so us Americans can understand them IE. you meet a Scotsman in one of the levels... I've been to Scotland, headed up to Loch Ness. I entered there not knowing much about it, I left there not knowing much about it, lol, enough said.

P.S.- I did make out that there was a "Lerge Creture" in it though. Not to be roasting Scots though, I know some people up there, and they're great, but it takes all my attention. Hehehe.

Sadokitty
14th Sep 2003, 14:43
Please please please please do a London level.. it would be so cool instead of doing the places that have been done already before in the original Deus Ex..

Xenon
14th Sep 2003, 17:59
Well, they may exaggerate accents if they like it (although it's quite unrealistic) but mispronouncing names spoils the whole idea.

But they've already made the game, now they're tweaking it.

Spoonman
15th Sep 2003, 08:23
Interesting stuff about americans, that is. I was really fascinated by a Paris level when I met that woman who's lost her entire family. So she's all weeping, she's very sad, and when she sees me, she starts to speak english. Why the hell would she do THAT? I mean, I think a normal person would have spoken french, assuming that most people in Paris speak french, lol!

As for Russian accents, yeah, I guess that was mentioned right. Although about names, I've always been pissed off by the way they use russian names in american or european (english language) movies. For example, in "Enemy at the gates", the movie about a Russian sniper Vassily Zaytsev there was a strange detail. As you can remember, there was a sniper platoon with two lovers... Can't quite remember the names, but they kept calling each other with the long variations.

Now, most russian names have variations, like
Alexander - Sasha, Shurik, Sanjah
Dmitry - Dimah, Mitjah
And so on... I bet two lovers would never call each other by their official full names, but they would call each other by their short, more friendly names.

I hope this doesn't sound too confused :)!

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Sep 2003, 10:26
Interesting stuff about americans, that is. I was really fascinated by a Paris level when I met that woman who's lost her entire family. So she's all weeping, she's very sad, and when she sees me, she starts to speak english. Why the hell would she do THAT? I mean, I think a normal person would have spoken french, assuming that most people in Paris speak french, lol!

it's the year 2052. reason has taken over the world and everybody has been enlightened and has understood the good in speaking english. even french people. (after all, if we need a law to prevent administration from using to many english words, I think French language is about to disappear).

that, or USA/England have bargained the use of English all over the world against them using the metric or the SI system. (and we were srewed, because in DX1, the lbs/feet system is still used)

Spoonman
15th Sep 2003, 11:19
Originally posted by Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
it's the year 2052. reason has taken over the world and everybody has been enlightened and has understood the good in speaking english. even french people. (after all, if we need a law to prevent administration from using to many english words, I think French language is about to disappear).

Interesting... Why do you think that such 'enlightenment' might only lead to people switching to English language? What I mean is, if you flip a couple of history books' pages, you won't find any case of some nation switching to a foreign language during thousands of years. Then why should every nation on the planet for some reason switch to english 49 years later (especially French)? :)

Well, maybe this can happen, i.e. there always is a first time, but why English? Currently, the most spoken language is Chinese :)

Sorry, but I still don't see any logic there.

Anyway, what good it is to speak english? I mean, if your administration is using too much French words, maybe English isn't very good for such causes? (No offence there, just asking)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
15th Sep 2003, 12:32
hum

<--- french here

and check signature

Xenon
16th Sep 2003, 15:07
An example of a Russian name from Empire Earth, Russian campaign: Grigor Ilyanich Stoyanovich & his friend Ïüîòòð (to those who don't understand: Pyottr in cyrillic to emphasize pronounciation).

As for English in Paris: if we disregard random regards like "I didn't know, how could I know" it's OK that this woman in Paris starts speaking English since when you "use" a person JC is supposed to address him/her somehow and he probably addressed this particular woman in English.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
16th Sep 2003, 15:40
hmmm and when the french couple with the child speak together in english? if they are french, there is absolutly no reason for them to speak english. except that if they were speaking french, I don't think that many player would have understood

(now that I'm speaking of it, I can't remember if they had a french accent. they might have been english, after all)

TehFreak
16th Sep 2003, 17:00
"hmmm and when the french couple with the child speak together in english?" because people that have bought the english speaking copy of the game probably speak english rather than english. should all dx players have to learn to speak french fluently? oh, and cantonese too.

Catman
16th Sep 2003, 17:17
Seems to me the man had a somewhat French accent and the woman an American accent. It was hard to tell because she was so uptight.

BMKane
16th Sep 2003, 20:14
Well, JC's supposed to be a well educated UNATCO agent, so maybe he speaks french. Just, since the end user of the game can't speak all the languages JC speaks, they display them in English. Sorta how they put <> around phrases in Megatokyo to show they're spoken in Japanese.

Skul-gun: Best. Signature. EVER.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 07:33
"hmmm and when the french couple with the child speak together in english?" because people that have bought the english speaking copy of the game probably speak english rather than english. should all dx players have to learn to speak french fluently? oh, and cantonese too.

I understand the characters have to speak english (and by the way the french version only changed the text of the subtiltes, not the voices (at least we avoided a crappy dubbing, like in Max Payne).

I was just answering to Xenon about the fact that the people in Paris spoke english to JC because he talked to them in english.

and that was NOT an attack.

/me install Japanes, Cantonese and English Augs, and upgrades to level 4

Bio Denton
17th Sep 2003, 13:38
I am reminded of Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Most of those germans spoke better english than I do.

Most people speak better english than Americans :P

*Waits for it*

Bio Denton
17th Sep 2003, 13:40
hmmm and when the french couple with the child speak together in english? if they are french, there is absolutly no reason for them to speak english. except that if they were speaking french, I don't think that many player would have understood

(now that I'm speaking of it, I can't remember if they had a french accent. they might have been english, after all)

The man had a French accent and the woman had an English accent.

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 13:43
ok, that might explain why they speak english : the man, being french, politely speaks to his wife in her mothertongue

Godwin
17th Sep 2003, 13:44
i think most people of that generation in the future in those cities should know some english, though accents are another matter, they should try to get local people to do the job, it might be expensive, but it'll be real

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
17th Sep 2003, 13:49
I could do it for free.

And I'm sure a lot of DX fans around the world would agree to do it for free to, just to have their name in the credits

Skul-Gun
17th Sep 2003, 19:36
And I'm sure a lot of DX fans around the world would agree to do it for free to, just to have their name in the credits

I agree, a lot of companies, bands, etc. do that sort of thing. The foo fighters had their fans in the second Times Like These music video, and from what i hear, it was pretty hard work for them because they had to carry a whole load of junk across fields and throw it over a bridge. And this was a 'prize' from a competition. Naturally the fans lapped it up for free though. I only wish i could've been there.

The same applies with this game.

Originally posted by Bio Denton
Most people speak better english than Americans :P

Me being one of them :p

Originally posted by BMKane
Skul-gun: Best. Signature. EVER.

Thankyou, i love feedback. It turned out to be bigger than i expected, but when i resized it, it looked horrible so i kept the original size

PDenton
17th Sep 2003, 20:52
Perhaps JC had special nanites in his ears that allow him to understand all different languages, however the people sometimes have an accent because the nanites are still in the experimental stage!:p

Orinoco
18th Sep 2003, 16:27
Hmmm, special nanites, or a bablefish perhaps .....

I see nothing wrong with the NPCs speaking in their mother tongue, as long as the subtitles were in the correct language for the gamer.

If you really wanted to be realistic, why not have JC start every conversation with 'Sorry, do you speak English...?'

Maybe they did all speak in their mother tongue and Alex [or Tracer] ran a translation for JC and uploaded it via the info-link in real time. The reply was then re-coded for JC and given in the language he was addressed in.

Alternately you could say, hey this is a game, lets have fun, rather than get upset by it.

Godwin
19th Sep 2003, 08:34
it'll be cool if NPCs would curse in their mother tongue when you do something to offend them, then you'll be like, "huh?"

regarding hong kong, dont think that just because it's in asia, and supposedly part of china, that no one knows english, the world is very globalised(like i said beforehand), and observe the environment in HK, the neon signs in english, wouldnt that indicate that people would speak english as well?

Centauro
19th Sep 2003, 13:39
Well if you consider that J.C. went to a school in Switzerland, it's no wonder he talks French. Plus, he might have learned a lot of languages very quickly b/c he has EVERY NEURON AUGMENTED, as Jaime tells him by email.

AlteredGlyph
19th Sep 2003, 16:41
Every neuron augmented? No wonder everybody else in the game world seems so stupid.:D

sKiPpA
19th Sep 2003, 20:04
Yeah, your right about the accents. I think they're some form of bastardised 'Estuary English' - ie there was no local accents... Brits will know what I'm on about.

Lucky Money? How about a level with a club based in our notorious Bigg Market and loads of Geordie accents? Americans wouldn't understand what the hell the characters were saying.... (its all part of the conspiracy, I tell you).

Just played through the original Deus Ex again and yes it still rocks :-)

Montial
21st Sep 2003, 23:29

everyone thinks their english accent is great :)

Montial
21st Sep 2003, 23:47
Originally posted by Godwin
...the neon signs in english, wouldnt that indicate that people would speak english as well?...

Not necessarily, the japanese and the like have many of their products labeled in (usually bad) english. Not as a convenience but as a glamour thing. If you have english on your product, its better! (aren't we englis great?!?!)
Check out this (www.engrish.com) great site.

p.s. I'm not american, I'm a kiwi. We're like high quality australians.
Jokes! :)

Spoonman
22nd Sep 2003, 13:47
Originally posted by Montial
Not necessarily, the japanese and the like have many of their products labeled in (usually bad) english. Not as a convenience but as a glamour thing. If you have english on your product, its better! (aren't we englis great?!?!)

This, I guess, is done because the product is intended to be exported. I doubt that 'japanese and the like' mark their product in english for their internal market use. :)

Again about french people in DX level. For me it always sound cool when in movies people use their mothertongue and the translation is done via the subtitles, though, as in "Snatch" the speech don't always mean what the subtitles do.:)

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
23rd Sep 2003, 08:47
I doubt that 'japanese and the like' mark their product in english for their internal market use.

actually they do

and they also use french.

but it isn't because everybody speaks english or french, but rather like Montial said, because of marketing reasons, to enhance the attractiveness of the product (and what is amazing, it WORKS!)

TehFreak
24th Sep 2003, 21:41
the use english text like we use japanese/chinese text, its just a design thing

BMKane
28th Sep 2003, 15:05
Ironically, I've never met a single American or Canadian in my life that speaks proper english. We use so much slang and horrible grammer it's like a whole other lanuage :P

Gotta say though, it would have been cooler if everyone spoke their first language, and the subtitles were in the gamer's language. It'd lend a bit of realism to the game.

TehFreak
29th Sep 2003, 15:41
...but quite difficult for those that turn the subtitles off...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
29th Sep 2003, 15:57
a wonderful opportunity to learn new foreign languages!!

(thus enhancing the pedagogic aspect of the game.)

TehFreak
29th Sep 2003, 16:03
the what?

Xenon
29th Sep 2003, 16:34
One could make special subtitles for foreign languages...

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Sep 2003, 07:26
the what?

educative?

(isn't "pedagogic" english? damn, where is my dictionary)

Catman
30th Sep 2003, 13:05
Pedagogic isn't a word generally used save by folks like me who are educators. We use it when we want to sound self-important.

I would have said "thus enhancing the educational value of the game."

Le`Sauveur`De`Ces`Dames
30th Sep 2003, 13:11
(another $50 I just lost?)

I didn't want to sound pedantic, "pedagogic" is not so unusual in french

Catman
30th Sep 2003, 13:15
Yes, but you have more philosophers per pound than pretty much everyone else: Foucault, Derrida, Decartes ... and the list goes on. ;)